how do i get rid of scabies once and ...
ItchyOne

Easley, SC

#129 Apr 29, 2008
Dead Mite wrote:
<quoted text>
here are all the ingredients which I easily found online: Sentry Pro Squeeze-On Flea & Tick Control for Dogs
Size: 3 mL
Pack Size: 4-Pack
Active Ingredients:Permethrin (CAS #52645-53-1) 45.0%, Pyriproxyfen (CAS #95737-68-1)(Nylar) 1.9%, Other ingredients 53.1%.*Nylar is a registered trademark of McLaughlin Gormley King Company.
http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/...
these products kill sarcoptic mites:
Frontline spray(fipronil),Revolution, Advocate or Advantage Multi to treat the dog. All of these are very effective against sarcoptic mites.
Poor dog and you won't get rid of the mites until your dog does.
Thanks. I figured it would be effective against the mites but could a person apply this in a diluted form? The 5% stuff doesn't cut it for me. I'm not sure how safe the other chemicals in this stuff are to humans. I'm considering adding this to some basic hand lotion and applying it and leaving it on for a few hours but I want to know more about toxicity and what not.
Dead Mite

United States

#130 Apr 29, 2008
Sentry Pro Squeeze does not treat sarcoptic mites. To cure mange, choose from the topical spot-ons and the Frontline spray I posted above.

I have no knowledge of using Sentry on a human and I would not suggest it. I just know it won't cure mange.
ItchyOne

Easley, SC

#131 Apr 30, 2008
Dead Mite wrote:
Sentry Pro Squeeze does not treat sarcoptic mites. To cure mange, choose from the topical spot-ons and the Frontline spray I posted above.
I have no knowledge of using Sentry on a human and I would not suggest it. I just know it won't cure mange.
Didn't you just say in the post above that it does kill sarcoptic mites? Now I'm confused. For the dog I'm getting Martin's permethrin. It can be diluted and used as a dip. She does get neck drops every few weeks too but since mites, if she does have them, can get into the paws, ears, etc. I am going to dip her and continue with the area sprays. What sucks is that my apartment has wall to wall carpet. This is becoming a nightmare.
ItchyOne

Easley, SC

#132 Apr 30, 2008
Another theory on where these came from.

My apartment complex is next to a large pond and also has a small pond on the property. There are lots of ducks and geese around constantly as well as squirrels and birds. My dog is an indoor pet but when we go for walks or I take her out to poop she's amongst the grasses, trees, and bushes that these ducks, geese, squirrels, etc. roam in. Now I haven't 100% decided that she has mites. She doesn't scratch constantly like she has fleas, her hair is not falling out, and I've inspected her ears and belly and found nothing. The only thing I've seen on her is on the outter sides of her elbows beneath the fur it is flakey like dandruff. She does the occasional scratch on her neck but don't all dogs? I can't be too safe which is why I am going to treat her and continue to spray and launder her bedding and everything else in the place.

She doesn't come into contact with other dogs in the area and I can't imagine I picked them up at the grocery store, post office, or gas station.

As far as me, my blistering in my finger webbing is subsiding and drying up. I've been using Dermisil for the past several days. I still have the itchies but not the "crawls".

For good measure I am going to fog my apartment this weekend. I found a fogger at WalMart that was 12.5% permethrin. Even if it doesn't work 100% it will give me peace of mind to some extent.

Having battled this shit many times in the past I'm willing to do whatever it takes.
ItchyOne

Easley, SC

#133 Apr 30, 2008
I got some permethrin 10% today at the tractor supply. It isn't Martin's or Durvet. It's made by a company called "Gordon's" and is in the same bottle as the Martin's that I've seen online. It was $6 for an 8 ounce bottle. There is a picture below for those interested. Also pictured is the DeFlea spray that I purchased. I am going to dilute the permethrin and dip the dog with it. FYI I saw a mange dip at the tractor supply that was 17% permethrin but I stuck to the perm 10%. Between the dip and the DeFlea spray I'm hoping I can kill any mites that are on her or prevent them from getting on her. My Dermisil treatment seems to be doing ok again today. No real crawls or itches today. Just one or two.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2h86as2.jpg
allcuredbaby

