Can it be Scabies if it does NOT itch??

Can it be Scabies if it does NOT itch??

Posted in the Scabies Forum

WGO

Malverne, NY

#1 Nov 9, 2008
I have very little itching, but my dermatologist said i "could" be scabies. Other doctors said it was only a skin irritation from detergent (an allergic reaction). I had cancer before and went to my Onc and he said its not cancer and not to worry about it. Thats good to hear but im still worried

it all started on my inner arm (im worried i caught an infection from gym equipment because i wear a cut off shirt and come in contact with gym machines in that area)

then it got worse in the past week, now its on both sides, both inner arms, a few on my chest.. and a few on my leg, no where else. my hands look normal and have read it usually starts in the hands

So far ive been given (in order):
5 days of steroid pills for the "allergic reaction"
Hydrocortisone cream for the spots
permathine 5%(applied 3 times in a week already)
strometrol (ivermectin) 4 pills taken all at once

im not sure it they are going away or not.. but ones i picked and made bleed before seem to be scabbing and getting better. I think i see a few new ones on my legs but at this point im not even sure, i think im going crazy..

been washing/vacuuming the entire house.. daily linens/clothes washing.. 3 showers a day.. disinfecting tub, sinks, floors, car. everything.
Itty Bitty Critters

Deerfield Beach, FL

#2 Nov 9, 2008
WGO wrote:
I have very little itching, but my dermatologist said i "could" be scabies. Other doctors said it was only a skin irritation from detergent (an allergic reaction). I had cancer before and went to my Onc and he said its not cancer and not to worry about it. Thats good to hear but im still worried
it all started on my inner arm (im worried i caught an infection from gym equipment because i wear a cut off shirt and come in contact with gym machines in that area)
then it got worse in the past week, now its on both sides, both inner arms, a few on my chest.. and a few on my leg, no where else. my hands look normal and have read it usually starts in the hands
So far ive been given (in order):
5 days of steroid pills for the "allergic reaction"
Hydrocortisone cream for the spots
permathine 5%(applied 3 times in a week already)
strometrol (ivermectin) 4 pills taken all at once
im not sure it they are going away or not.. but ones i picked and made bleed before seem to be scabbing and getting better. I think i see a few new ones on my legs but at this point im not even sure, i think im going crazy..
been washing/vacuuming the entire house.. daily linens/clothes washing.. 3 showers a day.. disinfecting tub, sinks, floors, car. everything.
it sounds like scabies and you are on the right track with taking ivermectin and permethrin and cleaning. how much do you weigh? and were the tabs 3 mg. each? did you apply the permethrin all over from head to toe? ensure the water temp is 130 degrees. take the temp with a candy thermometer from walmart. if not, you will need to boil your clothes. you can put some things in the microwave for like 35 seconds, etc. I sometimes put my sneakers in there. use 20 mule team borax in the laundry. use bleach and hot water on the floors. wipe off all area with hot water and bleach. you can add borax, too. buy some sublimed sulfur from americarx.com and mix with either vaseline or lotion. and apply full body, esecially where your nodules are. my doctor went with the "oh, you must be allergic to your laundry detergent" route with me, too. the hydrocortisone cream will help with the itching. sometimes mine do not itch and then other times, it itches like crazy. since you have had cancer, your immune system may be compromised, so you will need to stay on top of this. It's a lot of work.
WGO

Malverne, NY

#3 Nov 10, 2008
did yours go away?
battle

Charleroi, Belgium

#5 Nov 11, 2008
For the future I'd leave out the stuff against allergic reaction. Especially hormone creams. Whatever you have it is not treating the cause of it.

You will see if perm and iver work.

If these don't and you have some allergic reaction then you still need to find out what is the cause. Hormone creams hide it, but it may be very difficult to stop using it as the symptoms come back worse when you try to stop. Talking of my own experience. No derm figured it out what I had years ago. I had been using some cream (cortisone) that I got from a friend and visually healed it and when stopped it got much worse (red skin near my nose) and spread. One derm even suggested scabies at the time and what she prescribed made it all worse. I definitely did not have scabies back then. What helped me was finally was fasting (3 days). Everything that causes problem on your skin comes from inside (can be cured by changing your diet or environment) or parasites (scabies etc).

My scabies story is posted under I'm cured thread: http://www.topix.com/forum/health/scabies/TTU...
Did not itch much.

Would recommend sulfur as long as your skin can take (7days) and tea tree cream for itchiness and moisturize a lot.
WGO

Malverne, NY

#6 Nov 11, 2008
thanks Battle, funny thing is i changed my diet to organic foods about a month ago.. cut out all fried foods and junk foods ..been eating lots of veggies & fruits for the past month ...maybe the drastic change in diet messed up my system???

All my "bite marks" are now scabby and seem to be drying up, my doc says that means they are getting better. I guess only time will tell. Maybe i'll try fasting next week if things dont get improve.

I'd be so disappointed if switching to a healthy diet did this to me.
Itty Bitty Critters

Deerfield Beach, FL

#7 Nov 11, 2008
WGO wrote:
did yours go away?
No, mine didn't go away. march will be 3 years for me. I can't do it. I have tried most everything. So, the only thing I can do now, is to keep them at bay. my mites are animal mites. and I think my immune system is deficient.
battle

Groot-bijgaarden, Belgium

#9 Nov 12, 2008
sounds like it is all fine with your diet, but if you used allergy and scabies stuff at the same time, and something is working then you don't really know which one it is.

good luck.
Driving me crazy

North Bay, Canada

#11 Dec 12, 2012
About 5 months ago I noticed in groups of three to five small slight raised bumps, they itch initially and the stop. If I happen to touch them Again they will itch some more. The bumps last for around two or three days and then go away. They appear randomly on my body, thighs, stomach, lower legs, never on hands or feet. I did do a scabies treatment, tore all the beds apart and fumigated for bedbugs. My husband and two kids do not have anything on them. Anybody have any ideas?
Missing my family

Ardsley, NY

#12 Dec 12, 2012
Driving me crazy wrote:
About 5 months ago I noticed in groups of three to five small slight raised bumps, they itch initially and the stop. If I happen to touch them Again they will itch some more. The bumps last for around two or three days and then go away. They appear randomly on my body, thighs, stomach, lower legs, never on hands or feet. I did do a scabies treatment, tore all the beds apart and fumigated for bedbugs. My husband and two kids do not have anything on them. Anybody have any ideas?
Sounds like your going through post scabies. Ck out post of post scabies.
problems

Montréal, Canada

#13 Nov 26, 2014
Driving me crazy wrote:
I am pretty much having the exact same thing. I know that it was scabies at one point because i did have somewhat a stronger rash and also my bf had terrible rash and this is the second time we caught this thing after 7 years. I can't remember how it was for me in the past but i feel like i never had intense itching or rash back then either. I haven't done perm but tea tree neem and other alternatives. I am hoping they are gone, though not 100% sure. It's been about 3 months now. Are yours gone?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
10 years and finally cured! 1 hr Anonymous 11
drug resistant scabies (Jun '13) 8 hr Emmalee 6
sulfur skin reactions (Mar '08) 11 hr debrawolf 38
Tea Tree Oil treating scabies? (Apr '07) 19 hr Thx Better Now 182
Epsom Salt & Absorbine Jr Works for Bird Mites !! (Sep '09) Wed JGR 50
Treatment advice--dogs with mange- owner with s... Wed Anonymous 39
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) Wed scabdown 840
More from around the web