what is an effective treatment for sc...

what is an effective treatment for scabies on scalp & face?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wantmylifeback

Dover Plains, NY

#1 Jan 21, 2014
Please someone help! I have tried the Permethrin cream, Eurax, Malathion, Benzyl Benzoate and Ivermectin pills. Used alternative methods....neem, tea tree, clove oil, Ted's Borax & peroxide rinse. Right now I have Advantix II w/ grapeseed oil on my body and scalp (on day 2). Unfortunately, I still feel movement and crawling on my scalp! I don't know what else to do and what is strong enough to penetrate the scalp. I can't get cured from this disease unless I get them off my scalp. Someone must know a treatment to help me. I would appreciate any feedback that is reasonable.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Evelyn

Orlando, FL

#2 Jan 21, 2014
Please click on more scabies discussions above and read my Killing these monsters and know how to stay rid of them. I suffered from it for 7 months and am finally cured and have been since November of 2013.
Evelyn

Orlando, FL

#3 Jan 21, 2014
Understand that I went through it being in my hair in my eyes and face and just plainly all over and now I am free completely.
wantmylifeback

Dover Plains, NY

#4 Jan 23, 2014
Evelyn wrote:
Understand that I went through it being in my hair in my eyes and face and just plainly all over and now I am free completely.
How did you cure it in your scalp? PLEASE help!
wantmylifeback

Dover Plains, NY

#5 Jan 24, 2014
Evelyn wrote:
Evelyn, I don't see that thread on the forum. Would you please post what you did to get the scabies out of your scalp, face and eyes. I would greatly appreciate it...I'm really desperate to get rid of these things!
dbe

Sparta, TN

#6 Jan 24, 2014
wantmylifeback wrote:
<quoted text>
Evelyn, I don't see that thread on the forum. Would you please post what you did to get the scabies out of your scalp, face and eyes. I would greatly appreciate it...I'm really desperate to get rid of these things!
go to a doctor to get special treatment they will give u lotion and such to rid them.
wantmylifeback

Dover Plains, NY

#7 Jan 25, 2014
dbe wrote:
<quoted text>
go to a doctor to get special treatment they will give u lotion and such to rid them.
Thanks for the advice but...been there done that. The dermatologists are useless and so are the Infectious Disease doctors. I have tried many scabacides on my head i.e., permethrin, malathion, benzyl benzoate, Eurax and ivermectin pills. NONE of them are strong enough to penetrate the scalp and kill these f**kers. I need something that will deeply penetrate into the scalp and be effective enough to get rid of them. PLEASE someone out there have any advice?
evelyn

Orlando, FL

#8 Jan 26, 2014
`I completely understand how you feel. I failed the first time around but I am telling your sincerely to please try it he way I said too in my forum killing these monsters and knowing how to stay rid of them. I suffered for 7 months of this crap cried and was highly depressed but I strengthened the amount of tea tree oil and did it in steps and I am finally free. Believe me I have hair down to my bottom and I had scabies in my eyes and on my face and all over. I really want people to follow the steps properly. I have been free of it since November.
evelyn

Orlando, FL

#9 Jan 26, 2014
Please get a pen and a paper. Please note your total cost of buying tea tree oil depends on where you live. My last try of this only cost me about 26.00. You will need 3 6 oz. bottles You will need to add 2 table spoons of tea tree oil to all three bottles. Take one and put shampoo in it and shake well. Take the 2nd and put body wash of your choice I recommend something strong in scent as tea tree oil stinks. The 3rd bottle you will fill with baby oil or grape seed oil. This should last you for the 12 days that you have to do this for. I know it stinks but you will begin to notice the difference after the process. Please understand around the 6th to 7th day you will feel itching and it is due to the last bit of eggs that have hatched. Now I washed my hair everyday but that was due to me working two jobs. For the shampoo please use 3 days on 1 day off and then every other day. The body wash 2 times a day if you can. I recommend morning and night. Boil a nice size pot of water and take with you in the bathroom. Place the pot by the side of the tub, place the pure tea tree oil by the side of the tub as well. When taking a shower leave shampoo in your hair while you wash your body. Once you wash your body do not rinse stay back from the water for about 3 to 5 minutes then rinse. Yes you can use it on your face but I do recommend that you fan your face with your hand and open the shower curtain some as the smell and sting is strong due to our faces being sensitive. When you are done showering start to fill your tub with hot water while you sit in the tub. Gradually turn off the cold water to be able to tolerate to heat of the water. Lay in the tub while it is filling up. Take a table spoon of tea tree oil and stir it in the tub and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. If your water start to cool down add the pot of water gradually to the tub and stir or swish the water so it stays hot. When done dry your self and take the tea tree oil and baby oil mix and rub some all over your body. Try to get some in your scalp a little and make sure to get your feet and under your feet. Now for your clothes, towels, sheets etc. You will need to steam iron them as soon as they come out the dryer I know its nuts but I did it for 6 in my house hold and I work two jobs. You can do it you just have to say to your self you want to get rid of this. Your sheets on your bed wash and iron them every other day. Clean your house as you naturally would. Vacuum everyday rugs couch. But no extra stuff. As scabies likes to try to stay in clothes and blankets its easier to get to your skin so make sure to steam iron everything even clothes hanging in the closets of drawers :)
wantmylifeback

