7 year itch

Orange, CA

#41 Apr 17, 2008
I've dedicated a LOT of time and research to put up a free help and advice site in regards to scabies. I will also try and answer any questions the best I can at www.Geocities.com/dhr6878 Scabies is absolutely the worst thing to get rid of and stay free of
Carol

Lisle, IL

#42 May 17, 2008
Does chlorine (as in a pool)or UV rays kill scabies mites? Should I spray &/or the mattress? Can I vaccuum them up from the carpet? AAAAHHHH!
dog hotel

Indianapolis, IN

#43 May 26, 2008
My last project before I retired involved travel near St. Louis.
There is a hotel in front King's Island (St. Louis) where I stayed on business every other week September-November 2007. It seemed OK and the staff were nice. However, it is a hotel that caters to dog owners, does dog shows and contests and puppy swaps on their grounds.
It started in early November 2007 with a ferocious itch on the knee that just would not go away.
The Dermatologist cut it out December 17th but the wound never healed and itched worse than before -- and still does!
By the end of January I had four other itchy spots that a second dermatologist did a biopsy on one (not CANCER!!), used liquid nitrogen to freeze the 3 others and suggested that I see a shrink or wear a flea collar. He was not nice :(
By mid-March, I am beside myself. One of the spots that was treated with liquid nitrogen seemed to get infected and developed a big ring.
I see an Allergist to learn that I am very allergic to candida and some sort of mold (not house mites). He put me on 5-day Factive (for staph) and Gluconazole (for candida).
During April, my hands break out in postules. I wear clean pairs of socks over my hands at night to keep me from scratching myself raw while I sleep.
In desperation, I beg the G.P. on May 19th to do ANYTHING. She called in a script for and I used the whole tube of Premethrin-5% from eye brow to toes. The nature of the insidious itch seems to have changed so I talked her into a refill which I applied on May 24th. It seems that I shouldn't be getting new bites / postules but I sure am!
On opening the postules and putting the "water" on a microscope slide, I can now be certain that these basturds are indeed mites. I have 150-200 "bites" in various stages, some are singles, others are grouped. I have some in my hair on the back of my head. They especially like my belly button but I have a great many on my arms, hands and legs with scattered bites on my torso. Thank goodness, they have stayed away from my groin. so far.
Today is May 26th and I continue to have new postules but perhaps fewer as the days go by ???
The ring around one of the itches that was frozen February 4th is now about the the size of a strawberry, and looks like one after I shower.
Please don't snicker as I am truthful. I have had NO intimate contact / ANY contact beyond a business hand shake with anyone other than my wife. Also, while I have indeed been intimate with her, she shows no signs of bites at all. Nonetheless, both of us used Premethrin 5% on May 24th. And we are cleaning 24 hours / day.
I am fortunate that I have and know how to use a microscope. I have burrowing mites (perhaps another issue with this strawberry?)
I am still mostly confused. One would think that if I have scabies, my wife would too?
If Premethrin works, how and when will I begin to notice?
Special thanks to those supporting this forum and to the resident expert!!
Mite Killer

Del Mar, CA

#44 May 26, 2008
The scalp should also be treated. Try to get a RX for Ivermectin. Tell your MD to refer to the CDC's recommendation for use of the off-label drug Ivermectin to treat scabies.

There are other choices for topical scabicides. Lindane 1%, Sulfur 10%, BB 25% are a few that are available for purchase online if you can't get refills from your MD.
Welty

AOL

#45 May 27, 2008
Dog Hotel, Your story really sounds so sad, as at least I guess my Docs believed me, but I burn on your behalf for having that insensitive Doc. I also saw (one) white mite on a scope. I believe that my mites are canine, and some people they don't burrow on, but if they do, then they can reproduce and there are several articles about this on vet websites. My husband is also a non-reacter. Same with Sam's ex-girlfriend. While these don't seem as contagious, they are real, and a form of scabies, that is just as itchy, although the rash pattern is not characteristically human, they are a form of scabies. Please, do what I did not do. Treat with Perm again (both of you for insurance) when it's been 5-7 days. Then maybe spot treat with sulfer and keep up the cleaning. I think that if I'd known that one round of Perm couldn't cure you, it says on the label it does, but it does not kill the eggs. You have time. Try that route first. You may never need the Iver etc. Also, get your scalp with the perm if that's affected! Oh, yeah, and don't wash the Perm off in eight hours, it seems to need to be on longer, I went pretty long myself, go the max or even longer if you tolerate Perm well. Get under the nails. And keep up the spot treating with sulfer for a good long while. BB if you're not sweaty and Lindane makes a good spot treat. For sure that strawberry should have Perm for at least 24 hours, then spot treat it continuously. Sulfer is also antibacterial, so if it has some bacteria in it, that would be good. I feel bad for you! BB is supposed to be really good, and it's good for washing clothes. Wear once and wash with Benzol Benzoate. Iron clothes that can't be washed on hot, otherwise, it's just easier to wash everything on hot. Wipe off your feet before you go to bed with gel alchohol, and keep some washable plastic shoes or flip flops to keep mites out of your sheets. Borax or Fleabusters in your carpets. Fleabusters is Sodium Borate, like Borax, but it has a static charge to stay in your carpets for a year, you can buy it for $30 online and brush it in your rugs. Take care. Don't give up. Watch your computer keyboard. Use a sheet of saran daily to cover the keyboard, even at work and say you don't like germs. Watch your cell phone, keep it bagged and use the bag like a wrapper. I know this sounds ridiculous, but these are the worst areas for many of us.
Welty

