my scabies experience
dasher

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 3, 2009
I would just like to share my experience, give a little advice and hope to those suffering from this disease (yes, it's considered a skin disease).
I'm a college student living in Chicago, and around the same time last year my roommate was misdiagnosed with herpes, and was extremely worried. Finally a good doctor told him it was scabies, and by the time he told me that we had to treat ourselves I had it. Not a huge deal, it was in it's early stages and I got rid of it fairly quickly. Our other roommate had not heard of it either and she took it very poorly.
Over the summer I developed the same kind of itching in the leg area and was worried it was scabies again. I asked the girl I was seeing if she was itchy, and she said "sort of" and then when I told her I suspected one of us gave the other scabies, she got extremely upset and left my house. I went to two different doctors who scraped my skin and found nothing, and said I had eczema. I told the girl after that there was nothing wrong then stopped seeing her because the way she treated me when I broke the news was immature and a turnoff.
Time went on and the rashes got worse and worse, as did the itching. It was in all of the classic spots, and eventually spread to my genitals. I went through a lot of emotional distress and for 4-5 months was in anguish over it. I wanted to trust the doctors' diagnosis but I still had no idea what was wrong with me. I also convinced myself I likely had syphilis, because of the single bump that came and went on my penis and the feeling of insanity that one apparently gets from syphilis. I got tested, and that came up as negative too.
Finally I told a doctor to look at the "burrows" on my hands and he agreed that must be what it was. He perscribed the permethrin like I had last time and I treated myself twice, two weeks apart. I also used sulfur soap, washed all clothing and bedding and even used some calcium flakes on furniture to kill the mites. The after-effects of itching was unnerving and made me think that I may have not gotten rid of it. It's been about 3 weeks since my first treatment and everything except my penis has healed, which I have read takes a longer time to heal up.

I find it awful that the American public isn't well-educated about scabies. I didn't learn a thing of it in health class, instead the most vivid STD information I remember was the shocking deformed genital photos. It causes people to react with fear when they hear about it first-hand. Also, if people knew about it there would be less cases, because of early detection and recognition. Apparently it goes in cycles of 7 years where it's rampant in populations, then another 7 where it's not. I suppose it's not extremely odd that I got it twice in a year, then. But the fact that I still haven't traced back who I got it from bothers me. It's had a positive effect however, in that I'm not sleeping around like I used to.
My advice is to stay calm and realize that no you're not a dirty person, and God isn't trying to make your life miserable. You happened to be with the wrong person at the wrong time. Scabies is not the end of life, but instead a temporary and uncomfortable stage some of us must go through. Be responsible and straightforward with everyone you've come in close contact with and things will work themselves out. Good luck!
skf

Glasgow, KY

#2 Nov 3, 2009
dasher wrote:
I would just like to share my experience, give a little advice and hope to those suffering from this disease (yes, it's considered a skin disease).
I'm a college student living in Chicago, and around the same time last year my roommate was misdiagnosed with herpes, and was extremely worried. Finally a good doctor told him it was scabies, and by the time he told me that we had to treat ourselves I had it. Not a huge deal, it was in it's early stages and I got rid of it fairly quickly. Our other roommate had not heard of it either and she took it very poorly.Over the summer I developed the same kind of itching in the leg area and was worried it was scabies again. I asked the girl I was seeing if she was itchy, and she said "sort of" and then when I told her I suspected one of us gave the other scabies, she got extremely upset and left my house. I went to two different doctors who scraped my skin and found nothing, and said I had eczema. I told the girl after that there was nothing wrong then stopped seeing her because the way she treated me when I broke the news was immature and a turnoff.
Time went on and the rashes got worse and worse, as did the itching. It was in all of the classic spots, and eventually spread to my genitals. I went through a lot of emotional distress and for 4-5 months was in anguish over it. I wanted to trust the doctors' diagnosis but I still had no idea what was wrong with me. I also convinced myself I likely had syphilis, because of the single bump that came and went on my penis and the feeling of insanity that one apparently gets from syphilis. I got tested, and that came up as negative too.
Finally I told a doctor to look at the "burrows" on my hands and he agreed that must be what it was. He perscribed the permethrin like I had last time and I treated myself twice, two weeks apart. I also used sulfur soap, washed all clothing and bedding and even used some calcium flakes on furniture to kill the mites. The after-effects of itching was unnerving and made me think that I may have not gotten rid of it. It's been about 3 weeks since my first treatment and everything except my penis has healed, which I have read takes a longer time to heal up.
I find it awful that the American public isn't well-educated about scabies. I didn't learn a thing of it in health class, instead the most vivid STD information I remember was the shocking deformed genital photos. It causes people to react with fear when they hear about it first-hand. Also, if people knew about it there would be less cases, because of early detection and recognition. Apparently it goes in cycles of 7 years where it's rampant in populations, then another 7 where it's not. I suppose it's not extremely odd that I got it twice in a year, then. But the fact that I still haven't traced back who I got it from bothers me. It's had a positive effect however, in that I'm not sleeping around like I used to.
My advice is to stay calm and realize that no you're not a dirty person, and God isn't trying to make your life miserable. You happened to be with the wrong person at the wrong time. Scabies is not the end of life, but instead a temporary and uncomfortable stage some of us must go through. Be responsible and straightforward with everyone you've come in close contact with and things will work themselves out. Good luck!
WOW- you speak your mind, say how you feel . and not afraid to talk about your problems with this. i am the same way. if something is bothering me, i never hold back because the truth is just what it is. did you get rid of theis to? good thing you let the girlfriend go. at least you told her, i bet alot of people dont. good posts!!!
Bryan

