Cured.
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 12, 2013
I have had scabies for 3 months which i know is insignificant compared to what some people on this forum have gone through. I was however starting to loose it mentally, sobbing everyday and often thinking about shooting myself because I was so exhausted from scratching all night and having nothing work (permethrin creams, borax baths). Finally I got my doctor to prescribe oral ivermectin. 2 doeses, 7 days apart while rubbing clove oil all over my body 2 x a day in between the 2 doses of ivermectin. I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to not itch every waking (and sleeping second). Life without scabies is a dream come true. Most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in my life I wish you all luck, ask questions if you have any.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2 Jan 12, 2013
scratchy wrote:
I have had scabies for 3 months which i know is insignificant compared to what some people on this forum have gone through. I was however starting to loose it mentally, sobbing everyday and often thinking about shooting myself because I was so exhausted from scratching all night and having nothing work (permethrin creams, borax baths). Finally I got my doctor to prescribe oral ivermectin. 2 doeses, 7 days apart while rubbing clove oil all over my body 2 x a day in between the 2 doses of ivermectin. I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to not itch every waking (and sleeping second). Life without scabies is a dream come true. Most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in my life I wish you all luck, ask questions if you have any.
Cograts!! Your Lucky!

Rouses Point, New York

#3 Jan 12, 2013
It is good news. An awesome doctor that listened and and not scared to take action. The earlier the treatment, the more successful the outcome.
Congratulations.
misery_in_au

Kellyville, Australia

#5 Jan 13, 2013
Gosh, well done and congrats. How often did you use the other treatments which didn't work? Did you treat your scalp? Do you think the iver is working because its internal? Are you going to continue with other treatments once cured, just to be sure?
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 13, 2013
misery_in_au wrote:
Gosh, well done and congrats. How often did you use the other treatments which didn't work? Did you treat your scalp? Do you think the iver is working because its internal? Are you going to continue with other treatments once cured, just to be sure?
The permethrin got used 3 times 7 days apart. The first application did not go on my scalp or face but the 2nd and 3rd one did. Doctors would straight up shake their heads and laugh when I told them I thought they had infested my face and scalp. What I learned through this whole experience is doctors know JACK SHIT about scabies and that you have to take this into your own hands if you want to get cured. I think the only reason I finally got a dermatologist to prescribe ivermectin is because it was obvious I had done my own research and knew what I was talking about. I think ivermectin works because it is internal and gets at your face and scalp- its possible to rub permethrin on face and scalp but messy and easy to miss a spot since you want to avoid your eyes and mouth. Also seems like scabies can infest insides of ears, and inside of noses which are hard to cover with permethrin since its such toxin stuff. The borax baths/ hydrogen peroxide baths (2 cups or borax added to hot bath + 16 ounce of hydrogen peroxide) I did were 2 x a day for four days. Didn't work for me.
One thing I think worth mentioning- I have no rash and no bites for the first 2 months. The first 2 doctors I saw didn't think I had scabies since there was no real "evidence" on my skin, or between my fingers and on wrists ("typical" spots you would see scabies evidence). Took a biopsy to confirm scabies. All that I had for symptoms was the most intense itching on every inch of my body. No concentrated spots, EVERY INCH- ALL THE TIME.
I noticed an immediate difference after the first dose of ivermectin. It was amazing. Im going to continue with the clove oil (4 tablespoons lotion-doesnt matter what kind as long as it isnt too think, 1 teaspoon clove bud essential oil) rubbed on three times a day after a hot shower (to open pores) because I'm super paranoid about getting them again.
Other measures I have taken - washing bedding, clothes and everything fabric that I touch in hot water and borax. I wrapped all furniture and my mattress in plastic. Luckily I don't have carpet so I just removed all the rugs. Sprayed stuff that can't be washed daily with a flea/tick spray for dogs that contains 1% permethrin (such as belts, shoes, car). I pity the poor souls who don't have access to laundry and have to go to the laundromat. All I do is laundry. Also VERY lucky that I'm not working a fulltime job right now and can take a break from life to deal with this. Everytime I started to feel bad for myself I would imagine a single mom who works 2 jobs and has 5 kids who all have scabies and no access to laundry. This of course usually made me cry more.
My dog has also been super itchy. Every doctor I talked to told me that the mites that affect humans are different than the ones that affect dogs. Finally the day I was prescribed the ivermectin I took my dog to the vet because I didn't want to go through the hassle of being cured and then getting reinfected from my dog. I told the vet I had scabies and she gave ol' scratchy an injection of ivermectin without doing a biopsy, no questions asked. She has to have another injection in 1 week, and another 2 weeks after that. Not sure what my thoughts on this are but I believe its possible for humans and dogs to reinfect each other despite what is believed in the medical community. Not sure.
Sulfer treatment also seems super promising. I only did it once (the night before I got my precious ivermectin) but it is messy and smells. If I hadn't been prescribed ivermectin I would have continued but I had a job interview the next day and I smelled very strongly of sulfer so I washed it off. I did notice a difference after putting it on though.
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jan 13, 2013
sorry if my post shows up more then once, my computer started to freak out while I was posting that giant reply

