Symptoms after SUCCESSFUL treatment -...

Symptoms after SUCCESSFUL treatment - the rashes do continue!

Posted in the Scabies Forum

New England

Dover, NH

#1 Dec 1, 2013
When my husband was diagnosed with scabies, I had already started to develop the rash as well. The whole family treated with permethrin (including my 10 month old son), and continued to "freak out" that we still had scabies, because red bumps continued to surface in the same places as before and new places, for several months. We even spot treated with permethrin, because for a while, we were "SURE" that we still were infested. Here's the thing though - on me and my husband, the permethrin caused its own rash that was stinkingly similar to scabies - in fact you really can't tell the difference. Finally, we gave up. We bought Aveeno moisturizer for eczema, and tried to repair the damage we had done to our skin. Within 2 days of applying moisturizer to my husband, his rashes were nearly gone. We still get red itchy bumps from time to time, sometimes even in clusters......but here is the difference: They go away on their own, or just with some moisturizer over a day or two. My advice is this: Do the two recommended permethrin treatments, 5 days apart, chin down application, and clean the entire house after the first treatment is applied. Wash bed sheets, clothes, vaccum carpets etc. You really only need to do this twice (once immediately following both treatments) THEN....you need to buy a good moisturizer and apply it 1-2 x per day, and give your skin time to heal. The rashes will become fewer and further between, and eventually stop, but it may take several months.
pregnant with scabies

Roswell, GA

#2 Dec 2, 2013
New England wrote:
When my husband was diagnosed with scabies, I had already started to develop the rash as well. The whole family treated with permethrin (including my 10 month old son), and continued to "freak out" that we still had scabies, because red bumps continued to surface in the same places as before and new places, for several months. We even spot treated with permethrin, because for a while, we were "SURE" that we still were infested. Here's the thing though - on me and my husband, the permethrin caused its own rash that was stinkingly similar to scabies - in fact you really can't tell the difference. Finally, we gave up. We bought Aveeno moisturizer for eczema, and tried to repair the damage we had done to our skin. Within 2 days of applying moisturizer to my husband, his rashes were nearly gone. We still get red itchy bumps from time to time, sometimes even in clusters......but here is the difference: They go away on their own, or just with some moisturizer over a day or two. My advice is this: Do the two recommended permethrin treatments, 5 days apart, chin down application, and clean the entire house after the first treatment is applied. Wash bed sheets, clothes, vaccum carpets etc. You really only need to do this twice (once immediately following both treatments) THEN....you need to buy a good moisturizer and apply it 1-2 x per day, and give your skin time to heal. The rashes will become fewer and further between, and eventually stop, but it may take several months.
Thank you for your help. How many times did your family do the permetherin? We have done it 3 times. Ever since the kids rashes went away except for some which look like allergies . Mine are gone. But my mom looks like she has excema now, she overtreated a lot with many things. But we all can sleep at night and rarely itch. Is your familystill itchy? We are just moisturing now with virgin coconut oil which really helps, my dry skin patches disappeared after the oil.
New England

Dover, NH

#3 Dec 6, 2013
Yes, still itchy at times! Red bumps even pop up here and there and then go away. My husband still has a lot of eczema from the permethrin, that stuff is so harsh! Keep moisturizing, and hope you feel better soon :)
New England

Dover, NH

#4 Dec 6, 2013
Oh, sorry, I did the permethrin twice, and then spot treated excessively (which was a bad idea and only made my skin worse). My husband treated 3 times, but probably only should have done twice. The permethrin destroyed his skin, he is still healing. Don't use any more permethrin! As long as you cleaned the house, 3 times is more than enough!
pregnant with scabies

Roswell, GA

#5 Dec 6, 2013
New England wrote:
Oh, sorry, I did the permethrin twice, and then spot treated excessively (which was a bad idea and only made my skin worse). My husband treated 3 times, but probably only should have done twice. The permethrin destroyed his skin, he is still healing. Don't use any more permethrin! As long as you cleaned the house, 3 times is more than enough!
Feels good to hear from somebody cured other than all these posts that scare you. We cleaned the house, I think we are cured. My neice moved in with us for a month because her family wouldn't get treated. She was treated and her mom took her back. Well she got reinfected in about 5 days. So we took her back, did treatment all over again. Now her mom has taken her back again, without doing treatment herself. The deal was she would do treatment but she and her family think they don't have to. Should I report her? I don't know what to do. I'm pregnant and can't keep doing treatment. And they are in denial. My neice is two years old and has done 4 treatments because she keeps gettin reinfected at her moms house. I'm so worried for her yet her mom sees it as no big issue
pregnant with scabies

Roswell, GA

#6 Dec 6, 2013
New England wrote:
Oh, sorry, I did the permethrin twice, and then spot treated excessively (which was a bad idea and only made my skin worse). My husband treated 3 times, but probably only should have done twice. The permethrin destroyed his skin, he is still healing. Don't use any more permethrin! As long as you cleaned the house, 3 times is more than enough!
One more question. Did u do the permetherin neck down, or scalp down? Thank you for your help
Alotofkidzx5

Sheffield, UK

#7 Jan 9, 2014
pregnant with scabies wrote:
<quoted text>
One more question. Did u do the permetherin neck down, or scalp down? Thank you for your help
Adults and children over 2 it is neck down and babies and infants between 2 months and 2 years is scalp down :)
pregnant w scabies

Roswell, GA

#8 Jan 9, 2014
Alotofkidzx5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Adults and children over 2 it is neck down and babies and infants between 2 months and 2 years is scalp down :)
Thanks but I have bumps behind my EARS which is above the neck :( I think some people do get them above there. How do scabies know what age you are
KLTx2

Rock Hill, SC

#9 Jan 9, 2014
My daughter was just diagnosed last night and we did the perm cream today. I used it as well just to be safe. I'm freaking out because she is oly 5 and she wants to scratch constantly. I have washed, dried, and ironed everything I could think of. Do I need to take the toys away too? She's handling it pretty well and only seems to have a few bites so I think we caught it early. Is there any way to bring her relief temporarily? Benadryl only puts her to sleep.
ILS411

Chicago, IL

#10 Feb 14, 2014
Are moisturizers good for post treatment? I thought the little buggers likes moisture?
ILS411

Chicago, IL

#11 Feb 14, 2014
Also, any idea how often to clean sheets and blanket post treatment? I certainly don't want to wash a comforter and sheet set everyday....

Since: Feb 14

London, KY

#12 Feb 14, 2014
New England wrote:
When my husband was diagnosed with scabies, I had already started to develop the rash as well. The whole family treated with permethrin (including my 10 month old son), and continued to "freak out" that we still had scabies, because red bumps continued to surface in the same places as before and new places, for several months. We even spot treated with permethrin, because for a while, we were "SURE" that we still were infested. Here's the thing though - on me and my husband, the permethrin caused its own rash that was stinkingly similar to scabies - in fact you really can't tell the difference. Finally, we gave up. We bought Aveeno moisturizer for eczema, and tried to repair the damage we had done to our skin. Within 2 days of applying moisturizer to my husband, his rashes were nearly gone. We still get red itchy bumps from time to time, sometimes even in clusters......but here is the difference: They go away on their own, or just with some moisturizer over a day or two. My advice is this: Do the two recommended permethrin treatments, 5 days apart, chin down application, and clean the entire house after the first treatment is applied. Wash bed sheets, clothes, vaccum carpets etc. You really only need to do this twice (once immediately following both treatments) THEN....you need to buy a good moisturizer and apply it 1-2 x per day, and give your skin time to heal. The rashes will become fewer and further between, and eventually stop, but it may take several months.
i have an 11 month old, and our experience seems different than most i have read, and not sure if it is just because i know exactly when we were exposed.. the symptoms in our baby, who was only one that had symptoms, were not symptoms that typically would of been linked to a mite, but i know for us, our baby, it was.. we had these 8 months, and really didn't know it.. we treated cause there was exposure, and baby had 2 or 3 bumps..followed directions of dr, cleaned, bumps went away.. thought these mites did too.. 5 months later he has couple red bumps again, so naturally thought reinfected, treated everyone n did a lot of cleaning, and then i started researching, cause it seemed too easy from what i read others been through, but again assumed we just did not have many on our hands.. symptoms our baby had was runny nose constantly, cough a lot, mostly at night, constant ear infection, seemed to always b catching head colds, and every bug or virus that come by, and developed an extreme milk allergy to any dairy.. we were absolutely covered in these! 2 day of actually having off, gave him actual milk, and no reactions whatsoever.. also his eczema turned out to be egg patches, that is why his come and went..

Since: Feb 14

London, KY

#13 Feb 14, 2014
i initially thought all of the above symptoms were because of a milk protein allergy, but turned out all of it was from so many mites, scabies for certain(not from skin scraping, i used olive oil to pull to surface, and took to h. dept, infectious control dr for positive id.. every time we treated everyone in the house, and let those around us know too, including the school, neighbors, etc..

Since: Feb 14

Seattle, WA

#14 Feb 14, 2014
Good advice! It sucks that this condition hangs around so long. It makes it hard to tell when you're cured.

Since: Feb 14

London, KY

#15 Feb 14, 2014
pregnant with scabies wrote:
<quoted text>
One more question. Did u do the permetherin neck down, or scalp down? Thank you for your help
what trimesters have you used permethrin? and how many times? also, it is through a doctors care i assume? not meaning to be nosy, just want you and your baby to be safe... not saying your not, just many people treat outside of what dr prescribes and such, and some may not research it..
Chi

United States

#16 Mar 17, 2014
New England wrote:
When my husband was diagnosed with scabies, I had already started to develop the rash as well. The whole family treated with permethrin (including my 10 month old son), and continued to "freak out" that we still had scabies, because red bumps continued to surface in the same places as before and new places, for several months. We even spot treated with permethrin, because for a while, we were "SURE" that we still were infested. Here's the thing though - on me and my husband, the permethrin caused its own rash that was stinkingly similar to scabies - in fact you really can't tell the difference. Finally, we gave up. We bought Aveeno moisturizer for eczema, and tried to repair the damage we had done to our skin. Within 2 days of applying moisturizer to my husband, his rashes were nearly gone. We still get red itchy bumps from time to time, sometimes even in clusters......but here is the difference: They go away on their own, or just with some moisturizer over a day or two. My advice is this: Do the two recommended permethrin treatments, 5 days apart, chin down application, and clean the entire house after the first treatment is applied. Wash bed sheets, clothes, vaccum carpets etc. You really only need to do this twice (once immediately following both treatments) THEN....you need to buy a good moisturizer and apply it 1-2 x per day, and give your skin time to heal. The rashes will become fewer and further between, and eventually stop, but it may take several months.
Did you have bumps appear on your hands after treatment. I just can't figure out what is active and what is post scabies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why you are not beating the mites..... (Jul '10) 2 hr Rob in Vancouver 50
will sulfur soap get rid of scabies (Jun '10) 5 hr Rob in Vancouver 233
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) 6 hr Rob in Vancouver 590
Resistant Scabies 6 hr Nannygirl 23
Cured finally after 2 years 21 hr Fred 1
How do you treat Scabies on your lips? (Jan '12) 22 hr Bluesky 14
Do scabies get in your throat? (Nov '10) 23 hr Bluesky 47
More from around the web