AOL

#3 Dec 5, 2009
Hey Dash, do you have an email? If so please let me know. Id like to get in contact with you on this subject. Thanks so much!!
bug sleuth

Madison, WI

#4 Dec 6, 2009
Bryan and Dasher, I am suffering from this as well. Have already figured the classification for this and am trying to put together some links and info in a central location. Please email me and I'll let you know about what I've come up with as fare as this condition.
[email protected]
gpa

United States

#5 Dec 24, 2011
It took me about 5 weeks to find I had scabies it is one of the worst itching I've ever incounterd. It got alot worse after my first treatment its only been two days since then. My genitals look like they have five big bumps on it. It got worse looking after treatment its is this normal?
maymar15

United States

#6 Apr 25, 2012
My boyfriend also got scabies on his genetals i had them and its not caused by anything that has to do with sex well my sister got it stuk it on me and my mom and i stuck it on my boyfriend and he has it on his penus barely today he has one big red bump that he allways want to itch the doctor told me to use "permethrine" and i am going to start using it this weekend when i wash evrything i want to know how to get rid of it on guys does permethrine work on the penuis also? Or noo? Will it cause irritation ?
Dr_Mike

Allston, MA

#7 Jan 17, 2013
: In order to get rid of scabies on the genitals, it is extremely important to follow your doctor’s instructions and take all medication. It can take some time for the rash-like bumps or pustules to clear up, but you can speed healing by using a penis vitamin crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil) containing vitamins such as A and C, which are helpful in healing delicate skin.

Good luck!
deven

United States

#8 Jan 20, 2013
I'm getting over scabies now as well. I treated myself twice just to make sure I got rid of all the bastards. (Week apart) now I'm just waiting for the itching to subside which I've heard can take up to 3 weeks, and for my penis to heal. Where I had gotten bit on the head it turned well scabie and like all things in the process of healing it itches. I will say dont have sex at this stage. Whenever you finish the pain from irritating the sores is ridiculous.
Insane

San Luis Obispo, CA

#9 Mar 4, 2013
My god it's everywhere the mites the scabies it's ruining me I'm so scarred there's mites shitting inside me
nca

South Holland, IL

#10 May 14, 2013
Omg I'm scared too my nephew was diagnosed with this and had slept over using towel,cover etc you guys get the idea Two weeks after he had spent the night he was diagnosed now me and the husband have been noticed itching and red bumps with scabs :( no insurance either omg I better not have it help
help i got it

United States

#11 Jul 31, 2013
Yo I wouldn't wish this on no man this shit really itch. It's so frustrating.
help i got it

United States

#12 Jul 31, 2013
Yo before I go to work every day I wipe it down with witch hazel. And it control the itching at work ..
success

Kurnell, Australia

#13 Aug 5, 2013
I agree i wouldn't wish this on any living thing. Maybe Satan thought scabies was a good idea & that's the real reason he was kicked outa heaven . Did you know the meat we eat are covered in scabies b4 killed. People that work at abotairs get them all the time. 95% of pigs to slaughter suffer this their whole lives. Human & pig scabies are the most similar & can live on either body for months. Yes i was honest with everyone & d efinitely NO SEX. while infection
Phillip

Grosse Pointe, MI

#14 Oct 22, 2013
Help me man this shit is driving me crazy . Someone email me .

