how do i get rid of scabies once and ...
Mite Killer

United States

#331 Oct 24, 2008
britney wrote:
hello ive just been informed that i got scabies and my ENTIRE family does too..
i think i caught it from my roommate and her boyfriend thought he had fleas but they turned out to be scabies..
how long will this go on for?!
don't think about how long...just start treatment, like yesterday! everyone including any pets.
hey

Bluefield, WV

#332 Oct 31, 2008
Hey, I just read all 17 pages of this thread. It's one of the very few resources on the internet where you can find "real" info on this crap. Though, there is an incredible amount of misinformation on here (and everywhere) as well.

I've went through 4-5 tubes of permithian cream, almost ridding myself of this crap several times, but it keeps comming back. You gotta really clean your enviroment folks. My doctor is an arrogant know-it-all. He doesn't believe I have scabies, and won't prescribe my anything. I'm sure he thinks I have some sort of Staph, but I don't. I was able to find one of those, white "track marks" once, and I lightly ran a needle through it and lifted one of those itty-bitty little bastards up from the very end of the track. Case confirmed.

It really seems as though the scabies have a "sixth-sense" if you will, that allows them to detect the histamines that were reacting to there presence, or possibly somthing of their own remains. Of course, I don't know for certain but it does seem like after you get scabies, you have an affinity for picking it up from your enviroment. I've had family members (more than 6 weeks ago mind you) sleep in my bed and not catch it, but if I were to handle a known contaminated object, I'd get fresh spots in a few hours. I understand how the histamine response works in exposed vs unexposed people, I genuinely believe they can somehow "smell" their previous activity. I know that if you get a expecially big sore (like one you picked at alot for example),later, that exact particular site will be a favorite for them to reinfect.

Now, is there anything else I can use? I don't believe in tea tree oil or any of that sort of crap. I need something I can use. And buying off the internet isn't really an option for me. What are some comercially available sulfur containing products I can buy? I read Selsen Blue contains 1% selenium sulfite, thats a start, but I bet it won't be enough. I have heard rumors that enzyme cleaners can do the job. Have any of you had any sucess with this route? I have tried Oxi-Clean, and it helps, but not greatly. Yesterday, I had an idea though, I believe those "patented blue crystals" in Oxi-Clean are enzymes. I dissolved the Oxi-Clean in hot water, and let it recrystalize overnight. All the blue crystalswill rise to the top. You can scrape them off and work them into a paste. I didn't have enough Oxi left to use this method to do my whole body, but where I did apply it,(left it on for roughly 5 min. before showering it off) it seemed to help greatly.