Dover Plains, NY

#10 Jan 28, 2014
evelyn wrote:
Please get a pen and a paper. Please note your total cost of buying tea tree oil depends on where you live. My last try of this only cost me about 26.00. You will need 3 6 oz. bottles You will need to add 2 table spoons of tea tree oil to all three bottles. Take one and put shampoo in it and shake well. Take the 2nd and put body wash of your choice I recommend something strong in scent as tea tree oil stinks. The 3rd bottle you will fill with baby oil or grape seed oil. This should last you for the 12 days that you have to do this for. I know it stinks but you will begin to notice the difference after the process. Please understand around the 6th to 7th day you will feel itching and it is due to the last bit of eggs that have hatched. Now I washed my hair everyday but that was due to me working two jobs. For the shampoo please use 3 days on 1 day off and then every other day. The body wash 2 times a day if you can. I recommend morning and night. Boil a nice size pot of water and take with you in the bathroom. Place the pot by the side of the tub, place the pure tea tree oil by the side of the tub as well. When taking a shower leave shampoo in your hair while you wash your body. Once you wash your body do not rinse stay back from the water for about 3 to 5 minutes then rinse. Yes you can use it on your face but I do recommend that you fan your face with your hand and open the shower curtain some as the smell and sting is strong due to our faces being sensitive. When you are done showering start to fill your tub with hot water while you sit in the tub. Gradually turn off the cold water to be able to tolerate to heat of the water. Lay in the tub while it is filling up. Take a table spoon of tea tree oil and stir it in the tub and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. If your water start to cool down add the pot of water gradually to the tub and stir or swish the water so it stays hot. When done dry your self and take the tea tree oil and baby oil mix and rub some all over your body. Try to get some in your scalp a little and make sure to get your feet and under your feet. Now for your clothes, towels, sheets etc. You will need to steam iron them as soon as they come out the dryer I know its nuts but I did it for 6 in my house hold and I work two jobs. You can do it you just have to say to your self you want to get rid of this. Your sheets on your bed wash and iron them every other day. Clean your house as you naturally would. Vacuum everyday rugs couch. But no extra stuff. As scabies likes to try to stay in clothes and blankets its easier to get to your skin so make sure to steam iron everything even clothes hanging in the closets of drawers :)
Hi Evelyn...thanks for your response. I am going on 7 months with this sh*t and have really had it. My husband and kids did not catch it yet Thank God! But I'm tired of walking around the house wearing gloves and cleaning constantly. I'm completely worn out from this and VERY depressed. It's nice to know that someone else has gone through this and got cured. I will try your protocol with the TTO. Right now I'm doing the Advantix II and will see what happens. Unfotunately, I still have crawling on my head. Will keep you posted as to the outcome.:)
evelyn

Orlando, FL

#11 Jan 29, 2014
I wish you the best hun. I know its hard thats why I had to get back on this site and share how I finally got rid of it. I felt I owed it to everyone to learn how I did it :)
Janadel

Spring Valley, CA

#12 Jan 29, 2014
evelyn wrote:
Please get a pen and a paper....sheets on your bed wash and iron them every other day.... As scabies likes to try to stay in clothes and blankets its easier to get to your skin so make sure to steam iron everything even clothes hanging in the closets of drawers :)
Evelyn...a mangle iron would be perfect for doing this don't you think? I just looked on eBay and there are some older ones for sale. I'm not sure they are still being make. All I've seen are the older used ones. I've not seen any new ones in years. I remember using my mothers. We ironed everything thing on her mangle iron back in the 50's. Mangle Irons are very handy things to have in situations like this!.
evelyn

