Scabies/Eggs lifespan? and a question...
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#107 Feb 11, 2009
Hope For You wrote:
<quoted text>
LIZ
Are you sure rubbing alcohol will kill them? I heard one woman say she used it on her skin when she got out of the shower and it helped along with perm cream and nix but I want 2 know if this really kills them because this would be a great natural alternative.
yes, it will kill surface crawlers or on fomites, like tables, chairs, etc. but it doesn't take much to kill a mite out in the open. it's more difficult to kill a mite which is burrowed under the skin, and that's where the permethrin comes in. or benzyl benzoate lotion, or malathion lotion, prescribed in the UK, or Eurax cream, or sulfur mixed with lotion/vaseline.

if i'm in bed and i feel some bites, i will spray either alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on that area, or i will just wipe it really hard with a hot wash cloth or a wet wash cloth. if i feel too many bites, i know it is the cover. i will then get another cover from the closet and throw the one i'm using somewhere far away where no one can get to it, until it is washed.

I once called an exterminator about my mite problem here, and the lady said to spray the walls with a mixture of alcohol and water. but now i realize that these mites are not on the walls, they are on ME and my very close surroundings.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#108 Feb 11, 2009
one lady on the birdmitesorg yahoo group uses Roach Prufe on her skin and environment. She had bird mites really bad for 2 years and now she is free of them. The ingredients in Roach Prufe is Boric Acid and something to make it taste bitter so kids and pets don't eat it. She says that this stuff clings to the mites and this is how she got rid of them in her home. You can purchase it online or from Ace Hardware.
microwave

Novo Mesto, Slovenia

#109 Mar 6, 2009
Various people led me to believe scabies were host specific i.e. dogs /humans. Not so. I had not had physical contact with anyone for a month or two so racked my brains to think how I contracted the disease. Then I remembered: I spent Christmas night with friends who recently acquired an abandoned dog. I am now fighting a scabies epidemic in my home.
The only useful bit of (perhaps) useful info I can add is if you are worried about a dryer not heating clothes sufficiently enough to kill mites and eggs, pop them in the microwave for a while! The radiation and intense heat should kill them for sure. Check once or twice during this period to make sure you're not destroying your clothes too! Otherwise an excellent method - and quicker than ironing seams.
Worried

Nashville, TN

#110 Apr 17, 2009
I did something really stupid and picked up a homeless man , to try to get him in off the streets . Little did I know that the man had scabbies . Now my 4 year old son has them . I took him to the Dr . but the dr perscribed lindan . Told me to wear gloves and to cover my son for 24 hours . Yet after reading the side effects of this drug . Im worried that the dr is a quack . my son only weighs 39 lbs . is this going to be to much for his little body to handle .
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#111 Apr 17, 2009
Worried wrote:
I did something really stupid and picked up a homeless man , to try to get him in off the streets . Little did I know that the man had scabbies . Now my 4 year old son has them . I took him to the Dr . but the dr perscribed lindan . Told me to wear gloves and to cover my son for 24 hours . Yet after reading the side effects of this drug . Im worried that the dr is a quack . my son only weighs 39 lbs . is this going to be to much for his little body to handle .
maybe you should take your son to an emergency room to get treated for scabies. the docs usually prescribe permethrin Elimite... but, i'm not sure about small children.

read up on lindane and see if you can give it to children. 39 pounds is light weight.... you are right to be worried.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#112 Apr 17, 2009
Worried wrote:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/lindane...

it says here not to give lindane to people who weigh under 110 pounds.,
Scabiesthedeatho fme

AOL

#113 Apr 18, 2009
Has anyone tried Icy Hot? It seemed to help me for a few days?
itchygirl in oh

Youngstown, OH

#114 Apr 19, 2009
I've been bagging all dirty clothes in garbage bags with 1/2 box of mothballs for several days before washing them. It seems to be helping and it's cheap. you can get mothballs form the dollar store, and I bought packs of cheap knee highs (pantyhose) to put them in.
nik

