Effective Mite Eradication of Furnitu...

Effective Mite Eradication of Furniture and Carpet?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Infested

Newfield, NY

#1 Oct 18, 2008
I've read conflicting information from "authorized" sources regarding effective mite eradication in the home, so I figured I'd check with people who've actually been through this hell. According to the "experts," if it kills fleas, it will also kill our enemy: the mite.

Do permethrin-based products actually kill these things when sprayed on furniture? I've considered Knockout ES or Ultracide, both of which contain IGR. If not, how do you best treat furniture? Do I need to be concerned about non-carpeted and non-upholstered areas?

Mite Killer

United States

#2 Oct 18, 2008
the most simple thing to do is leave the house vacant for a couple weeks, the mites will die without a host.

While you're gone, or can't leave and still home: all household members are treating with a scabicide. the most inexpensive treatment is sulfur. it can be mixed in vasoline, body lotion, liquid soap, shampoo, hair conditioner and pet shampoo.

Humco flowers of sulfur powder is sold at compounding pharmacies or online. It's under $6 a jar.

I mixed it with vasoline for a full body treatment and was so hot and sweaty I couldn't sleep...but it kills mites. After that major kill, now I keep my body cream mixed with sulfur and use it full body every day. And it's in my liquid bath soap and my shampoo.

Keep the sitting areas covered with sheets and wash them in hot water and borax or bleach after use. Sweep borax into the carpet. I've bombed with Raid Fumigator, it's 12% Permethrin. it helps. Keep your cats out of there until you've aired it out really well. I had to isolate my cats in a large breakdown kennel while they were being treated to prevent reinfestation.

Since: Oct 08

Newfield, NY

#3 Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for the wealth of information, Mite Killer!

I've ordered the Humco powder. Did you use a blender to mix the vaseline and powder? Was it easy to mix together? Have you had any irritation now that you're mixing it with non-petroleum cream/shampoo? I read somewhere that it has to be mixed with petroleum to be safe. But it seems like what works in the literature vs the real world are two different things entirely.

What treatment did you use on your cats?
Mite Killer

United States

#4 Oct 18, 2008
Infested wrote:
Thanks for the wealth of information, Mite Killer!
I've ordered the Humco powder. Did you use a blender to mix the vaseline and powder? Was it easy to mix together? Have you had any irritation now that you're mixing it with non-petroleum cream/shampoo? I read somewhere that it has to be mixed with petroleum to be safe. But it seems like what works in the literature vs the real world are two different things entirely.
What treatment did you use on your cats?
I'm not the best sulfur mixer and I got a rash and some skin peeling on my neck and chest the first time I used sulfur probably due to poor mixing. I break up the lumps in the mix with my fingers and smear it on. It's shaken in a bottle for my liquid concoctions. No more rash and it's working. I think it helps to dry and heal the bumps more quickly too.

Cats were treated with several injections of dectomax and bi-monthly spot on topicals either Revolution or Advantage Multi. I washed their bedding every single day(old towels). and I still do and probably always will.
Welty

AOL

#5 Oct 22, 2008
Hi Infested, Sam liked the Acrosan powder (avail at National Allergy, call or online) or Arcrosan spray for these. It's benzul Benzoate based and is for mites. You brush it into the carpet, then vacuum. it is actually labled for mites, dust mites, but Sam liked it for these. An application lasts four weeks. I really don't know about colorfastness, but I didn't have fading on anything I used it on. I like DeFlea pet and area spray for small areas that you want something safe on, as it's non-toxic. I use it on my cat's scratching post weekly, the rest of the week I steam it with a steam iron. It's sisal and doesn't burn or melt. DeFlea is labeled for mites on the website. It's good for steering wheels, etc. I've used this stuff on myself even on my scalp when it was really bad and it seemed to help a lot, but no nice smell so add a drop of mint or orange to it. It dissolves the mites in under a minute, so rinse off fast, it's very drying. It is good for vaccum brushes, when you are done vacumming, in case mites are in the brushes. It works as a dessicant and dries them up. It's too pricey to use on a full carpet, so I save it for my couch mostly, and spray it weekly. It kills what's there, but doesn't leave a residual so you have to be faithful. But it's non-toxic to us. I've also used it on my cat's feet once and it helped. Rinse well. I have changed my mind about Fleabusters Rx for mites, a powder. It wasn't effective, as my rugs had a teflon coating and it didn't stay in well enough, but if you have wall to wall, then maybe. Look for things that kill ticks or spiders, other arachnids. I also like SteriFab for my bathroom floor. I like plain windex. But for carpets, the Arcosan seems good. Also good for car seats. It kind of dissolves them. That's the way to go. Perm may not kill them like other stuff will. Ask a garden store. One vet recommended Sevin dust (garden store) to somebody who had Chielatella mites. Do My Own Pest control has some suggestions about mite control. I have to watch Perm things because I have a cat.
nursing mom

