Lice shampoo for Scabies??

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SleeplessInSavan nah

Warner Robins, GA

#1 Mar 20, 2010
Hello, 10 month sufferer of scabies here.

After having scabies for two months, I went to the free health clinic and they took one glance at my wrists and prescribed me permethrin.
Obviously, I should have used two doses instead of just the one. It temporarily relieved me of the symptoms of scabies for about a month. Then it all started up again.
Last night I couldnt take the itching anymore so I went to the ER. After waiting for four hours, the doctor prescribes me LICE SHAMPOO. Over the counter Rid to be exact. WTF? Is this stuff strong enough for my scabies? Will it work? Is my doctor sane?
I bought three bottles and applied about 2/3 of a bottle last night, kept it on for 10 mins and then washed it off. I was itch-free and having the best sleep ive had in the past ten months...for about thirty minutes. The itching started and just got worse throughout the night. It is now the next day and I'll say the itching has maybe lessened a smidge since i took the Rid, but that's as far as it goes.
Has anyone tried lice shampoo for scabies? Was it successful? How many times did you have to use it? I feel like I have an imbecile for a doctor for prescribing me this.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bitey

Portland, OR

#2 Mar 20, 2010
I tried it and it worked for one night. But to really get rid of mites, you have to wash your bedding and sheets every night in very hot water and a hot dryer. It also helps to use Benzly Benzoate (De-Mite)in the wash as an additive. 20 mule team borax is a helper and also Arm and Hammer detergent.

You also have to vacume and possibly shampoo your carpeting with De-Mite and the carpet shampoo.

Clean every surface with windex or alcohol or a BB solution. Or all three! But dont mix bleach and ammonia, you will get a toxic gas that may hurt you.

So, cleaning the home you are in is of utmost importance or you wont get rid of mites.
Vizio

Tyler, TX

#3 Mar 20, 2010
Bitey,

Do you dust your furniture with Windex?
Bitey

Portland, OR

#4 Mar 20, 2010
Not yet but I will now. I have been using a solution of BB and dissolved Arm and Hammer. But it really leaves a bad film.

Once I dissolved epsom salt in hot water and sprayed that all over. The furnature crystallized like something out of a sci fi movie!

My husband said: What is that? You better get that off of (cupboard doors, floors, jars, counters, bedframes) before the housekeeper comes or she will freak out!

(she comes one time a month but i may stop her until I am over this stuff)
Vizio

Tyler, TX

#5 Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, I've freaked my husband out with the DE on the couch and the plastic over it. I think that is the worst infected place in the house since that cats and I usually were there. I was even sleeping on the couch with plastic covered on it but I can't take it anymore. I am sterilizing my bedroom today so I just just be in there. How are you doing with everything?
Bitey

Portland, OR

#6 Mar 20, 2010
Hi there, I have healing sores all over, the Dr gave me an antibiotic cream for the worst ones and a steroid greasy cream for the whole body.

Better every day except i got 4 bites on my feet (under the strap on flip flops) so I know they are still in my home.

Last nite I slept for the second nite on bedding. Got a couple sharp bites and then this morning I am washing all bedding and sticking to my new rule never to sleep on the same stuff twice.

I want to sleep on a mat on the floor, but they are in the carpeting so that would bring me closer to the mite problem.

Monday both cats go in to the vet and I hope he can treat them. I washed and will continue to wash thier bedding and the places they sleep (one is in the closet and one cat sleeps on her fluffy mat)
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#7 Mar 20, 2010
Bitey wrote:
Hi there, I have healing sores all over, the Dr gave me an antibiotic cream for the worst ones and a steroid greasy cream for the whole body.
Better every day except i got 4 bites on my feet (under the strap on flip flops) so I know they are still in my home.
Last nite I slept for the second nite on bedding. Got a couple sharp bites and then this morning I am washing all bedding and sticking to my new rule never to sleep on the same stuff twice.
I want to sleep on a mat on the floor, but they are in the carpeting so that would bring me closer to the mite problem.
Monday both cats go in to the vet and I hope he can treat them. I washed and will continue to wash thier bedding and the places they sleep (one is in the closet and one cat sleeps on her fluffy mat)
bitey - what about buying yourself an air mattress for $11.88 at walmart in the camping section, that you can wash it off with water.?? not the velor kind. It's made by Ozark and it is all vinyl.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#8 Mar 20, 2010
Yes, I can get the air mattress. But then it will be on the infested floor! I will be just 6 inches away from the mites, I dont know....