I hope I can get some feedback, were all in this together.
Mite Killer

United States

#333 Nov 1, 2008
hey wrote:
Hey, I just read all 17 pages of this thread. It's one of the very few resources on the internet where you can find "real" info on this crap. Though, there is an incredible amount of misinformation on here (and everywhere) as well.
I've went through 4-5 tubes of permithian cream, almost ridding myself of this crap several times, but it keeps comming back. You gotta really clean your enviroment folks. My doctor is an arrogant know-it-all. He doesn't believe I have scabies, and won't prescribe my anything. I'm sure he thinks I have some sort of Staph, but I don't. I was able to find one of those, white "track marks" once, and I lightly ran a needle through it and lifted one of those itty-bitty little bastards up from the very end of the track. Case confirmed.
It really seems as though the scabies have a "sixth-sense" if you will, that allows them to detect the histamines that were reacting to there presence, or possibly somthing of their own remains. Of course, I don't know for certain but it does seem like after you get scabies, you have an affinity for picking it up from your enviroment. I've had family members (more than 6 weeks ago mind you) sleep in my bed and not catch it, but if I were to handle a known contaminated object, I'd get fresh spots in a few hours. I understand how the histamine response works in exposed vs unexposed people, I genuinely believe they can somehow "smell" their previous activity. I know that if you get a expecially big sore (like one you picked at alot for example),later, that exact particular site will be a favorite for them to reinfect.
Now, is there anything else I can use? I don't believe in tea tree oil or any of that sort of crap. I need something I can use. And buying off the internet isn't really an option for me. What are some comercially available sulfur containing products I can buy? I read Selsen Blue contains 1% selenium sulfite, thats a start, but I bet it won't be enough. I have heard rumors that enzyme cleaners can do the job. Have any of you had any sucess with this route? I have tried Oxi-Clean, and it helps, but not greatly. Yesterday, I had an idea though, I believe those "patented blue crystals" in Oxi-Clean are enzymes. I dissolved the Oxi-Clean in hot water, and let it recrystalize overnight. All the blue crystalswill rise to the top. You can scrape them off and work them into a paste. I didn't have enough Oxi left to use this method to do my whole body, but where I did apply it,(left it on for roughly 5 min. before showering it off) it seemed to help greatly.
I hope I can get some feedback, were all in this together.
There is a great deal of incorrect info going around about sarcoptic mites but if you spend enough time doing research you'll be ok.
OTC Humco sulfur powder from a compounding pharmacy. call around.
as for scabies having a favorite spot they come back to: I think they do. The little demon's eggs will hatch out every plus/minus 5 days so you may be seeing activity in the same area caused from the daily hatching and moulting.
Good luck!
Itty Bitty Critters

Deerfield Beach, FL

#334 Nov 1, 2008
hey wrote:
Hey, I just read all 17 pages of this thread. It's one of the very few resources on the internet where you can find "real" info on this crap. Though, there is an incredible amount of misinformation on here (and everywhere) as well.
I've went through 4-5 tubes of permithian cream, almost ridding myself of this crap several times, but it keeps comming back. You gotta really clean your enviroment folks. My doctor is an arrogant know-it-all. He doesn't believe I have scabies, and won't prescribe my anything. I'm sure he thinks I have some sort of Staph, but I don't. I was able to find one of those, white "track marks" once, and I lightly ran a needle through it and lifted one of those itty-bitty little bastards up from the very end of the track. Case confirmed.
It really seems as though the scabies have a "sixth-sense" if you will, that allows them to detect the histamines that were reacting to there presence, or possibly somthing of their own remains. Of course, I don't know for certain but it does seem like after you get scabies, you have an affinity for picking it up from your enviroment. I've had family members (more than 6 weeks ago mind you) sleep in my bed and not catch it, but if I were to handle a known contaminated object, I'd get fresh spots in a few hours. I understand how the histamine response works in exposed vs unexposed people, I genuinely believe they can somehow "smell" their previous activity. I know that if you get a expecially big sore (like one you picked at alot for example),later, that exact particular site will be a favorite for them to reinfect.
Now, is there anything else I can use? I don't believe in tea tree oil or any of that sort of crap. I need something I can use. And buying off the internet isn't really an option for me. What are some comercially available sulfur containing products I can buy? I read Selsen Blue contains 1% selenium sulfite, thats a start, but I bet it won't be enough. I have heard rumors that enzyme cleaners can do the job. Have any of you had any sucess with this route? I have tried Oxi-Clean, and it helps, but not greatly. Yesterday, I had an idea though, I believe those "patented blue crystals" in Oxi-Clean are enzymes. I dissolved the Oxi-Clean in hot water, and let it recrystalize overnight. All the blue crystalswill rise to the top. You can scrape them off and work them into a paste. I didn't have enough Oxi left to use this method to do my whole body, but where I did apply it,(left it on for roughly 5 min. before showering it off) it seemed to help greatly.
I hope I can get some feedback, were all in this together.
And why is it that you cannot buy something like sulfur from americarx.com an option for you? Get a relative to order it for you.
KayCee

