Post Scabies Red Bumps

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

Oakland, CA

#1 Aug 12, 2009
Hope this story helps anyone going through post scabies.
Anyone else care to share a story on post-scabies outbreaks? Since it's my daughter and not me, it helps me to know what she's going though. Other stories may help others too.
-----
My2 year old daughter had a week's worth of post scabies outbreaks EIGHT weeks post treatment. Several sections of red bumps appearing only on one leg, not even in areas where she had bumps during her scabies outbreak. Each area of red bumps lasting less than 36 hours. Some even in a line resembling burrow marks. They did not itch. Some looked like little pimples with a black center (I'm assuming those were scabies residue). No bumps this week,-- at week 9 post treatment.

The post scabies "outbreaks" apparently occur in 3-4 week cycles (which does follow true for my daughter), lessening in severity over time. "Post-scabies irritation condition" is common after someone has had scabies. This condition consisting of itching, redness, and blisters may be caused by the "remnants" left under the skin after the mites are dead. It takes some time (possibly months or years) for this "debris" to work its way out.
Peachy

Sacramento, CA

#2 Aug 12, 2009
confused_mommy wrote:
Hope this story helps anyone going through post scabies.
Anyone else care to share a story on post-scabies outbreaks? Since it's my daughter and not me, it helps me to know what she's going though. Other stories may help others too.
-----
My2 year old daughter had a week's worth of post scabies outbreaks EIGHT weeks post treatment. Several sections of red bumps appearing only on one leg, not even in areas where she had bumps during her scabies outbreak. Each area of red bumps lasting less than 36 hours. Some even in a line resembling burrow marks. They did not itch. Some looked like little pimples with a black center (I'm assuming those were scabies residue). No bumps this week,-- at week 9 post treatment.
The post scabies "outbreaks" apparently occur in 3-4 week cycles (which does follow true for my daughter), lessening in severity over time. "Post-scabies irritation condition" is common after someone has had scabies. This condition consisting of itching, redness, and blisters may be caused by the "remnants" left under the skin after the mites are dead. It takes some time (possibly months or years) for this "debris" to work its way out.
Hi again! Thanks for the update. I too have been having post-scabies symptoms, and they seem to be cycling as you posted.
The first was about 2-3 weeks after my last Perm treatment. Big spots that looked like inflamed pimples mainly on the backs of my thighs and around my ankles. They itched and felt hot (especially if I was wearing something heavy, like jeans, and sitting down for awhile). My bumps lasted about 4-5 days, then vanished.
Then, about 3 weeks later, they came back, and then vanished again. Very strange. I went to the doctor during the second "outbreak" and the doctors told me it was dermatitis. They didn't specify that it was "post-scabies" - they seemed to be thinking that it was from overshowering/using too much soap/etc.
They advised that I minimized showers and handwashing, and to only use soap (or a gentle cleanser such as cetaphil) on areas that sweat. they said to partially dry off and immediately apply lotion (I've been using Aveeno baby daily moisture lotion and really like it). They said to wait for it to absorb and then apply the rx steroid cream.
Now I'm at 7.5 weeks since my last treatment...I'm hoping I'm done! Just curious-- where did you find the info regarding the post-scabies bumps occuring in 3-4 week cycles. I'd like to better understand why this happens. I wonder how long this may last for!!

Oakland, CA

#3 Aug 12, 2009
Hey Peachy, sounds like you're cured! That's great news...thought the paranoia continues for me, I feel pretty good about it being over here, too.(Paranoia like I totally notice ANYONE with ANY skin irritation now...)

So, the cycle info I got was not from a doctor or professional site, although it was very helpful to me during the whole thing. It's:
http://www.adoptvietnam.org/adoption/scabies-...

Also, another interesting tid-bit I found through the UK: For reasons that are not fully understood, outbreaks of scabies seem to follow a cycle, with the number of cases peaking every 20 years.

