Shingles = heating pad - try it !

Posted in the Shingles Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
marty

Sioux Falls, SD

#1 Dec 26, 2008
40 years old. Recently went through shingles. It came off the back of may neck, across my shoulder and down my chest a bit.
I found that a heating pad on the nerve root (where the rash comes off the spine) eliminated 95 percent of the pain. It was HUGE!
So, in my case, it was a heating pad to the back of the neck.
Don't know that this is right for everyone, but if it helps 1 person it was worth posting.
Kimmy

Crystal Lake, IL

#2 Dec 4, 2010
Marty, It was worth posting. My husband is 38, and just got shingles last week. Even the Norco doesn't help him. He took a shower today, and said the shower and heat felt good. I did a google search to see if a heating pad would work. I saw your post, and purchased one. He feels so much better. His is near the base of the spine, but closer to the left hip. OUCH! I am sorry for anyone to go through that. But yes. Heating pad works. Thanks for posting Marty.
Lillian

Highland, NY

#3 Dec 9, 2010
I am now in the 3rd week of shingles. I am now in the recovery stage. I am on Neurontin
Vicroprofen. I still get terrible flair ups of nerve pain. I use the heating pad all day.
The heating pad helps to calm those flaired up nerves. I could not have made it without
the heating pad. But I must stay I do get some moments of relief. So with that alone I know I am starting to heal. There is hope.
anneyim

Lincoln, NE

#4 Apr 19, 2011
I came down with shingles two weeks ago and discovered the relief of heat with a shower, like Marty. My heating pad has been a great help. Anti-virals in the first week kept my rash from getting bad, but I am having nerve pain. I came looking for answers, because I don't want to inadvertently make things worse using the heating pad. I'm encouraged to keep it up. Thanks!
Sunny64068

Kansas City, MO

#5 Aug 16, 2011
I agree. I came down with shingles last Saturday. The pain is amazing. My rash is at the base of my spine and since I'm on Prednisone don't think it's going to crust. And hopefully will keep it from spreading. But the nerve pain, omg. I too got in the shower today and the heat felt good. So, I'm sitting here with the heating pad on my back and instead of taking a hydrocodone pill, took some ibuprofen.
Jules

Belleville, WI

#6 Sep 18, 2011
I am in my 5th week of shingles with severe stabbing upper back and side pain. I am taking Gabapentin, Naproxin, Tylenol 3 & Lidoderm patches, getting minimal relief. We recently had a few cold nights so I plugged in the electric mattress pad we have on our bed rather than turn on the furnace. This is an electric mattress pad not an electric blanket. To my amazement, I would feel better in the morning. It took a couple of mornings before I realized that it was the heat making things better. Even on a low setting it was enough warmth over several hours that must have relaxed the area on my back that was so inflamed. So I will attest to heat being a possible way for some of us to get relief from this miserable virus.
Robin

Watertown, MA

#7 Oct 15, 2011
I thank you all for your posts:) I just came down with the rash last night, after having the pain for about a week. I thought it was a pulled muscle, but the Doctor told me to watch for a rash and sure enough! I am using a heating pad all the time and it feels sooo good. I wanted to find out if it really helps by going on line to ask others. I hope I feel better soon:(
henry wilson

Pontefract, UK

#8 Oct 21, 2011
i caught shingles on 3 4 11.i still have the after pain now.pain is about 12 out of 10 at times.i have been on amitripline,it did not work after reaching 5 per night,8 tramadol a day and 8 paracetamol a day.i was walking around like zombie.i then went to a different doctor.he stopped my tramadol and my amitrpiline and put me on 1 100 mg of gabapentin.to cut a long storie and much pain later i am on 700mg in the morning 700mg in the afternoon and 700mg at night.i have just started putting a plaster on for 12 hours called versatis 5% and have some pain but not so much.my first pains lasted 38 mins to 6mins.
henry wilson

Leeds, UK

#9 Oct 22, 2011
i am on 700 gabapentin,morn aft night. i put aplaster on 12 hours.this is my 4th day.it is called versatis 5% medicated plaster.it contains lidocaine,a local anaesthetic.i still have my pains,9/10 ,but not as often,and not as long.but it is early days.i discribe my pain as bolt of lightning,just below my left breast,then my sheet of lighting spreading to my back.thats all for now.
henry wilson

Harrogate, UK

#10 Oct 29, 2011
i have been onmy medication plaster for 9 days now.they have reduced the pain, but i still get the bolt and the sheet lighting for up to 11mins now, and do not know when an attack is coming.
henry wilson