Hmmm Do I want to be down near the floor....closer to the mites..... but on a clean air mattress,

OR

On my clean and plastic wrapped bed and pillow with clean sheets every day washing 10 loads of laundry a day and making my bed every day.

How to choose, how to choose....!

Oh by the way I bought Ivermecion apple flavor horse paste. I will spread it on my body after diluting it in...something like lotion.
Vizio

Tyler, TX

#9 Mar 20, 2010
Bitey,

I had to burn my cats cat trees today. They were almost ten years old and you know there is carpet on them. I got tired of sweeping, etc..I couldn't put chemicals on there because of them and they weren't worth saving to be honest with you. Tomorrow, I am going to clean one room for them and keep them in there for awhile. I have got to get this under control and my cats like to run around like maniacs, on furniture, tables, counters...It is just too much work until we get over this....It's easier to clean one room that four or five every day...
Vizio

Tyler, TX

#10 Mar 20, 2010
Bitey,

What is your laundry routine? Do you use your closets or dressers at all?
Bitey

Portland, OR

#11 Mar 20, 2010
I changed it as I saw how severe the problem was. I used to wash everything and bag it for a month. And freeze my shoes.

Well, that did not work. So now I do not touch my clothing in bags or closets.

I ONLY WEAR TWO OUTFITS, BOTH ARE NYLON/POLYESTER. I WASH THEM EVERY DAY. IN BORAX, DE-MITE, AND ARM AND HAMMER DETERGENT AND DRY ON HOT.

1. One is a work out suit, one is a cute poly dress that goes over poly leggings.

2. I no longer wear shoes.... only flip flops and crocs that I wash every day.

3. I found black bugs in my old coat closet near the shoes so I took all the shoes out and put them in a garbage back and sprayed with Sterifab.

I am getting ready to get some no pest strips and hang em in my cars and the bags of shoes. I am afraid of the pesticide in those but getting desparate.

My vet claims to be a parasitolgist, maybe He can help my cats, I Will report back after the Monday afternoon appointment.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#12 Mar 20, 2010
I forgot to address your question about closets and dressers. I have not put any more clothing in there, and have not taken much out either. I live out of one box of clothing, my two outfits mainly and sometimes an old pair of jammies that I have to wear if my body is greasy from sulfur cream or other treatments.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#13 Mar 20, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
bitey - what about buying yourself an air mattress for $11.88 at walmart in the camping section, that you can wash it off with water.?? not the velor kind. It's made by Ozark and it is all vinyl.
It was a huge turning point for me. After I discovered this air mattress, I realized that I didn't have to do so much laundry, spend so much money on laundry, hot water, dryer. The dryer pulls alot of electricity. I didn't have to do the back breaking cleaning of the vinyl covers on the bed, and all the work involved with a very very heavy queen sized bed. After I bought the air mattress I stopped getting reinfested from my bed, which had 2 covers on the mattress and 2 vinyl covers on the box springs.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#14 Mar 20, 2010
Joe, where did you put the air mattress, I am going to get one. I am afraid to place it in the dining room or family room because even those areas may be infested.
buggie

United States

#15 Mar 20, 2010
Bitey, this is crazy. You are as infested as I was november 2009 before I got best yet by cedarcide. I was near suicidal. It saved my life and I was able to start a job in a 1000 person call center loaded with computers and carpet and cloth office chairs. Those items are mite magnets.
My mites were on the floor and jump. That's collembola. You do not want to sleep near or on the floor!
Star taking ivermectin asap. Google my posts (I type on a cellphone...hard) details regarding laundry and products.
The plastic covers from walmart are great. Use 3 on each mattress and boxspring. Incredible that they didn't work for joe. Get rid of mattress if they don't work. Costco has a big air mattress for $119. Burn quilts and big bedspreads. I bought mattress topper tempurpedic and have 2 plastic covers on it. Comfy full nights sleep since the beginning because I have control over my laundry.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#16 Mar 20, 2010
Bitey wrote:
Joe, where did you put the air mattress, I am going to get one. I am afraid to place it in the dining room or family room because even those areas may be infested.
it's on the ceramic tiled floor in my bedroom. I saw a video where this guy was using a small cot to sleep on, so his "bed" was off the floor.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#17 Mar 20, 2010
I got bit in my car today by some black kind of bug. It drew blood, there were 4 on my exposed lower legs. I grabbed one and it was hard. Almost sharp. I could see it, barely. I ran upstairs to look under the scope but forgot my husband hid it. I lost the bug out of my hand ...somewhere, It is probably multiplying now.