United States

#134 Apr 30, 2008
Lindane. Some more lindane. And oh yea. Wuts that stuff called? LINDANE lotion. Get some. Use it. Turn the heat up to the max on your water heater and wash all of your clothes and sheets. You can use lindane on pets also. Keep it on for 12 hours just like you would on yourself. I had scabies all over my body and lindane did the trick. Its proven to kill mites and their eggs. Id suggest making a spray out of it and using it on/around your bed. Just dont dilute it too much. Its toxic, but thats why it works so well. Hell my dermatologist says lindane has been used on babies with no ill effects. Just follow the directions. If you dont get it prescribed and buy it online, the recommended usage is once a week for however many weeks. Guess thats up to you. Cover your whole body and leave it on for 10-12 hours (while u sleep) then wash it off. The spray is very important. Wuts the point of killing them off on your body if theyre still lingering in your environment. If u can afford it, u can also get away from your environment for a few weeks with some fresh clothes and lindane in tow. Im sure that would help. I found permethrin products to be less than adequate.
ItchyOne

Easley, SC

#135 Apr 30, 2008
allcuredbaby wrote:
Lindane. Some more lindane. And oh yea. Wuts that stuff called? LINDANE lotion. Get some. Use it. Turn the heat up to the max on your water heater and wash all of your clothes and sheets. You can use lindane on pets also. Keep it on for 12 hours just like you would on yourself. I had scabies all over my body and lindane did the trick. Its proven to kill mites and their eggs. Id suggest making a spray out of it and using it on/around your bed. Just dont dilute it too much. Its toxic, but thats why it works so well. Hell my dermatologist says lindane has been used on babies with no ill effects. Just follow the directions. If you dont get it prescribed and buy it online, the recommended usage is once a week for however many weeks. Guess thats up to you. Cover your whole body and leave it on for 10-12 hours (while u sleep) then wash it off. The spray is very important. Wuts the point of killing them off on your body if theyre still lingering in your environment. If u can afford it, u can also get away from your environment for a few weeks with some fresh clothes and lindane in tow. Im sure that would help. I found permethrin products to be less than adequate.
I've used Lindane before. I've battled the things for 17 years off and on. Lindane, Kwell, Permethrin, enzymes, you name it. I've done it all. I'm doing a Dermisil regimen now and it seems to be working. My main concern is my dog and my environment (carpet, chair, bed, etc) so I'm using combinations of sprays and cleaning. I don't want to be known as the scabies person in my building and surely don't want it to pass to the neighbors.
Dead Mite

United States

#136 Apr 30, 2008
ItchyOne wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you just say in the post above that it does kill sarcoptic mites? Now I'm confused. For the dog I'm getting Martin's permethrin. It can be diluted and used as a dip. She does get neck drops every few weeks too but since mites, if she does have them, can get into the paws, ears, etc. I am going to dip her and continue with the area sprays. What sucks is that my apartment has wall to wall carpet. This is becoming a nightmare.
Sorry for confusion. I posted the ingredients to Sentry at the top of post. Then I added the products that will kill sarcoptic mites.
Do you mean neck drops as in a spot-on flea or tick systemic treatment? The spot on has to be Revolution, Advantage Multi or Advocate. The flea and tick products won't kill mites.
I tried Martins(at least 2 bottles), it doesn't have a synergist(PBO) to give it good activity against mites. The stuff made me ill too. Your dog will get sick from it.
Please believe me, I've been through mange and scabies and have had to learn the hard way what works. Please learn from my mistakes. These are safe products: Revolution, Advantage Multi or Advocate applied 2X month will treat sarcoptic mites on your dog. Any of these products can be applied to the feet and ears, just a drop or two into the ears and feet.
allcuredbaby

