Scabs due to Scabies
Juan

Nantucket, MA

#1 Jul 12, 2009
I went undiagnosed with scabies for about 10 days, in those 10 days I accumulated about 10 scabs on my genitals. After those 10 days I finally took Perm. The itching on my upper thighs subsided greatly which is awesome. However I am seeing my girlfriend again in about a month and do not want to have scabs all over. They have crusted over and have a hard surface to them. Is there anything I can do to make these scabs go away quicker? Neosporin? Mupirocin? Rubbing Alcohol?
Zelda

Portsmouth, UK

#2 Jul 12, 2009
Don't put alcohol on them, in my experience it worsens any skin complaint by drying it terribly. Be kind to your skin, if you have used perm your skin will be sensitive and sore. E45 cream for eczema is very soothing and extremely gentle. Don't put ointment on too often though because scabs need to dry up. Sounds silly, but try to get the air to it as much as poss, go nude at home, if you can.

Many people here are much more knowledgeable than I am, so hopefully someone else can give you some advice. Congratulations on getting cured, hope I am soon there too.
Juan

Nantucket, MA

#3 Jul 13, 2009
anyone else got suggestions?
Fred

Hollywood, FL

#4 Jul 14, 2009
Juan wrote:
I went undiagnosed with scabies for about 10 days, in those 10 days I accumulated about 10 scabs on my genitals. After those 10 days I finally took Perm. The itching on my upper thighs subsided greatly which is awesome. However I am seeing my girlfriend again in about a month and do not want to have scabs all over. They have crusted over and have a hard surface to them. Is there anything I can do to make these scabs go away quicker? Neosporin? Mupirocin? Rubbing Alcohol?
Hold off on that sex until you know for sure you are finished with scabies. Ask the pharmacist what to put on it. I would do another round of permethrin, just to be safe. Neosporin sounds good to me, just in case there is some bacteria in those scabs.
Peachy

Sacramento, CA

#5 Jul 14, 2009
Did you only treat with Perm once? I would follow with Perm 1 week after the first application, and then do not repeat until at least a month. During this time your skin will be doing some odd things, but it's from the permethrin and the dead mites/feces left behind. Restrain yourself from retreating, as this might only make your skin worse. As far as the old scabs go, I wish I had an answer. I wonder if Mederma (cream for scars) would help. Any ideas???
Not Tired Anymore

Schaumburg, IL

#6 Jul 16, 2009
I am using Aloe Vera gel, vitamin E oil and Maderma. My derm said it will take a long time and said that there really wasn't a Rx that he thought would help. It is so depressing because it is summer and I am so self concious right now because of the marks from this horrid thing that I am uncomfortable in shorts and dresses. Some marks seem to be fading a bit but it is too soon to tell if what I am using is effective. I'll keep you posted
Not Tired Anymore

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Jul 16, 2009
Oh and I still use Aquaphor as a spot treatment to put the moisture back in my skin. My skin is really thrashed from this.
Peachy

Sacramento, CA

#8 Jul 16, 2009
Not Tired Anymore wrote:
I am using Aloe Vera gel, vitamin E oil and Maderma. My derm said it will take a long time and said that there really wasn't a Rx that he thought would help. It is so depressing because it is summer and I am so self concious right now because of the marks from this horrid thing that I am uncomfortable in shorts and dresses. Some marks seem to be fading a bit but it is too soon to tell if what I am using is effective. I'll keep you posted
Do you feel like the Mederma is doing anything? It's expensive (and kind of smells funny) so I haven't used it yet. A lot of my marks have healed, but there is still a dark spot left behind. I wonder if a skin lightening topical would help (like hydroquinone that's used to fade age spots).
Not Tired Anymore

Schaumburg, IL

#9 Jul 19, 2009
Not sure yet regarding the Mederma but I will post updates. I also have some dark spots. My derm gave some skin bleaching cream but I am holding off on using it until I see how well they heal using the Aloe, vitamin E and Mederma. With the bleaching cream you need to avoid exposing the areas to sun after using it and with the spots all over I don't want to walk with an umbrella like Michael Jackson did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies on face and scalp? (Aug '07) 2 hr Rob in Vancouver 1,014
morgellons mite itching crawling (Nov '06) 13 hr Faith 33
Scabies is VERY treatable! My story. (Jul '10) 13 hr Rob in Vancouver 75
Apple Cider Vinegar (Jul '12) 13 hr Jen 44
Mystery mites, atypical scabies, it's real but ... 15 hr Ivernot 5
How do you treat Scabies on your lips? (Jan '12) 16 hr Chrissy 13
Do you get new bumps after post-scabies? (Sep '11) 19 hr Bobbi 306
More from around the web