how do i get rid of scabies once and ...
RELIEF

Jonesboro, AR

#4314 May 13, 2014
POUR 2 LBS OF SALT IN HOT WATER, IT WILL STOP THE ITCHING! YOU CAN ALSO TRY WITCH HAZEL! RUB WITCH HAZEL ON YOUR BODY WITH FACIAL CLEANSING PADS, YOU WILL SEE LITTLE BLACK DOTS POP UP TO THE TOP OF YOUR SKIN! THAT'S THE MITES DYING AND COMING UP, THEN YOU JUST WIPE THEM OFF! I KNOW IT SOUNDS CREEPY, BUT IT WORKS! GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE THIS HELPS! IF YOU ARE WONDERING WHAT WHICH HAZEL IS, IT KIND OF LOOKS LIKE A RUBBING ALCOHOL BOTTLE. IT WORKS VERY FAST!
umathr

Silver Spring, MD

#4315 May 14, 2014
I had scabies for a long time, and probably still do. To stop itching use sulfur soap, or aloe gel or aloe juice. Use the organic pure form of aloe. Use the sulfur soap and aloe on alternate days. Work the sulfur soap into your skin let dry in place. Remember to work the soap or aloe into the surface of your skin. Not to hard but firm. Before you add more try to clean off the old. Make up a baking soda solution 1tbs to 1 cup of water mix thourghly. Spray this on your bedding as needed. Just enough that drys quickly. Good luck.
Worried Mum

Singapore, Singapore

#4316 May 14, 2014
My poor dog now has another type of parasite that is called 'walking dandruff'! Any helps out there for her. Vet has given her three lots of tablets and a wash for twice a week, plus two weekly drops on her neck. Can't believe it just as we have got rid do the scabies! My daughter is very well now with lots of energy and her beautiful skin is back.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4317 May 14, 2014
Maybe you were bothered by walking dandruff instead of Scabies. Watch out, you might get it again. I actually had walking dandruff once. Those things marched across my head. Call a professional carpet cleaning comp to clean your carpets and car and stay out of the car for 30 days after that. Encase the mattress and boxsprings. Even my sister had it before. I thought it was Scabies at first. They marched across my head, went through my ears to my mouth, horrible! Treat your animal the same time you treat yourself like Scabies.
Set

Warrington, UK

#4318 May 14, 2014
I found that I had scabies after a good few weeks of not knowing what it was. When I realised what it was I went out and bought everything you could imagine to get rid of it .
1: lyclear (didn't work at all)
2: derma lotion (didn't work)
3: sudacream (soothed but didn't get rid
4: tea tree oil (didn't work)
5: dermac-m (made it a lot worse)

After all of this mixed with cleaning / boiling / sterilising everything I was really becoming quite distressed by the state I was in, out of pure desperation I tried bleach baths and the relief was amazing as was the speed I could see it starting to go. I carried on with the bleach batches for 6 days in a row with the bleach being very strong I am not advising this for anyone, clearly it's very bad for your skin but so was having scabies and it didn't help my mental health much either !. I was unable to do any of the things I enjoy etc. the bleach had no effect on my skin other than too get rid of the scabies.

I did see my doctor after I had started the bleach baths, while he didn't agree or disagree with what I was doing he could see it was working. As an extra precaution he gave me some steroid cream.

Like I said I am not saying this is a cure for everyone but I will say it worked for me almost instantly, I had bites all over me including my face, arms, legs, neck and it was unsightly as well as very distressing. I am very very relieved to say its almost gone with no scars left.

I am still having bleach baths, I washed everything, disinfected everything, soft furnishings were steamed, carpets steamed, disinfectant sprays all over everything I could. But at the moment I am very very relieved to say its gone and I can get my life back.