Orlando, FL

#13 Jan 29, 2014
Janadel wrote:
<quoted text> Evelyn...a mangle iron would be perfect for doing this don't you think? I just looked on eBay and there are some older ones for sale. I'm not sure they are still being make. All I've seen are the older used ones. I've not seen any new ones in years. I remember using my mothers. We ironed everything thing on her mangle iron back in the 50's. Mangle Irons are very handy things to have in situations like this!.
I just used a regular Iron that has a steam button. I had a bottle of water next to me to refill the iron. I pressed the crap out of that steam button so much just to make sure I steamed the clothes good. I steamed everything my kids underwear, socks, bras, shirts pj's towels hand towel wash cloths pants you name it I steamed the little suckers to death. I wanted to make sure when I put my clothes on I didn't feel nothing crawling on me. My tea tree oil method worked great right along with me ironing everything once it came out the dryer. I started noticing the difference on my face as my pimples starting going away and I noticed the difference in my scalp that it became more itch free. I was thrilled when I starting being less itchy and then it just all went away. I did stay ironing for an extra two weeks after just to be safe but I am glad I did.
Angela

Malden, MA

#15 Feb 9, 2014
I've tried everything I read. I am having some success with Synergy Labs vet formular clinical care anti parasitic medicated shampoo with coal tar, saicylic acid and micronized sulfer it has helped. Plus I use affine toothed comb. I have mites but think they are different from scabies mites.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#16 Feb 9, 2014
Angela wrote:
I've tried everything I read. I am having some success with Synergy Labs vet formular clinical care anti parasitic medicated shampoo with coal tar, saicylic acid and micronized sulfer it has helped. Plus I use affine toothed comb. I have mites but think they are different from scabies mites.
Thanks Angela... I may try this. Do you have black and white specs falling off of you? If so this is definitely scabies. I brought a sample of one of these specs to my derm. She sent it out to the lab and confirmed it was scabies. What do you use on your face? I've had them there as well?

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#17 Feb 9, 2014
wantmylifeback wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Angela... I may try this. Do you have black and white specs falling off of you? If so this is definitely scabies. I brought a sample of one of these specs to my derm. She sent it out to the lab and confirmed it was scabies. What do you use on your face? I've had them there as well?
Here's something you might try it worked for me all except for my fingers but you may not have that problem:
One thing that got them off my head was to use the De La Cruz brand of 10% precipitated sulfur acne ointment once a day all over my scalp then wash hair each day and re-apply. It didn't burn me at all but the sulfur soap did. I did not water it down either, I used it straight from the jar. It's messy but if you hold up sections of your hair you can apply it with a q-tip all over your scalp, around, in and behind ears and neck area and if your careful and don't use globs of it, it won't make your hair stick together, nobody could see it in my hair but I was careful when I brushed my hair so that it didn't get on the brush and spread down my hair. This stuff is made for treating acne so you can use it on your face. If you have sensitive skin there, you might try leaving it on as long as possible then rinsing it off- it is water rinsable.

Having said that, please understand I was using this stuff all over my entire body, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Did not burn me but weirdly It made me cold and that may have just been me having some weird reaction to it, you may not react that way. This ointment is 10% precipitated sulfur, precipitated means that the sulfur particles are small enough to penetrate the skin. I never found it on my sheets after applying so I know it was absorbing into my skin. The base of this product is not petrolatum as what is sometimes prescribed for very young children and pregnant women. The base that the sulfur is in is PEG (Polyethylene Glycol) PEG is also used in otc laxative products that your ingest such as Miralax.

I used it for about 2 months straight, it got rid of all of them on my head and body within the first 2 weeks BUT for some reason, it just did not work on my fingers :( if it had worked on my fingers like the rest of my body I'd have gotten rid of them long ago.

Some Walgreens keep it in stock so you can call and ask if they have it, you might try other chain store pharmacies and if you can't find it locally as was my case, I bought it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/SULFUR-OINTMENT-POWERFU...

