My 4 year scabies story, need help fr...

My 4 year scabies story, need help from scabies survivors [pictures]

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Fresh Bytez

Dublin, Ireland

#1 May 17, 2011
I have been living with scabies for about 4 years now. I have seen 6 different doctors and only after paying 200 euros to a new dermatologist was I told that I had crusted scabies.
I started getting a mysterious and itchy eczema that started suddenly after I moved to a new country. He said that all the cortisone creams prescribed by the doctors made things much worse. For once I STOPPED using all the cortisone and the xyzall before I went to see this dermatologist so he could see my eczema at its worst.
I have gone through at least 10 tubes of permethrin cream (that stuff is useless), tried benzyl benzoate (torture!), bought sulfur on ebay and mixed my own cream (just did not work), sulphur soap is good tho. My low point was taking a bleach bath (for the love of god don't take a bleach bath!) I got 10 kilos of borax and I am surprised my clothes washer has not caught fire from overuse!
Bought a plastic mattress which is an absolute necessity. I put garbage bags on my chairs and I shake them off every few hours.
Finally I went to a new doctor and begged him to give me stromectol (ivermectin). This stuff is amazing! I only saw a new line under my skin 5 days after my first treatment and then I took the second. I went to a second doctor and got two more rounds. I just took my third round of it and I will be taking my fourth next week.
POST SCABIES! I know I am highly allergic to dust mites because I had an allergy test done for my eczema and since they are in the same family I am sure that is why I am literally covered in sores.
Where I am forced to itch the skin simply peels away and the sore bleeds and then weeps an amber fluid for the rest of the day. It started with my legs and is how on my arms. It literally feels like I am digging something out of me. I have been forced to take an extended time off of work because I have sores on my hands and arms. I do not believe that this has been caused by over showering or by the creams I have tried. I have four years of debris coming out of me and the itching is unbearable.
Now it has been 4 months since I started permethrin and 1 month since my last dose of ivermectin. Would someone please let me know if these pics are post scabies or if they are are an active infection. I simply don't have 200 euros to see that dermatologist and every doctor I met has no idea what to do with a case like mine.
Now I can't warn anyone enough about how graphic some of these pictures are!
Right forearm
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Chest
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Shoulder
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Ankle with fluid
http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
forearm and chest *ugh*
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
leg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
inside heel
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
I never had any sores like this until I started these treatments and most of these feel like debris but the pin pricks are starting to come back and I just don't know if I should be treating myself with more of that poison.
The last thing I need is speculation that will make me worry more so please don't comment unless you have concrete advice.
GMB1306

United States

#2 May 17, 2011
Fresh Bytez wrote:
I have been living with scabies for about 4 years now. I have seen 6 different doctors and only after paying 200 euros to a new dermatologist was I told that I had crusted scabies.
I started getting a mysterious and itchy eczema that started suddenly after I moved to a new country. He said that all the cortisone creams prescribed by the doctors made things much worse. For once I STOPPED using all the cortisone and the xyzall before I went to see this dermatologist so he could see my eczema at its worst.
I have gone through at least 10 tubes of permethrin cream (that stuff is useless), tried benzyl benzoate (torture!), bought sulfur on ebay and mixed my own cream (just did not work), sulphur soap is good tho. My low point was taking a bleach bath (for the love of god don't take a bleach bath!) I got 10 kilos of borax and I am surprised my clothes washer has not caught fire from overuse!
Bought a plastic mattress which is an absolute necessity. I put garbage bags on my chairs and I shake them off every few hours.
Finally I went to a new doctor and begged him to give me stromectol (ivermectin). This stuff is amazing! I only saw a new line under my skin 5 days after my first treatment and then I took the second. I went to a second doctor and got two more rounds. I just took my third round of it and I will be taking my fourth next week.
POST SCABIES! I know I am highly allergic to dust mites because I had an allergy test done for my eczema and since they are in the same family I am sure that is why I am literally covered in sores.
Where I am forced to itch the skin simply peels away and the sore bleeds and then weeps an amber fluid for the rest of the day. It started with my legs and is how on my arms. It literally feels like I am digging something out of me. I have been forced to take an extended time off of work because I have sores on my hands and arms. I do not believe that this has been caused by over showering or by the creams I have tried. I have four years of debris coming out of me and the itching is unbearable.
Now it has been 4 months since I started permethrin and 1 month since my last dose of ivermectin. Would someone please let me know if these pics are post scabies or if they are are an active infection. I simply don't have 200 euros to see that dermatologist and every doctor I met has no idea what to do with a case like mine.
Now I can't warn anyone enough about how graphic some of these pictures are!
Right forearm
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Chest
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Shoulder
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Ankle with fluid
http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
forearm and chest *ugh*
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
leg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
inside heel
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
I never had any sores like this until I started these treatments and most of these feel like debris but the pin pricks are starting to come back and I just don't know if I should be treating myself with more of that poison.
The last thing I need is speculation that will make me worry more so please don't comment unless you have concrete advice.
Dear Fresh Bytze, I have never seen photos of the crusted scabies, this is from the Center Disease Control in the US. See what I copied. It looks as though you might need to get an antibotic for the open sores. Since you had the crusted scabies.
I will post to this blog the information from the CDC.
GMB1306