I ran a bath as hot as was possible, put 1/2 a ltr of house hold bleach in the bath. Used a scrubbing brush with neat bleach on to scrub all over my body, included putting my head under the water for as long as I could and scrubbing my head. All I can say is it worked for me :)

Best wishes and good luck to you all, I hope you find what works for you and you get rid of this terrible thing.
Amanda Wealthintaste

Lewisberry, PA

#4319 May 14, 2014
Hi all Ö Now feeling much better a month after this nightmare began, Iím returning to where I desperately sought guidance from othersí experiences during my various phases of freaking out, as I noticed there was a lot of information that, knowing what I now know, might well lead others in the wrong direction.
So, here goes Ö Going to try to keep this brief but complete, please read it all so you donít suffer needlessly.
Step 1 Ė Do you have scabies? If youíre here, thereís a good chance you might. Itís serious enough, and varied enough in how people react to it, that it is BEST PRACTICE to treat any undiagnosed rash or itch as scabies, due to the potential for outbreak.
- Go see a Dermatologist (If you have to wait to see your primary care doctor to get a referral, and/or canít wait for all that, or just DONíT HAVE INSURANCE, go to an Urgi Care clinic or Minute clinic in a pharmacy.) It might be advantageous to consider an Urgi Care or other clinic regardless, as there is a tendency for a lot of primary care doctors to not be familiar with scabies diagnostics, or just decide youíre crazy when you donít accept their recommendations that you take itch medication and spray yourself with Off like mine did.(Not kidding)
- Given you are suffering like you never thought possible and need quick relief, I recommend a clinic, assuming you have done your homework, understand the signs & symptoms of scabies versus the host of other skin conditions that can be confused with it, and need to take quick action.
- Best way, I found, is to call the clinic in advance, confirm that they offer treatment for Scabies, ask if they are busy, and indicate that you want to ensure you donít infect anyone else when you come in. Believe me, they will remember you now and will be far more focused on not getting it than trying to do the disbelief and condescension game.
- You need to immediately stop any close contact planned with anyone until after you get treatment. If you take this too lightly, you might infect someone who might later reinfect you because they took it too lightly too.
- Do NOT tell anyone why you canít see them. I donít care who they are and how much you thought they cared for you, thereís a significant chance they wonít believe you, think you are crazy, or just filthy. Just say you have a serious health condition that you donít want to pass to others and that the Drs are trying to figure it out. If pressed, just say the details arenít pleasant and that you will spare them having to hear them. If they ask later what it was, say they never were really sure, but that its gone now and youíre happy to move on.
Step 2 Ė Getting Treatment
- You MUST treat everyone in your home, however reluctant or stubbornly they insist they donít have it, whether or not they show symptoms. Symptoms can take a long time to show, long after youíve infected many others.
- There is a LOT of misinformation on how to treat and home ďremediesĒ, as well as what you have to do to treat your home. More on this below.
- SIMPLE First Treatment (for typical, standard, non-crusted scabies): Permethrin 5% cream. Do NOT believe anyone that tells you to only apply from the neck down. Do NOT argue with them. Just nod like they are correct in all things, then go and apply it ALL OVER. You can NOT miss any area; however small, including every crevice. If you are in any way a large mammal, BE SURE to ask for a larger prescription because you have more surface area. If they scoff at this concept, be prepared to have some surface area references based on your height & weight handy versus average and scoff a little bit at their not understanding how much humansí surface area can vary based on height & weight (Donít antagonize them or youíll get nowhere). Do NOT apply it right after a shower or bath. Wait until your skin has cooled and dried. Apply at bedtime, then rinse off in the morning 8-14 hours after you applied it.
Amanda Wealthintaste