[email protected]
Princess

United States

#15 Oct 30, 2013
I work as a ship doctor on a cruise ship. I once treated a little girl with scabies on my ship. The poor girl was just miserable.
pregnant with scabies

Roswell, GA

#16 Oct 30, 2013
Princess wrote:
I work as a ship doctor on a cruise ship. I once treated a little girl with scabies on my ship. The poor girl was just miserable.
Princess
How did you treat her?
Dfm503

Lakewood, WA

#17 Oct 21, 2015
The easiest and most discreet way to treat scabies is by showering with canine flea and tick shampoo, I recommend one with canine flea and tick shampoo, I recommend one with oatmeal, for dogs with sensitive skin, it has permethrins in it and will kill the scabies, burns like a mofo though. I'd recommend letting it sit on your skin a few minutes to kill them, and then using a normal soap to ensure that the dog shampoo doesn't leave residue that could irritate your skin. It's a $10 discreet solution. I did it and haven't had any new bites for over a week. I used it a second time last night just to be sure, and it doesn't burn once the scabies are gone.
Albendazole user

Crofton, MD

#18 Oct 22, 2015
My mites were not STD, I move to a house in the wilderness, but close to livestock ranges, cattle. The house was infested with mice carrying mites. After cleaning the house I contracted scabies, but more than scabies, I call them human mites, but commonly thet are called mange mites in these parts.
As I started self learning about treatment, because my doctor was clueless, I discovered after a year of misery that skin treatments were not curing me. I found all the topicals and they can be researched well on topix scabies, but I will recommend some here:
Southern States permetherin 13% mixed with PBO, these are two different products. Permethern will not work more than a couple times, the skin then resists it. Adding PBO piperonyl butoxide in a 1:3 percentage mix is recommended.
Icthammol 20% drawing salve is used on horses, it is a tar based product, mostly petroleum jelly, contains lanolin. Mites dislike this product, the shale oil has a high sulfur content. I would thinly layer my skin after harsh treatments dried out the skin. It prevents mites from moving, and also is effective as a base layer in mising other treatments as it keeps the skin moist.
Ivermectin, the royals royce of topicals, it is a powerful anti-paracitic that can be skin applied, mixed with grapefruit juice as an oral medicine, is sold as a livestock injectable and oral medication, there is also a topical cattle pour sold as 5ml in alcohol. Expensive stuff, but well worth the expense. I mix it with icthammol as a skin topical.
Benzyl benzoate - I stopped using this, a strong solven that melts plastic like honey. It works to a point, but I have better experience with other topicals.
Benzyl Alcohol - very good in killing mites, they cannot go into statsus (hold breath) with this product, it enters their gills and they cannot resist. Usually dilutes in lotions to 7%, can be straight applied but may irritate sentative users (as most topicals may).
Bleach baths - generally provides relief, reduces activity.
As well as topical treatments, there are several oral medications meant for parsitic worms that also are effective in starving mites to death:
Albendazole is a broad spectrum deworming agent that requires dosage adjustments to elevate blood levels sufficient to kill mites. There are many risks with this medications including liver failure. Side effects are naseau, high blood pressure, pale appearance, hair loss, increased urination. This medication is usually taken for month intervals with recovery breaks inbetween. Fod me I am on my second course, three months on, 3 weeks off, and back on.
Prazinquental is also a broad spectrum deworming agent, used in combination with albendazole, it is in pill form. Side effects are nausea and dizziness.
There are stages of activity with albendazole and prazinquental and it takes a few weeks for the medications to elevate the levels in the blood, and dosing is tricky. Too much albendazole will cause cramping, however, cramping will also occure. I found that drinking water is important to keep cramping under control, and also water helps the medications function. The first effect is mass die off, deep dwelling mites will leave the deep tissues and produce hives on the upper dermis. Dozens, hundreds, depending on the infestation, the hives take a few weeks to cure. At this stage I would take antibiotics as the mite bodies dying caused fever, chills, and a potential for skin infections. Hives start red, then become purplish, and will become painful, in my case I was bedridden for a few days. After the hives heal in a few weeks, egg hatching events were evey few weeks, but individual hives and eggs hatch individually daily.
As a Christian I would not do you service without this advice, find Jesus during this trying time. I have had a lot of idle time during treatments and praying to Jesus has helped me remain sane. John 3:16.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 1 hr Louisa 4,675
Clean clean clean!!! 3 hr John Latham 2
LICE B GONE WORKS!!! My Children are almost TOT... (Feb '08) 17 hr KayBee9 118
will sulfur soap get rid of scabies (Jun '10) 19 hr Connie 206
de 20 hr Brook4 1
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) Sat Green eyes 541
Daily use of garlic repells mites from inside out (Jun '08) Fri Rhonda Lee 32
More from around the web