lorak

Ireland

#21 Nov 27, 2007
i'm using Stromectol 3mg tablets... 5 of these in one go for a once off. doc perscribed after everything else failed. i'm wearing gloves so that if i scratch, the eggs cant go under my nails. i've been told that the only way these eggs can live is if you injest them.. that burrowing occurs only after they go inside you... so that you cant get it from shakin hands unless you put your hand in your mouth... i'm probably wrong but i will say, the disposable glove thing helps as its stopping me from ithing too much. also, get Betnovate.. its to help relieve the itch, especially at night... only taken those tablets today, so will see how it goes..
Mite Killer

United States

#22 Nov 27, 2007
lorak wrote:
i'm using Stromectol 3mg tablets... 5 of these in one go for a once off. doc perscribed after everything else failed. i'm wearing gloves so that if i scratch, the eggs cant go under my nails. i've been told that the only way these eggs can live is if you injest them.. that burrowing occurs only after they go inside you... so that you cant get it from shakin hands unless you put your hand in your mouth... i'm probably wrong but i will say, the disposable glove thing helps as its stopping me from ithing too much. also, get Betnovate.. its to help relieve the itch, especially at night... only taken those tablets today, so will see how it goes..
The act of burrowing is when mites enter the skin and carve out tunnels and moulting pouches. Mites burrow under your skin and lay eggs in the statum corneum skin layer.

Wearing disposable gloves is a good idea if you scratch and will prevent spreading of mites.

If in the very unlikely event eggs were orally injested, they would not survive the internal body environment.

Anyway, hopefully the Ivermectin will help. If you have anymore topical, use it. Ivermectin does not kill eggs or immature mites and most topicals don't kill eggs. So, you may need another dose of Ivermectin. Eggs hatch every 3 to 7 days. About every 5 days.
lorak

Ireland

#23 Nov 30, 2007
thanks for the info. thing is, its hard to get those tablets. but i could always use the cream to make sure. i'm also washing my hands every chance i get to try and reduce the effects.(will that make any difference?) i'm showering twice a day too and still washing all my clothes... i've stayed out of wrk, but i take it i cant have contact with ppl, like shaking hands, kissing, etc..?
Mite Killer

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

#24 Dec 2, 2007
Hello,

Keeping very clean will help to wash away young mites that live on the surface and in hair follicles. Washing hands often and showering twice a day will certainly help. Keep some disposable hand wipes around too. Some people wear gloves to do their wash. Avoiding contact with people is advised until you think you're cured. If you can't avoid touching people or pets, wear long sleeve shirts and gloves. If you have long hair, wear it up. Sleep in very loose clothing or in the buff.

It's unfortunate Stromectol is so hard to get. Using it and a topical is the best way to kill mites. It's difficult to get an Rx in the US too. Things are changing and the medical community is starting to see the benifits of using Ivermectin to treat simple cases of scabies. In the US, since last year the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention list Stromectol(Ivermectin) and Permathrin as first-line treatments for scabies. Stromectol is actually a very safe drug for almost everyone.

Not sure what scabicide topicals or Stromectol you can have shipped to Ireland but if your physician won't prescribe, ordering from online stores is a option. Be carefull ordering from some internet stores, especially China. Some Canada sites are bogas but I ordered Lindane from Canada with no problems. Note that Lindane is considered very toxic. I've only used it to spot treat, never full body. Lindane is supposed to kill eggs so it's a good choice for treating burrows containing eggs.

I usually ask people who are having a hard time getting rid of mites if they have pets. Pets should be treated because they may be hosting the mites too. Pets may not have current visible symptoms of bumps or rashes but they may shake their heads, lick their paws or legs or scratch and as the infestation gets worse, bumps and hair loss will occur. A vet may be able to advise a topical spot-on with the ingredient Selamectin or Moxidectin. Ivermectin or Doramectin injections are also commonly used to treat animals with sarcoptic mites.
adanaturkey8385

Liberty Lake, WA

#25 Dec 2, 2007
The first time I had Scabies, I left a change of clothes in my drawer and didn't touch them for a month once I was cured and I didn't get the Scabies back. I also left one room untouched and didn't go within 5 ft of the room for a month after the treatment and I didn't get reinfected but everything else was bagged.
lorak

Ireland

#26 Dec 3, 2007
i dont have pets. and it would seem i need another dose of those tablets.. they're back!
but i think its the eggs that are the problem... the tablets are probably hitting the main bugs but as you say, the eggs are the problem.. so will look to get that stuff for killin the eggs. again, thx for the advice
Mite Killer

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

#27 Dec 3, 2007
lorak wrote:
i dont have pets. and it would seem i need another dose of those tablets.. they're back!
but i think its the eggs that are the problem... the tablets are probably hitting the main bugs but as you say, the eggs are the problem.. so will look to get that stuff for killin the eggs. again, thx for the advice
but remember, eggs hatch every few days so if Ivermectin is taken(at the correct dose) every 5 to 7 days for 4 to 6 weeks, that should stop the reproductive cycle. And if any scabicide topical(applied to full body, including face and scalp) is used in conjunction with Ivermectin, the recently hatched immature mites should be killed too. The immature mites would not live long enough to become mature and reproduce. An agressive schedule like this should kill every last mite.

But reinfestation from another host or fomite could keep scabies going for a long time.
frustrated

Salisbury, NC

#28 Dec 27, 2007
The numbers don't make sense. Most sources say that the average number of scabies on a victim is from 8 to 12 - some say a little more. Most I've read is 20.
So if the female is laying around 3-4 eggs per day, the how come the number of scabies wouldn't be in the hundreds after just a couple weeks? Do most NOT hatch? If anyone has insight into this, please let me know.
Mite Killer

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

#29 Dec 27, 2007
frustrated wrote:
The numbers don't make sense. Most sources say that the average number of scabies on a victim is from 8 to 12 - some say a little more. Most I've read is 20.
So if the female is laying around 3-4 eggs per day, the how come the number of scabies wouldn't be in the hundreds after just a couple weeks? Do most NOT hatch? If anyone has insight into this, please let me know.
That is correct, most of the eggs don't hatch. But the longer one is infested the higher the mite count.
scabiesvictim

Abbotsford, Canada

#30 Dec 27, 2007
Yea, no kidding @ frustrated. I'm not sure what's up with the numbers. Perhaps the human body manages to kill some.

I'm pretty certain I've caught scabies. I haven't seen a doctor yet, but all the signs are there --- and the permethrin makes a big difference, though they seem to come back.

I assume I'm re-catching them from carpet/bedding/something.
scabiesvictim

Abbotsford, Canada

#31 Dec 27, 2007
There really isn't enough clear information out there about what kills these bastards.

I'm going to put everything through the dryer until it's cooking.
scabiesvictim

Abbotsford, Canada

#32 Dec 27, 2007
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2047.htm

That says "10-15" *females* active on the average scabies victim.

Maybe males are less common.
scabiesvictim

Abbotsford, Canada

#33 Dec 27, 2007
Er, more common :)
Scabies3

Hollywood, FL

#34 Dec 27, 2007
scabiesvictim wrote:
There really isn't enough clear information out there about what kills these bastards.
I'm going to put everything through the dryer until it's cooking.
Boiling your clothes and covers works good. I bought a 21 quart pot from Walmart.
zooks

Orlando, FL

#35 Dec 27, 2007
I like to bake our clothes. 250F for 20 minutes making sure no fabric touches the side back or door of oven. I have been baking our sheets/clothes/towels/shoes for about 3 weeks now, as our mites were getting through the borax/bleach washes, and hour long drying.
Although this is some what risky, the heat is low enough that nothing has been damaged.
It is obviously safer to boil things. And most people wont even need these extremes.
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#36 Dec 27, 2007
frustrated wrote:
There have been more recent studies, links were posted here somewhere, that those mite numbers are way off, and are usually in the hundreds or even thousands, as you mentioned.
jim

Westmoreland, TN

#37 Jan 5, 2008
I used a standing (as opposed to a small hand-held) clothes steamer on my bed and bedding with great results. Just crank it up and very,very,very slowly go over the entire bed. You can do this with the sheets and blankets still n the bed if you take you time with the steaming. Feel the mattress and see if you are spending enough time in the process.If the mattress is extremely hot,then you are doing the job effectively.You can also steam your clothing.These bugs ain't gonna live through steam. Just take your time about steaming.Additionally,there is a product,Diatomacious Earth,that will take care of the carpets,etc. They actually feed this stuff to cattle out west to rid them of parasites,etc.Very user-friendly.Kills the eggs,too.............
itchy and scratchy

San Antonio, TX

#38 Mar 27, 2008
Me and my wife are going insane. She has to call in tomorrow and say she's sick, "What, you think she's going to tell them she has scabies?!"
I am very frustrated and need help. This medicine junk isn't cheap either. This stinks!
So long infested people
Itchy and scratchy
liz

Dallas, TX

#39 Mar 30, 2008
itchy and scratchy wrote:
Me and my wife are going insane. She has to call in tomorrow and say she's sick, "What, you think she's going to tell them she has scabies?!"
I am very frustrated and need help. This medicine junk isn't cheap either. This stinks!
So long infested people
Itchy and scratchy
i currently have it
use rubbing alcohol it works don't use around face or directly on genital area though and you can spray the alcohol on your furniture/bedding/clothes and the fumes will kill them
caroline

Boston, MA

#40 Apr 17, 2008
yeah i have scabies and i got the permetherine cream 5% and im still itchy. and i've been seeing new bumps. i cleaned everything i own but me and my bf are both infected, we were both treated but i feel like we keep infecting eachother! AHHH. how long is is going to itch for? i keep just reapplying the cream and throwing every peice of new clean chlothing i wear in the laundry. i want to just put on the cream and go on a trip! so when i come back all the bastards will be dead!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies on eyelids,face,ears,scalp 1 hr Tucson girl 20
Bird Mites (Jul '07) 1 hr caribbean bugs 49
War Paint insecticidal Paste 7% permetherin 21%... 5 hr Tucson girl 8
Has anyone with Scabies had High Carbon Dioxide... 5 hr Tucson girl 2
100% true cure for scabies/ dont waste money a... (Jan '14) 22 hr Nim 15
Scabies won't go away (Aug '06) 23 hr jeroni 1,188
Scabies cured (Dec '08) Sat jeroni 82
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Sep 11 andrew2485 4,117
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Scabies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••