Lewisberry, PA

#4320 May 14, 2014
- You MUST repeat treatment in EXACTLY 7 days. Donít do it one day or two days because your symptoms get worse, which they will. Donít think everythingís fine in 7 days, then only treat on day 8 or 9. Donít listen to anyone who tells you to treat in 14 days, and donít argue. Just nod politely, then retreat in 7 days anyway. Try to keep the time of day consistent (same bedtime).
- Overtreatment with Permethrin will cause your skin a lot of unnecessary grief, so donít do it. Remember that Permethrin causes some additional itching, and that part of the healing process is working the crap out of your skin, which itches like nothing else, will cause swelling & intense crawling sensations, and will cause new lesions and rashes to form even after you are scabies free.
Step 3 Ė What if it doesnít work & how will I know
- This is a tough one. So, here are the things to keep in mind. First, typically scabies is passed only with prolonged skin to skin contact, but casual contact, even not skin to skin, can also transmit, particularly from someone with crusted scabies (meaning lots of mites, not necessarily someone with crusts, or someone whoís Norwegian, or someone without itching, as is frequently the case with crusted scabies) And even if you contract casually from someone with crusted scabies, you will likely just have standard scabies. So, the risk of being reinfected is pretty low, assuming you treat effectively (all members of your household) and that everyone can and does reach EVERY square inch of their body. If you have household members who canít (or wonít) treat every inch, you may have trouble with an effective topical treatment.
- Prepare yourself for a rough ride, as it will get much worse before it gets better. In my case, my infestation was extremely severe, probably of the borderline crusted variety, and swelling, itching, skin crawling & pin prick pains were severe, and would crescendo in the afternoon and evening into the night. After my first permethrin treatment, the relief was immediate; however, a single retreatment was insufficient, likely due to reinfection (because of a household memberís inability to reach a small patch of their center back)
- Plan to revisit your Urgi Care or Clinic again two weeks from the original date of treatment and, if your symptoms are still severe and, most notably, you are still seeing NEW LESIONS (not just still itching), you should request a prescription for oral Ivermectin. This is prescribed at a dosage of .2MGs per Kilo of body weight. Please do yourself a favor, weigh yourself and any household members before you go, and go together to the clinic. You can probably get away with a single fee visit if you ask nicely. Do the math before hand. Know how much you weigh in Kilos, know how many MGs that will translate to at .2MGs (200 Micrograms) and double check the Drís dosage on the Rx BEFORE you leave their office. Drs HATE to be wrong, but if you have the math right there, youíre more likely to get it corrected on the spot, before your treatment is needlessly delayed. In the event you are between Kilograms, ask for the Dr to round UP, not down.
- Be SURE you get a refill available in the next few days, as the doctor will likely tell you to take the refill in TWO weeks (this is WRONG). Say you are traveling or something and that you have to get it filled now, then take it EXACTLY one week later.
Avoiding seizure: Do NOT skip past the Permethrin treatment and skip to the Ivermectin. Ivermectin is fine for most everyone, but there are some interactions possible and a very real risk of seizure. Talk to your Dr about what else you take and any history you have of seizure. There are some cases, like for immobilized patients, where a Dr may go directly to Ivermectin.
Amanda Wealthintaste

Lewisberry, PA

#4321 May 14, 2014
(1 of 3)
Hi all Ö Now feeling much better a month after this nightmare began, Iím returning to where I desperately sought guidance from othersí experiences during my various phases of freaking out, as I noticed there was a lot of information that, knowing what I now know, might well lead others in the wrong direction.

So, here goes Ö Going to try to keep this brief but complete, please read it all so you donít suffer needlessly.

