Scabies/Eggs lifespan? and a question...
totally cunfused

Chaska, MN

#511 Aug 27, 2014
Also the red marks scab over and heal quickly. Is this usual for scabies symptoms ? The pictures I looked at seem as though they get infected and or bigger.
none

Lake Elsinore, CA

#514 Sep 27, 2014
Oh, and also I sprinkled diatomaceous earth food grade all over the carpets and left for 4 days. The air conditioner picked it up and dusted the house with it! The vacuums get clogged and spread it more. I had to use a carpet cleaner to get it up. What a pain but there are now bugs in the house (except maybe these scabies). I'd put it on the dogs and it killed their fleas too and I shampooed them twice a week apart in flea shampoo.
All this aside I am still itching like mad and last night I started feeling what felt like being bitten on the back of my neck.
I am thinking about buying sulfer cream and soap.
I am reading that you still have affects after of the scabies due to their bodies, saliva, and feces after treatment for a month or two. I don't know if they are alive or dead.
Does anyone have any suggestions?:(
none

Lake Elsinore, CA

#515 Sep 27, 2014
*that's "no" not "now"
victim

Philippines

#516 Oct 27, 2014
itchynscratchysh0w wrote:
how long can scabies and the scabie babies still in their eggs live without human contact? if i just threw all of my clothes into my closet, and didn't touch them for x amount of days, would that work? or do things really need to be kept in airtight bags?
also... i know that a side affect of premethrin is itchiness, but how long is that suppost to last? I used premethrin 5 last friday, and i'm still itchy. Is it because of the premethrin, because i'm still infested, or because although the scabies may be dead, i'm still have an allergic reaction?
annnd one more thing-- is there anything i can do to prevent scabies? once i am cured, is there any product i can use to prevent them?(other than, of course, making sure anyone i come in contact with does not have any signs of scabies)
I hope everyone is doing well!!!
how long did you have scabies?
KiwiNinja

Los Angeles, CA

#518 Dec 3, 2014
and an other question--- is premethrin safe to use on your face? I was told by my doctor not to, but it seems like some people on this forum recommend it?
Its not safe, premethrin has a chance to be fatal if over used or in vertain areas.
Bill

Toledo, OH

#519 Dec 4, 2014
Hi
you can soak them out of your. facewith. a cotton rag soaked in 2 tbls borax and 1 gallon of. warm water. for 30 mins. it is easy while. in the tub taking a bath., but if. i am to busy , i just keep walking by the sink while. i do my chores and re wet my face holding the borax soluttion rag on my face for 1 minute or so then go back to chores , i do this for 30 mins daily if the bug is attacking my face , it. kills it. in. 1 -2 weeks

God bless you ,

Bill
KiwiNinja wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not safe, premethrin has a chance to be fatal if over used or in vertain areas.
ramjett

Fort Pierce, FL

#520 Dec 22, 2014
Walmart on line has a asst. Of sprays and such for killing them. You have to get them all. Spray and clean. I put clothing in plastic bags and spray inside the bags and let stay 24 hrs. Than wash and dry I
For a hr.
ramjett

Fort Pierce, FL

#521 Dec 22, 2014
Replaced furniture with leather type.. Removed carpet, rugs. I put clothing in plastic bags spray with perm. Than stay for a few days than wash and dry for a extra 45 mins. After they are all dry.I found that after I used the cream, I was Still getting bit, I was re infecting myself. You MUST clean , treat clothing worn and spray it , dry in dryer for at least 45 min. Just stick with the same items till you are over the dam bugs. Sawyer brand spray from walmart let's you treat clothing..
Bitten

Galway, Ireland

#524 Jan 20, 2015
how long can scabies and the scabie babies still in their eggs live without human contact? if i just threw all of my clothes into my closet, and didn't touch them for x amount of days, would that work? or do things really need to be kept in airtight bags?
also... i know that a side affect of premethrin is itchiness, but how long is that suppost to last? I used premethrin 5 last friday, and i'm still itchy. Is it because of the premethrin, because i'm still infested, or because although the scabies may be dead, i'm still have an allergic reaction?
annnd one more thing-- is there anything i can do to prevent scabies? once i am cured, is there any product i can use to prevent them?(other than, of course, making sure anyone i come in contact with does not have any signs of scabies)
I have unfortunately found out from my own experience that they will survive at LEAST 19 days on clothing as when i put back on a jacket after this time my neck and wrist got savaged like never before, it was if they were starving . How much longer than this they survive i do not know but the quotes of 4 or 5 days that i had read were totally wrong.

Since: Dec 14

Richmond, TX

#525 Jan 20, 2015
It depends on the bug. This study suggests that bird mites can live for months without a host.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar...

Ours can, apparently, live 4 or 5 months without a blood meal.
eiram

Carrollton, TX

#526 Jan 21, 2015
I first got scabies from my boyfriend and his brother. We believe his house is becoming infested. I would stay over on a regular basis and would ever hardly sleep on my bed. is it possible that I may have infested my room at all? Or do they spread pretty quickly?