Afraid to take iver. Will use it topically though.
Vizio

Columbus, OH

#18 Mar 21, 2010
Bitey,

I'm sorry to hear that you were bit in your car. I'm not sure what type of bug it would be. What are you spraying your car with? I find Lysol really helps me but I also use the no pest strips in my laundry. I have two hanging in my closet now and I am washing all of those clothes. This is after I had them in plastic trash bags for a couple of days with the no pest strips in them. I think one I opened too soon because I could feel the bugs on my face. I through the clothes in the washer on hot, got rid of the plastic bag outside, and cleaned the washer, dryer, and walls really good around my laundry area. I took my first dose of iver last night. I took it internally but I didn't sleep well. I don't think from the iver though. It just seemed they were restless last night after my shower. I didn't really have any side effects...I'm not as tired as I thought I would be today but I am getting lots of things out of my skin. I'm just wiping off with a tissue for now and flushing down the toilet...
Bitey

Portland, OR

#19 Mar 21, 2010
Hi Vizio,

Last night I got desperate and tried those OFF FANS that people can wear to ward off bugs. I put one little fan with the OFF in it in each car overnight. We will see what happens they..... are good for 12 hours.

Also, I found my microscope that my H had hid and looked at the ones I could see. They were reddish black and i was able to get them off with tape. Looked like a different type of mite than I had seen before. Maybe when I went to the feed store to buy my iver, I got them off the hay in there.

I rehid the microscope so he would not know i found it.

I did look at the bottom of my feet and finally it seems I am getting closer to the mite infestation there. I am taking off 1/4 inch of calluses a little at a time and soon I will get to the mite trails. I soaked my feet in 1 part (bleach) to 4 parts of warm water. Years ago, this was a recipe from a doctor to cure fungus on my toenails. So I knew it was safe and had done it before. You try and keep the feet in there for 15-20 minutes, it starts stinging near the end. Then you rinse the feeties very well.

I also got desparate....so I took some Lice shampoo I had and covered my body and washed my hair with it. I had seen some white "eggs" much like the kitties had...in the back of my hair near my neck area. So I used the lice shampoo on that area especially. HAd a good night sleep last night no biting or anything. Of course I had clean sheets, etc. Will be doing that every day too.

I am ordering some Cederside today.

I hear you about the restless mite activity. Seems like every 4 or 5 days I would get the "restless mites".

Once when I did a bleach bath, they really came out all night. The first time I did the Perm they came out all that night and next day. I think we stir them up sometimes, that is why people say it gets worse before it gets better.

Once I rubbed in Sulfur cream and a bunch of stuff came up. I had to keep wiping it. Another time I rubbed it in...nothing.

I rubbed foot cream on my feet the first time and a bunch of stuff came up. Then I did it three more times and less came up. Now there is nothing when I use the foot cream.

Also there are times when the mites are being born and crawling out. And times when they dont.

It is all so frustrating fighting an invisable enemy.

Hang in there, I found another nylon outfit so I wore it and will wash it today.

I will report back on my vet appointment tomorrow afternoon. I am taking the pictures of the white stuff in the kitties fur and also the literature on Cheyletiella. Hopefully the vet will cure my cats.

Well, on to washing!

Have a happy day, all.

Bitey
Bitey

Portland, OR

#20 Mar 21, 2010
Visio, when you put the Iver on your skin, did mites come out? I am going to try this today with my Ivermectin. Put a little straight on my skin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Take it to the next level: Albendazole and Praz... (Jul '13) 12 hr Jeff 53
Input on symptoms and intended treatment plan 21 hr Itchy in Canada 5
Bird Mites (Jul '07) Fri 777dsutter 94
5% Perm / Eprinex Iver Pour On / 1% Iver Oral /... Fri Aas 2
Can scabies stay designated to just one area of... Fri Aas 2
bleach bath recommended by dermatologist (Aug '07) Fri Djz 658
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Fri eldnorthwest 4,812
More from around the web