Benzumul Burns!!

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Has anyone had this problem? I just got some benzumul application from National Pharmacies and I applied like they said (with a soft brush) but I had major burning in my arm pits and inner elbows, so I had to wash it all off b/c it hurt so bad...definitely a chemical burn. I did a 10-minute test beforehand and it didn't burn so I figured I was good to go.

I guess I have to dilute it? Anyone out there use Benzumul successfully to get rid of scabies? I'm kind of scared to try it again...

Thx in advance....
MISERABLE IN SA

AOL

#2 Feb 12, 2008
Scabies Sufferer in FL,
It was the water which made you burn badly. Several other posters had the same problem.
Dab a little on a small area - with no water and see how you do. Good Luck. MIS

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Feb 12, 2008
MISERABLE IN SA wrote:
Scabies Sufferer in FL,
It was the water which made you burn badly. Several other posters had the same problem.
Dab a little on a small area - with no water and see how you do. Good Luck. MIS
I didn't mix it with any water...just used it straight when it started burning. The bottle said to dilute it with water if it starts to sting and burn but I wanted to post this first to see what kind of response I'd get. I'll have to try it diluted tomorrow. Thx.
Mite Killer

United States

#4 Feb 12, 2008
Arm pits and inner elbows = moisture = Sweat! that's water......
Mis knows.
Scabies3

Deerfield Beach, FL

#5 Feb 13, 2008
Scabies Sufferer in FL wrote:
Has anyone had this problem? I just got some benzumul application from National Pharmacies and I applied like they said (with a soft brush) but I had major burning in my arm pits and inner elbows, so I had to wash it all off b/c it hurt so bad...definitely a chemical burn. I did a 10-minute test beforehand and it didn't burn so I figured I was good to go.
I guess I have to dilute it? Anyone out there use Benzumul successfully to get rid of scabies? I'm kind of scared to try it again...
Thx in advance....
Do not be afraid of these meds. Just don't mix water with benzyl benzoate lotion. Let's say you put some on your face, and it starts to burn because your face has thin, sensitive skin. You go to the skin and start to rinse this med off your face, and by this, you are mixing water with it. When water is mixed with BB, it will create another burn. So, don't get near water, from 2-50 minutes after applying. I call it the BB burn dance.
Scabies3

Deerfield Beach, FL

#6 Feb 13, 2008
I meant to say, you go to the sink and start to rinse it off......
Steven

Frankston, TX

#7 Feb 13, 2008
I had the exact same problem. Except, I didn't bother reading the warning label like a dumbass, and put it on my face. After a little while it started to burn really bad, so then I washed it off, and it burned even worse. My skin's too messed up to use this stuff all over, but it's definitely good for areas where the skins tougher. What I would do is use sulfur on my face and sensitive parts of my skin, and then use benzumul everywhere else, that way I would have total coverage.
Pauly

United States

#8 Feb 13, 2008
Mite Killer wrote:
Mis knows.
Then why does the label say to dilute it with water if it burns and stings? Now I'm thoroughly confused...

United States

#9 Feb 13, 2008
Mite Killer wrote:
Mis knows.
Ok, but the label says that if the product burns, then dilute it with water so that it isn't as strong. Can you elaborate on your theory? I'm confused...Thx
Scabies3

Deerfield Beach, FL

#10 Feb 14, 2008
<quoted text>
Ok, but the label says that if the product burns, then dilute it with water so that it isn't as strong. Can you elaborate on your theory? I'm confused...Thx
label from what? what is the brand name? is it benzemul? all i know is, if you are burning and jump in the shower to rinse it, it will still burn because benzyl benzoate, when mixed with water, will create a burn, especially, if applied within the last 20-30 minutes. seems to be okay if you wait a couple of hours and then wash it off.

Jacksonville, FL

#11 Feb 14, 2008
Scabies3 wrote:
<quoted text>
label from what? what is the brand name? is it benzemul? all i know is, if you are burning and jump in the shower to rinse it, it will still burn because benzyl benzoate, when mixed with water, will create a burn, especially, if applied within the last 20-30 minutes. seems to be okay if you wait a couple of hours and then wash it off.
Yes, I'm reading from the label of the "Benzemul Application" which contains 250 mg of Benzyl Benzoate. I bought it from National Pharmacies in Australia. The maker is McGloins PTY, Ltd. As a caution on the label, it says "Lotion may sting or burn. Test on a small area of skin for 10 minutes before general use. If excessive stinging occurs, dilute with an equal quantity of water then retest. Avoid contact with face, neck and eyes."

I had tested it beforehand on the inside of my arm and it didn't sting at all. I think it had more to do with the fact that it was stinging and burning on very sensitive areas...i.e., my inner elbows and armpits, where I had just shaved. The stinging was so bad that I couldn't even wait it out, and I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so I had to wash it off with some soap. After doing so, the burning instantly went away on my inner elbows but it did take about 10 minutes for the burning of my armpits to subside.

