Scabies but no rash, just itching & c...

Scabies but no rash, just itching & crawling feeling

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
scratching my head

United States

#1 Mar 5, 2012
A mother of 1 of my friends kids was kind to inform me that her kids had scabies. Before that I had taken my 2 youngest to the dr & was told they were allergic...blah blah. After being informed about the scabies thing I immediately took my kids to the ER w/ the news of a possible scabies infection & one look @ my 2 youngest & dr confirmed that they had it. As a precaution me & my oldest son did treatment too.

After 1st treatment we were fine but then I started feeling like something was crawling on my eyes, scalp & nose. Started treatment again but didnt do permethrin again because it scares me so I did borax, bleach, all the oils...etc. I will say coal tar shampoo (from family dollar $3) worked for our scalps & clear eyes complete 7 symptoms ($5 & I would put this on a Q-tip & gently swab inside nose & ears also) along w/ plenty of vaseline slabbed on worked completely for the above the neck.

Was clear again for a while until I saw 1 of the little boys scratching yesterday. My kids still haven't scratched & say they're fine but now I'm feeling the crawling & itching again but no bumps, rashes or the other symptoms. Went & got more permethrin but still scared to use it (def will though on all of us) but just curious as to if anyone has had this w/o the rash, bumps, burrowing etc. Before I go putting this on us again.
Ryan

Thunder Bay, Canada

#2 Mar 5, 2012
This sounds typical with post scabies as you will still see the odd rash or bump.

http://ScabiesHelpNow.com
RRRRRR

Round Rock, TX

#3 Mar 5, 2012
I would go ahead and use the perm. The first time I used perm and ivermectin, my skin cleared up, but I proceeded to have itching and crawling and it's been 5 years on-going so far. I never thought it may be scabies still, until someone else started to show symptoms after dating me
Desperate girl

Euless, TX

#4 Mar 5, 2012
scratching my head wrote:
A mother of 1 of my friends kids was kind to inform me that her kids had scabies. Before that I had taken my 2 youngest to the dr & was told they were allergic...blah blah. After being informed about the scabies thing I immediately took my kids to the ER w/ the news of a possible scabies infection & one look @ my 2 youngest & dr confirmed that they had it. As a precaution me & my oldest son did treatment too.
After 1st treatment we were fine but then I started feeling like something was crawling on my eyes, scalp & nose. Started treatment again but didnt do permethrin again because it scares me so I did borax, bleach, all the oils...etc. I will say coal tar shampoo (from family dollar $3) worked for our scalps & clear eyes complete 7 symptoms ($5 & I would put this on a Q-tip & gently swab inside nose & ears also) along w/ plenty of vaseline slabbed on worked completely for the above the neck.
Was clear again for a while until I saw 1 of the little boys scratching yesterday. My kids still haven't scratched & say they're fine but now I'm feeling the crawling & itching again but no bumps, rashes or the other symptoms. Went & got more permethrin but still scared to use it (def will though on all of us) but just curious as to if anyone has had this w/o the rash, bumps, burrowing etc. Before I go putting this on us again.
Yes, in the beginning I found a couple bites. We know it's scabies because our new puppy got diagnosed with sarcoptic mange(scabies). That's when all this nightmare started:/. But now I don't have bites & burrows. I just have the crawling everywhere(especially on my face)& the pinpricks.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#5 Mar 6, 2012
Desperate girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, in the beginning I found a couple bites. We know it's scabies because our new puppy got diagnosed with sarcoptic mange(scabies). That's when all this nightmare started:/. But now I don't have bites & burrows. I just have the crawling everywhere(especially on my face)& the pinpricks.
Does anyone here have a theory on the possibility of either contraction or exposure to scabies causing an outbreak of demodex mites? I was exposed to scabies over 6 months ago, and have been finally diagnosed with demodicosis. I found a population explosion of demodex in my microscope and after 8 assotered doctors telling me eczema, hives, dry skin, foliculitus. For a good 3 weeks, I was happy as hell when, 2 months ago, a 3rd doctor told me I didn't get the scabies I was exposed to. But less than a month later the unmistakable facial and scalp crawling sensations and tingling and transient rash on my stomach forced me to buy a microscope. I found too many demodex by scraping the tickling areas with a knife tip saturated with canola oil. A few days after the opthamologist diagnosed me with blepharitis, I did the crazy lady thing, brought in alides and video and was diagnosed with demodicosis. She prescribed tee tree oil and diagnosed my stomach with eczema, which I find doubtful...