United States

#3 May 17, 2011
Crusted (Norwegian) Scabies
Some immunocompromised, elderly, disabled, or debilitated persons are at risk for a severe form of scabies called crusted, or Norwegian, scabies. Persons with crusted scabies have thick crusts of skin that contain large numbers of scabies mites and eggs. The mites in crusted scabies are not more virulent than in non-crusted scabies; however, they are much more numerous (up to 2 million per patient). Because they are infested with such large numbers of mites, persons with crusted scabies are very contagious to other persons. In addition to spreading scabies through brief direct skin-to-skin contact, persons with crusted scabies can transmit scabies indirectly by shedding mites that contaminate items such as their clothing, bedding, and furniture. Persons with crusted scabies should receive quick and aggressive medical treatment for their infestation to prevent outbreaks of scabies.
GMB1306

United States

#4 May 17, 2011
Treatment
On this Page
Suggested General GuidelinesMedications Used to Treat Scabies
Suggested General Guidelines
It is important to remember that the first time a person gets scabies they usually have no symptoms during the first 2 to 6 weeks they are infested; however they can still spread scabies during this time.
In addition to the infested person, treatment also is recommended for household members and sexual contacts, particularly those who have had prolonged direct skin-to-skin contact with the infested person. Both sexual and close personal contacts who have had direct prolonged skin-to-skin contact with an infested person within the preceding month should be examined and treated. All persons should be treated at the same time to prevent reinfestation.
Products used to treat scabies are called scabicides because they kill scabies mites; some also kill mite eggs. Scabicides used to treat human scabies are available only with a doctorís prescription. No ďover-the-counterĒ(non-prescri ption) products have been tested and approved to treat scabies. The instructions contained in the box or printed on the label always should be followed carefully. Always contact a doctor or pharmacist if unsure how to use a particular medicine.
Scabicide lotion or cream should be applied to all areas of the body from the neck down to the feet and toes. In addition, when treating infants and young children, scabicide lotion or cream also should be applied to their entire head and neck because scabies can affect their face, scalp, and neck, as well as the rest of their body. The lotion or cream should be applied to a clean body and left on for the recommended time before washing it off. Clean clothing should be worn after treatment.
Bedding, clothing, and towels used by infested persons or their household, sexual, and close contacts (as defined above) anytime during the three days before treatment should be decontaminated by washing in hot water and drying in a hot dryer, by dry-cleaning, or by sealing in a plastic bag for at least 72 hours. Scabies mites generally do not survive more than 2 to 3 days away from human skin.
GMB1306

United States

#5 May 17, 2011
Because the symptoms of scabies are due to a hypersensitivity reaction (allergy) to mites and their feces (scybala), itching still may continue for several weeks after treatment even if all the mites and eggs are killed. If itching still is present more than 2 to 4 weeks after treatment or if new burrows or pimple-like rash lesions continue to appear, retreatment may be necessary.
Skin sores that become infected should be treated with an appropriate antibiotic prescribed by a doctor.
Use of insecticide sprays and fumigants is not recommended.
Medications Used to Treat Scabies
Products used to kill scabies mites are called scabicides. Scabicides used to treat human scabies are available only with a doctorís prescription. No ďover-the-counterĒ(non-prescri ption) products have been tested and approved to treat human scabies.
The instructions contained in the box or printed on the label always should be followed carefully. Always contact a doctor or pharmacist if unsure how to use a particular medicine.
Prevention & Control
When a person is infested with scabies mites the first time, symptoms may not appear for up to two months after being infested. However, an infested person can transmit scabies, even if they do not have symptoms. Scabies usually is passed by direct, prolonged skin-to-skin contact with an infested person. However, a person with crusted (Norwegian) scabies can spread the infestation by brief skin-to-skin contact or by exposure to bedding, clothing, or even furniture that he/she has used.
Scabies is prevented by avoiding direct skin-to-skin contact with an infested person or with items such as clothing or bedding used by an infested person. Scabies treatment usually is recommended for members of the same household, particularly for those who have had prolonged skin-to-skin contact. All household members and other potentially exposed persons should be treated at the same time as the infested person to prevent possible reexposure and reinfestation. Bedding and clothing worn or used next to the skin anytime during the 3 days before treatment should be machine washed and dried using the hot water and hot dryer cycles or be dry-cleaned. Items that cannot be dry-cleaned or laundered can be disinfested by storing in a closed plastic bag for several days to a week. Scabies mites generally do not survive more than 2 to 3 days away from human skin. Children and adults usually can return to child care, school, or work the day after treatment.
Persons with crusted scabies and their close contacts, including household members, should be treated rapidly and aggressively to avoid outbreaks. Institutional outbreaks can be difficult to control and require a rapid, aggressive, and sustained response.
Rooms used by a patient with crusted scabies should be thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed after use. Environmental disinfestation using pesticide sprays or fogs generally is unnecessary and is discouraged.
GMB1306