United States

#137 Apr 30, 2008
Wow.. 17 years? I really couldnt imagine. Have u tried a sauna? Or maybe a trek through the mojave? I read a story about a guy who spent a few weeks in the desert to lose weight. I dunno but im sure your scabies are pretty much immune to anything youve used on them by now. Do you know the exact temperature thats fatal to the mites? Id seriously try a strict sauna regiment. Move to a new house/apartment if u can and try to start anew. New furniture, clothes, etc. And about the pets.. my friends dog had a bad case of mange and the vet gave her a shot, dunno of what, and she hasnt had so much of a flea bite since. Maybe it was this ivermectin i keep reading about? If youre really serious about getting cured once and for all u might wanna get rid of your dog. Theyll just keep jumping from it to you unless youre both treated. Anyway just keep trying. You can be cured.. believe in yourself and work hard at it. You should see a dermatologist of course and explain your situation. Maybe theyll recommend an expert if theyre only interested in acne and botox.
Dead Mite

United States

#138 Apr 30, 2008
ItchyOne wrote:
I got some permethrin 10% today at the tractor supply. It isn't Martin's or Durvet. It's made by a company called "Gordon's" and is in the same bottle as the Martin's that I've seen online. It was $6 for an 8 ounce bottle. There is a picture below for those interested. Also pictured is the DeFlea spray that I purchased. I am going to dilute the permethrin and dip the dog with it. FYI I saw a mange dip at the tractor supply that was 17% permethrin but I stuck to the perm 10%. Between the dip and the DeFlea spray I'm hoping I can kill any mites that are on her or prevent them from getting on her. My Dermisil treatment seems to be doing ok again today. No real crawls or itches today. Just one or two.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2h86as2.jpg
Gordons has petroleum distillates added and these are harmfull to your dog. Please don't use Gordons to dip your dog. If anything just put a little on those crusty areas. If your dog shaking her head or licking her paws?

You won't have to bother with dips if you use the spot-on products that treat mange.

If the mites are coming from outside(this is very possibe) your dog will continue to be exposed when outside going for walks,ect. The spot-ons provide monthly covered to treat and control sarcoptic mites.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

#139 Apr 30, 2008
ItchyOne wrote:
<quoted text>
What works better than the Revolution spot on, is ivermectin injections subqutaneously. This is what the vets do. Revolution is good too, and very easy to use. I learned how to give the injections to my pets. Another poster learned how to give injections, too, and was using doramectin, which is similar to ivermectin. The injections were given once a week, until all mites were gone. This took quite a while, about a year and a half of injections, baths, environmental cleaning and separating the cats and dog away from each other. It's hard, but can be done. If the infestation is bad, environmentally, then only using the Revolution spot on, just may not work.
Dead Mite

United States

#140 Apr 30, 2008
Thanks Itty Bitty. Another reason not to use Permethrin on is? Dogs lick and permethrin should not be injested.

If the mites are outside being dropped by wildlife then the dog should be on a topical systemic spot-on for continual coverage.

Yes, if it's a very bad infestion then injections of Ivermectin would be the plan but ItchyOne says the mange isn't sevear on the dog so probably injections aren't needed.

If it were my dog, I'd treat with one of the spot-on(neck drop) topical monthly treatments forever or until I moved away.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

#141 Apr 30, 2008
Dead Mite wrote:
Thanks Itty Bitty. Another reason not to use Permethrin on is? Dogs lick and permethrin should not be injested.
If the mites are outside being dropped by wildlife then the dog should be on a topical systemic spot-on for continual coverage.
Yes, if it's a very bad infestion then injections of Ivermectin would be the plan but ItchyOne says the mange isn't sevear on the dog so probably injections aren't needed.
If it were my dog, I'd treat with one of the spot-on(neck drop) topical monthly treatments forever or until I moved away.
Some injections may be necessary to remove initial infestation. Then the spot on, biweekly, and then monthly. good enough?
ItchyOne

Easley, SC

#142 Apr 30, 2008
I've lived in this apartment for one year. I've only had the dog for 6 months. I adopted the dog as a puppy and ran it through the vet for shots, de-worming, etc. The dog gets monthly heartworm (interceptor) pills and spot on treatments. The apartment had new carpet and paint when I moved in. Things have been fine until the last few days.

Yes I have had scabies MULTIPLE times in my life. As I've said in other posts I think I am either more susceptible to them or they remain dormant (and I do believe they do).

I have literally had the blisters in the webs of my fingers and thought "OH SHIT, NOT THIS AGAIN", and tried to be extremely cleanly at those times, and within days it disappears. I have no explanation for it.