Harrogate, UK

#11 Nov 18, 2011
i have been on my plaster over amonth now and i am pleased to say my pain has greatly reduced, pain down to twice to three times a day.
Becki Waterville NY

Clayville, NY

#12 Feb 18, 2012
This was great news. My Mother is 81 and lives with me she has a rash and it blistered. It's Sunday her back is killing her I am going to call the Dr. tomorrow. She is loving the heating pad on it but I checked out online re-shingles. Sure enough looks like what she has and then I looked on here to see if it was ok to put a heating pad on her back. Thank you for all your posts. I wanted to make sure the heat that was making her feel better wasn't going to make her worse in the out come. You helped me tremendously.
Virginia

Detroit, MI

#13 Mar 13, 2012
I have had shingles since Nov 2011 nothing has improve the nature of this matter. Nerve pain is really out of this world. I have mix cream with all kinds of hot/cold pad & heating pad. Since I have had a kidney transplant. I have to watch for the medication that I take. So if anyone out there can do better it would be nice to know.
Phillip

Springhill, LA

#14 Mar 25, 2012
Second bout without serious rash. Two 500 aspirin, hot showers, and my hot pad. The hot pad stays in my lounge chair.
manda

Mountain Home, AR

#15 Mar 26, 2012
I come down with the shingles almost every month and the meds don't seem to help but the heating pad releaves alot if you are able to stay in one spot for awhile, I can't , my boss doesn't get it so I have to work with the pain so do you know of anything I can use at work
marty wrote:
40 years old. Recently went through shingles. It came off the back of may neck, across my shoulder and down my chest a bit.
I found that a heating pad on the nerve root (where the rash comes off the spine) eliminated 95 percent of the pain. It was HUGE!
So, in my case, it was a heating pad to the back of the neck.
Don't know that this is right for everyone, but if it helps 1 person it was worth posting.
Jules

Belleville, WI

#16 Mar 26, 2012
manda wrote:
I come down with the shingles almost every month and the meds don't seem to help but the heating pad releaves alot if you are able to stay in one spot for awhile, I can't , my boss doesn't get it so I have to work with the pain so do you know of anything I can use at work
<quoted text>
Manda--I have seen adhesive heat patches at our local Walgreens store that might work for you. They come in different sizes. I have a friend with lower back pain and she wears one often when she is at work. She says it gives her enough warmth to relax the area. This might give you some relief also. Hope this helps.
Cheri

Ijamsville, MD

#17 May 23, 2012
I am dealing with shingles now (so far without the rash). The radiating, stabbing pain is awful. When this started I was treating my back for a muscle spasm, using heat and ice alternating. The heat I use is a flax sock which creates moist heat. (you just fill a tube sock with flax seed, tie it off with a leather string) I put it in the microwave for 2:40. I realized when I was putting this on my right side and back for the muscle spasm that it comforted the shingles area. Now I can't go without it. Within a minute or so after I remove the flax sock, the pain starts back up. May not work for everyone but it brought me so much relief I thought I would share.
Tamra

Clarksville, TN

#18 Jun 7, 2012
Had stabbing pain then broke out with rash....in and on left ear trailing down my neck, went up into scalp......the blisters are drying but the stabbing pain is unreal.....am living on Advil as I can,t take strong pain meds.....all it does is dull it some at times.....have layed on heating pad and it seems to take the edge off....so I figured it couldn't hurt....good luck to everyone I never knew this was such a painful virus
gina

United States

#19 Jul 13, 2012
Hello. My dear husband is suffering from shingle nerve pain in his groin and below...:( The narcotic meds don't touch his pain. We just put the heating pad on him and added a couple of advil. It's giving him more relief from the heating pad than he has had even with his shot of demeral. Thank you..
Derek

Modesto, CA

#20 Aug 14, 2012
This is such great advice. For many, heating pads bring relief from the pain of shingles.

It's amazing how simple, little fixes can provide much superior relief compared to medication.

Derek
http://TreatmentForShinglesNow.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Numbness with a side of Pins and Needles (Mar '11) Mar 16 Leah L 49
Shingles with abdominal swelling (Dec '12) Mar 15 fred 134
Corneal swelling from shingles (Mar '15) Mar 9 Opiecat2 4
Facial shingles Mar 9 Opiecat2 2
recurring shingles (Feb '09) Mar 4 21hfisher 875
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) Mar 3 sud 204
People who have Reoccurring shingles Feb 28 Diane B 2
More from around the web