Diagnosed 30mins ago. CAN I JOIN YOUR...

Diagnosed 30mins ago. CAN I JOIN YOUR CLUB?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#1 Jul 25, 2007
Just got back from the doctors. I HAVE SCABIES. I have just been given Prioderm. Im 100% sure that I caught it when I moved into my new house a month ago. I am going to ask my landlord for a new bed, matress, and bedding and demand that my rent be cheaper for next month as my washing bills are going to be more. Also Im having to take 2 days off work while I am covered head to toe in this prioderm crap which stinks! I feel honoured to be part of such a pissed off and untreatable communinty. Im sure I will be here for months and months. GREAT!
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#2 Jul 25, 2007
Steveo wrote:
Just got back from the doctors. I HAVE SCABIES. I have just been given Prioderm. Im 100% sure that I caught it when I moved into my new house a month ago. I am going to ask my landlord for a new bed, matress, and bedding and demand that my rent be cheaper for next month as my washing bills are going to be more. Also Im having to take 2 days off work while I am covered head to toe in this prioderm crap which stinks! I feel honoured to be part of such a pissed off and untreatable communinty. Im sure I will be here for months and months. GREAT!
Welcome Steveo. What is Prioderm? Is it permethrin?
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#3 Jul 25, 2007
The box says Prioderm Malathion Lotion. Google searches just tell me that its to treat head lice and even the instructions in the box tell me its for the same. I will trust the doctor on this one! What special little surprises have I coming my way then?

Since: Jun 07

Uniontown, PA

#4 Jul 25, 2007
Steveo wrote:
The box says Prioderm Malathion Lotion. Google searches just tell me that its to treat head lice and even the instructions in the box tell me its for the same. I will trust the doctor on this one! What special little surprises have I coming my way then?
Ummm... welcome? I hate to say that this is a club anyone would want to join.

Also, get a new doctor. You need Permethrin and Ivermectin, not a lice treatment.
Mite Killing Machine

Vista, CA

#5 Jul 25, 2007
Malathion and Permethrin 5% are both prescribed in the UK to treat scabies. In the US permethrin 5% and Ivermectin 200 ug/kg bw are first-line treatments.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068817/
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#6 Jul 25, 2007
I don't like sounding ungrateful for peoples advice but I would rather trust my doctors opinion than davastateds opinion. After all my doctor has a 6 year medical degree. And goodness knows what devastated has.... But never the less I apprechiate everyones advice and opinions. I will take the prioderm because everyone I know who has had scabies told me that they took the same stuff and it all cleared up in a matter of 2 weeks.
Sam

United States

#7 Jul 25, 2007
Steveo, welcome to the club. I didn't know they prescribe Malathion in the UK. Good to know, I might put some on my feet.

Since you've only had it a short time, I predict you will be cured in 2 weeks, as your friends were. Strange that you caught it from moving into a new place. According to literature the previous tenants would have had to have just moved out 1-2 days before you moved in, was that the case? But we don't believe the literature anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you have a hard time with it, there is lots of info here about cleaning, etc.
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#8 Jul 26, 2007
Thanks for your comment Sam. Could you possibly give me a link to a 'best way to clean' thread? I can't seem to find one.

Since: Jul 07

United States

#9 Jul 26, 2007
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/scabies/TEC... i am not sam but i thought that maybe i could help. i took all of the people's advice in there and the thread is kinda long but well worth reading.
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#10 Jul 26, 2007
Thankyou very much. Im sitting here at the moment covered from head to toe in this smelly smell stuff really not wanting a re-infestation! I hope this works! Thanks your the help!

Since: Jul 07

United States

#11 Jul 26, 2007
i know what you mean. i have had my permetherin mixed with cold cream on. and from what i have read it is supposed to be on for 24-48 hrs.
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#12 Jul 26, 2007
I didn't really get very clear instructions from my doctor about this stuff. Just that I have to leave it on for 24 hours. I did re-apply it not so long ago. I sure hope this works! I have a new bed, boiled ALL my bedding sheets, wiped my leather computer chair with the same stuff thats on me, hoovered my carpet twice and washed all my clothes on a 60. I dont plan on leaving the house at all today. I hope that is suffeiciant.