The bout I am going through now is obviously scabies. The blistering in the webs of my fingers at first, now my mid section, the bottoms of my feet, neck, shoulders, and buttocks..

I know it sounds completely insane but I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I KNOW I'M NOT NUTS. I can only suspect the treatments over the years somehow wear one down and make you even more susceptible. I don't have THE answer, I'm just trying to find a solution to my current problem. Did my dog get mites and give them to me or did I get mites and pass them to my dog. Either way I want to get rid of them.
Dead Mite

United States

#143 Apr 30, 2008
Itty Bitty Critters wrote:
<quoted text>
Some injections may be necessary to remove initial infestation. Then the spot on, biweekly, and then monthly. good enough?
yep, sounds good to me. For most breeds, Ivermectin is OK but a vet should be consulted to make sure the Ivermectin dose to treat scabies is safe for the dog. "White feet, don't treat" is the saying for breeds of dogs that do not tolerate Ivermectin. Collie, Herders, possibly beagels and some others.
Too Long

Oak Harbor, WA

#144 May 1, 2008
Great posts , great info...so appreciated...truly....
Itty Bitty, Dead Mite , Itchy One...good luck...
Should be on the vets and pets thread but ...
thanks.....best to all..good luck .....hang in there...TL
possibly cured of scabies

Antelope, CA

#145 May 1, 2008
lindane is crap. i tried that along with msm lotion, permethrin 5%, and derbac m. from my experience, lvermectin tablets are the most effective way to go about getting rid of this. i buy from MagicPharma.com and their stuff as been working real well for me so far. not cured yet, but the crusting i had on my feet are going away and so are the pimples. i say forget the hassle and take the pill. but what do i know. i've only been dealing with this for over a full year.
Itty Bitty Critters

Deerfield Beach, FL

#146 May 2, 2008
Dead Mite wrote:
<quoted text>
yep, sounds good to me. For most breeds, Ivermectin is OK but a vet should be consulted to make sure the Ivermectin dose to treat scabies is safe for the dog. "White feet, don't treat" is the saying for breeds of dogs that do not tolerate Ivermectin. Collie, Herders, possibly beagels and some others.
I always think about what you say, "White feet, don't treat." It's easy to remember, and you know how I forget things quickly. It's like "trying to teach an old dog, new tricks."
alhatesitchen

Oak Harbor, WA

#147 May 2, 2008
possibly cured of scabies wrote:
lindane is crap. i tried that along with msm lotion, permethrin 5%, and derbac m. from my experience, lvermectin tablets are the most effective way to go about getting rid of this. i buy from MagicPharma.com and their stuff as been working real well for me so far. not cured yet, but the crusting i had on my feet are going away and so are the pimples. i say forget the hassle and take the pill. but what do i know. i've only been dealing with this for over a full year.
Ivermectin is not the cure all. You will see. The longer you use ivermectin the less effective it will be. Just like using any medications using over time scabies will just build a tolerant to it. Most failures are due to re infestations from clothing and or your environment. I know I been there and done it all. With the exception of lindane.
possibly cured of scabies

Antelope, CA

#148 May 2, 2008
alhatesitchen wrote:
<quoted text>Ivermectin is not the cure all. You will see. The longer you use ivermectin the less effective it will be. Just like using any medications using over time scabies will just build a tolerant to it. Most failures are due to re infestations from clothing and or your environment. I know I been there and done it all. With the exception of lindane.
true. i agree that they do of course build tolerance the more it is taken, but it has been working best for me compared to the alternatives. i change sheets and vacuum every two days, along with changing clothes regularly and such. but like i said, compared to everything else this has been working best so far.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Neem works 4 hr NB Girl 2
What relieves mite itching immediately? 8 hr bill 5
Scabies/Eggs lifespan? and a question about pre... (Apr '07) 13 hr itchy poo 543
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 13 hr Itchytoo 1,551
the miracle cure with link (precipitated sulfur) 14 hr whitehairlady 10
Not scabies skin mites (Aug '12) 18 hr Lonely 19
Is anyone else seeing the mites and picking fro... (Nov '10) 21 hr Missyblue 21
More from around the web