Location hidden

#8 Jan 13, 2013
How long have you been scabie free? It's really sad that we know then the docs! If they just rx everything from the beginning we would all be ok, instead of crying 8 months later
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jan 13, 2013
Needpeace34 wrote:
How long have you been scabie free? It's really sad that we know then the docs! If they just rx everything from the beginning we would all be ok, instead of crying 8 months later
I have been scabies free for only a few days and I m holding my breath-still obsessively rubbing clove oil all over my body and doing laundry. Basically I'm still pretending I have scabies.
misery_in_au

Winston Hills, Australia

#10 Jan 13, 2013
Needpeace34 wrote:
Ditto. 8 months for me now too.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 13, 2013
scratchy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been scabies free for only a few days and I m holding my breath-still obsessively rubbing clove oil all over my body and doing laundry. Basically I'm still pretending I have scabies.
I would keep pretending for at least 1 month, just to be sure. Hey you've been cleaning for this long what's another few more weeks? I'm happy 4 you usually not a lot of happy endings here.
Dangbugswontdie

Garden City, MI

#12 Jan 15, 2013
The borax baths didn't work for you? We are using 6 cups peroxide and 6 cups borax in a bath and soaking twice a day, for 40 min. What amount did you try that didn't work??

Also how much clove oil did you use, and mixed with what? We tried clove oil mixed with olive oil (50/50 on our bodies and 25/75% on our heads) but found it too harsh. How long did you Do it for? Thanks:)

Rouses Point, New York

#13 Jan 15, 2013
Dangbugswontdie wrote:
The borax baths didn't work for you? We are using 6 cups peroxide and 6 cups borax in a bath and soaking twice a day, for 40 min. What amount did you try that didn't work??
Also how much clove oil did you use, and mixed with what? We tried clove oil mixed with olive oil (50/50 on our bodies and 25/75% on our heads) but found it too harsh. How long did you Do it for? Thanks:)
What about your scalp?

Location hidden

#14 Jan 15, 2013
cured_ not_ almost wrote:
<quoted text>
What about your scalp?
Looks like she used iver for face and scalp. I did clove oil and olive oil put that in a spray bottle and spray your scalp. Those little bastards stop crawling! For face I used something with pimple med that hate that acid killing them!

Rouses Point, New York

#15 Jan 15, 2013
Needpeace34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like she used iver for face and scalp. I did clove oil and olive oil put that in a spray bottle and spray your scalp. Those little bastards stop crawling! For face I used something with pimple med that hate that acid killing them!
Really, I didn't know clove and olive oil.
Getting ready to do Fred's protocol .
I hope never to use another poison. I'm lucky to be here from all those times.
We will be cured !!!!!!!
Dangbugswontdie