United States

#6 May 17, 2011
Possible Complications
The intense itching of scabies leads to scratching that can lead to skin sores. The sores sometimes become infected with bacteria on the skin, such as Staphylococcus aureus or beta-hemolytic streptococci. Sometimes the bacterial skin infection can lead an inflammation of the kidneys called post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis.
GMB1306

United States

#7 May 17, 2011
GMB1306 wrote:
<quoted text>Dear Fresh Bytze, I have never seen photos of the crusted scabies, this is from the Center Disease Control in the US. See what I copied. It looks as though you might need to get an antibotic for the open sores. Since you had the crusted scabies.
I will post to this blog the information from the CDC.
Possible Complications
The intense itching of scabies leads to scratching that can lead to skin sores. The sores sometimes become infected with bacteria on the skin, such as Staphylococcus aureus or beta-hemolytic streptococci. Sometimes the bacterial skin infection can lead an inflammation of the kidneys called post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis.
bugged out

Honolulu, HI

#8 May 17, 2011
Like you I've had scabies for 4 years too. Your pictures look very similar to what I've just experienced. For most of the past 4 years I've had very little visible evidence of these things because I treat rigorously everyday but in April I left my house for a couple of weeks and treated heavily with sulfur and Ivermectin. I felt great for the first week but then when I decided to soak in a hot tub I was viciously attacked. Within a day I went from no signs of scabies on my body to hundreds of lesions on my back. I really don't know if they were exiting my body or if they were lying on the surface of the skin and the heat made they want to enter my body for escape. My back is now starting to heal after a month of salt/peroxide and clove oil rubs.

I'm very sorry you are going through this, it's awful.
bugged out

Honolulu, HI

#9 May 17, 2011
The lesions on my back were not Post Scabies, when I came back for my trip I was crawling from head to toe like never before.

If you feel crawlies you are still infested. Rub your spots with sea salt and peroxide.

I started taking Triphala powder to boost my immune system, I read it take several weeks to start to see results.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#10 May 17, 2011
Fresh Bytez wrote:
I have been living with scabies for about 4 years now. I have seen 6 different doctors and only after paying 200 euros to a new dermatologist was I told that I had crusted scabies.
I started getting a mysterious and itchy eczema that started suddenly after I moved to a new country. He said that all the cortisone creams prescribed by the doctors made things much worse. For once I STOPPED using all the cortisone and the xyzall before I went to see this dermatologist so he could see my eczema at its worst.
I have gone through at least 10 tubes of permethrin cream (that stuff is useless), tried benzyl benzoate (torture!), bought sulfur on ebay and mixed my own cream (just did not work), sulphur soap is good tho. My low point was taking a bleach bath (for the love of god don't take a bleach bath!) I got 10 kilos of borax and I am surprised my clothes washer has not caught fire from overuse!
Bought a plastic mattress which is an absolute necessity. I put garbage bags on my chairs and I shake them off every few hours.
Finally I went to a new doctor and begged him to give me stromectol (ivermectin). This stuff is amazing! I only saw a new line under my skin 5 days after my first treatment and then I took the second. I went to a second doctor and got two more rounds. I just took my third round of it and I will be taking my fourth next week.
POST SCABIES! I know I am highly allergic to dust mites because I had an allergy test done for my eczema and since they are in the same family I am sure that is why I am literally covered in sores.
Where I am forced to itch the skin simply peels away and the sore bleeds and then weeps an amber fluid for the rest of the day. It started with my legs and is how on my arms. It literally feels like I am digging something out of me. I have been forced to take an extended time off of work because I have sores on my hands and arms. I do not believe that this has been caused by over showering or by the creams I have tried. I have four years of debris coming out of me and the itching is unbearable.
Now it has been 4 months since I started permethrin and 1 month since my last dose of ivermectin. Would someone please let me know if these pics are post scabies or if they are are an active infection. I simply don't have 200 euros to see that dermatologist and every doctor I met has no idea what to do with a case like mine.
Now I can't warn anyone enough about how graphic some of these pictures are!
Right forearm
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Chest
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Shoulder
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
Ankle with fluid
http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
forearm and chest *ugh*
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
leg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
inside heel
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k489/fres...
I never had any sores like this until I started these treatments and most of these feel like debris but the pin pricks are starting to come back and I just don't know if I should be treating myself with more of that poison.
The last thing I need is speculation that will make me worry more so please don't comment unless you have concrete advice.
I think they are fresh because I am nearly cured and my skin has gone quiet, bumps have gone down, crawling sensations have stopped. But then again everyone is different. I found whenever I treated I found an outbreak somewhere. I think they panic and start laying eggs in a frenzy. Have a look at TSD's comments on Imidacloprid thread.
Fresh Bytez

