is the gym filled with scabies?

is the gym filled with scabies?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Itching in Idaho

United States

#1 Jun 7, 2009
I am still trying to figure out where I got these scabies. I am thinking the gym, does anyone think the gym is dirty and I could have picked it up from an exercise machine? I want to buy a treadmill for my house. Also, can you get it from the checkout line at the store signing things with there pens?
MR AL

Olympia, WA

#2 Jun 7, 2009
Itching in Idaho wrote:
I am still trying to figure out where I got these scabies. I am thinking the gym, does anyone think the gym is dirty and I could have picked it up from an exercise machine? I want to buy a treadmill for my house. Also, can you get it from the checkout line at the store signing things with there pens?
Most likely you got it from constant touching of someone or something. You have to have prolonged exposure.. All actually it does not matter where you got it from as you are wasting precious time. I would worry more about getting rid of them. This is very hard to get rid of.
Itching in Idaho

United States

#3 Jun 7, 2009
I have not constantly touched someone. I am a stay at home mom and just go to the gym and the store. I am a homebody mostly. Don't you think it is possible to get it from the checkout line or the gym using those machines. I mean after all I have had this 2 times before this time, obviously they like my skin and find it very easy to get on it.
itchygirl

Youngstown, OH

#4 Jun 8, 2009
Itching, Does your child have it??? They pick it up very easily from other children. They touch, wrestle, hold hands, etc. I got it from my 6yo son.
boudu

Hallam, Australia

#6 Jul 22, 2009
I am also someone who stays at home and never touches other people.I am positive I contracted scabies from the gym as i only joined recently . I think the scabies mite must have been in the carpet or on a mat in the gym. I am never lying on the floor of the gym again nor am i going to use the sauna..in fact i regret joining in the first place
Susan

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jul 31, 2009
Itching in Idaho wrote:
I just got diagnosed with Scabies. I thought my ex-boyfriend gave it to me because it's usually transmitted as an STD. But after seeing my doctor, he told me that you can get it from the exercise equipment at the gym and that's how I probably got it. I workout at the gym between 3 to 4 times a week. It takes only minutes to contract the nasty mites. I am so grossed out. I am quitting my local gym and going back to home workouts. Get treatment right away. And you may still itch after treatment is done, it's the dead mites that cause itching. I got scabies on my head as well. I am so upset, my boyfriend will have to get treated as well. And I don't know about getting scabies from a pen. I don't think you can get them that way. Mites need a live host in order to survive. Be sure to use a hot iron on your mattress and pillows and wash clothes and bedding in hot water, dry clean the rest. Also, mites die in 3 days without a live host to live on (you).
worried about scabies

United States

#8 Dec 18, 2010
Well i recently had relations with someone i later found out had scabies. i saw his prescription for a scabies medication after the relations. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Amy

Beckley, WV

#9 Dec 18, 2010
Go to the doctor and tell them you have been in contact with someone that has scabies and that you know this for a fact. The sooner you treat the better. Sexual contact and close skin to skin contact are the most ways they are transmitted. Theirs other ways too but them ways make your chancer alot higher.
dave

Wesley Chapel, FL

#10 May 24, 2011
i will start by saying i am a clean freak , i showed up with scabies after going to a fitness center for 1.5 yrs. i am 68 and retired there is no where else i could have got them . if you think you have scabies make your dr. do SKIN SCPAPPINGS and look at them under a microscope , if he wont or can not . REFUSE TO PAY FOR OFFICE CALL ! go to another dr. who will . scabies can be seen at 30x . if the drs. wont do it do it yourself.
Judith

UK

#11 May 24, 2011
dave wrote:
i will start by saying i am a clean freak , i showed up with scabies after going to a fitness center for 1.5 yrs. i am 68 and retired there is no where else i could have got them . if you think you have scabies make your dr. do SKIN SCPAPPINGS and look at them under a microscope , if he wont or can not . REFUSE TO PAY FOR OFFICE CALL ! go to another dr. who will . scabies can be seen at 30x . if the drs. wont do it do it yourself.
I like your attitude. Try a 60x pocket scope. You will see them better. 30x doesn't cut it.

P.S. The poster Amy above your post is our Jeannie Troll, pretending to be a country hick. Good Job Jeannie Freak On.
Ash

Moline, IL

#12 Nov 10, 2011
I am having this problem right now... I keep getting a rash after going to the gym. I thought I was allergic to the cleaners, but this time it's very itchy and spreading like wildfire! So frustrating :(
Dee

Moncton, Canada

#14 Jan 7, 2012
I think an article for a major newspaper or magazine should be written about this. It makes sense to me that the scabies which I recently contracted occurred at the gym. I can think of only two places I got it - the gym or a hotel I stopped in for one night. Otherwise NO intimate body contact except for my partner, and my partner showed no signs of them (though he, too, has been treated preventively).