Kansas City, MO

#335 Nov 3, 2008
Hi All!
It's been a while since I last posted. I am much improved from where I begin although, regretfully I am not fully cured. My body is doing good. I continue to have scalp issues however. I did have S. Scabei mites in the hair, along with fungus gnats, along with fungus, along with bacterial infection. What a nightmare. The Nizoral was a little helpful but not much. I had to use a systemic fungicide Griseofulvin for the fungus. I also took Septra/Bactrim for the bacterial infection. When I washed my hair I discovered the benefits of using Boraxo hand soap to lift some of the critters from my hair. It was also beneficial to leave it in the hair for a while, preferably overnight to help eliminate and kill some of the hatched vermin. Boric Acid is an insect killer through dessicantation (drying out). Borax kills even the moulting mites. Borax also works better when dry rather than wet as it dehydrates the mites or any insect that ingest it along with destroying its exoskeleton.
Moisture on the scalp allows the parasites to thrive and reproduce. It is a bad idea as opposite what was previously thought to put plastic on the head as the head will prespire creating moisture and allow the parasites to reproduce. Dry scalp seems to be key.
Derms had told me that I had a fungus only while in reality I had both parasites, mites, and a fungus. I previously had scabies and treated only from the neck down per doctors instructions. This was a big mistake. I actually saw the flying gnats and collected several dead ones while treating in recent weeks. I intend to take these to an exterminator to have a positive ID on them. These along with small white specks have come from out of my scalp or hair. Please don't give 100% credibility to Derms who diagnose fungal infection. I may not have the problems that I have had if not for the misdiagnosis.
KayCee

Kansas City, MO

#336 Nov 3, 2008
The scalp will experience extreme activity from the writhing of the dying parasite from the boric acid in the borax. The feeling is unpleasant but you have to bear it out as the parasite eliminates itself from the skin. Also, it is important to take a Q-tip and swap the inside of the ear and the ridges of the ear to extricate those parasites that have burrowed in the ear areas. Additionally, for parasites that stream onto the face, I have found that using any Acne vanishing cream containing 10% benzol peroxide will keep them off of the face especially while trying to sleep at night. You will also attain a softer and cleaner face as a bonus. Cold cream contains boric acid but I don't think that it is strong enough by itself to dry out the mites. A mix of additional boric acid into the cold cream makes it an ideal topical moisturizer that dries soft and smoothly. I had some topical boric acid that I mixed with cold cream for this purpose and it is also a good spot treatment. I continue to use sulphur, iver, perm, benzl benzoate, when necessary. However, I have mainly used sulphur and iver lately.
KayCee

Kansas City, MO

#337 Nov 3, 2008
The extent of my scalp problem was so severe that my scalp had several bald patches. Since using the topical boric acid treatment which is a natural fungicide and bacteriostatic, along with the Griseofulvin and Septra/Bactrim, my hair has now grown back in. I just wanted to mention that!
Good luck to all. And thanks to all of the wonderful posters who provide so much assistance like IBC, Welty, Sam, Mr. Al, Mite Killer, and others. You are doing a tremendous service.
Betty

Colorado Springs, CO

#338 Nov 12, 2008
I'm new on this site. This summer,I was driving with a suspended license and didn't know I was, anyway, I was arrested for the first time ever. They made me take off my sandals and put me in a cold jail cell and offered me a blanket. I was out of there in about two hours. About a month later, I had these weird bumps that turned to sores on my wrists and my ankles. They burned like fire when I picked at them and they peeled. The bumps wouldn't heal, and felt like a stinger was in them. Before long I had them all over both feet and ankles, my rectal area, and my arms. I went to the Dr and they were scabies and I was given permethrin cream. I have used this for weeks, and it seems to help for a few days but then I find new bumps and these create more sores, etc. I have laundered everything till I'm SICK of doing this. I am so angry, so embarrassed, no short sleeves or shorts for me, I have sores and scars all over my legs, hands and arms. I don't go out or socialize much anymore, because I have to hide all these ugly sores. At my wits end, I kept searching the net and found one that offered some hope. It said that neem from the neem tree in India is a very good natural treatment. It attacks the scabies ability to eat, suck and they starve to death, it also affects the eggs so they don't hatch. Get on discoverneem.com to read more. Click on "neem and scabies" on the left side and read all the info or click on "neem home remedies" I ordered fresh leaves and will let you all know how it works. The site says to make a paste out of fresh neem leaves and fresh turmeric root and apply it all over and let it dry, and to do this for a few days. It claims that studies done have shown it to be very effective in a short while. Hey, at this point I am desperate. I have tried tea tree shampoo, ironing bedding, etc, and I still feel crawly and itchy all the time. I read somewhere that you should launder clothing, dry it on high heat, and then after it cools, bag it for 10 days. Hope this helps someone.
EX-ITCHY