Anyway, anyone here think there may be a connection with scabies and demodex?

Location hidden

#6 Mar 6, 2012
Also, a friend, not the one responsible (if I can even call it that) for my direct exposure, but in that same "group", was cured with 3 rounds of permethrin.

Location hidden

#7 Mar 6, 2012
Sorry for another post, but I need to clarify that by doing "the crazy lady thing" I meant that I brought the slides and several videos of what the slides contained (squirming demodex mites) to the dermatologist, in addition to the recent update from the opthamologist of a blepharitis diagnosis.
Desperate girl

Euless, TX

#8 Mar 6, 2012
asymptomatic wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone here have a theory on the possibility of either contraction or exposure to scabies causing an outbreak of demodex mites? I was exposed to scabies over 6 months ago, and have been finally diagnosed with demodicosis. I found a population explosion of demodex in my microscope and after 8 assotered doctors telling me eczema, hives, dry skin, foliculitus. For a good 3 weeks, I was happy as hell when, 2 months ago, a 3rd doctor told me I didn't get the scabies I was exposed to. But less than a month later the unmistakable facial and scalp crawling sensations and tingling and transient rash on my stomach forced me to buy a microscope. I found too many demodex by scraping the tickling areas with a knife tip saturated with canola oil. A few days after the opthamologist diagnosed me with blepharitis, I did the crazy lady thing, brought in alides and video and was diagnosed with demodicosis. She prescribed tee tree oil and diagnosed my stomach with eczema, which I find doubtful...
Anyway, anyone here think there may be a connection with scabies and demodex?
At this point, I think anything is possible. Mine have gotten so bad that I'm in a hotel away from my family now. I hadn't had sleep in over week, am down to 105lbs.. They're all over my face at night trying to get into ears, nose, mouth , etc.. I've tried it all. This is my last resort.
What do you do for demodex mites? What is belapharits?
RRRRRR

Round Rock, TX

#9 Mar 6, 2012
That's weird. Is there a connection between Blepharitis and scabies? I got diagnosed with Blepharitis about 9 months after I got diagnosed with scabies. Blepharitis is the swelling of the eyelid, eye irritation basically. I had to stop wearing contacts for 2 years and I switched to dailies
RRRRRR

Round Rock, TX

#10 Mar 6, 2012
BTW I'm only 24 years old, I was daignosed with Blepharitis extremely young for that condition.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 7, 2012
Desperate girl wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point, I think anything is possible. Mine have gotten so bad that I'm in a hotel away from my family now. I hadn't had sleep in over week, am down to 105lbs.. They're all over my face at night trying to get into ears, nose, mouth , etc.. I've tried it all. This is my last resort.
What do you do for demodex mites? What is belapharits?
According to my doctor, you treat the face with 50/50 tea tree oil/macadamia oil. But since I don't think what's on my stomach is eczema, and since after 5 night with the above treatment on my face, I can still feel crawling, I'm going to see another derm and beg for something more hardcore.
Marilyn

Houston, TX

#13 Mar 10, 2012
asymptomatic wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway, anyone here think there may be a connection with scabies and demodex
I am so glad that someone brought this up. I have been fighting scabies since last May but I think in the last month, I have finally gotten rid of them. However, I know have something else going on and I think it's demodex mites. I have crawling on my face and upper body that I cannot seem to get rid of. The derm gave me a topical sulfur cream which is not working. Although during the day it's not too bad, at night apparently they get active and it is horrible. I cannot sleep unless I take ambien. I don't believe this is still scabies since I am not getting bitten or itching like crazy. I have gone back to using topical advantix for dogs on my body, 5% perm on my face, and oral ivermectin. I just hate doing this to myself since I have no idea what the long term consequences might be but it seems the only way to at least "manage" this situation. I am not for sure what is going on, but it is some kind of mite since I cannot see them but can certainly feel them particularly during the night. I do get some relief when I use all the "poisons" but I am not sure how long I am going to have to keep this up in order to completely eradicate this. Any suggestions or other treatments that might work but not be so toxic?? I still cannot believe that I have gone from one mite to another. WTF??? Am I just a "mite magnet"?? And do you think that there really is a connection between scabies and demodex mites? Until I read your post, I had never heard anyone mention this.
FRED