Step 1 Ė Do you have scabies? If youíre here, thereís a good chance you might. Itís serious enough, and varied enough in how people react to it, that it is BEST PRACTICE to treat any undiagnosed rash or itch as scabies, due to the potential for outbreak.
- Go see a Dermatologist (If you have to wait to see your primary care doctor to get a referral, and/or canít wait for all that, or just DONíT HAVE INSURANCE, go to an Urgi Care clinic or Minute clinic in a pharmacy.) It might be advantageous to consider an Urgi Care or other clinic regardless, as there is a tendency for a lot of primary care doctors to not be familiar with scabies diagnostics, or just decide youíre crazy when you donít accept their recommendations that you take itch medication and spray yourself with Off like mine did.(Not kidding)
- Given you are suffering like you never thought possible and need quick relief, I recommend a clinic, assuming you have done your homework, understand the signs & symptoms of scabies versus the host of other skin conditions that can be confused with it, and need to take quick action.
- Best way, I found, is to call the clinic in advance, confirm that they offer treatment for Scabies, ask if they are busy, and indicate that you want to ensure you donít infect anyone else when you come in. Believe me, they will remember you now and will be far more focused on not getting it than trying to do the disbelief and condescension game.
- You need to immediately stop any close contact planned with anyone until after you get treatment. If you take this too lightly, you might infect someone who might later reinfect you because they took it too lightly too.
- Do NOT tell anyone why you canít see them. I donít care who they are and how much you thought they cared for you, thereís a significant chance they wonít believe you, think you are crazy, or just filthy. Just say you have a serious health condition that you donít want to pass to others and that the Drs are trying to figure it out. If pressed, just say the details arenít pleasant and that you will spare them having to hear them. If they ask later what it was, say they never were really sure, but that its gone now and youíre happy to move on.
Step 2 Ė Getting Treatment
- You MUST treat everyone in your home, however reluctant or stubbornly they insist they donít have it, whether or not they show symptoms. Symptoms can take a long time to show, long after youíve infected many others.
- There is a LOT of misinformation on how to treat and home ďremediesĒ, as well as what you have to do to treat your home. More on this below.
- SIMPLE First Treatment (for typical, standard, non-crusted scabies): Permethrin 5% cream. Do NOT believe anyone that tells you to only apply from the neck down. Do NOT argue with them. Just nod like they are correct in all things, then go and apply it ALL OVER. You can NOT miss any area; however small, including every crevice. If you are in any way a large mammal, BE SURE to ask for a larger prescription because you have more surface area. If they scoff at this concept, be prepared to have some surface area references based on your height & weight handy versus average and scoff a little bit at their not understanding how much humansí surface area can vary based on height & weight (Donít antagonize them or youíll get nowhere). Do NOT apply it right after a shower or bath. Wait until your skin has cooled and dried. Apply at bedtime, then rinse off in the morning 8-14 hours after you applied it.
Amanda Wealthintaste

Lewisberry, PA

#4322 May 14, 2014
(3 of 4 ... sorry for the duplicates; think they are finally showing up now)

Avoiding unnecessary treatments: Unless you have severe crusted scabies (very rare, and Iím speaking now of the actual skin crusted variety, not just the elevated mite counts), you do NOT need to take some of the steps described to melt your skin off with acid, or using some other painful process like deliberately irritating your skin, hot baths, etc. You also do not, likely, need to take some of the extreme measures for house and vehicle treatment Iíve seen here and elsewhere. Itís actually pretty simple: these bugs like you and hate to leave, unless theyíre going directly to someone else. AFTER you have done your Permethrin treatment, take some Benadryl and go to bed, you need the rest. When you wake, BEFORE you wash, take all your bedding and wash it. If you have any doubt, wash the pillows too, or you can bag them for 3 days (NOTE: 3 days, not a week, not 2 weeks, not a year. Unless you have severe crusted scabies, the only way a mite came off you is by accident, and only a live adult mite, not an egg, which can only be laid under the skin. So, unless you have crusts so severe they are falling off, the eggs havenít left and were killed when you treated. If you have crusted skin falling off, you will need to be more careful and vacuum and sanitize more thoroughly than you would typically). After you throw your washed bedding in the drier, undress and throw your clothes directly into the wash, start it, and go wash off the treatment. Have some disposable gloves around and, after you exit the shower, use them for moving laundry subsequently (start with clean dry clothes, then move clean wet clothes, then add you towel and any other pillow or mattress covers, blankets, etc, that didnít already get washed). Repeat this process daily for your bedding for several weeks, not so much to prevent reinfection, but for the peace of mind it will bring, and the reduced allergies from washing off the allergens from the bugs.

Living with the aftermath: When I got infected, my crotch and armpits had to be iced, the swelling was so severe, it was nearly impossible to sleep, though that improved once I started to take pretty strong doses of Benadryl at night. After my first Permethrin treatment, I felt nearly completely better the next day, but got worse as the day went on, and completely miserable by the end of the night. This got better the first few days, then got worse. After the second treatment, it was much the same. After the first Ivermectin treatment, it was also much the same Ö and also the second dose of Ivermectin. At the 7th day anniversary of my infection, my symptoms would peak, even after my second Ivermectin dose. In fact, I was right back in the Drs office a week after my second Ivermectin dose, as my symptoms the previous several days were as bad as they were to begin with. This is just part of the rollercoaster ride of this horrible affliction. The hatchings happen and the debris, alive or dead, has to work itself out of your skin, forming new lesions and creating new symptoms, even after you are completely treated. Recommend taking showers twice daily, no more or less, as this will wash the stuff that is making you itch off your body frequently, but not so frequently as to cause other issues. Use Dial Anti-Bacterial Soap (Gold) to further minimize these other issues.