Grand Blanc, MI

#339 Nov 13, 2008
enchantedemma wrote:
My two youngest kids have an extreme case of scabies. There are six of us in our household and trying to keep up with all of the laundry is very tedious. They have had it for over a week and we just found out what it was yesterday. I treated our whole family last night and now I am washing all of our blankets and bedding today. At first we thought our kids had flea bites because we are battling that as well. I hope something gives soon!
I wish you all well. Just remember to retreat about every 5 days. Also, do some research on the net and find out about these little buggers, how they live, how they multiply, and especially how they die. Wash clothes and bedding every time you retreat. One of the main things you have to find out, is how you got them in the first place. Even if you do everything right and finally beat these little bastards, if the person or persons that gave them to you in the first place is not treated, you have a great likelyhood of reinfestation. Best of Luck
EX-ITCHY

Grand Blanc, MI

#340 Nov 13, 2008
britney wrote:
hello ive just been informed that i got scabies and my ENTIRE family does too..
i think i caught it from my roommate and her boyfriend thought he had fleas but they turned out to be scabies..
how long will this go on for?!
Hello Britney, How are you making out! Hope you started treatment weeks ago! Let us know!
Welty

AOL

#341 Nov 15, 2008
KayCee, Was that you that used the pour on Iver? Did you use it on your scalp? Me too, I confess, but for some reason it didn't seem to help me, so I didn't use it very long, maybe twice. Do you think that it gave you the fungal complication? Try plain yogurt on your scalp/hair at bedtime, let it dry and then wash in the AM. It actually will replace the good bacteria and it also is a natural antifungal. It is healing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what one treatment can do. Also, mites hate lactic acid which is a big part of yogurt, and it gets traveling mites. It probably wouldn't look worse than the boraxo? LOL.( Dang this disease for having so few options that aren't greasy or weird for hair.) I wish Sam would report about the fungal complications he said his derm told him he had. I hope to hel. that he doesn't have any more mites. I am glad to hear you are still kicking around, and glad that your hair is regrowing!
Mrs D

Anniston, AL

#342 Nov 16, 2008
What about the bleach in the bath water? Has anyone else tried ot for scabies?
Jackie Smallarz

Plattsburgh, NY

#343 Dec 1, 2008
I got scabies from a hospital, I had to sleep in this small room when my so was there very sick, i stayed 12 days, my legs were itching but didn;t think anythig of it, then we came home and i was all broken out on the legs and arms fingers, and yes down there. I was going crazy, then i did the cream two time and thought they were gone then i broke out again did the cream two more times, but the itching was still there,I then took a bath and sanded down my skin with a prumie tool for feet yes it hurts a little but did help, then lotioned up all over. so my skin could heal.then my doctor gave me prednisone and now am scabie free and healing up nicly 10mg take four tabs daiyl for 2daysthen 3daily for two daysthen 2daily for two days then 1 daily for two days, you will feel so so so much better like you again with out the scabies, wash you beddig everytwo days for a mouth, and anything you wear.and vacuum two times aday. good luck.
Brandi

Lake Geneva, WI

#345 Dec 7, 2008
My daughter and I have been treated for scabies.. We had to treat ourselves twice and it has gotten worse.. I am cleaning my sheets and washing CONSTANTLY! HELP! Does the bleach really work? And what is the sulfer that you are talking about from walmart! PLEASE HELP ME!!
Brandi