Dublin, Ireland

#11 May 17, 2011
My wife wrote an email to a parasite clinic in a major Paris hospital and he replied saying that no scabies can survive two rounds of stromectol.

I just keep telling myself that other evidence shows that these sores are going to last for 4 to 8 months and if I keep worrying that I am infected during this period I might end up jumping out the window. So I need to believe this is post scabies after ALLLL the treatment I have done.

Looks like we are in this together bugged out :-)

I just don't know whether the doctors are idiots or if we are all insane for not believing we could ever be cured :-)
Fresh Bytez

Dublin, Ireland

#12 May 17, 2011
About Imidacloprid... I have reached some low points in this but I just don't know if I could use something that is for dogs on me. I am already terrified that I will eventually get cancer or be STERILE from all of the crap I have used already!

I made an appointment with a dermatologist in two weeks...
little bug

Dublin, Ireland

#13 May 17, 2011
This can explain the "crawling sensations" which ARE NOT scabies crawling under your skin:

FORMICATION is the medical term for a sensation that resembles that of insects crawling on (or under) the skin. It is one specific form of a set of sensations known as paresthesia, which also include the more common prickling, tingling sensation of "pins and needles". Formication is a well-documented symptom that has numerous possible causes.
The experience of formication may sometimes cause feelings of itchiness, tingling, pins and needles, burning, or even pain. When it is perceived as itchiness, it may trigger the scratch reflex and because of this, some people who are suffering from the sensation are at risk of causing skin damage through excessive scratching. More rarely, susceptible individuals who fixate on the sensation may develop delusional parasitosis, becoming convinced that this sensation is being caused by actual insects, despite repeated reassurances from physicians, pest control experts, and entomologists.
GMB1306

United States

#14 May 17, 2011
Fresh Bytez wrote:
My wife wrote an email to a parasite clinic in a major Paris hospital and he replied saying that no scabies can survive two rounds of stromectol.
I just keep telling myself that other evidence shows that these sores are going to last for 4 to 8 months and if I keep worrying that I am infected during this period I might end up jumping out the window. So I need to believe this is post scabies after ALLLL the treatment I have done.
Looks like we are in this together bugged out :-)
I just don't know whether the doctors are idiots or if we are all insane for not believing we could ever be cured :-)
Look up LUPUS
you will find the definition, they have the information on Mayo Clinic web site
bugged out

Honolulu, HI

#15 May 17, 2011
little bug wrote:
This can explain the "crawling sensations" which ARE NOT scabies crawling under your skin:
FORMICATION is the medical term for a sensation that resembles that of insects crawling on (or under) the skin. It is one specific form of a set of sensations known as paresthesia, which also include the more common prickling, tingling sensation of "pins and needles". Formication is a well-documented symptom that has numerous possible causes.
The experience of formication may sometimes cause feelings of itchiness, tingling, pins and needles, burning, or even pain. When it is perceived as itchiness, it may trigger the scratch reflex and because of this, some people who are suffering from the sensation are at risk of causing skin damage through excessive scratching. More rarely, susceptible individuals who fixate on the sensation may develop delusional parasitosis, becoming convinced that this sensation is being caused by actual insects, despite repeated reassurances from physicians, pest control experts, and entomologists.
We donít have delusional parasitosis Little Bug! You must be doctor! Go back to your office and stroke your ego.