Amanda Wealthintaste

Lewisberry, PA

#4323 May 14, 2014
(4 of 4 )

Treating your surroundings: Keep in mind the life cycle of these pests: The live mites can only live off of you for 2-3 days, so for things you canít wash, you need to try to limit your encounters with them to greater than 2-3 days if possible, or use rubbing alcohol to wipe them down (be careful not to get too much on your skin while treating; another great time to use the disposable gloves). Use rubbing alcohol for cell phones & cases, glasses, computers, steering wheels and armrests of cars. Use washable blankets or sheets for furniture you sit in daily so it may be washed daily. Get some Hot Shot Bedbug & Flea spray (contains Permethrin) to spray your furniture or car as well.

***NOT Killing your pets: Permethrin is deadly poisonous to cats. Do not touch your pets or their food when you have Permethrin on you and do not let them into areas youíve sprayed with Permethrin until you have washed them. You might be better off boarding your pets or building them an outdoor shelter until this storm has passed, rather than lose them to poisoning.

Conclusion: Itís been about a month since this horror began. I still have lesions, though they are healing, still have some itching, but have improved greatly over the last few days and it is nearly gone. Keep in mind, only a few days ago I was begging my doctor for another Ivermectin dose, as my 28 day anniversary was as bad as day one. I barely needed any Benadryl last night and have not yet taken any this evening; unthinkable just a few days ago. This condition will make you suffer like you did not think possible, but it can get better VERY quickly after the final effective treatment, and does not require the extreme measures Iíve seen widely employed. Keep this condition close to you, as most if not all will not understand or support you; however much you thought or they may actually care for you. Itís just too difficult for most whoíve never experienced it at itís worst to grasp.Ö. And Pray. Pray a lot.

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.
GrandmaToTwins

Tampa, FL

#4324 May 14, 2014
I had to come back in after 2 months of coming here and hoping to find the 'miracle cure'...we have FINALLY rid ourselves of scabies. What started out as a small rash on my adult daughter, grew into a full body red war zone...then quickly spread to her toddler twins, then me. She went to her doctor, who sent her to a dermatologist, who RX'd $140 cream for 'pregnancy related rash'(she's pregnant). It was infuriating to sit and deal with this, after much searching online I came to the only conclusion left- that it was scabies. I read all the suggestions, tea tree oil really helps but they come back, we bathed in cider vinegar, spent tons on special creams and then more creams. 3 rounds of permethrin for everyone. 3 loads of laundry a day, we removed and bagged all sofa cushions, pillows etc from the home. I just couldn't deal any more. My last options were ivermectin (for horses since DR's wouldn't give us an RX for that) and sulfur soap and Nu-Stock horse stuff (for mange etc). I went with the soap and Nu-Stock first, worried about giving anything orally to the little ones and my pregnant daughter. Within 24 hours, the redness and bumps were gone. We could see my grand daughters face CLEAR as day...and we were so worried about scarring! Her little hands were crusted after rubbing them from itching so much! I did the lotion mix first (there's a tutorial on how to mix it on youtube...do NOT use it straight from the tube, it's way too strong for humans that way.)(I read where people complained about the smell of if but to us it just smelled like we were in a leather factory) The soap (I had to order AZUFRE brand online since I couldn't find it locally) arrived the day after and after using it, you can feel the essential oils your body produces are stripped away but YOUR SKIN IS CLEAR!!!! no itching, no redness, no bumps....seriously. We just continued with the soap and have been clear ever since. The paranoia continues so we vacuum constantly and launder frequently but after weeks of sulfer......nothing at all. Whoever put it out there...THANK YOU...it worked for us!
sam

Galveston, TX

#4325 May 15, 2014
how much permethrin u mix of the 10% to make a lotion or liquid to put on your whole body I will buy the dog form 10% permethrin. thank u
Set

Warrington, UK

#4326 May 20, 2014
Final follow up ......

