MKM

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

http://www.merckmedicus.com/ppdocs/us/hcp/con...

Classic Scabies
Crusted Scabies
Chinese Writing Scabies
Steveo

Cardiff, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Judged:

Awsome page you found there! Those crusted scabies photos nearly made me vomit though! Im sure glad I dont have that!
Mary

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

MKM wrote:
http://www.merckmedicus.com/pp docs/us/hcp/content/white/chap ters/white-ch-023-s002.htm
Classic Scabies
Crusted Scabies
Chinese Writing Scabies
MKM: Awesome article!!! A big thank you for that. I am still concerned about the literature, and the use of only one application of ivermectin for cure,(and only for immunocomprised patients, at that.)
2ScratchOrNot2Sc ratch

Sanford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing some of that.

I really should know better than to look, by now.
MKM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
MKM: Awesome article!!! A big thank you for that. I am still concerned about the literature, and the use of only one application of ivermectin for cure,(and only for immunocomprised patients, at that.)

I know, it bugs me too that most of the literature is not up to date concerning IVERMECTIN. Hopefully, the dumb-ass MD's will catch on and see that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention now states that Ivermectin is a first-line treatment for any form of scabies.
Alhatesitchin

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Wow..
Sam

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

They show the worst cases, which can confuse people. Most of my crusted areas just looked like a patch of dry skin. Others were big open sores, but none of them looked like the ones in these photos of crusted scabies. Man those are ugly. No wonder doctors are confused and unable to diagnose scabies, they are going by the pictures they see of the worst cases.
Alhatesitchin

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Sam wrote:
They show the worst cases, which can confuse people. Most of my crusted areas just looked like a patch of dry skin. Others were big open sores, but none of them looked like the ones in these photos of crusted scabies. Man those are ugly. No wonder doctors are confused and unable to diagnose scabies, they are going by the pictures they see of the worst cases.
I never realized the black dots were the mites. Hey Sam is it bad to pick at the black dots?
Sam

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

someone else could probably answer this one, I'm not a picker. BT picks and Scratch can give you advice on that.
MKM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Some black stuff may be mite poop. You really need a strong magnifying glass to see what's under the skin. If you see a dark dot at the newest end of a burrow then it's probably a mite. Do you want a mother mite and her eggs in your skin? you know scabicides are all a slow kill and they probably don't kill the eggs. It's your call.
Alhatesitchin

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

MKM wrote:
Some black stuff may be mite poop. You really need a strong magnifying glass to see what's under the skin. If you see a dark dot at the newest end of a burrow then it's probably a mite. Do you want a mother mite and her eggs in your skin? you know scabicides are all a slow kill and they probably don't kill the eggs. It's your call.
I started to pic at a black actually they were couple cluster together and well the next morning they scabed over. Maybe that was the mother and her load. I had 3 spots on each arm that did that.
mom in need

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

my son just got bumps on his elbows and knees recently....I'm not sure what they are, but he says they don't itch...some are dots and others just look like bumps with holes...any ideas??
Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2007

Elbows and knees are common sites for scabies. Take him to the doc if they don't go away. If it is scabies, it would probably spread, so keep an eye on it even if he doesn't itch. You might want to wash all his bedding in hot water and borax as a precaution.

I also would not put anything on it like cortisone. That made my initial bumps go down, taking longer to get a diagnosis. Hope it's not scabies, but if it is, kids seem to get rid of this easier.
mom in need

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2007

well i hope that is true...my poor baby already has allergies, and asthma..I would hate for him to have something else...

Thank you greatly for that tip I will wash his things right away..
Been There

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2007

Does anyone else handle your baby? if so do they have any bumps or itching? and do you have any bumps that look like scabies? It's very contagious but usually takes about 3 weeks for bumps to display unless the host has been exposed to scabies before, then it's hours or a couple days. Itching symptoms show up sooner.

In any case take your baby to see an MD. If it's scabies it will spread and get worse.
Scared

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

When you first get scabies, do you have any signs. I dont have insurance currently and I dont even know of anyone who has this that I couldve gotten it from. But the only things going on with me, is my body itches... not all at once. Sometimes its a spot on the leg or its my arm or my foot. But its not all at once. And then I feel like i have things crawling on me. I go to hit them off and there is nothing there. My husband thinks I am a mental case. Im starting to think so. And since i have no insurance i have no way of knowing if I have scabies or not. Any help would be fantastic!
Mary

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Scared wrote:
When you first get scabies, do you have any signs. I dont have insurance currently and I dont even know of anyone who has this that I couldve gotten it from. But the only things going on with me, is my body itches... not all at once. Sometimes its a spot on the leg or its my arm or my foot. But its not all at once. And then I feel like i have things crawling on me. I go to hit them off and there is nothing there. My husband thinks I am a mental case. Im starting to think so. And since i have no insurance i have no way of knowing if I have scabies or not. Any help would be fantastic!
The people who don't get this, but have family members who have it, sometimes think you are nuts. They don't know what it's like to have it. You may get an itchy bump or get a rash from this. It's worse at night time, especially when you go to bed. Check out the ordering threads on here for ordering meds and topical scabicides and soaps. You should keep your environment clean and wash all bed clothes in scalding hot water. Check out the cleaning threads on this forum. Read as much as you can on this forum. All the answers are there.
Scared

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

does it sound like a classic case? i have no rash or anything. Just itching in some spots and feels like something is crawling on me... its the nastiest feeling.
Been There

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Scared wrote:
does it sound like a classic case? i have no rash or anything. Just itching in some spots and feels like something is crawling on me... its the nastiest feeling.
Could be something other than scabies but:

Before I had any visual symptoms on my skin, I itched and felt crawling, especially when I was wearing something tight. I think this is the first sign of a possible case of scabies. It takes about 3 weeks or more for the bumps or crusts to develope, unless the person has already been exposed to scabies then it's a matter of hours or days.

Talk to an MD and if you suspect scabies tell the doc your were exposed to the mites.

I wish someone would invent a Mite Light so we could see this suckers.
Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Scared wrote:
I had the itchies and crawlies for months before even getting a bump. I even thought I was crazy. Turned out to be scabies. I had never even heard of it before.

Can you go to a clinic? Tell them you are itching at night really really bad, scratch all over when you are there. Probably score some permethrin, first line treatment. Leave it on for at least 16 hours. Repeat in one week. Do all the cleaning listed here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

164 Users are viewing the Scabies Forum right now

Search the Scabies Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) 9 hr claire 611
Bartonella-like bacteria carried by domestic mi... 9 hr FRED 8
If you're desperate (Feb '12) 14 hr stevec 44
Post Scabies Red Bumps (Aug '09) 22 hr ken 124
How I got Rid of Scabies Tue Danny 10
Post scabies treatment Jul 21 Young_Itchy 1
What are your symptoms? Jul 21 pretty crazy 19
The solution for scabies is Bleach. This is the... (Mar '12) Jul 18 rosa 128
will sulfur soap get rid of scabies (Jun '10) Jul 18 Jennifer 182