Location hidden

#18 Feb 9, 2014
wantmylifeback wrote:
Please someone help! I have tried the Permethrin cream, Eurax, Malathion, Benzyl Benzoate and Ivermectin pills. Used alternative methods....neem, tea tree, clove oil, Ted's Borax & peroxide rinse. Right now I have Advantix II w/ grapeseed oil on my body and scalp (on day 2). Unfortunately, I still feel movement and crawling on my scalp! I don't know what else to do and what is strong enough to penetrate the scalp. I can't get cured from this disease unless I get them off my scalp. Someone must know a treatment to help me. I would appreciate any feedback that is reasonable.
To get them out of your hair try mixing about 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil into a full bottle of hair conditioner- mix it well then apply the conditioner to your scalp and hair each night making sure to work the conditioner down into your scalp, behind and inside of ears and hairline around your entire head. You'll know if you got the mixture strong enough if your scalp feels tingly, then wear a shower cap to bed and leave it on all night or as long as you can, then wash it out each day. You will have to be treating your body with something else at the same time, either the sulfur products if you haven't tried that yet. If you use the sulfur treatments, be prepared that it may take a month or two to finally get rid of them.

I know you said you already tried the tea tree oil, I don't know if you left it on all night on your scalp, used full strength etc, but you may want to try it again in this manner, and at same time, use a sulfur product topically all over (and I do mean ALL OVER- even THERE), my teen son got rid of his scabies within 2-3 weeks of daily application of sulfur soap lather. After he'd showered with a moisturizing body wash or bar soap, he lathered up with the sulfur soap and did not rinse it off, gently patted dry trying not to remove any more of the lather than he had to, then he spread the remaining damp spots around on his skin to help his skin dry faster and used the blow dryer on himself. He did have a little bit of irritation but not bad and he put antibiotic ointment on those irritated spots so he could keep using the sulfur soap daily.

This is the soap we used, we buy it from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Sulphur-Soap-Premium-Su...

Since: Feb 09

Franklin, NH

#19 Feb 9, 2014
wantmylifeback wrote:
I had terrible outbreaks for months, though I didn't get it on my scalp, doctors say that they don't infest the scalp, so make sure there isn't another thing going on as well- that said the ONLY thing that worked for me was Neem, which you can buy through Amazon. I showered with Theraneem soap twice a day. In the morning, since I had to go to work and neem has an odd odor I used Theraneem lotion which is kind of incense-y grapefruity (and not sticky at all) and easily covered with a light body spray or cologne. At night I lotioned up good with Neem oil mixed with a body lotion, Suave cocoa butter is very good, or even just cocoa butter lotion from the dollar store. I took Neem capsules which I feel was very effective. You will feel relief quite soon, though you will have to treat for a long time, it's been a few months and I'm still using the lotion and soap, though the outbreaks I've had have been very, very minor. Theraneem makes a shampoo too, though I would be tempted to tell you to just lotion up your scalp with the oil-lotion mix at first and wear a scarf or something to bed at night. I may be over it, but I still get some minor itching so I am very hesitant to stop just yet as I'm petrified of going back to where I was. I was so, so relieved at how well this has worked after the agony, even scrubbing myself with dilute bleach every night. You may want to try swimming in a chlorinated pool too. Good luck. Believe me, all of us here KNOW. My heart goes out to you. Oh, also Neem should be very safe on your face, and don't mix it too heavily, you don't need a lot. Just don't use the oil straight, it may irritate.
so sick of this

Cabot, AR

#20 Feb 10, 2014
katcelata wrote:
<quoted text>
I had terrible outbreaks for months, though I didn't get it on my scalp, doctors say that they don't infest the scalp, so make sure there isn't another thing going on as well- that said the ONLY thing that worked for me was Neem, which you can buy through Amazon. I showered with Theraneem soap twice a day. In the morning, since I had to go to work and neem has an odd odor I used Theraneem lotion which is kind of incense-y grapefruity (and not sticky at all) and easily covered with a light body spray or cologne. At night I lotioned up good with Neem oil mixed with a body lotion, Suave cocoa butter is very good, or even just cocoa butter lotion from the dollar store. I took Neem capsules which I feel was very effective. You will feel relief quite soon, though you will have to treat for a long time, it's been a few months and I'm still using the lotion and soap, though the outbreaks I've had have been very, very minor. Theraneem makes a shampoo too, though I would be tempted to tell you to just lotion up your scalp with the oil-lotion mix at first and wear a scarf or something to bed at night. I may be over it, but I still get some minor itching so I am very hesitant to stop just yet as I'm petrified of going back to where I was. I was so, so relieved at how well this has worked after the agony, even scrubbing myself with dilute bleach every night. You may want to try swimming in a chlorinated pool too. Good luck. Believe me, all of us here KNOW. My heart goes out to you. Oh, also Neem should be very safe on your face, and don't mix it too heavily, you don't need a lot. Just don't use the oil straight, it may irritate.
All the drs my family saw were clueless and still believe that perm cream cures scabies for every body, they even blamed us when it didn't work saying we didn't apply it right (I used 10 tubes over 3-4 months and had my husband watch me and help me apply it) and most of them still believe that scabies don't go above the neck but both me and my son had visible burrows on our faces and we had bites all over our scalps and hairline areas too. Even the printed instructions that came with the cream from the pharmacy said "apply from the head down to soles of feet". Apparently the drug manufacturer realizes they go above the neck or they wouldn't have that in the prescribing information. I read that in Australia, in the Aboriginal tribes that live in coastal areas, they do go above the neck so now that strain of scabies has been spread around the world but still drs keep their heads in the sand and refuse to listen to patients or believe us.