Edinboro, PA

#6 Oct 22, 2008
I read of someone who successfully used 20 mule team borax on their carpets. Vacuumed it up every 5 days and put it down again. Anybody else have sucess with borax for their carpets??
Welty

AOL

#7 Oct 22, 2008
It would get expensive if you have these for long. Because a box of borax is about five bucks or so, X's every week, and well, I have been battling for the better part of a year. I will admit I made some mistakes that cost me some time and compounded my problem at the beginning, so don't go by me. It could be much faster for you. If you want to go the Borax route, Fleabusters powder (Sodium Borate) has an electrostatic charge that should stay in the carpet for a year. I had all my rugs treated with some kind of teflon spray about five years ago, and it resisted the Fleabusters powder's electrostatic charge and was vaccummed up the first time. It's a powder that you brush in with a broom in all carpets, but not for couches or chairs, it would "poof", and is not recommended. You should not get borax into cuts. But my Mom used Fleabusters powder for fleas a few years back and it killed every flea in a few weeks and lasted for over a year. Dried up. So, I don't know. If you add salt to borax it's more effective 50/50, and cheaper, or use the Fleabusters to last for a year. It's forty bucks that did not work that long for me. Luckily, I did not vaccum for a week and I think it killed off everything, but when I vacuumed the teflon resisted it and it was in the canister. It's pretty safe for pets, anyway. It is labeled for mites, but if you have a stain resistant coating, I don't know if will stay a year like it's supposed to. It was close to 40 dollars. Another big $$$ that did not work in my case, but I think it would work if your carpet is regular.(It stayed in fine in my bedroom carpet). Which is still a pretty good place. Now it's mostly daily vacumming in the living room. Here's another idea, go to National Allergy online and look up the product called Dustmite and Flea Control. It's sodium borate that you mix with water and spray. Catchy brand name, I know. It's made by Ecology works. It stays in fabrics very well. You mix it with water and then put it in a spray bottle. It is sodium borate. I mixed it up at a very heavy concentration and put it on my bedspread, because it was too heavy to wash all the time. It worked well. I broke down and bought a mite proof duvet and wash that with sheets, but not the comforter, and to tell you the truth, I think the bedspread with this stuff worked better. And it lasts for several months. It costs aout l5 dollars for 8 oz, which makes a gallon (half gallon at my concentration). Anyway, it's pet safe. I mostly have rugs, but I often wonder if wood floors are worse, no matter what anybody says, because of all the cracks and there's nothing to hold a substance in, like with fabrics and floor coverings. There is something called Archer at DoMyOwnPestControl online, that is labeled for mites, and has an IGR. But it's 50 dollars. I think it might work really well. The Sevin Dust is supposed to work well, and bird mite people also swear by Bayer pest spray. They are different and I don't know about cats. They are so dang fragile.
Welty

AOL

#8 Oct 22, 2008
Nursing Mom, is your baby crawling yet? Because if so, you don't want them crawling on borax treated carpets. Borax (or any of the Borate products I mentioned) is non-toxic except for if you ingest it. If you have a baby, don't put them down in the viccinity. Maybe the Borax with salt is best for you, because it WON'T stay in the rugs. Because babies constantly have their hands in their mouths. It's not great for that, probably as bad as perm. Borates are very toxic if ingested, it just usually doesn't happen. You can use a shower curtain on a play area on the floor with borax under. Just be aware. If baby can't crawl yet, don't be too worried, you have enough things to worry about, I'm sure. How are things going?

Since: Oct 08

Newfield, NY

#9 Oct 22, 2008
"I often wonder if wood floors are worse, no matter what anybody says, because of all the cracks and there's nothing to hold a substance in...."

I've long pondered the same, infernal question, Welty. Our flooring is predominantly wood with only two bedrooms carpeted. Not surprisingly, the majority of the biting goes on in the non-carpeted areas. I'll have to look into DoMyOwnPestControl. Thanks so much for the tip.

Nursing Mom, we used FleaBusters at a previous residence and had great success eradicating fleas. We tried it here and unfortunately it has not demonstrated any effectiveness with our variety of demonic mite. I suspect this monster is much hardier than the "experts" would have us believe.