Fort Worth, TX

#115 Apr 19, 2009
Scabiesthedeathofme wrote:
Has anyone tried Icy Hot? It seemed to help me for a few days?
I wouldn't try it, I heard of a woman who covered herself in bengay and died. don't go to extremes.
mary

Indianapolis, IN

#116 Jun 8, 2009
if you don't get rid of the scabies initially, how long can they stay alive?
frieda

Augusta, GA

#117 Jun 8, 2009
mary wrote:
if you don't get rid of the scabies initially, how long can they stay alive?
scabies keep breeding like fleas and head lice. and are from the spider family.
Herndon

Herndon, VA

#120 Jul 12, 2009
OH GOD, save me from these scabies. I had about four bumps on me. Went to one doctor he said I have allergy. I did not believe him, so I went to another doctor the next day. He was even more stupid, he said I had fungus and prescribed lotriman. The next day I went to a dermatologist and he said that I had scabies which I believed. I am feeling better now but still itchy in the first week of treatment. Very scary thing. I was afraid I thought I have HIV or AIDS....
Dbites

Denver, CO

#121 Jul 15, 2009
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
The eggs do not just go away. The meds do not kill the eggs. They hatch out and carry on. This is why you need several applications of meds, about 7 days apart, to take care of egg hatching. And you have to try to keep everything clean, so you don't get reinfested, as the mites can live in the environment for a few days, track you down, crawl back on you, and start all over again, on you. Alot of us on here pick at our nodules and burrows. Our ability to do this, can keep the numbers down a little, but can cause infection, too. I just read an article the other day, that an adult female can lay up to 60-90 eggs in her lifetime. That's a lot of eggs.
I took ivermecton and it did kill the eggs, but I am pretty sure I got reinfected from work. The Ivermecton was really strong and I got 90 percent better. I can not get a doctor to give me anymore they do not think I have scabies just an allergic reaction. Who gets an allergic reaction that Ivermecton helps. Nobody that's who I still have scabies and I hate the 5 doc I have seen. They all told me different things! I think Ivermecton works the best at killing the eggs but you need to find a doctor that will give you a lot, and this maybe hard. They wont give it to my mom because she is older and they said her liver could not take it. I am still trying to help her. Going to use the Ivermcton Horse paste as a topical and see how that goes. Good luck to everyone and die scabies die!
Uncle Iver

Oak Harbor, WA

#122 Jul 15, 2009
Dbites wrote:
<quoted text> I took ivermecton and it did kill the eggs, but I am pretty sure I got reinfected from work. The Ivermecton was really strong and I got 90 percent better. I can not get a doctor to give me anymore they do not think I have scabies just an allergic reaction. Who gets an allergic reaction that Ivermecton helps. Nobody that's who I still have scabies and I hate the 5 doc I have seen. They all told me different things! I think Ivermecton works the best at killing the eggs but you need to find a doctor that will give you a lot, and this maybe hard. They wont give it to my mom because she is older and they said her liver could not take it. I am still trying to help her. Going to use the Ivermcton Horse paste as a topical and see how that goes. Good luck to everyone and die scabies die!
Ivermectin does not kill the eggs. That is a fact. The effect is only on the adult mites.
Be careful using the horsepaste as a topical, you could make yourself very sick. Ivermectin is a neurotoxin and hard on the liver used in improper doses. Good luck.
Fred

Hollywood, FL

#123 Jul 15, 2009
Uncle Iver wrote:
<quoted text> Ivermectin does not kill the eggs. That is a fact. The effect is only on the adult mites.
Be careful using the horsepaste as a topical, you could make yourself very sick. Ivermectin is a neurotoxin and hard on the liver used in improper doses. Good luck.
Uncle Iver. lol..... That is a cute name.... lol... Wednesday.... lol....
Morticia....lol.....how about lurch....
Dbites