I began with scabies probably between 6 & 8 weeks ago and very quickly became covered in that terrible rash. As you will see from previous posts I tried all the standard treatments and none worked in-fact some made it worse. Out of pure desperation I tried bleach baths and the relief and recovery rate was amazing. Less than a week after starting I could start getting back to my normal life.

I used 1/2 a ltr of bleach in a hot bath, scrubbed bad areas with more neat bleach. Cleaned the house like you wouldn't believe, washed and washed everything again and again. Disinfected my car etc etc.

I was lucky that no one else in the house caught it and it's and the rash is now gone.

Bleach bath daily 1/2ltr of house hold bleach for a week, scrub bad areas with more bleach. The relief that it's gone and hasn't come back is amazing.
Baltimore Chippy

Marcus Hook, PA

#4327 Jun 1, 2014
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, your really wierd!!
He's not weird. He's stupid.
up-set

Prineville, OR

#4328 Jun 12, 2014
I am liking the, "bath treatment, with bleach.." I think I have this awful plague... We just put our brother-in-law in an assisted care physicality, and they had the Scabies, and never told any one.. Now we are trying to treat him.. And it looks like I have it too.. I am just a little more than upset..
FRED

Denver, CO

#4329 Jun 12, 2014
You should report the facility to the health department.

Scabies also carry other bacterial infections like Lyme disease.
Cody M

Dallas, TX

#4330 Jun 12, 2014
I was able to get rid of scabies using the following natural method:

Soak in a tub (completely covered to neckline) with hot water and Sea Salt. I used about (1) pound of Sea Salt in each bath. I also used Epsom and Dead Sea Salts which I bought at Walmart. Stay in the bath with your body submerged (minus your head, of course) for at least (1) hour. Repeat this at least 5 days, longer if you have a severe case.

It is critical that you do not stop this treatment early. You need to kill the Scabies at different levels of development and even then you will need to continue the salt baths because the eggs will hatch and the process could start all over again.

Furthermore, you have to be diligent in cleaning your clothes and bed linens or else you will be reinfected. Salt baths work, but you have to work too!

Best of luck to you.
pat

Tampa, FL

#4331 Jun 14, 2014
I read a lot about using borax, can someone please tell me what kind of borax.
scabiefree

Plant City, FL

#4332 Jun 15, 2014
pat wrote:
I read a lot about using borax, can someone please tell me what kind of borax.
20 mules borax! But if you buy a steamer and steam all your clothe before you wear them! Steam your bed and pillow before you sleep uou dont need borax! Then I bought100% neem oil and the theraneem lotion with neem shampoo and neem soap! I washed with the soap and shampoo! Got out of the shower and dried off! Applied neem lotion all over my body! Before bed I used the neem oil on the rashes directly! When I woke up I washed the neem oil off and applied the lotion aftef I dried and repeated everyday for a month! Its been 5 months since I had them and I feel great!
scabiefree

Plant City, FL

#4333 Jun 15, 2014
if you buy a steamer and steam all your clothe before you wear them! Steam your bed and pillow before you sleep you dont need borax! Then I bought100% neem oil and the theraneem lotion with neem shampoo and neem soap! I washed with the soap and shampoo! Got out of the shower and dried off! Applied neem lotion all over my body! Before bed I used the neem oil on the rashes directly! When I woke up I washed the neem oil off and applied the lotion aftef I dried and repeated everyday for a month! Its been 5 months since I had them and I feel great!
up-set wrote:
I am liking the, "bath treatment, with bleach.." I think I have this awful plague... We just put our brother-in-law in an assisted care physicality, and they had the Scabies, and never told any one.. Now we are trying to treat him.. And it looks like I have it too.. I am just a little more than upset..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ivermectin doesnt work dont waste your time or ... 53 min readytojump 5
How long does Ivermectin take to work? (Mar '10) 1 hr readytojump 191
Ivermection scabbies 1 hr magpie 13
Lice shampoo for Scabies?? (Mar '10) 3 hr worried sick 32
Cheap do it yourself kit for scabies. 3 hr wannaemgone2 20
Norwegian crusted scabies 4 hr wannaemgone2 19
Psorinum........homeopathic cure for Scabies? (Sep '11) 9 hr Sofia 118
More from around the web