Scabies and your immune system

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

United States

#1 Oct 18, 2007
Iíve wondered why some people get scabies, while others are clearly exposed and donít get infected at all, or get rid of it easily. Some people on this board said they had prior episodes of scabies, and got it again years later. Several people have stated they were emotionally or physically down when they got scabies. I know I was.

Here is a really good article on how the immune system works to keep you healthy, and it even mentions scabies. Apparently your immune system should help you to fight off parasites, including scabies.

How to boost your immune system:

1. exercise
2. sleep
3. yogurt
4. whole grains
5. Echinacea
6. garlic (see below!)
7. other herbs mentioned in article
8. limit sugar intake

Garlic: Most garlic pills are labeled Odorless Garlic. These do not contain the active ingredient Allicin to boost immune system, although they can help to lower your cholesterol. Use garlic pills or powder containing allicin (or allium sativum L.), or fresh garlic.

Sleep: your body produces certain immune factors only when you are asleep!

Iím not suggesting that boosting your immune system would alone be a cure for scabies. I think some people have immune systems that fight it off. 2Scratch, for example, started getting cured when she took the olap that made her sleep a lot. Mr. 2Scratch ran 4 miles a day and was convinced that helped him to get rid of it. Jackie ate a ton of fresh garlic and swore thatís what helped to cure her.

Hereís the article, hope these ideas may help.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/immune-system.ht...
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#2 Oct 23, 2007
Anybody have to take meds to supress their immune system?
Our 15 yr old who takes anti-rejection meds shows almost no signs of scabies. He had one mosquito type bite between his shoulders and a few on his leg through this whole ordeal.

I'm wondering if his meds somehow make his body not react to the mites?

I think he is infected only because if he spends most of his time in the family room and it seems infested in there. I was so glad because all of my cleaning paid off and I thought that room was clean until last night.

Also we went somewhere Saturday and he threw a fit so to calm him down I moved him away from my wife and I sat in the middle where he was sitting. I hadn't felt crawlers in a week at the time and I immediatly felt stuff crawling on my legs. I had shorts on.

My parents watched him a week and a half ago for a while and he fell asleep on their sofa. They told me after that the sofa was infested and they immediatly had to bathe and moved the sofa outside.

I checked him and saw nothing so I assumed their sofa was previously infested. From when they had the mites.

I didn't tell my wife because he is my stepson and with his special needs she gets very defensive quickly if anyone says anything about him.(a different issue all togther but I completely understand where she is coming from)

Note: He is develomently delayed; he is like a 2 - 3 year old in some areas.

I have spent hours in our basement looking for animal droppings hoping to find the reason for our home office heavy infestation and found nothing. His room is directly over the home office and I am begging to think he is the host that I couldn't find.

Do you think his suppressed immune system due to antirejection meds could make him not have a normal reaction? He had a kidney transplant a few years ago but will always be on those meds.

He can't talk and only knows a few signs. Also, I have NEVER seen him scratch himself or seem to have any itches. I don't think he feels them.

Any thoughts or info please.
zooks

Orlando, FL

#3 Oct 23, 2007
Reyray
Those are some pretty big signs arnt they. I know for my family that I am definately the 'host'
My daughter with autism also has a supressed immune system - which is quite common with neurological dissorders. She also always has really bumpy skin, and has since birth so she has to be on an anti yeast med.
It makes it really hard for me to tell whats going on with her already having rather bumpy skin.
By the way I did give her ivermectin she is 7. I have read that they dont really know the side effects in kids, but then they dont really know in adults either.
My 3 year old is under 30 pounds, and the doc said that anything under 30 is a bad idea. Obviously my animals are both under that, and they are on it, but kids are a different ball game.
Poor little girl, I hate the crawling in my hair - did you actually see bumps in her hair?