Garden City, MI

#16 Jan 18, 2013
cured_ not_ almost wrote:
<quoted text>
What about your scalp?
We soak our heads in the bath too. So far, this is the only thing that has really worked for our heads. My hair is getting red highlighted from all the peroxide... But I'll just color it!:)
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jan 18, 2013
uggggh. I just HAD to go and post for you other poor sad souls out there and now i'm itching like crazy again. The day before my second dose of ivermectin I started itching again. Then I took my ivermectin (this was on Tuesday so 3 days ago) and still itching. Getting worst. I wanna cry. Yes Ive considered post scabies syndrom but I have no rash and no bumps. Just really itchy again and starting to panic. Thought I had done everything right :(
My dog never stopped itching either. She has her 2nd injection of ivermectin in a couple days.
I'm wondering since our dosings weren't aligned that maybe we gave them to eachother again? You have no idea how horrible it is to feel such wonderful relief and then itchy all over again. Now i really dont know what to do.

Location hidden

#18 Jan 18, 2013
scratchy wrote:
uggggh. I just HAD to go and post for you other poor sad souls out there and now i'm itching like crazy again. The day before my second dose of ivermectin I started itching again. Then I took my ivermectin (this was on Tuesday so 3 days ago) and still itching. Getting worst. I wanna cry. Yes Ive considered post scabies syndrom but I have no rash and no bumps. Just really itchy again and starting to panic. Thought I had done everything right :(
My dog never stopped itching either. She has her 2nd injection of ivermectin in a couple days.
I'm wondering since our dosings weren't aligned that maybe we gave them to eachother again? You have no idea how horrible it is to feel such wonderful relief and then itchy all over again. Now i really dont know what to do.
Sometime itching is post scabies don't freak out! Is it non stop itching? Do you feel worse at night? I read that iver makes you itch. It could be that also. Just keep monitoring your skin.:(

Location hidden

#19 Jan 18, 2013
Scratchy - you should order some iver or eprinex from Amazon and try it topically. Check the Eprinex and DMSO thread. I'm doing the oral iver (injectable for cattle) and topical iver (Durvet pour-on). I'm alternating so I don't OD on iver.... but oral every 3 or 4 days.

When my Durvet runs out (and if I still itch) I'm going to try the eprinex with alcohol and citrasolv.

I bathe my dog daily... and I'm using this shampoo on my head too ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/SynergyLabs-Clinical-An...
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jan 19, 2013
The Hungry Ghosts wrote:
Scratchy - you should order some iver or eprinex from Amazon and try it topically. Check the Eprinex and DMSO thread. I'm doing the oral iver (injectable for cattle) and topical iver (Durvet pour-on). I'm alternating so I don't OD on iver.... but oral every 3 or 4 days.
When my Durvet runs out (and if I still itch) I'm going to try the eprinex with alcohol and citrasolv.
Thanks SO much. I'm buying the shampoo for my dog right now. These scabies are gonna send me straight to the poor house but at this point I don't even care.
needpeace34-its not non stop itching, i mostly just feel tingeing and uncomfortable. Its hard to tell if its worst at night because at night I'm lying there thinking/dreaming about scabies. I remember someone posting awhile back that what really helped them to get through scabies was to stop obsessing and get off the internet. I think this is somewhat true. I REALLY appreciate that I have had this forum as a resource but sometimes after reading some of the horror stories on here for hours I feel totally discouraged and waaaay itchier.
Its just weird that I felt great for a week and now I'm itchy again. It seems like post scabies syndrome would manifest immediately rather then a week later.
scratchy

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jan 19, 2013
The Hungry Ghosts wrote:
Is your dog super itching? Mine is biting at her paws and scratching all the time but hasn't lost fur or anything like that. The info I have found on dog and humans sharing the same kind of mite is completely inconclusive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Used the permetherin(?) On to sulfur. Now what? 28 min section 5
Bird Mites (Jul '07) 1 hr Menthol crystals 70
Should permethrin be applied to the vulva? (Jun '12) 2 hr KmG 41 2
small tiny clear bumps...looks like something i... (Jul '08) 3 hr girly1980 38
Lime sulfur 15 hr tryingtocureit 30
How to find out what type of mite you have (Jun '10) Fri Claireb 48
bleach bath recommended by dermatologist (Aug '07) Thu Rick 635
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) Jun 18 Mary 819
More from around the web