AOL

#46 May 27, 2008
P.S. Get a bottle of DeFlea area spray for a nontoxic mite killer. It softens the exoskeletons to death. It is good for cars and the chair you sit in most where you touch fabric, armrests, knees, headrest, etc. It doesn't have a residual, it will reboot an area, but it needs to be reapplied as often as you can afford it, but mainly you can target the areas areas that need it the most, the car headrest, seatbelt and steering wheel for example. Unless you wear shorts a lot then some more on the seat. But it's non-toxic to people or pets. If you don't have a cat, Pyrethrin sprays labeled for fabrics, from the pet store is good for cloth furniture/rugs if you don't get use Borax or Fleabusters powder in the caret. Get a mattress encasement on your bed, vinyl or cloth dustmite one. You are in for a fight, but it is winnable.
blah

Sacramento, CA

#47 May 28, 2008
anyone know what the lowest temperature is that guys can survive in? ive been isolating my sheets for 4-5 days, but i think that may not be enough. i'm thinking of putting them along with other clothes that are not dirty, into a plastic garbage bag with holes punched into them (so cold air can get in) and leaving it outside overnight so they can hopefully freeze. btw, i've been using the Stromectol from MagicPharma.com and the stuff is legit. whenever i get new outbreaks the stuff starts to dry them up within a day. most effective when taken at night and the two hot showers a day def help.
blah

Sacramento, CA

#49 May 28, 2008
btw, when you do the hot showers it really helps to use some type of a body brush with bristles.
alhatesitchen

Oak Harbor, WA

#50 May 28, 2008
Mite Killer wrote:
The scalp should also be treated. Try to get a RX for Ivermectin. Tell your MD to refer to the CDC's recommendation for use of the off-label drug Ivermectin to treat scabies.
There are other choices for topical scabicides. Lindane 1%, Sulfur 10%, BB 25% are a few that are available for purchase online if you can't get refills from your MD.
You really need to chill out with the Ivermectin. YOu act like that is the only cure.
doing my head in -

Bradford, UK

#51 Jun 9, 2008
well thought it was proberbly beg bugs but after my internet search def think its scabies, I am guessing the best thing is p and the tablets you all mention and I read tea tree oil and neem oil are suposed to also help. Did anyone have their place / clothes fumigated? does this help and again like the others I want to know whats best to treat the furniture or did u guys just throw it out?
JD NYC

Deer Park, NY

#52 Jun 9, 2008
Hey guys, I just wanted to let all of you know that you WILL get rid of this horrible affliction, it just takes time, diligence, and a little common sense. I caught scabies from a friend who was visiting me last October. I was living in a studio-like apartment, so we shared a bed. At the time he was taking medication for a misdiagnosed case of eczema, and mentioned that he was having trouble sleeping because the itching was so bad. I even remember asking him if he was sure it wasn't scabies, but he said he'd had them once in the past (in Europe) and that it felt different than this. The itching started very gradually, mostly on my hands around what I thought were small warts between my fingers. In December, the itching was so bad I wanted to rip my skin off, but I wrote it off as "winter itch" and bought cremes and lotions up the wazoo trying to alleviate the irritation. In January, I was talking to my friend who had visited; he told me that his doctor in Austria diagnosed him with scabies and that's when my worst fears were finally confirmed. Let me tell you, it was a real battle to get rid of the little buggers. Since I'd had them for so long and was living in so small a space, the entire place was infested with them. I'd just switched insurance companies and had yet to pick a primary care doc so I went to an urgent care center after reading all I could on the subject.
JD NYC

Deer Park, NY

#53 Jun 9, 2008
... continued.