Take care!
Peachy

Sacramento, CA

#4 Aug 12, 2009
confused_mommy wrote:
Hey Peachy, sounds like you're cured! That's great news...thought the paranoia continues for me, I feel pretty good about it being over here, too.(Paranoia like I totally notice ANYONE with ANY skin irritation now...)
So, the cycle info I got was not from a doctor or professional site, although it was very helpful to me during the whole thing. It's:
http://www.adoptvietnam.org/adoption/scabies-...
Also, another interesting tid-bit I found through the UK: For reasons that are not fully understood, outbreaks of scabies seem to follow a cycle, with the number of cases peaking every 20 years.
Take care!
Same here-- any rash or redness I see on people (especially my patients at work!) I get a little leery... I pretty much wear gloves any time I'm in contact with patients at work-- don't want to take any chances of going through this nightmare again. Still waiting for some of my red marks/scabs to heal. Not sure why it's taking my skin so long to recover. Still not wearing shorts (don't want to scare any small children!) and it's been super-hot here in Sacramento.
ncitchy

Chapel Hill, NC

#5 Oct 15, 2009
i delt with active scabies for about 5 months,moved out of the house i was in, went to my moms and treated again(my parents did also) after treatment i moved into a new apartment, about every 3-4 weeks i get a bump here and there where i was most infected, then in about three days they go away, i dont feel any pin pricks, thank god! honestly i am still a little paranoid @ times, sometimes my arms itch but not intensly, i keep telling my self that its still just working its self out of my system. am i wrong?

Oakland, CA

#6 Oct 15, 2009
Sounds like you're cured! The key is there isn't a consistency to your bumps and itches and they go away. It's different than it was when you had it, right!? I didn't even have them, my daughter did, but I swear I will FOREVER be paranoid about every itch I ever have for the rest of my life. Dealing with these buggers mentally is unreal.
buggie

United States

#7 Oct 16, 2009
Post scabies sounds like a myth to me. Permethrin is icky poison and has a high failure rate according to english medical studies I read.
Peachy

Sacramento, CA

#8 Oct 16, 2009
Hi there...
I was told I had scabies back in July. I'm still not convinced it was actually scabies. I treated 3 times with Perm, and even then continued to get strange bumps and rashes. I saw the doctor multiple times (I think they thought I was nuts). They said I had dermatitis. I was prescribed a ton of steroid creams, told to only shower minimally, one doc even prescribed oral steroids. I saw a new doctor, and he seemed to think it was an allergy. I saw an allergist, we did some testing, and none of the common allergies showed up, but the doc said it could be just about anything. He said I should use an anitihistamine cream/spray like Benadryl, and take Zyrtec & Benadryl pills. He said I should only take the oral steroid if things get very bad. So far, things are great. I really really really think 95% of the people on this site don't have scabies, or perhaps at one time they did, were treated successfully, and now they're just continuing to poison themselves and make things worse. If what you're doing isn't working, you need to try something DIFFERENT!!
rdh

Tokyo, Japan

#9 Oct 17, 2009
Hi,
my 2 year old was diagnosed and treated with 5% permethrin on Friday 10/9. She naturally has very bad Eczema. The rash began under her forarms with just large red splotches with multiple tiny bumps. Since the treatment, she has developed acne like spots in new areas, on her upper arms and thighs. Some seem to go away, but new ones will appear. She has developed an eczema like rash all over her back. I am hoping that all of these spots are just the reaction to either mites dying or to the cream. I really do not want to treat her again. All of this is driving me insane and I am becoming an OCD mess! I have a steroid cream and ucerine cream that I put on her, but I have quit the steroid and just stuck with the eucerin (aquaphor). The odd thing is, if it was scabies,I would think that I would have it. She sleeps with me every night. So far, I have nothing but agravated skin from the treatment I did. Our doctor told us to wait a month, she said reinfestation is not very likely. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Peachy

Sacramento, CA

#10 Oct 18, 2009
rdh wrote:
Hi,
my 2 year old was diagnosed and treated with 5% permethrin on Friday 10/9. She naturally has very bad Eczema. The rash began under her forarms with just large red splotches with multiple tiny bumps. Since the treatment, she has developed acne like spots in new areas, on her upper arms and thighs. Some seem to go away, but new ones will appear. She has developed an eczema like rash all over her back. I am hoping that all of these spots are just the reaction to either mites dying or to the cream. I really do not want to treat her again. All of this is driving me insane and I am becoming an OCD mess! I have a steroid cream and ucerine cream that I put on her, but I have quit the steroid and just stuck with the eucerin (aquaphor). The odd thing is, if it was scabies,I would think that I would have it. She sleeps with me every night. So far, I have nothing but agravated skin from the treatment I did. Our doctor told us to wait a month, she said reinfestation is not very likely. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I would try a benadryl cream or spray. Maybe she is having an allergic reaction and needs a topical antihistamine. Not sure if it's safe for kids to have oral antihistamines or not- better to ask your doctor/pharmacist.
itchy or crazy

