How I got cured of scabies.....
Christine

Dallas, TX

#41 May 14, 2010
Joe, have you tried the neem oil? I know the bleach bath doesn't work, neither does the borax/hydrogen peroxide bath. The A&H spritzer idea is the only thing I've tried that's giving me relief. Pin pricks are few and far between. No more itching either. I'm hoping A&H will cure this bug. Permethrin works IF I put it on every night, but it causes leukemia and seems to be only a temporary 24-hour fix. I suspect that I have bird mites, instead of scabies. I think my doctors are misdiagnosing my situation. No sores of any kind. One bite on my foot when this started. Intense itching, pin pricks, and crawling feeling, which could be symptoms of bird mites, as well as scabies. Either way, symptoms are the same of course, as well as the battle for a cure.
Armed and Fabulous

Ross, CA

#42 May 15, 2010
Christine wrote:
Joe, have you tried the neem oil? I know the bleach bath doesn't work, neither does the borax/hydrogen peroxide bath. The A&H spritzer idea is the only thing I've tried that's giving me relief. Pin pricks are few and far between. No more itching either. I'm hoping A&H will cure this bug. Permethrin works IF I put it on every night, but it causes leukemia and seems to be only a temporary 24-hour fix. I suspect that I have bird mites, instead of scabies. I think my doctors are misdiagnosing my situation. No sores of any kind. One bite on my foot when this started. Intense itching, pin pricks, and crawling feeling, which could be symptoms of bird mites, as well as scabies. Either way, symptoms are the same of course, as well as the battle for a cure.
Hi Christine,
Do you find that your itching and pin pricks are worse in some areas of the house than others, or in your car? The reason that I ask is that I was talking with a holistic doctor recently who said that the coxsackie virus causes a crawling and stinging sensation that a lot of people mistake for scabies. In my case, there were places and items that, when I was near them it was WAY worse, so for me I think it has been mites. But, it is something to consider if you are having a hard time getting a diagnosis and the environment isn't giving clues.
I'm glad that you are having some relief with the A&H. That worked well for me. A little neem oil, tea tree oil, & oil of oregano mixed with mostly jojoba oil is a good thing to have around when your skin gets dry. I've been finding that it works well to put that on, and let it sink in and follor up with some "pomada de azufre" (premixed 10% sulphur cream over the counter from the drugstore).
best of luck!
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#43 May 15, 2010
Christine wrote:
My vet diagnosed my cat with sarcoptic mite. I went back and forth with bird mites or scabies mite. If I use a pocketscope I can see them on my skin. They are so tiny, much smaller than a spec of dirt and mine are black. So, I'm sticking with canine scabies or a very resistant strain of canine scabies. I see nothing else under the scope; no fibers; no demodex mite, which is a cigar shaped mite. I need to invest in one of those scopes which you can attach to your computer, with a little bit more magnification. My mites start moving when I spray essential oils on an active area on my hand.
sjd

United States

#44 May 15, 2010
manuka oil works in a couple days, washing in hot water and spraying everythin with lysol. bagging clothes clean and dirty and i did that with space bags.. and im cured after 7 months of having them
Christine

Dallas, TX

#45 May 20, 2010
Hi Everyone! I'm back. I bought the microfiber sheets. Hopped in bed and pin pricks immediately, but they were only $12 at JCPenney, which is no big deal. I ordered neem oil, neem bar soap, and neem shampoo/conditioner online from Neem King. Supposedly, it kills ALL mites of EVERY kind. Have any of you had success with it? Thank you for all of your responses. So far, the A&H has been the only idea to provide any relief, but I have long hair, which is an arduous task to comb with A&H left in it. Neem products should arrive Monday. I'll go from a dryed out prune to a Valdez oil slick. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sulphur and vasoline will be my last ditch effort, after the neem.
Christine

Dallas, TX

#46 May 20, 2010
Have any of you gotten rid of scabies WITHOUT steam cleaning your carpets? Just curious... All clothes, mattresses, and pillows are bagged, but is steam cleaning also a necessity? Vacuuming this 5-bedroom home every day is killing me, but I'm trying to keep my spirits up. Surely, I'll get rid of these bugs some how.
MikDee

Milford, PA

#47 May 20, 2010
Christine,
Yes, I had the same results with microfiber sheets! I think it keeps more mites trapped on the surface. I just use inexpensive reg. cotton, poly, sheets now.