I won't go into the humiliating specifics, but let me tell you, the doctor at the clinic treated me as if I had the plague. He made me feel awful and dirty. As I was leaving with my prescription for a single solitary tube of permethrin that he promised would clear up my infestation, he told the people in the waiting room that they all had to clear the room so he could set off a fumigator to kill an infestation of "body lice" that a patient might have contaminated the room with. I about died of shame.
When I got to the pharmacy, I was visibly shaken, and luckily, the pharmacist had a much better bedside manner than the doctor I'd seen. He was shocked to hear how I was treated and surprised that I was only given one tube of medicine. He called the doctor and asked if he could give me 3 tubes, or at the very least 2, just to be safe, but the doctor refused.
I used the cream, cleaned like crazy, and for a little while (about a week) things were better, but then I started to find new bites and the unbearable itching returned. Since my first experience going to a doctor for this was so traumatic, I put off going back to a doctor, which was a big mistake. After 3 weeks, the scabies were back in even greater numbers than before and I was miserable. I finally went back to the same urgent care center (after having called ahead to make sure the jerk doc wasn't working). His coworker was much better, but didn't believe me when I told him how the other doctor behaved. Luckily, one of the nurses who took care of me that day was there and confirmed my story. The new doc promised to "talk to" the other doctor. He also gave me a prescription for 3 tubes of permethrin and gave me detailed instructions on how to clean my place and clothes. He also suggested that I go on vacation to let all the scabies in my place die while I was away. After the 3 weekly treatments with the cream, I was still convinced that I was getting new bites, but now I'm not so sure. It took a good 3 months for the itching to completely go away. I noticed a BIG boost in relief after going on vacation... I think the relaxation helped boost my immune system, which helped to push the dead scabies and their contaminants out of my body. Also, I soaked in the ocean for a few hours a day. So, basically, I had scabies symptoms from October 07 till mid April 08. Let me tell you, the day I realized that I no longer had any red marks on me and was not itchy at all was the best day of the year!
Don't make my mistakes... if you think you have scabies and your doctor disagrees, tell him to do a scraping. If he treats you badly or is not giving you the help you need, find another doctor that will. It's your body, your health, and a degree on a wall doesn't give any doctor the right to belittle you or disregard your opinion. Bathe often. Use tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil to help with the itching. Eat well, try to get lots of sleep, and if you can, leave your house/apartment for a week to starve the scabies that your vigorous cleaning may have missed. Most importantly, know that you will get through this and that having scabies doesn't say anything about your personal hygiene, morals, or status as a decent human being. Stay strong and hang in there!
JD NYC

Deer Park, NY

#54 Jun 9, 2008
I won't go into the humiliating specifics, but let me tell you, the doctor at the clinic treated me as if I had the plague. He made me feel awful and dirty. As I was leaving with my prescription for a single solitary tube of permethrin that he promised would clear up my infestation, he told the people in the waiting room that they all had to clear the room so he could set off a fumigator to kill an infestation of "body lice" that a patient might have contaminated the room with. I about died of shame.
When I got to the pharmacy, I was visibly shaken, and luckily, the pharmacist had a much better bedside manner than the doctor I'd seen. He was shocked to hear how I was treated and surprised that I was only given one tube of medicine. He called the doctor and asked if he could give me 3 tubes, or at the very least 2, just to be safe, but the doctor refused.
I used the cream, cleaned like crazy, and for a little while (about a week) things were better, but then I started to find new bites and the unbearable itching returned. Since my first experience going to a doctor for this was so traumatic, I put off going back to a doctor, which was a big mistake. After 3 weeks, the scabies were back in even greater numbers than before and I was miserable. I finally went back to the same urgent care center (after having called ahead to make sure the jerk doc wasn't working). His coworker was much better, but didn't believe me when I told him how the other doctor behaved. Luckily, one of the nurses who took care of me that day was there and confirmed my story. The new doc promised to "talk to" the other doctor. He also gave me a prescription for 3 tubes of permethrin and gave me detailed instructions on how to clean my place and clothes. He also suggested that I go on vacation to let all the scabies in my place die while I was away. After the 3 weekly treatments with the cream, I was still convinced that I was getting new bites, but now I'm not so sure. It took a good 3 months for the itching to completely go away. I noticed a BIG boost in relief after going on vacation... I think the relaxation helped boost my immune system, which helped to push the dead scabies and their contaminants out of my body. Also, I soaked in the ocean for a few hours a day. So, basically, I had scabies symptoms from October 07 till mid April 08. Let me tell you, the day I realized that I no longer had any red marks on me and was not itchy at all was the best day of the year!
Don't make my mistakes... if you think you have scabies and your doctor disagrees, tell him to do a scraping. If he treats you badly or is not giving you the help you need, find another doctor that will. It's your body, your health, and a degree on a wall doesn't give any doctor the right to belittle you or disregard your opinion. Bathe often. Use tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil to help with the itching. Eat well, try to get lots of sleep, and if you can, leave your house/apartment for a week to starve the scabies that your vigorous cleaning may have missed. Most importantly, know that you will get through this and that having scabies doesn't say anything about your personal hygiene, morals, or status as a decent human being. Stay strong and hang in there!
Sleepless

Burlington, NJ

#55 Jun 10, 2008
Itchy....They told me I had eczema too even though I KNEW it was scabies. If they would have given me the Permethrin when it was just one little spot on my arm I might not be as bad as I am now (it is everywhere and "spreading - moving" fast).