hopefully someone else has more answers for you about your stepson -
Scabies3

Vero Beach, FL

#4 Oct 23, 2007
ReyRay wrote:
Anybody have to take meds to supress their immune system?
Our 15 yr old who takes anti-rejection meds shows almost no signs of scabies. He had one mosquito type bite between his shoulders and a few on his leg through this whole ordeal.
I'm wondering if his meds somehow make his body not react to the mites?
I think he is infected only because if he spends most of his time in the family room and it seems infested in there. I was so glad because all of my cleaning paid off and I thought that room was clean until last night.
Also we went somewhere Saturday and he threw a fit so to calm him down I moved him away from my wife and I sat in the middle where he was sitting. I hadn't felt crawlers in a week at the time and I immediatly felt stuff crawling on my legs. I had shorts on.
My parents watched him a week and a half ago for a while and he fell asleep on their sofa. They told me after that the sofa was infested and they immediatly had to bathe and moved the sofa outside.
I checked him and saw nothing so I assumed their sofa was previously infested. From when they had the mites.
I didn't tell my wife because he is my stepson and with his special needs she gets very defensive quickly if anyone says anything about him.(a different issue all togther but I completely understand where she is coming from)
Note: He is develomently delayed; he is like a 2 - 3 year old in some areas.
I have spent hours in our basement looking for animal droppings hoping to find the reason for our home office heavy infestation and found nothing. His room is directly over the home office and I am begging to think he is the host that I couldn't find.
Do you think his suppressed immune system due to antirejection meds could make him not have a normal reaction? He had a kidney transplant a few years ago but will always be on those meds.
He can't talk and only knows a few signs. Also, I have NEVER seen him scratch himself or seem to have any itches. I don't think he feels them.
Any thoughts or info please.
He could be the main host. You never said anything about your carpeting. Do you own this home? Can you pull all carpeting up? I have always had ceramic tile, because of my pets. The entire house is ceramic tile. Can be done in piecemeal and not all at once, ceramic tile is easy to install. And I guess you think, well, why isn't she over this yet if her floors are concrete? I have no idea why, other than I have a poor immune system and get colds easily and had pneumonia when I was a baby. and i'm old. I know someone who had to move from her apartment because of this, was all carpeted. Now she has hard wood floors in her apartment, and things have improved for her.
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#5 Oct 23, 2007
Most of the downstairs is hardwood except the family room. The basement is unfinished and no one goes down there.
Upstairs is mostly carpet except the bathrooms.

The office is hardwood and I keep on moping it with bleach/water and borax.

Our floors look filthy even though they are clean because of the borax.
Scabies3

Vero Beach, FL

#6 Oct 23, 2007
ReyRay wrote:
Most of the downstairs is hardwood except the family room. The basement is unfinished and no one goes down there.
Upstairs is mostly carpet except the bathrooms.
The office is hardwood and I keep on moping it with bleach/water and borax.
Our floors look filthy even though they are clean because of the borax.
The only thing I can say is stay out of the carpeted areas, if you can. May have to move the tv's to another room, etc.
Sam

United States

#7 Oct 23, 2007
ReyRay, I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read a ton of medical journals on scabies. Some state that a person can actually have scabies without the itching or symptoms. I believe this.

The rashes are the bodies allergic reaction to the mites and debris. I'm not allergic to anything, so it took me many months of having scabies, feeling them crawling all over me, no itching, before I even got a bump. I'm not immune compromised at all, I never get sick. But it just took a really long time for my body to react to the mites.

My guess would be that your dear son has the mites. Burrows can be really hard to detect, but can you take him in some really good lighting, and pull the skin tight in some areas like his hands, between the fingers, and forearms, etc. to see if you can see any tiny burrows or marks? They might be red or even white burrows.
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#8 Oct 29, 2007
Taken from my sons medicine hope this sheds some light on the immune system meds questions.

.."you should know that prednisone may decrease your ability to fight infection and may prevent you from developing symptoms if you get an infection."

I also read about a dog that was infested with Cheyletiella (walking dandruff mite)without any symptoms and the dog was taking prednisolone also a corticosteriod like my son takes. A link listed below. Go to the "Persistant Pest" subtitle.

http://www.norfolkterrier.org/articles_a-e/ch...

Treating My son and the environment has really helped.
My wife was hardly treating him before because he showed no signs of being infested.
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#9 Oct 29, 2007
My son's med also states the following about threadworms and I wonder why?

..."tell your doctor if you have an eye infection now or have ever had eye infections that come and go and if you have or have ever had threadworms (a type of worm that can live inside the body)"

Link to the site with info on the med.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/m...

Berry interesting.
zooks

Orlando, FL

#10 Oct 29, 2007
Maybe thats your big puzzle piece!! I bet things will start improving dramatically for you now that you figured that one out!!!
I suppose it could be sort of like what steriods do, makes everything seem fine on the surface when really its just covering up the scabies problem.
Scabies3

Hollywood, FL

#11 Oct 29, 2007
Does anyone know if taking the antidepressant amitriptyline may have something to do with me not being able to fully get rid of my mites? If it effect my immune system in some way? I take 75 mg. evey night before bed for sleep problems.
ReyRay

Macomb, MI

#12 Oct 29, 2007
S-3 - Sorry can't answer the amitriptyline question.

Has your sulphur came in yet? It might help you in your fight.

I never got to answer your question about cleaning the car. Yes, I spray Windex on the dash, steering wheel, under the seats, carpets, door frames, everywhere. I keep a bottle in each car so when we get out we can spray it.
I don't spray when I get in because then you will breath it in on your trip, it can also irritate your eyes if you do it when you are getting in.
zooks

Orlando, FL

#13 Oct 30, 2007
Reyray
So how do you use the listerine with sulfur? do you just go ahead and spray it over the top even with the sulfur on?
I hate going to bed at night, I've got to do something about the constant crawling I am getting now. And do you use straight listerine in a spray bottle, I am going to spray my kids down with it too.
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#14 Oct 30, 2007
Zooks- I know I keep saying it but the Listerine is the only thing I have found that give great relief.(from crawlers)

I just use it straight from a spray bottle.