Denver, CO

#14 Mar 10, 2012
i've been working through something similar, i had them in my eyes too. something i tried and worked up to is topical ivermectin. I use the horse paste and it is working really well, i'm on day 6 and the mite activity is completely gone, nada. read the "ivermectin topical dose" thread for more info..........
Marilyn

Houston, TX

#15 Mar 10, 2012
FRED wrote:
i've been working through something similar, i had them in my eyes too. something i tried and worked up to is topical ivermectin. I use the horse paste and it is working really well, i'm on day 6 and the mite activity is completely gone, nada. read the "ivermectin topical dose" thread for more info..........
Fred--

Thanks for the suggestion--is there a difference between the horse paste and the pour-on ivermectin other than the fact that one is a liquid and the other is not? If so, do you think that the paste is a more effective form?
Desperate girl

Euless, TX

#16 Mar 10, 2012
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Fred--
Thanks for the suggestion--is there a difference between the horse paste and the pour-on ivermectin other than the fact that one is a liquid and the other is not? If so, do you think that the paste is a more effective form?
Marilyn- oh my gosh! This is exactly what's happening with me!! I literally thought I was the only one! I have no more bites & haven't for awhile & don't feel too much during day but they are all over my face especially at night! I know I had scabies because my son & I both got them from our new puppy that the vet found scabie eggs on. And, I infected my mom now but she doesn't have them too much on her face. In the beginning they weren't on my face. Now, I can't get them off! Everyone keeps trying to get me to go to doc but I know if I do, they'll think I'm crazy because don't have anymore bites/burrows to show them!

Location hidden

#17 Mar 12, 2012
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so glad that someone brought this up. I have been fighting scabies since last May but I think in the last month, I have finally gotten rid of them. However, I know have something else going on and I think it's demodex mites. I have crawling on my face and upper body that I cannot seem to get rid of. The derm gave me a topical sulfur cream which is not working. Although during the day it's not too bad, at night apparently they get active and it is horrible. I cannot sleep unless I take ambien. I don't believe this is still scabies since I am not getting bitten or itching like crazy. I have gone back to using topical advantix for dogs on my body, 5% perm on my face, and oral ivermectin. I just hate doing this to myself since I have no idea what the long term consequences might be but it seems the only way to at least "manage" this situation. I am not for sure what is going on, but it is some kind of mite since I cannot see them but can certainly feel them particularly during the night. I do get some relief when I use all the "poisons" but I am not sure how long I am going to have to keep this up in order to completely eradicate this. Any suggestions or other treatments that might work but not be so toxic?? I still cannot believe that I have gone from one mite to another. WTF??? Am I just a "mite magnet"?? And do you think that there really is a connection between scabies and demodex mites? Until I read your post, I had never heard anyone mention this.
There are articles on pub med about the effectiveness of 90 day tea tree oil treatments.

Actually, I want make sure this post before typing anymore...be back later.
Marilyn