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#346 Dec 7, 2008
Also, times are rough and Christmas is near so money is tight.. any home remedies that ACTUALLY work would be great.. hope to get some good tips ASAP!
Scabies3

Vero Beach, FL

#347 Dec 7, 2008
Brandi wrote:
My daughter and I have been treated for scabies.. We had to treat ourselves twice and it has gotten worse.. I am cleaning my sheets and washing CONSTANTLY! HELP! Does the bleach really work? And what is the sulfer that you are talking about from walmart! PLEASE HELP ME!!
you can buy sublimed sulfur from americarx.com . mix with lotion or vaseline and apply full body. try to get some ivermectin. ivermectin works!! bleach is hard on you. i'm sure it will kills mites, if you apply it to a few areas. best to stay with the meds the docs use, permethrin, ivermectin, malathion lotion, benzyl benzoate lotion, sulfur, eurax. i'm sure someone else here will chime in for you.
EX-ITCHY

Grand Blanc, MI

#348 Dec 7, 2008
Brandi wrote:
My daughter and I have been treated for scabies.. We had to treat ourselves twice and it has gotten worse.. I am cleaning my sheets and washing CONSTANTLY! HELP! Does the bleach really work? And what is the sulfer that you are talking about from walmart! PLEASE HELP ME!!
Are you being reinfested from the original source? Someone in your life gave them to you or your daughter. If that person is still around and not treated, you could all be playing mite tag. Did you treat with Perm 5%? Did you both treat at the same time? You don't develop an immunity to scabies as you do with a virus. I also spot treated any new bites in between first and second treatment, and even after if I found anything. Unfortunately, you can have scabies for 2 to 6 weeks before you even know what you have and start treatment. All this time, you can be spreading the mites to those around you. If everyone that has them isn't treated at the same time, they keep being passed around. This is beatable, but you have to be persistant and do it by the book. Also, you didn't get them fast and they dont go away fast. Even after proper treatment, you will have itching. It takes several weeks for all the bites to heal, depending on how severe the mite damage is. Hang in there and you will beat this!
EX-ITCHY

Grand Blanc, MI

#349 Dec 7, 2008
Brandi wrote:
Also, times are rough and Christmas is near so money is tight.. any home remedies that ACTUALLY work would be great.. hope to get some good tips ASAP!
Dont waste your time or money on home remedies to kill the mites. Use the proper recommended treatments, then use whatever you want to help the itch, heal the skin, etc. But,,,if you dont kill the mites, you are just wasting your time!
Brandi

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#350 Dec 8, 2008
Yes we both used Anacin and that didnt work so we got Perm and still nothing.. we have all treated ourselves and keep getting it.. I just think that none of this prescription crap is killing it.. I do laundry nonstop and lysol and vacuum... I am going MAD like most of you all! This is soo ridiculous.... Thats why I was wondering if the peroxide, rubbing alcohol, bleach, sulfer cream worked... I dont have insurance either my daughter has a medical card but they are already questioning us going to the er 4 times in a month for this crap!! any new suggestions??
scared

Otis, MA

#351 Dec 8, 2008
EX-ITCHY wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont waste your time or money on home remedies to kill the mites. Use the proper recommended treatments, then use whatever you want to help the itch, heal the skin, etc. But,,,if you dont kill the mites, you are just wasting your time!
Since getting this I have been reading everything on these sites.. Does the bathing in borax work? Did you ever try it? and are you free and clear of scabbies?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
arm & hammer (Sep '09) 11 min Bill 955
Scabies help 2 hr Deed 18
Please help me guys (Oct '15) 21 hr parasites 61
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 21 hr parasites 1,425
Where to find the "Imidicroprid thread" and "I'... 22 hr parasites 3
will sulfur soap get rid of scabies (Jun '10) Thu Jenie 207
"Clove Oil Effective Treatment for Scabies" (Jun '11) Wed babakanuska 10
More from around the web