My sister used neem oil on all her bites twice a day, then used Theraneem lotion all over body daily and washed daily with Theraneem soap. She wasn't heavily infested like I was though. For scalp, she got powdered neem leaves from the health food store, made a paste and worked it down to her scalp then left on overnight and slept in a shower cap and washed hair in the mornings. She stopped getting bites/burrows after 2 weeks, but continued to do her regimen for 6 weeks to be safe. Her itching was less and less over time till she wasn't itching at all at 6 weeks. That was 8 months ago.

My son and I did neem treatments, but they didn't work for me or my son :( We even did what people in India in the scabies neem treatment study did and that was to use the powdered neem leaves as a paste all over our body for several hrs a day,(extremely messy) we bathed in bathwater with neem oil (have to mix the oil with some liquid soap or oil floats on top of water) and we lotioned with Theraneem lotion daily.

You can get all the neem products on amazon. I love Theraneem lotion, I like the citrusy scent and can't smell the neem in it at all. When I was using it daily it got rid of the athletes foot I keep getting between my toes, neem is a known antifungal .

Location hidden

#21 Feb 10, 2014
katcelata wrote:
<quoted text>
All the drs my family saw were clueless and still believe that perm cream cures scabies for every body, they even blamed us when it didn't work saying we didn't apply it right (I used 10 tubes over 3-4 months and had my husband watch me and help me apply it) and most of them still believe that scabies don't go above the neck but both me and my son had visible burrows on our faces and we had bites all over our scalps and hairline areas too. Even the printed instructions that came with the cream from the pharmacy said "apply from the head down to soles of feet". Apparently the drug manufacturer realizes they go above the neck or they wouldn't have that in the prescribing information. I read that in Australia, in the Aboriginal tribes that live in coastal areas, they do go above the neck so now that strain of scabies has been spread around the world but still drs keep their heads in the sand and refuse to listen to patients or believe us.

My sister used neem oil on all her bites twice a day, then used Theraneem lotion all over body daily and washed daily with Theraneem soap. She wasn't heavily infested like I was though. For scalp, she got powdered neem leaves from the health food store, made a paste and worked it down to her scalp then left on overnight and slept in a shower cap and washed hair in the mornings. She stopped getting bites/burrows after 2 weeks, but continued to do her regimen for 6 weeks to be safe. Her itching was less and less over time till she wasn't itching at all at 6 weeks. That was 8 months ago.

My son and I did neem treatments, but they didn't work for me or my son :( We even did what people in India in the scabies neem treatment study did and that was to use the powdered neem leaves as a paste all over our body for several hrs a day,(extremely messy) we bathed in bathwater with neem oil (have to mix the oil with some liquid soap or oil floats on top of water) and we lotioned with Theraneem lotion daily.

You can get all the neem products on amazon. I love Theraneem lotion, I like the citrusy scent and can't smell the neem in it at all. When I was using it daily it got rid of the athletes foot I keep getting between my toes, neem is a known antifungal .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies are biting my eyes, my hands and legs a... (Jan '12) 2 hr Please Lord help Me 62
Where can I get Benzyl Benzoate for Skin (Oct '09) 4 hr IamPlagueBringer 29
Post Scabies Nodules on male genitals (May '08) 6 hr kurtkadle 65
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 9 hr jesse3 1,514
Do scabies get in your throat? (Nov '10) 16 hr Scabycursed 40
Drilling sensation from scabies (Mar '14) 19 hr Laroc17 3
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) 20 hr Fred 586
More from around the web