Head & Shoulders (blue bottle) with selenium 1%, or Selsun blue with 1% selenium, shampoo used as a head, & body wash in the shower both work good for me, especially before bed, as an alternate to A&H in a hot bath. Steam cleaning would work good but, you need as dry a steam as possible, Borax sprinkled in the carpet, & left for a coupla weeks really knocks them down.
or food grade Diatemaceous Earth. I haven't tried neem yet, so I can't comment.
Armed and Fabulous

Ross, CA

#48 May 20, 2010
Christine wrote:
Have any of you gotten rid of scabies WITHOUT steam cleaning your carpets? Just curious... All clothes, mattresses, and pillows are bagged, but is steam cleaning also a necessity? Vacuuming this 5-bedroom home every day is killing me, but I'm trying to keep my spirits up. Surely, I'll get rid of these bugs some how.
For carpets, I got the best results using a regular extraction type carpet cleaner (like a rug doctor). Many people have found that steam cleaning doesn't really help in and of itself..I found that out after having my car detailed several times with the hottest steam imaginable. My small bissell rug cleaner worked just fine and I used a combination of pine-sol, borox, hydrogen peroxide and hot water in it. Once I just used pine-sol and Insect growth regulator (IGR). A day previous to shampooing the rug, I covered the carpet with dry arm and hammer detergent, let it sit for a day, then vacuumed it up. Then I did the rug shampoo. If you have a huge area to cover, you could sprinkle it and rake it (or brush it in with a broom) into the rooms that you use less often first, and get back to shampooing those on a later day. After cleaning my carpet like this, I would just vacuum every few days, and occasionally sprinkle the detergent on the floor leave it a few hours and vacuum it up in the most heavily trafficked areas. There is always some residual detergent left behind, which is good peace of mind on those days where you can just get the most trafficked areas dealt with. Remember to always put a moth ball in your vacuum bag too.
I hope this helps.
Armed and Fabulous

Ross, CA

#49 May 20, 2010
Christine wrote:
Hi Everyone! I'm back. I bought the microfiber sheets. Hopped in bed and pin pricks immediately, but they were only $12 at JCPenney, which is no big deal. I ordered neem oil, neem bar soap, and neem shampoo/conditioner online from Neem King. Supposedly, it kills ALL mites of EVERY kind. Have any of you had success with it? Thank you for all of your responses. So far, the A&H has been the only idea to provide any relief, but I have long hair, which is an arduous task to comb with A&H left in it. Neem products should arrive Monday. I'll go from a dryed out prune to a Valdez oil slick. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sulphur and vasoline will be my last ditch effort, after the neem.
Hi Christine,
First I apologize if this posts a zillion times..I'm having difficulty getting it to post.
That's too bad about the sheets. But you probably can use them after you give them a good wash and dry with arm and hammer powdered detergent, or washing soda. Do you already have your mattress and box spring encased in plastic covers and have you been wiping it down before you change your sheets? That is the main thing to do with the bed. Also, it is good tover your pillows with plastic bags with ends taped together before you put your pillow cases on. You can wipe these down too.
The arm and hammer baths offered the best improvement for me. Before I tried that I did use neem oil mixed with tea tree oil, with jojoba oil as the carrier oil. It did help a lot, but I found it to be more gradual than the arm and hammer. Probably a good combination though.
As for neem shampoos and lotions, many are not strong enough to really have the effect you need..but try it and see. Neem in general doesn't kill the bugs right away, or kill the eggs. But it does confuse the heck out of them and essentially makes them sterile. In the meantime it is very soothing to the skin and has some effect as a repellant. I didn't like the smell, so when I used it I added some rosemary oil to my daytime formula. At night, it is best to go for the stinky original.
I hesitated in getting the sulphur products, thinking that it sounded so complicated, but they do really help a lot and aren't very stinky. I never did the sulphur & vaseline thing, but have used "pomada de azufre" 10% sulphur cream and it is great. You can put it on over your oils or spot treat with it. For my feet I slathered them in a product called sulphur 8 and put clean cotton footies on over that before bed. They can hide out in your feet and that got rid of them there for me. A company called Grisi makes a 10% sulphur bar soap that is great for the shower and for lathering your upper body when taking the arm and hammer baths.
All of these are available in drugstores where there is a special hispanic section, the sulphur 8 is sometimes separate in the special hair care aisle. Otherwise they are available on amazon..it's a bit more expensive there, but they are relatively inexpensive products to begin with.
For shampoo, to start with a selenium sulfide shampoo is best, like selsun blue medicated, or head & shoulders in the blue bottle. Denorex 2 in 1 medicated works well too and isn't as drying.
Christine