Ottawa, Canada

#11 Dec 6, 2009
Peachy wrote:
Hi there...
I was told I had scabies back in July. I'm still not convinced it was actually scabies. I treated 3 times with Perm, and even then continued to get strange bumps and rashes. I saw the doctor multiple times (I think they thought I was nuts). They said I had dermatitis. I was prescribed a ton of steroid creams, told to only shower minimally, one doc even prescribed oral steroids. I saw a new doctor, and he seemed to think it was an allergy. I saw an allergist, we did some testing, and none of the common allergies showed up, but the doc said it could be just about anything. He said I should use an anitihistamine cream/spray like Benadryl, and take Zyrtec & Benadryl pills. He said I should only take the oral steroid if things get very bad. So far, things are great. I really really really think 95% of the people on this site don't have scabies, or perhaps at one time they did, were treated successfully, and now they're just continuing to poison themselves and make things worse. If what you're doing isn't working, you need to try something DIFFERENT!!
I have exactly the same thing going on, doc told me it was scabies, I cried for a long time then I used Permetherin 6x over a month. Now I'm itchy but not crazy itchy, I notice every itch and every hair moving on my body. Maybe I am going crazy but I can't stand this anymore - it has consumed my life. Go to work, come home and clean and do laundry, I even bought a steamer for the mattress and couch etc. I went back to the doc and had a little meltdown in his office while trying to tell him I need to know forsure if they are gone or are there still things crawling on me, he gave me anti-depressants...wtf! My life has become hell, my husband hasn't had so much as an itch and keeps telling me that I probably never had them to begin with. I just don't know what to do next...help
bug sleuth

Madison, WI

#12 Dec 6, 2009
Itchy or Crazy,
I have the same thing. I've been dealing with this for 3 months. You can read my story at http://www.chacosplace.com/mitestoryhtml.htm
I have been researching this whole affliction and I believe most people are suffering from the same condition, only under different categories all over the internet. I believe what you have is probably what is now termed Morgellons. If you look this up on the search engine, you're going to find most stories focusing on the fibers of this disease which makes the people with this sound out of their mind. I've come to the conclusion that this disease has different stages and degrees and not all of them involve fibers. I have not found a cure but am currently able to partially maintain some of the awful symptoms. If you'd like, you can email me and I can let you know what I am currently using.
chacosplacedotcom@yahoo.com
Itchy

Leamington Spa, UK

#13 Dec 7, 2009
I too am having what I still hope is post scabies. I never actually had any symptoms when my four year old brought it home from school. Unfortunately as we were about to do our second treatment I got a few bumps.

Since the last treatment I've had a few bumps, one here, one there. However Sunday I got seven new ones all at once and my daughter got three. I don't know what to think, and am close to re-treating.

I'll wait till weekend since we stay in when we treat (so I can clean and do laundry) but I'm getting pretty nervous because I'm feeling crawling. Trouble is I don't know if it's psychosomatic or not....
itchy or crazy

Barrie, Canada

#14 Dec 8, 2009
thats my problem too Itchy, I don't know if I'm just making the problem worse by overtreating with the Permethrin. It seems like my skin is thinning or something, I have a few new bumps but they are little and very hard. They usually clear up in a day or two if I leave them alone and don't pick at them. I never had any sores or noticable signs of scabies other than the intense itch at night and sometimes during the day. I also have an intense fear of bugs so when the doc told me I have scabies it just sent my mind into a tailspin. I actually have panic attacks when I think I feel one on me, I don't even know if there is really something on me. I had 2 borax/peroxide baths last week and it only made things worse, my skin is pink now. I'm so scared...
Itchy

Leamington Spa, UK

#15 Dec 9, 2009
I absolutely know what you mean. My bumps are similar to yours, only this time they are not completely gone after a couple of days. They are no longer red, or particularly raised, but are still a little flesh coloured bump that is firm. No itching at the bumps. However, I have been scratching when they first come up, as they itch at that point, so I may have aggravated them.