I'm still not sure how to proceed as the burning was so bad, I really don't want to duplicate that experience again...and your opinion is that if I add water to it, it will make it burn more? Maybe that's why they say to dilute with an equal amount of water instead of just a little bit? I don't know...I'm not sure what to do or if I even want to use it again...
Scabies3

Deerfield Beach, FL

#12 Feb 14, 2008
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm reading from the label of the "Benzemul Application" which contains 250 mg of Benzyl Benzoate. I bought it from National Pharmacies in Australia. The maker is McGloins PTY, Ltd. As a caution on the label, it says "Lotion may sting or burn. Test on a small area of skin for 10 minutes before general use. If excessive stinging occurs, dilute with an equal quantity of water then retest. Avoid contact with face, neck and eyes."
I had tested it beforehand on the inside of my arm and it didn't sting at all. I think it had more to do with the fact that it was stinging and burning on very sensitive areas...i.e., my inner elbows and armpits, where I had just shaved. The stinging was so bad that I couldn't even wait it out, and I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so I had to wash it off with some soap. After doing so, the burning instantly went away on my inner elbows but it did take about 10 minutes for the burning of my armpits to subside.
I'm still not sure how to proceed as the burning was so bad, I really don't want to duplicate that experience again...and your opinion is that if I add water to it, it will make it burn more? Maybe that's why they say to dilute with an equal amount of water instead of just a little bit? I don't know...I'm not sure what to do or if I even want to use it again...
then follow the instructions on the label and add water to it before application to SENSITIVE areas.

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Feb 14, 2008
Scabies3 wrote:
<quoted text>
then follow the instructions on the label and add water to it before application to SENSITIVE areas.
Ok, thanks for the advice...but I don't understand your need to give me an attitude when I'm just trying to clarify what your reasoning was. We're all in the same boat and trying to learn here.
Mite Killer

United States

#14 Feb 14, 2008
<quoted text>
Scabies Sufferer and Pauly,

I don't know why the product says to delute with water. It must have other ingredients besides the BB. I think others who have used the ready made product have felt a burn. I purchased 100% BB and made my own 24% mix. It's soluable with either oil or alcohol. After applied it would burn, if for instance during the night I perspired. I put it on my face below my eyes and if my eyes teared down my cheeks(probably from crying about mites)it would burn. But by morning I could take a shower without a burning sensation.

I think Sam could answer this, I think he used what you have.

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#15 Feb 15, 2008
Mite Killer wrote:
<quoted text>
Scabies Sufferer and Pauly,
I don't know why the product says to delute with water. It must have other ingredients besides the BB. I think others who have used the ready made product have felt a burn. I purchased 100% BB and made my own 24% mix. It's soluable with either oil or alcohol. After applied it would burn, if for instance during the night I perspired. I put it on my face below my eyes and if my eyes teared down my cheeks(probably from crying about mites)it would burn. But by morning I could take a shower without a burning sensation.
I think Sam could answer this, I think he used what you have.
Ok, thanks! I think I will try to dilute it with olive oil as I think alcohol might be too drying.
Mite Killer

United States

#16 Feb 15, 2008
<quoted text>
Ok, thanks! I think I will try to dilute it with olive oil as I think alcohol might be too drying.
Or sesame oil which is a synergist and should increase potency since it's being deluted this may help do the job.
Scabies3

Deerfield Beach, FL

#17 Feb 15, 2008
<quoted text>
Ok, thanks for the advice...but I don't understand your need to give me an attitude when I'm just trying to clarify what your reasoning was. We're all in the same boat and trying to learn here.
No attitude. I just didn't know it said to add water to it, if it is burning you. I was only trying to help you out here.
Welty

AOL

#18 Feb 15, 2008
Mite Killer, Good call on the Sweat = water! Sad about the tears, and thank you for preventing some for so many of us with your advice.
reallyinpain

Australia

#19 Mar 15, 2008
i put some on my stomach to test, nothing happened i put it all over my body, like my armpits, around groin, under chest and legs and my armpits, under chest and around groin is really burning, so i went straight under the shower and washed it off but now it burns more, should i wait a couple of days then try again or what??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies 6 hr Yaya 1
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 7 hr Trythis 1,529
Freeze instead of washing clothes (Dec '08) 18 hr G scales 31
One Herbalist's Scabies Cure (Feb '11) Thu Julsbbw 40
Skin Mites Support Group--join us! (May '16) Thu Kristy 10
Getting Rid Of The EGGS! -- one method that works. (Jun '09) Thu Azure 55
arm & hammer (Sep '09) Thu shirleyB 1,027
More from around the web