Dallas, TX

#50 May 21, 2010
Many thanks to all who responded in an effort to assist me. Have any of actually bee scabies free for a year or more?
Armed and Fabulous

Ross, CA

#51 May 21, 2010
Christine wrote:
Many thanks to all who responded in an effort to assist me. Have any of actually bee scabies free for a year or more?
Hi Christine,
It was around this time of year last year that I got this thing. Mine isn't scabies. I would think that there are many people that have been completely cleared of scabies within a year. Animal mites are a different story, just more to manage and figure out. It took me about 3 months to figure it out and I ended up moving and getting rid of my car once I had made enough progress where I didn't think I was just leaving it for someone else to catch --and when I felt reasonably confident that I wouldn't be taking the problem with me.
That said, I have not been 100% rid of this, I'd say 90% though. I don't clean nearly as much as I had to in the beginning, but I do still wash all clothing after one wearing and keep a moth ball in a bag in my hamper. I still shower with sulphur soap, and take an arm and hammer bath about once every two weeks. I'm not sure that I have entirely rid my cat of the problem, but am going to bring her to the vet derm in 2 weeks. Basically, once it got liveable I was so glad that it was ok for it to be at a certain level, and now that I have more energy I'd like to get rid of it altogether. It will be nice when I don't have to think of this at all!
I think that skf has been completely clear of this for a while and she had bird mites I think. take a look at her skf thread and the arm and hammer thread that she started for her posts.
fgh

Noida, India

#52 Jun 10, 2010
hii..i hav a question..i have been in skin to skin contact with an infectious person
what should i do so not to get attacked from scabies?
plz help me out...
i want to get rid of this tension asap..
MikDee

Milford, PA

#53 Jun 10, 2010
To start,
Wash your once used clothing, & bedding, every day in Borax, & Arm & Hammer washing soda 50/50mix at least 1/2 cup of each, and a little of Lemon Ammonia, hottest water, & hottest dryer using only Bounce dryer sheets Take a hot bath with Arm & Hammer powdered laundry detergent 3/4-1cup, or a total body wash shower with Head & Shoulders blue bottle with selenium, or Sulfur soap, before bed.

I spray my clean bedding lightly with Windex, or Family dollar Windex, they work to knock them down, not all brands work! Then I put on the bedroom fan while I bathe. Windex works pretty good on surfaces where you can use it.
NORMA

Cleveland, OH

#54 Jun 21, 2010
Christine wrote:
Christine, did you get the neem oil, and has it been working for you and your family? please let me know
teacher

Phoenix, AZ

#55 Jun 21, 2010
i am a teacher at a daycare and one of my students was diagnosed with scabies about 3 weeks ago. i been reading online that they can be contagious and not know it for up to 2 weeks so my whole class could have it. now i have another student who has it and passed it to their siblings in other classes. now since its not noticeable for 2 weeks could the whole center have it now? we bleach everything everyday and since i found out i have washed their blankets every single night. is there anything i could do to clean the whole center and get rid of this without kicking out all the kids and still being non toxic?
northernmites

Toronto, Canada

#56 Jun 23, 2010
Hi Everyone: I don't seem to have the welts except for an ocasional bump that's like a big blind pimple? I have the crawly feeling and pin pricky sensation as well. When I took a bath I could see something tiny moving, and when I scraped my inner ear, I saw something moving in the water as well. However I don't have the typical between the finger thing, as I wash my hands constantly.
I can't get the Arm and Hammer powder where I live and heard that the ingredient is Sodium Carbonate that kills them. I looked at Sunlight detegent and it contains this, so I'll give that a shot.
Have sulfur Pomada/soap coming in the mail, but don't know what to spray around the house that doesn't smell toxic?
This surely is the worst thing to ever happen to me, as you all can relate! Direction anyone?
MikDee