I'm the only person in my house that has it, again I'm hardly home, so I'm really not sure if I should treat my environment as serious as others.
eiram

Carrollton, TX

#527 Jan 21, 2015
Also, what is a good routine I can follow?
I tried the permeth cream last night but was a little itchy throughout the night. I just really hope this cream works..
And about the sulfur ointments and soaps? Has anyone tried those and was affective?
Peta

Florissant, MO

#528 Jan 21, 2015
eiram wrote:
Also, what is a good routine I can follow?
I tried the permeth cream last night but was a little itchy throughout the night. I just really hope this cream works..
And about the sulfur ointments and soaps? Has anyone tried those and was affective?
Tea Tree Oil and Vodka 50/50. Put in a spray bottle and spray all over your body often. After a week you can reduce application to twice a day for 2 or three weeks. Then apply once a day for extra measure. Shower with sulfur 8 shampoo. Consider taking a supplement like Natures Answer Black Walnut Complex. Natures Answer has a liquid form too, Black Walnut Complex Extract, and you can mix into your favorite lotion (bottle to bottle measurements). Use Listerine mouthwash 2 to 3 times a day.

Clean your house hard surfaces with Lysol and ammonia. Shampoo your furniture and carpet with a little ammonia, after it dries saturate with bug spray. Every three days steam your carpets and re-spray with bug spray.

Wash your clothes with Arm N Hammer with Oxy detergent, iron or steam everything before you put it on.
tiael

Woburn, MA

#534 Feb 19, 2015
does anyone know if scabies can be contagious/ transferred by using (sharing a )Razor?

have had it for couple weeks now and dr. gave me the premthrin, but think my partner may have used my razor...very worried. thanks
just want it gone

Sevierville, TN

#535 Apr 29, 2015
I've been using bleach and what I can't use bleach on I use Lysol or head lice spray or bag it up and tie.
just want it gone

Sevierville, TN

#536 Apr 29, 2015
tiael wrote:
does anyone know if scabies can be contagious/ transferred by using (sharing a )Razor?
have had it for couple weeks now and dr. gave me the premthrin, but think my partner may have used my razor...very worried. thanks
I would think so because if scratching can spread it then why wouldn't a razor. after I treated myself and my family I threw away all our razors and got new. Every one you've had close contact with should be treated. Me and my whole family got them just from letting someone stay with us they were very itchy but I knew nothing of scabies so just figured they had dry skin from the winter time.
Bill

Taylor, MI

#537 Apr 29, 2015
Hi

Soaking razors and combs in 1 tbls arm and hammer powdered laundry soap and 1 cup ov water keeps them clean and bug free , also 1 cup in the bath tub and soak for 30 mins kills bugs very well and its painless

God bless you ,

Bill
just want it gone wrote:
I've been using bleach and what I can't use bleach on I use Lysol or head lice spray or bag it up and tie.
lynn

Oakland, CA

#541 Jul 25, 2015

You can have it passed back to you from anyone. To my knowledge there is no 'cure' that stops you from getting it. But menthol and alcohol are good to repel them. That I found out during my issue with them. So put menthol in your lotion and lotion yourself every day Lysol cut down the ones off of the body but i figure it wasn't strong enough to kill them all.. IF YOU GO OUT spray yourself and anything you touch when you come back with alcohol unless you used menthol that repels them. SPRAY YOUR HOUSE WITH THE ALCOHOL IT KILLS THEM ON CONTACT. I HAVE NO ANSWER AS TO HOW LONG THE KILLING ABILITY LASTS SO i WOULD SAY ONCE A DAY. I have no idea as I said how long the spray of alcohol lasts but it did clear the issue I had and as I said I spray my house every day ok? The statements of how long they live off of your body and possibly on it are wrong. I was exposed to it after a month of the person being "cured" and not even in the area anymore. Unless it mutated or mated with a mite that has a longer life span. I will be continuing to look for a permanent cure and I will post here or Patient.com
lynn

Oakland, CA

#542 Jul 25, 2015
just want it gone wrote:

Use alcohol. if you can find it with menthol if not buy menthol and put it into the alcohol. it kills them on contact and the menthol will repel them. Alcohol kills up to roaches from what I have found. I used a standard strength of alcohol and it worked. There is strengths up to I believe 90 something plus stronger versions of it to use. Maybe that will kill longer too. No I didn't test that on the roaches someone else is said to have done so. But I used this to kill them on my bed. I sprayed the alcohol on the bed and let it dry. I tried the clorox too but i left the odor of bleach. The alcohol did not and it killed the insects. But I do it every day to be safe. I haven't sprayed in a week cause i wasn't home so I'll see how well it worked without a daily dose of alcohol when I get back. will say it did kill the ones on my bed cause when i was home I slept in it with no issues. I will be checking the theory of the eggs when I get home hatching.
Justice

Grand Rapids, MI

#544 Sep 18, 2015
I'm fighting with them right now. It's been going on for maybe 4 to 5 months, I've been to the doctors like 10 times for the same thing. When I went in for the first time they thought it was fungus. But I know I had scabies. Ive put on the perm cream on like 3 time and nothing. I've cleaned my entire room and nothing. I've vacuumed my rug my bed. So someone please let me know wgat I can do. Now I think my whole house is infected. Now we are all fighting them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
10 years and finally cured! (Aug '16) 46 min Sdcsteve 24
Scabies won't go away (Aug '06) 48 min Sdcsteve 1,239
having a scary exp. with scabies (Oct '12) 1 hr Sdcsteve 29
How many times can I use Benzyl Benzoate before... (Aug '10) 1 hr Sdcsteve 19
Can I Mix Permethrin 10% with Lotion to make 5%... (Jul '09) 1 hr Sdcsteve 76
Mite nest in my groin infecting hands fast 1 hr Sdcsteve 4
Can someone explain the pin pricks? 1 hr Sdcsteve 9
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) Fri Myrna Sacks 608
More from around the web