Welty

AOL

#10 Oct 24, 2008
I think orange oil based sprays on a swiffer is somewhat helpful for wood floors. I use the plain swiffer (dry) mop with a paper towel and use that. Linalool, orange peel stuff, is something that kills mites. I've changed my mind about vaccums. I think that vaccums do pick them up. I thought for a long time that they just clung to fabrics. But I think they get sucked up. I spray the brushes lightly with DeFlea pet and area spray afterward to kill them off of the brushes. I turn the vac over and spritz lightly directly on the brushes. It gives me a thrill to think that I'm getting them collectively. I started out thinking that Borax in the carpet was better than vaccuming, but I've definitely changed my mind. It does help to vaccum.
Welty

AOL

#11 Oct 24, 2008
To vaccum several times a week instead of weekly with borax in.
Itty Bitty Critters

United States

#12 Oct 25, 2008
Infested wrote:
"I often wonder if wood floors are worse, no matter what anybody says, because of all the cracks and there's nothing to hold a substance in...."
I've long pondered the same, infernal question, Welty. Our flooring is predominantly wood with only two bedrooms carpeted. Not surprisingly, the majority of the biting goes on in the non-carpeted areas. I'll have to look into DoMyOwnPestControl. Thanks so much for the tip.
Nursing Mom, we used FleaBusters at a previous residence and had great success eradicating fleas. We tried it here and unfortunately it has not demonstrated any effectiveness with our variety of demonic mite. I suspect this monster is much hardier than the "experts" would have us believe.
It's possible that you might have bird mites. check out the birdmitesorg yahoo group and join. or read the birdmites.org website. yeah, these definitely are demonic mites. that's for sure.
I'm surprised that you get more bites from the non-carpeted areas. i would think your bites would be from the carpeted areas.
someone mentioned using nylar (an insect growth regulator), and it can be bought at that website called doyourownpestcontrol.com . they have some powerful things you can buy there for your mites.
Infested

Newfield, NY

#13 Oct 26, 2008
Thank you for the links, Itty Bitty! I've been wondering about the bird mite thing myself and checked out the site you suggested. But I wasn't able to locate the prevalence of the mite in cats, which is where we were caught this miserable condition in the first place. Does anyone happen to know the stats on how the bird mite is most often acquired? I assume it's from birds, but with the adaptation prowess of these things, I refrain from jumping to conclusions.

We spend most time in the uncarpeted area of the house, so maybe that's why we experience more mite activity there. But that's just a guess. The poor little stray who infected us also had fleas. We eradicated them with flea traps, fleabusters rx, and expensive flea area permetherin sprays. Even then, the majority of fleas were caught in the wooded floor area. Damn things get into the grooves, cracks, crevices and trim. The fleas were still a walk in the park compared to these freakin' mites. None of the above methods were effective on Satan's spawn.
Concerned

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Feb 3, 2013
What if ur allergic to sulfate?
Mite Killer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the best sulfur mixer and I got a rash and some skin peeling on my neck and chest the first time I used sulfur probably due to poor mixing. I break up the lumps in the mix with my fingers and smear it on. It's shaken in a bottle for my liquid concoctions. No more rash and it's working. I think it helps to dry and heal the bumps more quickly too.
Cats were treated with several injections of dectomax and bi-monthly spot on topicals either Revolution or Advantage Multi. I washed their bedding every single day(old towels). and I still do and probably always will.
Daniel

Corsicana, TX

#16 Dec 29, 2013
Best thing for massive kill is turn your water heater up to max then rent a carpet cleaner use the super hot water which is now over 150 degrees and that kills them in the carpet now get viper insecticide and spray ceiling they love to hang on the ceiling for some reason do this and you will see better living condictions
Angela

Marshfield, MA

#17 Dec 29, 2013
What is viper insecticide.
Pallie

United States

#18 May 15, 2014
Mites of all kinds also live in and on tile floors. Use a borax and orange oil solution in a steam floor cleaner. Half a cup of borax and half a cup of orange oil to a gallon of water. Then use a cup of baking soda in gallon of water and do the floors again. The first solution kills and destroys the mites and the baking soda solution stops the harmful properties of any left over borax that remain on the floor. You can also use these solutions on counter-tops and other porous surfaces around the home. If you decide to use a solution like this for carpet change the orange oil to lemon oil to prevent discoloration in the carpet. Use the baking soda solution there too to cut the oil and remove the harmful borax properties.
Iamdying here

Abbotsford, Canada

#19 Aug 4, 2014
Can these mites get into books, papers and lay eggs? As well if there are no birds (natural host) can they bite humans for a blood meal to lay their eggs? Is there a fogger that will kill bird mites?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you get new bumps after post-scabies? (Sep '11) 3 hr I hate scabies 245
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 3 hr Bryan b 4,507
dead sea salt (Feb '12) 4 hr deniseg 24
tetmosol soap... (Sep '07) 8 hr Nara 96
Collembola/Springtails (Jan '13) Sun stopthecrawl 549
Equimax (ivermectin 1.87%) (Aug '08) Sun swampman 18
scabies begone Sat beenthere 1
More from around the web