Joe

Hollywood, FL

#229 Jul 31, 2010
No, No, No, No, No..... Insist on a scraping or a biopsy of one of your most infested areas. Do not let him scrape on an area which you have already dug and removed most contents. Just be vigilant about the whole process and explain to him that you have a full time job, with responsibilities and this is effecting your livelihood, etc. No time to be taking trips to the derm, when they don't want to do cultures, etc. My derm did a biopsy and, at the same time, prescribed permethrin with 3 REFILLS. Also, Netherlands here always suggests that they do culture testing, etc. You may want to read his thread called Case Report. I think he is a microbiologist or studying to be one, anyway. Your main goal is to have this taken care of in the shortest period of time, because, if it is scabies, it will spread and then you will be in a mess. For most people on this forum the doctors were not so helpful, and after many visits, the docs start thinking you are delusional of parasites. That's the worse diagnosis for people who are suffering with this mess.
This is why you should start reading some of the threads on this forum. Knowledge is power. Pay speacial attention to your bedding, just in case, you may be shedding mites on your bed when sleeping, and then starts the cycle of reinfestation.
Doctors and people alike always try to take the path of least resistance. True with doctors, as there are costs involved in scrapings and cutures, etc. And they try to keep these costs down, especially with scabies. You sound like you may be a candidate who will beat this with a few applicatoins of permethrin.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#230 Jul 31, 2010
Heliogames wrote:
I'm 42. I have my doubts about having scabies as (a) no itch whatsoever and (b) only my abdomen area is affected. As of today I counted 35 digs.
I will see another dermatologist on Monday as the one I saw didn't even want to touch me. I was expecting him to dig one and inspect it to confirm but he didn't. He also mentioned if I don't get better using Permethrin, then it must be bedbugs.
bedbugs, schmedbugs. how does he know? One of my derms said it must be fleas. Oh sure, like I don't know what a flea looks like. It's quite visible. It's droppings are quite visible on sheets, bedding. Give me a break.
Heliogames

Washington, DC

#231 Jul 31, 2010
Thanks Joe. I really appreciate your advice. It's the weekend and I needed to talk to someone about what I'm going through and you've been an amazing help. Hope you have a great weekend.

By the way, my dermatologist prescribed Permethrin; only one which I already used and he asked me to use Permethrin a week later (i.e., only twice over 1o days). I will see another dermatologist on Monday.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#232 Jul 31, 2010
you are welcome. please come back and let us know. take care.
renee

Hamilton, New Zealand

#233 Nov 16, 2010
fvfv
renee

Hamilton, New Zealand

#234 Nov 16, 2010
has anyone tryed borer bombing(fumigating) there houses and treating there bodys at same time (we plan on sleeping in a tent outside for a few days, its been 6 weeks and we keep getting them back after doing all the hotwashing vacuming wiping ect.. im gutted to see that this is such a big problem worldwide and my doc is the same as the rest keeps sending me away in tears, my son is 4 yrs old and its driving me up the wall never thought i would go through this from scabies! were from new zealand anyone else from nz with this prob?
more itchies

United States

#235 Nov 28, 2010
my dad uses lysol spray is this helping? he says it is but he has had it over a month now.
Mel

Sydney, Australia

#236 Nov 29, 2010
I hate scabies. I am from Sydney Australia and these little buggers have ruined my life for over 4 months now. Let alone cost us a fortune. My daughter was misdiagnosed for nearly 3 months. My husband and i started itching and i took us all to the doctors and finally got diagnosed with scabies. What a nightmare, we have treated 4 times the first 2 times the cream we were given wasn't effective enough and the second 2 times we used Lyclear.We have torn our house to pieces and washed/steamcleaned everything. I also got the house fumigated and bombed the cars with Flea bombs as they contain permethrin. If it's not enough to do all this i am still so itchy which from all forums i have been reading this is Post scabies itch..I really hope it is...don't think i could handle being infested again.

Hope all that have been through this are now clear and on road to recovery :)
Eric

Richland, WA

#237 Dec 19, 2010
Janine wrote:
my friend got a new puppy, little did we know he had mange (mites) which we cought scabies from...I had it perrty bad, but when i went to the doctors i got Permethrin Cream 5%and used it twice, and they were gone. My bumps and itching had vanished. Now its a week later, and over night, i recived the itching and the bumps again 10x's worse !!!! My body is loaded with irritation. I went to another doctor and he told me i had an "alergic reaction"...I dont no if this is scabies coming back, or what. When the bumps and itching came back, i loaded my body with the cream again about 3 times, and it seemed to make it worse. Any ideas ?!?!
Oh yeah and tomorrow is my Sr.Prom =( this is a tottal nightmare and i need help despratley
you're probably having a BAD reaction to the drugs since you are self-medicating without a doctors orders, the drug CLEARLY states 1 application only and reapplying will cause severe skin irritation
cured

Huntington, WV

#238 Dec 20, 2010
ive had scabies before, and i just developed a new case. i used permethrin the first time and it worked eventually(after numerous treatments) but left me itchy and burning for weeks, and honestly i hate the idea of putting chemicals on my body. ive been using a mix or oregon grape root and goldenseal root to kill the scabies and soothe my skin. as of now im healing up quicker than i thought possible and am scabies free.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#239 Dec 20, 2010
Its been like 6weeks!!
I did lindane 1% and perm 5% with 6days gap.I also took ivermectin after 2 days of lindane,2 weeks apart.
On day 2 after perm,I got severe itching on my neck and upper back,mostly. Saw some new rashes on my back and some on chest. Applied perm on my entire back and chest and neck. Next day onwards it has gradually decreased and till date no itching at all. I still do have tingling and crawling sensations.I get random itches,but at one point in my neck I always itch.Though there are no lesions at all there.
I am also still getting tiny red spots(not like pimples) here and there on my skin.
I had itchy scalp as well,which I treated with neem oil everyday for 3 days,followed by neem and camphor based shampoo.Itching almost stopped, the next day of applying neem oil.But,these days I am applying some wrightia oil over my scalp(as my derm prescribed) and taking anti-fungals.I still have tiny red pimply dots and some nodules like on my armpits and chest.

Its been about 10 days since my last treatment.

I am confused if I am really cured or still infested??
I still get those crawling and tingling sensations!!

Some more info:
*I handwashed all my daily-wear clothes in hot water,with lots of soap plus benzalkonium chloride.
*I put other clothes in a plastic garbage bag for about 5 days and then hand-washed them.
*I do general cleaning of everything using benzalkonium chloride.
*I change my sheets every day.
*My roommates didn't do perm,because they were skeptic about this in the first place.
*I am an extremely clean guy,wash hands often and bath atleast twice a day!!
mite-transfer

Sacramento, CA

#240 Jan 4, 2011
I am in great need of help. I'm taking my dog to the vet in a few hours due to me and my family recently developing scabies...it spread like wildfire but only after we adopted our dog. He was without a home for over a month, we've only had him for a little over a month now. After doing research it shows that sarcoptic (scabies mite) can transfer between mammals (human and dog in my case). Since this is very contagious, and I'm fairly certain it was spread by my dog, I wanted to know what are the difference between what the dog has over what human has? I see that you can have redness, bumps, and itchiness, but how do you know if the dog has the human form? If the dog is treated will the family itch go away, or is regular human scabies treatment needed? I'm just to confused on where the mites are at this point other than the obvious places (couch, bed, etc)...I appreciate all help.
Aaron

Hollywood, FL

#241 Jan 4, 2011
mite-transfer wrote:
I am in great need of help. I'm taking my dog to the vet in a few hours due to me and my family recently developing scabies...it spread like wildfire but only after we adopted our dog. He was without a home for over a month, we've only had him for a little over a month now. After doing research it shows that sarcoptic (scabies mite) can transfer between mammals (human and dog in my case). Since this is very contagious, and I'm fairly certain it was spread by my dog, I wanted to know what are the difference between what the dog has over what human has? I see that you can have redness, bumps, and itchiness, but how do you know if the dog has the human form? If the dog is treated will the family itch go away, or is regular human scabies treatment needed? I'm just to confused on where the mites are at this point other than the obvious places (couch, bed, etc)...I appreciate all help.
You caught this from your dog. So, you have canine scabies. You will have to treat the family, just as the dog is being treated. The main difference between canine scabies and human scabies is that canine scabies last longer in the environment and they show up differently on the skin, showing pin-prick bites instead of classic s shaped burrows, etc. The mites will be spread by both your dog and yourself. Will show up in kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, computer area, etc.
mite-transfer

Sacramento, CA

#242 Jan 4, 2011
Just got back from the vet, they state my dog does not have sarcoptic (scabies). Thankfully, but the only bad thing is I don't know who/what the source of the issue was. I'm now sitting at home perplexed on how to move forward with killing these mites. Currently my entire family is showing symptoms, but I'm the only one that has been diagnosed from an actual doctor.

I've honestly done countless hours of research and have already done one cycle of Permethrin (about med: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0... ), still itching like a mad-man. From my understanding individuals need to go through several cycles of the cream to eliminate the parasite, but regarding other methods would be recommend for fast treatment? I'd rather not spread this to anyone else...I feel so horrible that I put this upon my family. Measures taken: washing all clothing in hot water and place them in plastic bags, applied clorox disinfectant on couch, taking constant hot showers, not wearing the same clothing more than once, took my newly adopted dog to the vet, informed anyone I've been in contact with that I have scabies.

My understanding is that scabies can only live off the host for 72 hours, anything longer than that in regular home temperature they will die due to lack of food (blood) while eggs will also not hatch. Articles state that by eating less sugar and more garlic it will help repel the mite, but not actually kill it. This can be paired with GoldBond Extra Strength Body Lotion to assist with the volatile itching. I'm attempting to veer away from the antihistamine since I've been passing and my productivity has decreased immensely.

My big questions are, how much will proper treatment for scabies cost me? Do I really need to purchase a steamer to clean my furniture, as well as vinyl coverings for my bed and pillows? What household cleaners can I use to nuke the pest (I read that they have Permethrin spray at pet stores as well as DeFlea area spray, and spray nix)? Is it honestly necessary to wash all of your clothing since I wont be wearing all within a 72 hour period? And finally is the dermisil ( http://www.dermisil.com/ ) natural treatment really going to work? Is that a better alternative to buying Permethrin cream?
Done That

UK

#243 Jan 4, 2011
TROLL ALERT

TROLL ALERT

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.
Aaron

Hollywood, FL

#244 Jan 4, 2011
mite-transfer wrote:
Just got back from the vet, they state my dog does not have sarcoptic (scabies). Thankfully, but the only bad thing is I don't know who/what the source of the issue was. I'm now sitting at home perplexed on how to move forward with killing these mites. Currently my entire family is showing symptoms, but I'm the only one that has been diagnosed from an actual doctor.
I've honestly done countless hours of research and have already done one cycle of Permethrin (about med: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0... ), still itching like a mad-man. From my understanding individuals need to go through several cycles of the cream to eliminate the parasite, but regarding other methods would be recommend for fast treatment? I'd rather not spread this to anyone else...I feel so horrible that I put this upon my family. Measures taken: washing all clothing in hot water and place them in plastic bags, applied clorox disinfectant on couch, taking constant hot showers, not wearing the same clothing more than once, took my newly adopted dog to the vet, informed anyone I've been in contact with that I have scabies.
My understanding is that scabies can only live off the host for 72 hours, anything longer than that in regular home temperature they will die due to lack of food (blood) while eggs will also not hatch. Articles state that by eating less sugar and more garlic it will help repel the mite, but not actually kill it. This can be paired with GoldBond Extra Strength Body Lotion to assist with the volatile itching. I'm attempting to veer away from the antihistamine since I've been passing and my productivity has decreased immensely.
My big questions are, how much will proper treatment for scabies cost me? Do I really need to purchase a steamer to clean my furniture, as well as vinyl coverings for my bed and pillows? What household cleaners can I use to nuke the pest (I read that they have Permethrin spray at pet stores as well as DeFlea area spray, and spray nix)? Is it honestly necessary to wash all of your clothing since I wont be wearing all within a 72 hour period? And finally is the dermisil ( http://www.dermisil.com/ ) natural treatment really going to work? Is that a better alternative to buying Permethrin cream?
Fe Fi Fo Fum. I smell the TROLL of the Jeannie variety. Be she alive or be she dead, I'll crush her bones for my bread.
Aaron

Hollywood, FL

#245 Jan 4, 2011
If you guys are falling for Jeannie's bullshit, ALL OF YOU ARE

C

L

U

E

L

E

S

S
Jerk Alert

United States

#246 Jan 4, 2011
Done That wrote:
TROLL ALERT
TROLL ALERT
The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.
Grow up.
Aaron

Hollywood, FL

#247 Jan 4, 2011
Jerk Alert wrote:
<quoted text>Grow up.
Fe Fi Fo Fum. I smell the Troll of a Jeannie Variety. Be she alive or be she dead, I'll grind her bones for my bread.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#248 Jan 4, 2011
This is all getting a bit ridiculous.
Could the name-calling stop please.
Most people are adult enough to come
to their own conclusions about which
info is relevant to them , least I presume
so but as this is the net , one can never
know one way or the other for certain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 2 hr bjmmaynard 4,290
Collembola/Springtails (Jan '13) 6 hr marylandscabies 546
Apple Cider Vinegar (Jul '12) 8 hr essential oils 23
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) 17 hr BugOut 475
Biting sensation, crawling, thin scratch lines Sat riverliver 4
is possible to have scabies in your mouth? (Mar '12) Sat bronwen1234 15
bleach bath recommended by dermatologist (Aug '07) Fri scratcher 610
More from around the web