Before I started using bleach and borax in my wash it would also stop the biters that were staying in my bed sheets. At the time I was just washing normally and drying twice so when they lived through that they were probably pissed off and really bit.

I read it is safe to use and it was even used as remedy to rid children of lice without the use of permethrin.

My mom washes my daughters hair starting furthest away from the scalp and then washes the scalp last thing. This is because she has long hair and by the time my mom did all of her hair her scalp would be very hot if she started with the scalp.

It does give you that hot tingly feeling but it doesn't hurt my daughter. I think you get used to the burn and it doesn't seem as hot after a while.

I spray myself down into the scalp first and then rub it into my hair.

Also spray your feet last thing out of the shower.

I can guarantee you that it works better than most enzyme and environment treatments you buy online and it is a lot cheaper and it is safe just watch the eyes.
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#15 Oct 30, 2007
Sorry I didn't answer your question. I bathe with the listerine and then put on the sulfer.

Try that nothing will bother you at night, not even your husband.:)

Also, Al and Steven upped the sulphur ratio as time goes by so the mites will leave you alone and your skin builds up a tollerance to the sulphur.
zooks

Orlando, FL

#16 Oct 30, 2007
Reyray
thanks!!! your so funny, you make us all laugh.
I am definately going to do that tonight. I will put it in my kids baths too and thanks for the tip on washing your daughters hair. How are your parents, do they have nothing at all now?

Do you sometimes wonder if this could be close to post scabies, as I have heard you still get all the activity (possibly minus the pinpricks)
I would convince myself of that if it wasnt for the weird lines which must be some sort of burrow.

Are you still doing better? I hope so!! and how is your step son? What are you doing to treat him? Its really hard treating a special needs child, my daughter is very tollerant really, but with autism there is a lot of skin sensitivity so she doesnt really like the sulfur mix lotion I have been putting on her. It must be really hard when your son is so big as well.

Also did your family have a normal amount of incubation period before they broke out, I mean your extended family - was it still inthe 2-6 week range do you think?
ReyRay

Alexandria, VA

#17 Oct 30, 2007
Zook- My sister didn't go through the 2 week incubation period. No body ever comes over to the house now and my sister came but and dropped off some ..........you guessed it Windex and Listerine. She had went to the store and asked if we needed anything.

Anyway the 15 y.o. grabbed her arm and wouldn't let go. He was so exited we had company. My sister said his hands kind of felt like they had fiber-glass on them and she didn't want to jerk her arm away because it would seem rude. Later that night she felt crawling.

I have been reading about the Cheyletiella (walking dandruff) and wonder if we don't have that? We have not identified anything. I read it was bigger than scabies and I have great eyesite and a pretty good magnifine glass but have seen nothing.

If it is this type of mite they don't always burrow which would explain a lot of bites lately with no burrowing. They have burrowed in the past.

Two days later my sister had what looked like burrows and the crawling had increased.

She did a perm treatment and throuly cleaned her house.

I think I am going to take a shoe insert to the county entomologist. Those shoes were infested when things were at its worst in my house.
Sam

Courtland, CA

#18 Nov 28, 2007
Bumping this thread as ReyRay suggested. I believe it's very important to take care of yourself to help your body fight scabies, as with any disease.

I was wrong that all odorless garlic doesn't contain allicin. I ran out and went to buy more, started reading labels more closely, and found several brands called odorless or odor controlled, but still had high concentrations of allicin. I guess as long as the label says it contains allicin, it helps boost your immune system.

posting link again http://www.howstuffworks.com/immune-system.ht ...
sublimealthetime

Richmond, VA

#20 Mar 8, 2009
ya u i have scabies rite now it sucks
nature goddess

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#22 Apr 28, 2009
Have you tried Neem Oil? It provides some relief after about 2 weeks, but the mites won't stay gone. I have been suffering for about 9 years, can't sleep at night, and have seen 4 different doctors. No help. Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sulphur and scabies (Jul '11) 1 hr Trixie Bradshaw 25
How long do EXTERNAL eggs and mites take to die... (Nov '09) 5 hr Enter usernaime 103
Take it to the next level: Albendazole and Praz... (Jul '13) Mon Bugged out 49
My Ivermectin Treatment Story (Apr '12) Sun Southernbell58 1,407
Scabies but no rash, just itching & crawling fe... (Mar '12) May 21 NncyB 155
Removing Scabies from your Environment (Jan '08) May 21 Adana 286
How long does Ivermectin take to work? (Mar '10) May 20 And a healthy 2017 222
More from around the web