17 members of my family contracted scabies and passed it on to me. My 18 month daughter had big sores on her head, belly, and hands. She cried that ants where crawling on her. My family and I were diagnosed with scabies by two doctors. Iíve seen many doctors since and they donít know the hell we live with and they donít care to help. I will never go to another doctor and set myself up for disappointment like that again. Itís heartbreaking.

Most scabies suffers donít scratch themselves! Why would we want to spread the bug to another part of the body?
bugged out

Honolulu, HI

#16 May 17, 2011
Fresh Bytez wrote:
My wife wrote an email to a parasite clinic in a major Paris hospital and he replied saying that no scabies can survive two rounds of stromectol.
I just keep telling myself that other evidence shows that these sores are going to last for 4 to 8 months and if I keep worrying that I am infected during this period I might end up jumping out the window. So I need to believe this is post scabies after ALLLL the treatment I have done.
Looks like we are in this together bugged out :-)
I just don't know whether the doctors are idiots or if we are all insane for not believing we could ever be cured :-)
I was told one dose of Perm was all I needed. Then I was told only one dose of Stromectol was all I needed. I've taken dozens of dosed of Stromectol and saw no results. It works for some and others it doesn't.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#17 May 17, 2011
Catzillaa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they are fresh because I am nearly cured and my skin has gone quiet, bumps have gone down, crawling sensations have stopped. But then again everyone is different. I found whenever I treated I found an outbreak somewhere. I think they panic and start laying eggs in a frenzy. Have a look at TSD's comments on Imidacloprid thread.
Maybe give the stromectol a little time to finish its purge then sit back and see if anything new appears. Its hard to tell between post scabies and active scabies because symptoms can be the same.In my case if the bumps were shiny and raised I felt that was a healthy developing bump but I never knew for sure as there is little information out there for what we should be looking for on our skin.
Fresh Bytez

Dublin, Ireland

#18 May 17, 2011
Bugged out... Trust me, you and I are in the same boat.

Did you say that for 4 years you had this but as soon as you started the treatment these incredible sores started to appear? I was almost sore free with only crazy eczema until my first stromectol treatment.

I actually took a single treatment before I went to see a friend in Paris and I almost lost my mind sleeping on his blow up mattress I was itchy x100 5 days after my dosage!!! He asked me if I was OK?! I was itching so bad... I did not know I had it when I booked the trip. I really think that was the start of post scabies tho...

I was getting much better without sores but I was taking xyzall (the best antihistamine on the market) and betnovate (a powerful cortizone cream) to ease the pain just like I had for the last 4 years.

I decided to stop taking xyzall 2 weeks after my 5th! stromectol treatment...

Everything blew up... I decided that everywhere my eczema was? debris was... and it all turned into pussy sores :-(

I went two more weeks in confidence of this! but I had MAJOR flare ups of eczema where I absolutely needed to cover myself in cortisone...

i decided to NOT use cortisone...

here I sit... in tears... back on xyzall and covered in cortisone...

Bugged out? The post scabies sores on me are like NOTHING I ever experienced with scabies...

Scabies has been around for thousands of years and these treatments CLAIM 100% treatment rates...

Post scabies for us is expected to last for 4 to 8 MONTHS...

I am telling myself this as much as I am telling it to the forum :-)

For the love of god someone back me up and stop telling me to take crap for dogs :-D

Since: May 11

Dublin, Ireland

#19 May 17, 2011
I must add that Xyzall and Betnovate is BLISS!

But this is what got me here in the first place...

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#20 May 18, 2011
you think that was my first option? crap for dogs? Ive done everything. I just want to return to work and be done with this. So I chose something that is going to work. While Im fluffing around with treatments that dont work the scabies are laying more eggs which means more generations to deal with and longer time off work. Imidacloprid was tested on english schoolchildren for lice at 10% concentration. This, if I remember, is the same volume as Advantix.
Doesnt mean its safe but it does mean Im not being a lab rat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to keep these mites out of your hair (Mar '10) 4 hr Brandon68 87
clove oil cures scabies (Oct '10) 4 hr Qmz 89
why you are not beating the mites..... (Jul '10) 4 hr Brandon68 44
salt water scabies 8 hr pat 1
I don't think it's scabies 11 hr Bob b 14
Take it to the next level: Albendazole and Praz... (Jul '13) 12 hr Yoda 51
Mites I think I need help with idenfying what i... 12 hr Duffau 3
More from around the web