So now I sit here unable to sleep...I know the second treatment didn't work because I have more bites today then yesterday and I still can't sleep.
jb harlem ny

New York, NY

#56 Jun 28, 2008
this is the worse i had them for 2months but no body else is itching in my house and with out knowing who infected us it can happen again
hmmmmm

AOL

#57 Jun 29, 2008
MITE KILLER ---PLEASE STOP PEDDLING IVERMECTIN LIKE ITS THE ONLY CURE. Ivermectin is a FUNGUS derivitive in a paste tube or pill used to treat horses, it is anecdotal med reports that iver cures scabies in humans and THERE ARE NO FDA CLINICAL TRIALS done yet on ivermectin, so there is no proof iver kills scabies in humans. Mite killer, janetinnyc and sam have been taking iver for years and months and those three posters are still horribly infected, sam, mite killer and janetinnyc attacked me when i posted tons natural cures here on the forum, those three UNCURED esp janetinnyc are boasting about infecting others and sam and janetinnyc and mite killer VERBALLY ABUSE and name called me and other newcommers on this forum, those 3, mite killer janetinnyc and sam are very sick and UNCURED and they attack newcommers with new ideas. sam, janetinnyc and mite killer are abusive to others who try natural cures and those three are NO GOOD as helpful informative posters.very uncured mean people = mite killer sam and backstabber public health infector janetinnyc who brags shes infesting hotels all over florida, yuck
hmmmmm

AOL

#58 Jun 29, 2008
ivermectin side effects include swelling and edema, paralysis, nerve damage and stroke

permethrin side effects include paralysis, stroke nerve and neurological damage, and sponginform skin disease

permethrin used sparingly and correctly by those NOT allegic to chrysanthemum seems to have the best posted cure rates. sulfer burns sensitive skin but also has good effecacy rates. neem, anise and many many other botanicals and other natural cures also have clinically proven patented mite egg and larva killing ability.

The hate natural cures gang, sam, mite killer, janetinnyc will disagree with me but those natural cure haters are often too far gone anyway needing to live on morphine/heroine to cope with thier uncured conditions and reliance on no cure dope. natural cure haters creep me and other healthy people out. they have odious ulterior motives or are just toxic, yuck.
visit www.curezone.com for tons of natural cures and fda approved medicine
B in Baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#59 Jul 13, 2008
Thank you for posting all this valuable information. You know what you are talking about. Thank you so much.
B in Baltimore
itchininthesouth

Carthage, TX

#60 Jul 14, 2008
Boy people sure have a million different opinions on this, but one thing we can all agree on, scabies sucks! I am waiting for my drs appointment later today and I will be so glad. I have to say, though the bleach is not going to kill these thing, it has helped with the itchiness this weekend. I have been washing, washing, washing everything this weekend. I have to say, that the weirdest thing about this, is my husband NEVER gets them. I am glad for him, but I wish they didn't find me so delectable.

“Mamma Dukes”

Since: Jun 08

Stamford

#61 Jul 14, 2008
itchynscratchysh0w wrote:
and an other question--- is premethrin safe to use on your face? I was told by my doctor not to, but it seems like some people on this forum recommend it?
I used it on my scalp and applied lightly to my forehead, cheeks, nose and chin...behind my ears, and neck. So, yes, it's safe - just keep away from the eyes and apply lightly!

Your OP - it takes at least 3 weeks for the itching to stop. It's an allergic reaction to the Perm. Red spots will sprout - but apply a topical anti-itch cream and do not touch it!

It works! Perm works! I'm cured! All the best to you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scabies Is Highly Contagious (Mar '06) 2 hr wannaemgone2 7,286
I've had scabies for 4 years! (Apr '11) 7 hr ReadyToJump 40
Scabies cured (Dec '08) 9 hr wannaemgone2 101
Do you get new bumps after post-scabies? (Sep '11) 10 hr wannaemgone2 245
Scabies Cure: SULFUR (Oct '08) Sat mr4rocky 289
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Sat Riverliver 4,400
Is ivermectin injectable approved for humans? (Mar '12) Sat wannaemgone2 6
More from around the web