Since: Jul 07

United States

#13 Jul 26, 2007
sounds to me like you have done and are doing, is gonna get you cleared up. i have read that the bed, couch, and pillows are what gets everyone re-infested. or that the mites are beginning to adapt, like roaches..uugghh!
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#14 Jul 26, 2007
Can they survive on my desk and keyboard and mouse?
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#15 Jul 26, 2007
Steveo wrote:
Can they survive on my desk and keyboard and mouse?
yes, they can. you can cover your keyboard with plastic, put your mouse in a ziplock bag. you can spray your desk with alcohol or a mixture of bleach and water. or lysol. i use a plastic chair now, and that chair needs to be cleaned and/or sprayed, etc. The question is how long can they survive on such surfaces... I read 96 hours and then they can climb aboard you and reinfest you. I don't think they can live much longer than 96 hours, or maybe they can. I think it depends on what type of mite you have. Human scabies are more fragile than animal scabies.
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#16 Jul 26, 2007
Well I would imagine that I have human scabies. I haven't come into contact with an animal in many months now. So they can just LIVE on my wooden desk? I cleaned my keyboard out today and mouse. I rubbed the same alcohol based lotion on the chair as I am using on myself, the prioderm malathion stuff. That stuff kills em dead apparently. I haven't got long before I wash this stuff off me. Then do it again in a week, keeping to my riggerous cleaning programme. I should be ok soon!!! Still itching like mad though.
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#17 Jul 26, 2007
Steveo wrote:
Well I would imagine that I have human scabies. I haven't come into contact with an animal in many months now. So they can just LIVE on my wooden desk? I cleaned my keyboard out today and mouse. I rubbed the same alcohol based lotion on the chair as I am using on myself, the prioderm malathion stuff. That stuff kills em dead apparently. I haven't got long before I wash this stuff off me. Then do it again in a week, keeping to my riggerous cleaning programme. I should be ok soon!!! Still itching like mad though.
If you don't get rid of them soon, can you move out of that place?
2ScratchOrNot2Sc ratch

Sanford, NC

#18 Jul 26, 2007
Sam wrote:
Steveo, welcome to the club. I didn't know they prescribe Malathion in the UK. Good to know, I might put some on my feet.
Since you've only had it a short time, I predict you will be cured in 2 weeks, as your friends were. Strange that you caught it from moving into a new place. According to literature the previous tenants would have had to have just moved out 1-2 days before you moved in, was that the case? But we don't believe the literature anyway.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you have a hard time with it, there is lots of info here about cleaning, etc.
Yeah, I'd like to know how long it had been since the previous tenants were there. If he says 3 weeks, I may have a relapse. lol

And BTW, if that's how you got it...the landlord did a shitty job of cleaning the carpets.
Sam

Sacramento, CA

#19 Jul 26, 2007
Steveo wrote:
Well I would imagine that I have human scabies. I haven't come into contact with an animal in many months now. So they can just LIVE on my wooden desk? I cleaned my keyboard out today and mouse. I rubbed the same alcohol based lotion on the chair as I am using on myself, the prioderm malathion stuff. That stuff kills em dead apparently. I haven't got long before I wash this stuff off me. Then do it again in a week, keeping to my riggerous cleaning programme. I should be ok soon!!! Still itching like mad though.
Were there pets living in the house before you moved in? Literature says animal scabies lives longer in the environment than regular human scabies. Most of the literature says animal scabies doesn't complete their lifecycle on humans, but some docs and vets disagree with that.
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

#20 Jul 27, 2007
I live in a shared student house. No pets are allowed in here. It was probably a matter of days before I took over the room I am currently in and someone else moved out. I did read somewhere that scabies can live quite a while without a host! Going on marys question, I cant really move out if I don't get rid of them. Not getting rid of them is not an option. I have just moved in here and dispite the scabies I like the house. It took me ages to get a house in this location close to the university. The landlords here don't really clean up after tennets. They allow the previous tennets to clean it and I suppose that they just poke there head into the room and check that it is visably clean. I have had to buy all new bedding and have my sheets and towels and clothes professionally washed so I will be demanding that next months rent be cheaper!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Resistant to albendazole (Mar '16) 16 min kimgoingcrazy 20
10 years and finally cured! (Aug '16) 44 min kimgoingcrazy 16
Bird Mites (Jul '07) 14 hr fairlia 89
Scabies on face and scalp? (Aug '07) 19 hr Ginger Geiger 991
Do you get new bumps after post-scabies? (Sep '11) 20 hr NEBarens69 290
tetmosol soap... (Sep '07) 23 hr AcneSolver 100
How long do EXTERNAL eggs and mites take to die... (Nov '09) Mon Because I hate sc... 101
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Sat clovepowder 4,794
More from around the web