Milford, PA

#57 Jun 23, 2010
Windex with ammonia, or Lysol spray, will knock them back. Arrid Extra dry spray deodorant in the yellow can will work as well temporarily, if you can stand the sickenly sweet smell. Windex I've used on my bedding instead of washing it every night, or Arrid, (it works good, but it doesn't have as much staying power). I've also used alcohol, but it didn't last the whole night. There's more I know, but I can't think of anything right now,,, good luck, Mike
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#58 Jun 24, 2010
northernmites wrote:
Hi Everyone: I don't seem to have the welts except for an ocasional bump that's like a big blind pimple? I have the crawly feeling and pin pricky sensation as well. When I took a bath I could see something tiny moving, and when I scraped my inner ear, I saw something moving in the water as well. However I don't have the typical between the finger thing, as I wash my hands constantly.
I can't get the Arm and Hammer powder where I live and heard that the ingredient is Sodium Carbonate that kills them. I looked at Sunlight detegent and it contains this, so I'll give that a shot.
Have sulfur Pomada/soap coming in the mail, but don't know what to spray around the house that doesn't smell toxic?
This surely is the worst thing to ever happen to me, as you all can relate! Direction anyone?
If you have time, read some of the threads on this forum.

Do a search on this forum for:
Ivermectin
Permethrin
Benzyl Benzoate
Cleaning and Laundry
How to treat your car
Environmental Cleaning
Essential Oils
Sulphur
Benzyl Benzoate
Ordering Links
I am Cured thread
Scabies is Highly Contagious Thread
Progresses Scabies Forum
I'm Cured thread
20 mule team borax
Hydrogen Peroxide
Bleach Baths
Lindane
Lyme Sulfur Dip
Nutritional Supplements
Making Your Body unappealing to the mites
Building your immunity
exercise
B Vitamins
Head and Shoulders Shampoo in the blue bottle WITH SELENIUM SULFIDE
fungus and how to treat it
fungal meds
northernmites

Toronto, Canada

#59 Jun 27, 2010
Thanks Mikdee and Joe: I've been scouring this site..tryed the bleach bath, but not much difference today. I'm using windex, which does help, and was thinking of borax in the carpet to kill them. Fact is, I just can't tell exactly what this is? Gave up on my Doc, as he wanted to put me on antidepressants, and said it was in my head. I've been cleaning like crazy and did th perm. which worked on some red patches on my legs, but concerned about it's toxic nature. I think sulphur is next. Can't get Ivermectin here, any suggestions? Also, has anyone had any adverse effects with Iverm?. Doesn't seem to be totally safe drug as far as I can see. I orderd DE, but afraid of inhaling it or getting in the eyes, as I've read you should wear a breathing mask to work with it. I guess Vann swears by it, but I'm not sure I want to put that all over my body?
Could I have something else?
Thanks a million!
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#60 Jun 28, 2010
northernmites wrote:
Thanks Mikdee and Joe: I've been scouring this site..tryed the bleach bath, but not much difference today. I'm using windex, which does help, and was thinking of borax in the carpet to kill them. Fact is, I just can't tell exactly what this is? Gave up on my Doc, as he wanted to put me on antidepressants, and said it was in my head. I've been cleaning like crazy and did th perm. which worked on some red patches on my legs, but concerned about it's toxic nature. I think sulphur is next. Can't get Ivermectin here, any suggestions? Also, has anyone had any adverse effects with Iverm?. Doesn't seem to be totally safe drug as far as I can see. I orderd DE, but afraid of inhaling it or getting in the eyes, as I've read you should wear a breathing mask to work with it. I guess Vann swears by it, but I'm not sure I want to put that all over my body?
Could I have something else?
Thanks a million!
It's too bad you can't get iver in canada. It's pretty safe and works wonders for scabies. Alot of people on this forum have used it and had to be diligent with cleaning and everything, but lots of people on here have been cured with it.
Benzemul is good, too. Eurax is useless. Malathion lotion may work for you. The sulphur may help you. keep reading.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vacuuming the body? 24 min JohnA 1
arm & hammer (Sep '09) 3 hr Hopethishelps 997
News Epidemiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Scabi... 4 hr Adana 1
Long term scabies patients should read this. (s... (Apr '13) 6 hr journey2noScabies 4
After months and months its NOT scabies!!!!! (Jun '09) 14 hr Cook monster 83
not sure whats going on HELP:( 19 hr Susannahe 2
My Scabies story and experience Thu Zeoh 3
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) Jan 17 Mac 1,460
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Jan 15 clovepowder 4,716
More from around the web