Right now I'm trying to just be as gentle to my skin as possible. My daughter has had no new bumps since Sunday, and I think that is a good thing-and the three that she got then are gone. Also, my bumps are only on my hands, no where else where as when I had them properly I had them on my toes, my lower abdomen, my knees.

I'm using tea tree oil in aqueous cream-and tea tree whilst soothing (and some studies have shown it to be as effective as pesticides at killing the bugs) it can cause the same symptoms as scabies when you become sensitive to it. Pink or red bumps, itching, and though I only use it once a day on my body I use it on my hands maybe twelve or thirteen times a day. Which would explain why I have bumps only on my hands.

The paranoia really is terrible :(
Itchy

Leamington Spa, UK

#16 Dec 9, 2009
Ok I've just had another look and the couple of bumps that I saw come up before I scratched are gone. Its only the ones that I scratched that have hung around.
rdh

Tokyo, Japan

#17 Dec 9, 2009
Hi everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that it took nearly 8 weeks for my daughter's risidual red pimply/itchy rash to go away after just 1 pemethrin treatment. I thought I was going to go insane during that time. I kept thinking they were still there. You have to wait until your skin has shed the mite, which varies by person.

To help speed it up, I began to soak her in a very warm bath and scrub the areas with an exfoliant sponge. Also, her doctor prescribed her some claritin to help with the reaction and a steroid cream to help with the inflamation and itching.

The spots that were reocurring did not always appear in the same place. I was told this was common.

Overall, the waiting for 8 weeks was pure hell, but it seemed almost over night that the spots went away.

Oakland, CA

#18 Dec 9, 2009
itchy, it sounds like post-scabies stuff. the key is they're not itchy. try using some olive-oil soap for you both (by kiss my face brand).
The paranoia IS awful and like rdh said, those 8 weeks post-treatment is so hard! if you can, wait to do a second perm treatment until you have verified reinfestation. From all the research I've done, and with personal experience, ONE treatment should do the trick.

Keep us posted. My daughter's feet (where the infestation was) still aren't back to normal...no red bumps, but she lost her soft baby feet. This is a direct result of the scabies, NOT the perm treatment.

Keep us posted on this comment page, and GOOD LUCK! The days and days of laundry and itching and wondering and crying are going to be behind you now.
itchy or crazy

Peterborough, Canada

#19 Dec 17, 2009
ok, so I was almost convinced that I was free of these stupid mites but now I'm not so sure. My back has tiny hard bumps on it and they itched while I was at the gym. I'm not sure if post-scabies itches when you get warm or not. It wasn't crazy itchy or anything but it scared the crap out of me, I came home and covered myself in permethrin again. Several hours later I started to feel very shaky and just not well in general so I washed the treatment off. I don't know if I am creating my own skin problems by overtreating and exfoliating twice a day. I am freaking out right now, how do I know for sure if I am cured or not...help

Oakland, CA

#20 Dec 17, 2009
itchy or crazy, the only way you'll know for sure is to give yourself some time away from treatment and see. By time, I mean weeks! It's normal to itch post-scabies, but is it the SAME itching as when you had it? I'd wait to retreat until you see a doctor to confirm. Be kind to yourself, this can wreak havock on someone's mental state! Been there! But, it does come to an end and you will confident that you're clear. Just stay OFF this site and OFF the computer with regards to scabies... that helps too.(-;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My 4 year scabies story, need help from scabies... (May '11) 12 hr BuggedOut 100
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 14 hr FRED 4,153
Psorinum........homeopathic cure for Scabies? (Sep '11) 14 hr FRED 114
Scabies Inside The Vagina (Nov '07) 14 hr Al c 106
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) 20 hr trippsworld 629
scabies complications 21 hr Worries 1
just need someone to talk to (Aug '09) 23 hr itsanepidemicnotj... 8
Removing Scabies from your Environment (Jan '08) Oct 19 ashleyshere 252

Scabies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE