Scabies/Eggs lifespan? and a question about premethrin...

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Since: Apr 07

new york city

#1 Apr 21, 2007
how long can scabies and the scabie babies still in their eggs live without human contact? if i just threw all of my clothes into my closet, and didn't touch them for x amount of days, would that work? or do things really need to be kept in airtight bags?

also... i know that a side affect of premethrin is itchiness, but how long is that suppost to last? I used premethrin 5 last friday, and i'm still itchy. Is it because of the premethrin, because i'm still infested, or because although the scabies may be dead, i'm still have an allergic reaction?

annnd one more thing-- is there anything i can do to prevent scabies? once i am cured, is there any product i can use to prevent them?(other than, of course, making sure anyone i come in contact with does not have any signs of scabies)

I hope everyone is doing well!!!

Since: Apr 07

new york city

#2 Apr 22, 2007
and an other question--- is premethrin safe to use on your face? I was told by my doctor not to, but it seems like some people on this forum recommend it?
hopeful

San Pablo, CA

#3 Apr 22, 2007
Hi Itchy,

I used the Permethrin 5% on my face and scalp without any problems. The best informed MD I saw endorsed that.

Itchiness after treatment is considered normal. Personally I had to add Ivermectin to my treatment schedule in order to get to where I am now-- clearing up a few recent bites I suspect came from a carpeted environment.

As for laundry, I've been extra cautious and I do isolate worn clothes in plastic bags before laundering. I use either borax or Benzy Benzoate as a laundry additive. The BB I've found to be especially helpful for dark clothing. Making sure clothes get bone dry seems to be critical-- depending on your type of dryer-- I've been drying things for at least an hour avoiding overloading the dryer. Sometimes I iron things afterwards as an extra measure. I really watch the laundry technique since I may have been reinfected by clothing early on.

Good LUck!
Mite Killing Machine

United States

#4 Apr 22, 2007
itchynscratchysh0w wrote:
how long can scabies and the scabie babies still in their eggs live without human contact? if i just threw all of my clothes into my closet, and didn't touch them for x amount of days, would that work? or do things really need to be kept in airtight bags?
also... i know that a side affect of premethrin is itchiness, but how long is that suppost to last? I used premethrin 5 last friday, and i'm still itchy. Is it because of the premethrin, because i'm still infested, or because although the scabies may be dead, i'm still have an allergic reaction?
annnd one more thing-- is there anything i can do to prevent scabies? once i am cured, is there any product i can use to prevent them?(other than, of course, making sure anyone i come in contact with does not have any signs of scabies)
I hope everyone is doing well!!!
It's unlikely eggs are off a host since they are laid in burrows in the skin. If they are scratched off they may hatch in 3-5 days depending on when they were laid. If newborn mites don't find a host quickly they become feeble and die.

I think reasoning for the airtight bag is to keep mites in the bag, they are very active creatures. Mites need to breath but it seems there would be plenty of air inside the bag to keep them going for a few weeks. Plan on them suviving for 3 weeks off a host, just to be on the safe side.

Now that we have had or have scabies there is the great fear of getting them again once we are cured.

There is no way to prevent scabies. But there are some preventitive measures.

Wash your hands frequently and use handy wipes with alcohol or baby wipes to keep your hands and wrists clean.

Taking frequent showers and baths may remove mites before they have a chance to dig into your skin.

Keep all your clothing and bedding clean. always wash or dry clean new cloths before you wear them. Shower after trying on clothing at a store.
Mite Killing Machine

United States

#5 Apr 22, 2007
oh, and don't shake hands or hug itchy human or animal strangers.
Flourescent Mites

Raleigh, NC

#6 May 2, 2007
I caught mighty mites back in 1989 and didnt know what hit me.Scratching just spreads it and I didnt know...I was using my hairbrush to scratch myself real good and I had them everywhere.I had to use Lindane shampoo and lotion and spray my furniture and carpet with it to and wash curtains....basically everything.
It was a job.
My question is...since I have them again....will going to the tanning bed kill them little beasts? HELP
Been There

Escondido, CA

#7 May 2, 2007
Flourescent Mites wrote:
I caught mighty mites back in 1989 and didnt know what hit me.Scratching just spreads it and I didnt know...I was using my hairbrush to scratch myself real good and I had them everywhere.I had to use Lindane shampoo and lotion and spray my furniture and carpet with it to and wash curtains....basically everything.
It was a job.

My question is...since I have them again....will going to the tanning bed kill them little beasts? HELP
NO, tanning beds do not kill sarcoptic mites.

The Lindane days are mostly gone. Permethrin 5% is the first line of treatment in the US. Unfortunatly, many of the posters on these forums are finding scabies very difficult to cure.

Get in to see a MD and get prescriptions for as many treatments of Permethrin 5% and oral Stromectol as possible. Enough to see you through a month, minimum. any pets? they need to be treated too. close contacts live-ins? best everyone gets treated. check the other forums for resources on ordering and treatments.

Remember all the cleaning you did back in 89. Repeat that and double it. same goes for your body and hair, keep em squeeky clean.
Janine

Scarsdale, NY

#8 Jun 20, 2007
my friend got a new puppy, little did we know he had mange (mites) which we cought scabies from...I had it perrty bad, but when i went to the doctors i got Permethrin Cream 5%and used it twice, and they were gone. My bumps and itching had vanished. Now its a week later, and over night, i recived the itching and the bumps again 10x's worse !!!! My body is loaded with irritation. I went to another doctor and he told me i had an "alergic reaction"...I dont no if this is scabies coming back, or what. When the bumps and itching came back, i loaded my body with the cream again about 3 times, and it seemed to make it worse. Any ideas ?!?!