Denver, CO

#124 Jul 19, 2009
Uncle Iver wrote:
<quoted text> Ivermectin does not kill the eggs. That is a fact. The effect is only on the adult mites.
Yeah it did not work well for me as a topical I did not seem to get any better and I think it was really hard on my liver. The doctor are giving it my 55 year old mother and it freaks me out she is doing bad. I though they gave it elderly and aids patents how can they take it if it is so strong. I is it because they are dieing anyway so they have to be aggressive, and risk them having liver problems or failure. On doc told my mom her liver could not handle it. Her new derm has her taking 7 3mg pills twice (once more). She had hot flashes and chest pain. I just want her to get better. If this is bird mites would Ivermecton help it? what about dandruff cat mites (chelliea? that is not the right spelling.
itchygirl

Youngstown, OH

#125 Jul 20, 2009
Dbites,
If it is bird mites it will help but not cure. Bird mites are very similar to scabies, but you have to treat the environment very aggressively. I currently have a bird mite problem, which was diagnosed as scabies for 9 months, and I am finally getting relief due to combining scabies treatments with lots of environmental. Roach Prufe and Nylar (insecticides) in the environment are my best weapons in combination with borax and epson salts baths, iver and Eurax lotion. It seems that these things are a little easier to get off of your skin (than scabies) but a lot harder to get out of your house. So it seems like nothing is working because you get reinfested continuously. I thought my 'scabies' was burrowed in and highly resistant. But now I have realized that they were all over my house, particularly my bedroom. If you think it is birdmites, read birdmites.org website for environmental ideas. Good luck.
buggie

United States

#126 Jul 22, 2009
Itchygirl,
Where did you get the nylar and explain mixing it.
Isn't roachprufe boric acid?
Also. Could you post the names of the pesticides again that your birdmite exterminator used?
And what are you using in your car? I only want names of pesticides that get rid of birdmites in the environment.
Thanks. Maybe you can start a new thread so its easy to find.

I've been almost totally cured thanks to iver and sulfer but there's still some in my new car or somewhere cos I can feel wispy tiny crawlers occasionally. I get them b4 they have a chance to penetrate my skin but I want this over completely.
kerrie

Marion, IA

#127 Jul 23, 2009
i just don't know what to do any more!!! i have cleaned and cleaned till the cows came home!! and i have treated my whole family with 5 0/0 permethrin cream. but why do we have them come back every two f-ing weeks. it has been a month and a half. we have treated eachother at the same time 3 times now.. I need to find something to kill the eggs because nothing is killing them. and that is why i think they keep coming back. but i need something safe for my 6 and 9 yr old kids too...
Dbites

Denver, CO

#128 Jul 23, 2009
itchygirl wrote:
Dbites,
If it is bird mites it will help but not cure. Bird mites are very similar to scabies, but you have to treat the environment very aggressively. I currently have a bird mite problem, which was diagnosed as scabies for 9 months, and I am finally getting relief due to combining scabies treatments with lots of environmental. Roach Prufe and Nylar (insecticides) in the environment are my best weapons in combination with borax and epson salts baths, iver and Eurax lotion. It seems that these things are a little easier to get off of your skin (than scabies) but a lot harder to get out of your house. So it seems like nothing is working because you get reinfested continuously. I thought my 'scabies' was burrowed in and highly resistant. But now I have realized that they were all over my house, particularly my bedroom. If you think it is birdmites, read birdmites.org website for environmental ideas. Good luck.
Okay I got that much already but what I really need to know is if bird mites burrow because I read they do not and these things tunnel through my skin, also at first I could see big ass white spots that I thought was danderuff from my cat since my treatment I do not have anything I can see just ithcy zit looking things on my shoulder blades and my head and nose itch. I steam cleaned my aparment, washed my walls and base boards with bleach, put all of my stuff in plastic, but I only got a little better. Also don't bird mites live off of there host during the day because these do get off me they burrow and stay. So what I really want to know is if any bird mites burrow and stay on you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Resistant Scabies 33 min Please Lord help Me 22
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) 45 min Please Lord help Me 589
will sulfur soap get rid of scabies (Jun '10) 6 hr Justagirl 232
why you are not beating the mites..... (Jul '10) 10 hr Mallox 48
Cured finally after 2 years 14 hr Fred 1
How do you treat Scabies on your lips? (Jan '12) 16 hr Bluesky 14
Do scabies get in your throat? (Nov '10) 16 hr Bluesky 47
More from around the web