For one thing, they should STOP ALLOWING SHARED LOCKERS at the gym. You should have to rent one that is yours alone for the duration of your membership.

But then there are the mats - ugh! I can't imagine lying down on one of those mats again, after what I have been through over the past two weeks.

In any case, if scabies IS being transmitted at gyms, there should be a good, easily accessed article about this which pushes gyms to institute better preventive measures.
Ron

Pomona, CA

#15 Jan 24, 2012
I got scabies 1.5 years ago from sexual contact with an overly promiscuous friend... Learned my lesson there (and I'm familiar with the itch and treatment from that experience). Yet since Christmas, I have treated myself for scabies TWICE and I'm writing this while still feeling the pinpricks. I've been woken up twice in 2 days now... I think it's from my local gym as well. Second outbreak started the day after I went to the gym... and appeared on my hands.
Years ago, this was easy to get rid of. Yet this time, I'm going to need a 3rd treatment, or so it seems. Scabies is an epidemic in LA; I'm now convinced.
This is incredibly frustrating; I guess I'll give the gym an anonymous call to report this.
faisal shah

UK

#16 Sep 4, 2012
i got sabies from the gym people mite be thinking its healthy to go there etc . Were is all that sweat going on the mats? Machines etc so u have to be careful and take some think to clean it. I got bad rash and it hurts badly i hope no whan goes thro this pain i went trou.. Best place is home or park. Gym is not good place coes alot of germs are spread .

Since: Aug 12

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Sep 5, 2012
I am certain I got mine from the gym I was going to, specifically because I was using the communal mats. What a dumb thing to do! If I had known, the first class I took there, that we'd be using mats, I would have brought my own. They kind of smelled and I remembered thinking twice, "Should I do this?"

All it would take is someone else who had scabies to have been sweating on the mat before I used it.

I started going there in June and my rash started early August, so who knows exactly which time I got it, or if I reinfected myself multiple times.

I had been with my sexual partner a week before I showed symptoms, and he decided not to do a treatment, and he's been fine before and after (I've had this for 5 weeks now). He had not had another partner for a year so I know I did not get it from him.

I got the Y to cancel my membership, but I'm still waiting to talk to someone there about getting a refund for at least one month--I have spent at least $500 treating this so far, and on disability, very low income-- and I want them to do something about this-- really vulnerable people use the Y, this is not just for my sake, but so people don't keep spreading it and picking it up there! They don't even have disinfection wipes available.

I am afraid to join a gym again. Will have to find a way to motivate myself to work out and home and keep riding my bike when weather permits.

Sucks when you were trying to do something good for yourself, exercise, and you catch this disgusting thing.
Tammy

Kankakee, IL

#18 Sep 13, 2012
I believe I got scabies from my gym also. I broke out on my arms and two on my shoulder. I thought I had shingles. I caught it from a mat or the floor. What a dumb thing to do. Or, the gym just put in a "hydro-massage" and 2 days later after I tried it I broke out in a rash. Either way, I'll never use a mat or that stupid massage machine. I'm going to figure out how to use the machines without getting the plague. Wish me luck
know your pain

United States

#19 Mar 11, 2013
I have had it recently... It can take up to 3 months for the symptoms to show up! And even after the treatment, it can take up to 6 months for the itching to go away! It's the residual effects because of the dying mite and eggs in the skin. I have treated myself 4 times in a one month span because the itching wouldn't go away. My dermatologistsaid that it wasn't helping being over exposed to the toxins in the treatment as it was killing my skin! Be careful with the treatment! Just make sure to wash everything! I sterilized my house.
Ramon Reyes

San Diego, CA

#20 Apr 5, 2013
Itching in Idaho wrote:
I have not constantly touched someone. I am a stay at home mom and just go to the gym and the store. I am a homebody mostly. Don't you think it is possible to get it from the checkout line or the gym using those machines. I mean after all I have had this 2 times before this time, obviously they like my skin and find it very easy to get on it.
I too recently got scabies. I don't have prolonged contact with anyone, I sleep in my own bed, and I don't share clothes. I too thought I could have gotten it from the gym. Gyms are usually only cleaned at the end of the day, but I don't think its enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why We Can't See Them & Why We Can't Get An I.D... 1 hr Flossyfaerie 1
bird mites in australia!! 1 hr Flossyfaerie 3
Albendazole works 1 hr Flossyfaerie 10
Do you get new bumps after post-scabies? (Sep '11) 7 hr I hate scabies 245
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 8 hr Bryan b 4,507
dead sea salt (Feb '12) 8 hr deniseg 24
tetmosol soap... (Sep '07) 13 hr Nara 96
More from around the web