Oh yeah and tomorrow is my Sr.Prom =( this is a tottal nightmare and i need help despratley
Janine

Scarsdale, NY

#9 Jun 20, 2007
oh yeah and does anyone have ANYTHING they know to kill the eggs ?!?!?

Since: Jun 07

Uniontown, PA

#10 Jun 20, 2007
Janine wrote:
oh yeah and does anyone have ANYTHING they know to kill the eggs ?!?!?
I am researching that very subject right now. There are conflicting opinions to say the least. My main concern was that the topical Permethrin treatment every seven days was allowing for the hatching and laying of new eggs. Right now I am treating with both Permethrin and Ivermectin, but I have not found conclusive proof that either destroys the eggs.

More as I find out... good luck, Janine. Stay positive and you will get through this. We are all here to help and know exactly what you are going through.
anonymous

La Grange, IL

#11 Aug 21, 2007
ok well i wanted to know if i put the permethrin cream,,to get rid of those lil beast,,can i still clean while it is on they won't spread on the clothes i fold and that do they pla answer back..
2ScratchOrNot2Sc ratch

Sanford, NC

#12 Aug 22, 2007
Yes. Clean. Clean and then clean some more.
cami

Pinellas Park, FL

#13 Sep 25, 2007
just a little preface: after being monogamous for 8 years & breaking off that relationship, i decided to finally "have fun" in my 30th year of age. well, when i finally went to the doctor to fnd out what the hell was wrong with me & became diagnosed...i freaked. i cannot live knowing that there are things on me laying eggs under my skin. i thought i'd be proactive and try to dig out the eggs, and now i have horrible scrapes all over my body. has anyone done this before? how else are they supposed to come out?? this is completely intolerable-

Since: Mar 07

AOL

#14 Sep 25, 2007
cami wrote:
just a little preface: after being monogamous for 8 years & breaking off that relationship, i decided to finally "have fun" in my 30th year of age. well, when i finally went to the doctor to fnd out what the hell was wrong with me & became diagnosed...i freaked. i cannot live knowing that there are things on me laying eggs under my skin. i thought i'd be proactive and try to dig out the eggs, and now i have horrible scrapes all over my body. has anyone done this before? how else are they supposed to come out?? this is completely intolerable-
Cami, Please go see a dermotogist. There are several different medications they can prescribe to get rid of this. You are a beautiful woman. Try not to dig out the eggs, you could get a bad staph infection. Keep us posted & lets us know how you are doing. It is by sharing that the burden gets lighter. Best of luck to you, MIS
cami

Pinellas Park, FL

#15 Sep 25, 2007
so do these (gulp) eggs & burrows & feces...omg.
do these just go away after the mites are killed? How?? Oh, BTW- i have been to the 2 best dermatologists in town and was mis diagnosed on several occasions when nothing was working. i finally went to a gen practitioner b/c i just knew they were both wrong. My Dr. diagnosed me & i finally felt like that is was def scabies. he gave me that permethrin. i've used it 2 times now. i still feel like they are alive. yeck.sadly, i feel a little better after scraping the burrows out with a razor blade. i know this isn't good, but i can't handle this.
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#16 Sep 26, 2007
cami wrote:
do these just go away after the mites are killed? How?? Oh, BTW- i have been to the 2 best dermatologists in town and was mis diagnosed on several occasions when nothing was working. i finally went to a gen practitioner b/c i just knew they were both wrong. My Dr. diagnosed me & i finally felt like that is was def scabies. he gave me that permethrin. i've used it 2 times now. i still feel like they are alive. yeck.sadly, i feel a little better after scraping the burrows out with a razor blade. i know this isn't good, but i can't handle this.
Hey Cami. Try to get the doctor to prescribe ivermectin. Ivermectin to be taken orally and permethrin to be applied topically should get you on the way to recovery. From my experience, very few people get cured by just using permethrin cream, but, there have been a few on this board who were cured by using permethrin alone, but not many. Wash your bedclothes in hot hot water. Check out the other threads here for cleaning and meds, and information on how people have been cured.
Mary

Hollywood, FL

#17 Sep 26, 2007
cami wrote:
The eggs do not just go away. The meds do not kill the eggs. They hatch out and carry on. This is why you need several applications of meds, about 7 days apart, to take care of egg hatching. And you have to try to keep everything clean, so you don't get reinfested, as the mites can live in the environment for a few days, track you down, crawl back on you, and start all over again, on you. Alot of us on here pick at our nodules and burrows. Our ability to do this, can keep the numbers down a little, but can cause infection, too. I just read an article the other day, that an adult female can lay up to 60-90 eggs in her lifetime. That's a lot of eggs.
solcon

Newport, RI

#18 Oct 12, 2007
what is the best solution to use to clean furniture and household?
solcon

Newport, RI

#19 Oct 12, 2007
what is thye best solution to use on my furniture and household?
itchy

Peabody, MA

#20 Nov 23, 2007
i have gone to 4 drs. they all say i have eczema,they gave me loads of creams,rash is gone but i feel like i have the worst sun burn is this common with scabies or do i have eczema my skin is so dry and itchy it is on the outside of my thigh and the middle of my back

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post scabies 19 min SRE 5
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 46 min SRE 4,121
Scabies Patient Released? 50 min SRE 6
Permethrin Works, Helps and Hurts - my scabies ... (Jan '10) 53 min SRE 279
Scabies on eyelids,face,ears,scalp 58 min SRE 24
How did your scabies start? 1 hr SRE 6
100% true cure for scabies/ dont waste money a... (Jan '14) 1 hr SRE 23
•••

Scabies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE