Post Scabies or Reinfestation?

Post Scabies or Reinfestation?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Anxious

United States

#1 Dec 25, 2011
About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with scabies by a nurse who based her diagnosis on distribution of red bumps (stomach, thighs, wrists, forearms). I never showed any burrows.

I treated with permethrin 5% for 12 to 14 hours three times 3-4 days apart. I was maniacal about cleaning, washed and dried linens in high heat daily using gloves, bagged clothing I wasn't wearing, covered my mattress with plastic, vacuumed, avoided my closet for a week, showered or bathed twice daily. You know the drill.

Anyway, now, about a week and a half after my last treatment I am seeing a new bump on my palm and possible reddening of some bumps on my forearm and thighs, which went away after the second permethrin application (which made my bumps increase in number and puff up the first time around.)

Could I be reinfested after all the measures I took? I know I caught it early and even in the worst days after my first perm treatment felt only moderate intermittent itching. I'm going crazy here... I am heading home shortly and would die if I passed this on to my family. Please advise me about post scabies vs. reinfestation. Merry Christmas!!!
akili

Burbank, CA

#2 Dec 26, 2011
Herpesmate.℃&#96 75;M~ is a warm-hearted and exclusive community for you to find friendship, support, and even love with Herpes or learn about medical information about Herpes. If you just need to find someone to talk to or offer help or advice, this is the best place.
LoriSaysHey

San Diego, CA

#3 Dec 28, 2011
Anxious wrote:
About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with scabies by a nurse who based her diagnosis on distribution of red bumps (stomach, thighs, wrists, forearms). I never showed any burrows.
I treated with permethrin 5% for 12 to 14 hours three times 3-4 days apart. I was maniacal about cleaning, washed and dried linens in high heat daily using gloves, bagged clothing I wasn't wearing, covered my mattress with plastic, vacuumed, avoided my closet for a week, showered or bathed twice daily. You know the drill.
Anyway, now, about a week and a half after my last treatment I am seeing a new bump on my palm and possible reddening of some bumps on my forearm and thighs, which went away after the second permethrin application (which made my bumps increase in number and puff up the first time around.)
Could I be reinfested after all the measures I took? I know I caught it early and even in the worst days after my first perm treatment felt only moderate intermittent itching. I'm going crazy here... I am heading home shortly and would die if I passed this on to my family. Please advise me about post scabies vs. reinfestation. Merry Christmas!!!
Dear Anxious. So, so sorry you got reinfested, but it is easy to get reinfested because they are microscopic. It is very difficult to destroy every single place in your home where the scabies eggs may have fallen off your skin or clothing. In fact, the Scabies hate the cold and even if you kill all the adults and larvae, the eggs can live for years! They will hybernate in the cold weather, but when things warm up, they could hatch and reinfest whomever they come in contact with. One scarey story I read in my research last summer was about a man whose mother was so infested with Scabies that she had to move out of her house. He helped her move. 3 years later - he noticed bites on his body similar to what his mother had. He thought back about how he could have contracted this and he remembered that he had one of his mother's trunks in his attic from when he moved her. He recently rummaged through it! He realized that he must have contracted it from the clothes she wore when she had it. I've read other such accounts. These are definately the bugs from hell. But, I always have Lice R Gone in my home now - would never be without it again. It's the only thing, along with the coconut oil with clove oil, that helped my son, my husband, and my son's caretaker to get free from these awful things. According to my research, this strain of Scabies came to the US and Canada in 2007 from Northern Austrailia and the Philipines - to southern California in 2009 - San Diego in summer 2010, which is where I live. A pharmacist also recently told me that he has seen more and more prescriptions being precribed for Permethrin cream lately. But, this strain of Scabies has become resistant to the usual pharmaceuticals that have been prescribed for years. So my recommendation is to purchase the LRG off the inet, coconut oil with clove oil (1 part clove oil to 4 parts coconut oil), keep them handy always, keep everything clean, and pray that they don't return. Another thing that I learned helps to rid them in your yard, carpet, and furniture is DE (Diatomaceous EArth - ensure it is the food grade, not what they use in pools) Check it out. Take care!
josh

Round Lake, IL

#4 Feb 15, 2012
hey guys i wass treated for scabies twice 7 days apart with permetherin cream 5% and my itching hass gone down bhut affter 2 weeks im still gettin like pus bumps some are close together is this post scabies? somebody please help
FRED

Denver, CO

#5 Feb 15, 2012
LoriSaysHey wrote:
<quoted text>
Another thing that I learned helps to rid them in your yard, carpet, and furniture is DE (Diatomaceous EArth - ensure it is the food grade, not what they use in pools) Check it out. Take care!
So we have to treat our yards too?! I'm going outside and put permethrin cream on my trees right now.
FRED

Denver, CO

#6 Feb 15, 2012
LoriSaysHey wrote:
<quoted text>
even if you kill all the adults and larvae, the eggs can live for years! According to my research, this strain of Scabies came to the US and Canada in 2007 from Northern Austrailia and the Philipines - to southern California in 2009 - San Diego in summer 2010, which is where I live.
So do you have some links for your research ? I've read everything I can get about this and i never saw anywhere that the eggs can live for years. So they showed up in San Diego in summer 2010? do you know what flight they arrived on?

Also i just figured out that a tube of permethrin doesn't even come close to covering a mid sized tree..........
rebel92goddess

Edgware, UK

#7 May 7, 2014
Anxious no very unlikely reinfested alot of problems are retreating with toxic cream but permethrin gives some people worse itch and bumps then in the first place for a few weeks but on the bright side it will get better I know it's hard to ignore but wait a least a month and half if things don't improve go doctors say need a different method, wish you all the best x
FreakedOUT

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Aug 22, 2015
I got scabies about a month ago and I went through two rounds of permethrin treatment 7 days apart from each other, as well as cleaned all my bedding, towels, and clothes. At first the itching got worse but about a week later the itchy bumps started to go away and I was barely itchy anymore. But... yesterday I drank a bottle of wine with a friend and the red itchy bumps all came back within a couple hours! now I look and feel infested again! The bumps haven't died down over the past 24 hours! Did I get scabies AGAIN or is this normal when recovering from scabies?!
pay477

Tampa, FL

#9 Jun 12, 2016
FreakedOUT wrote:
I got scabies about a month ago and I went through two rounds of permethrin treatment 7 days apart from each other, as well as cleaned all my bedding, towels, and clothes. At first the itching got worse but about a week later the itchy bumps started to go away and I was barely itchy anymore. But... yesterday I drank a bottle of wine with a friend and the red itchy bumps all came back within a couple hours! now I look and feel infested again! The bumps haven't died down over the past 24 hours! Did I get scabies AGAIN or is this normal when recovering from scabies?!
so did it go away? or were you reinfested? the same thing happened to me..
no_one

Germany

#10 Nov 19, 2016
pay477 wrote:
<quoted text>

so did it go away? or were you reinfested? the same thing happened to me..
Going through the same.....when I felt I won this battle, I woke up with my arms wrists and hands all covered! Still, no itch or crawling sensation! Don't know what to do
no_one

Germany

#11 Nov 19, 2016
Actually, what surprised me the most was the speed they showed up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Turpentine (Oct '10) 4 hr Claris 32
100% true cure for scabies/ dont waste money a... (Jan '14) 9 hr Nurse 29
durvet ivermectin pour on for cattle CURE (Sep '11) 15 hr Songbird6352 336
Mites butting me 20 hr EP Endlessly Perp... 3
How long does Ivermectin take to work? (Mar '10) Wed NeemsPrayin 242
Equine Ivermectin Paste 1.87% (Sep '10) Tue Connie 112
Happy Jack's Kennel Dip II (Sep '11) Apr 14 Always Think Twice 25