Houston, TX

#18 Mar 12, 2012
Desperate girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Marilyn- oh my gosh! This is exactly what's happening with me!! I literally thought I was the only one! I have no more bites & haven't for awhile & don't feel too much during day but they are all over my face especially at night! I know I had scabies because my son & I both got them from our new puppy that the vet found scabie eggs on. And, I infected my mom now but she doesn't have them too much on her face. In the beginning they weren't on my face. Now, I can't get them off! Everyone keeps trying to get me to go to doc but I know if I do, they'll think I'm crazy because don't have anymore bites/burrows to show them!
DG--what a strange coincidence. If there aren't any bites or burrows, and whatever is on the face isn't scabies, then it has to be demodex mites--or some other mite. But it's just insane that you get scabies and fight to get rid of them for months only to get some other mite instead. Doesn't make sense. This makes me extremely nervous that whatever is on my face is still scabies and at some point they will attack me again. During the night, I do feel them on my chest and sometimes on my stomach or my pubic area. It's just a fleeting tickling feeling like the crawling sensation that I get on my face but I am not getting bitten or waking in the morning with burrows and extreme itching like before. However, it is annoying as hell during the night because I can't sleep through it. I am still changing sheets, towels daily and wasing my clothes in hot water, borax, etc. just in case it is still scabies. I am continuing to use the sulfur cream, Avar-e, that the derm gave me for demodex mites, but I have to say that it doesn't work as well as permethrin. I mix the 2 together and put it on my face, neck and chest at night. That helps but it hasn't made them go away completely yet. If I wake up and feel something on another area, I rub some perm there as well. And I am still taking Ivermectin weekly. I'm just totally paranoid that I could still have scabies. Not knowing exactly what is going on is making me a nut-case. And you are right, everyone thinks if you feel stuff crawling on your body, it's a psychological issue. Just wish I knew if and when this nightmare is ever going to be over. It does help to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. We both can't be crazy---right??
Simone

Sydney, Australia

#19 Mar 14, 2012
With Scabies infection, apparently you can feel the crawling sensation for up to 6 weeks after the last bug has died. Yuck.

I currently dont know what I have. I have had it on and off for a year. Neither my husband nor my children have it. I have the crawling/tingling/ prickling sensatio all over, and sometimes it becomes really itchy but that then fades.

I dont get itchier at night the crawling sensation is sometimes worse when its hot but it dont have any rashes perse. I do have tiny things that look like blood blisters here and there on my body, but nothing is concentrated on my face. I also can see lights? or bugs in my eyes when I look into the distance. Could this be Demodex mites? My GP says my bloods show clear for parasite infection and is sending me to a Dermotologist.
PivotalDecision

Pozzo Di Gotto, Italy

#20 Mar 15, 2012
Could someone start posting pictures of there mites? Reason being, I have a weird suspicion about these creatures. This disease has a catastrophic effect. It is very difficult to eradicate. I'm hearing mixed stories about diagnoses and long-term effects. I'd like to find out if what we have is all the same. I'd also like to compare new specimens with the old documented ones. I wonder if what we are experiencing is a mutation of some sort or different then what we expect. Then we can perform experiments to find out what this species thrives on, is resistant to, is susceptible to, and therefore how to control it. If we personally set out to redefine the knowledge on this species, it will help us all. Our information is too general and nonuniform.
Marilyn

Houston, TX

#21 Mar 15, 2012
PivotalDecision wrote:
Could someone start posting pictures of there mites? Reason being, I have a weird suspicion about these creatures. This disease has a catastrophic effect. It is very difficult to eradicate. I'm hearing mixed stories about diagnoses and long-term effects. I'd like to find out if what we have is all the same. I'd also like to compare new specimens with the old documented ones. I wonder if what we are experiencing is a mutation of some sort or different then what we expect. Then we can perform experiments to find out what this species thrives on, is resistant to, is susceptible to, and therefore how to control it. If we personally set out to redefine the knowledge on this species, it will help us all. Our information is too general and nonuniform.
I would gladly take photos of these mites if only I could see them. I think the only way that could be accomplished would be by a dermatologist. Of course, it's hard enough to get them to believe that you have something crawling on you let alone get them to photograph it. Maybe someone out there has a doc who is emphathetic enough to do this for them. It would be interesting to know if this is a different type of mite. It just seems very odd, in my case, that first I have scabies, get rid of them, and then end up with demodex mites right after that. It seems too much of a coincidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can I Mix Permethrin 10% with Lotion to make 5% 2 min Good Sumaritan 3
cat scabies (Feb '14) 6 min parasitesnofun 44
Norwegian crusted scabies 34 min ReadyToJump 16
Cheap do it yourself kit for scabies. 1 hr alisa 19
Removing Scabies from your Environment (Jan '08) 1 hr parasitesnofun 264
Ivermection scabbies 15 hr ReadyToJump 10
Where did you buy ivermectin from? (online) (Mar '09) 16 hr ReadyToJump 41
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Thu ReadyToJump 4,403
More from around the web