how best to clean leather sofa

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Anonymous

UK

#1 Jan 22, 2011
Any ideas please? Is anti-bacterial wipes and regular furniture polish adequate. Hope so.
Q-tip

Hollywood, FL

#2 Jan 22, 2011
a couple of things.
do you have a vacuum cleaner?
vacuum it
also, place a sheet over it and change that sheet out every 3 days.
try bleach water.
hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. spray it and then wipe it down
those Clorox wipes are good.
rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and then wipe it down.
i would take the couch pillows off and bang them up against the wall outside and then replace them.. turn them upside down often.
try to find a powdered laundry detergent that has that sodium carbonate in it, like arm and & hammer. i've seen others listed here, but i don't know the name of them. sprinkle that under the pillows and under youur couch and broom it into the fibers
Armed and Fabulous

San Anselmo, CA

#3 Jan 22, 2011
Hi LL,
Those are all really good suggestions especially the vacuuming. We never think of vacuuming the things other than soft surfaces, but with mites, it is good to vacuum everything you can.
If you can't find powdered detergent with sodium carbonate, you can try baking soda (which is sodium bicarbonate) instead. It isn't quite as good but does help. It's a really good thing to sprinkle in your shoes if you have trouble with your feet...keeps your shoes clear of mites.
The other thing that helped me was a cleaner with pine oil. You can add that in a spray bottle with water (or even adding hydrogen peroxide would be good) and spray, let sit for a bit and then wipe up. The ones I've used are Pine-Sol (original pine scented one) and Hexol. You may have different products, but anything with pine-oil as its main ingredient will do.
wishing you good luck!
Anonymous

UK

#4 Jan 22, 2011
Thanks 2both of u. So much I need 2ask but mind elsewhere now. Some1 tried kickin my front door in n tried get in but I woke up. Theres lot of bad people around here.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#5 Jan 22, 2011
Keep a record of anything like that (kicking your door),date,time,what happened.Take a photo on your mobile of any damage or marks if you can Find out who your estate manager is and email them.Say you feel under threat and ask for a transfer. Be persistent.
Buy an airbed !! Hoover !!
Anonymous

UK

#6 Jan 22, 2011
Thanks BenG1. Its a shame as I decorated my flat immaculate n spent all my money on that but another lesson learned. I wont do that again. Thanks Armed and Fabulous-is difficult 2get all these useful things but I asked my sister 2order a zippered matt protectr when she has time. Last week was very stressfull with mental health people. My sister was leaning 2wards me goin hospital. She wanted me 2go I think but they said Im ok. Is hurtful when u ask ur sister 4help n she suggests hospital. Thanks sis. 2day I felt a little stronger then my door gets near kicked in. Can u buy borax in supermarket? Or can u only get these things online? It will take time 2get stuff. Regular liquid detergent should b ok? My sis told me 2not go broke on this but she isnt goin through it.
Canuckette

Binbrook, Canada

#7 Jan 22, 2011
lifeslost wrote:
Thanks BenG1. Its a shame as I decorated my flat immaculate n spent all my money on that but another lesson learned. I wont do that again. Thanks Armed and Fabulous-is difficult 2get all these useful things but I asked my sister 2order a zippered matt protectr when she has time. Last week was very stressfull with mental health people. My sister was leaning 2wards me goin hospital. She wanted me 2go I think but they said Im ok. Is hurtful when u ask ur sister 4help n she suggests hospital. Thanks sis. 2day I felt a little stronger then my door gets near kicked in. Can u buy borax in supermarket? Or can u only get these things online? It will take time 2get stuff. Regular liquid detergent should b ok? My sis told me 2not go broke on this but she isnt goin through it.
Hi LL,
You've been through a lot, but if it helps at all, a lot of us have family who think we need our head read. I was just chuckling here thinking, if you put a sign on your door that says, "SCABIES here - enter at your own risk", you will likely live in peace without a single problem from the roughnecks. Of course, you might never make any friends of your neighbours either. I don't know what the landlord would say.
Can you buy OxyClean stain remover in the laundry detergent aisle of the supermarket? It has sodium carbonate in it, which most think is the secret ingredient in Arm and Hammer powdered detergent that makes it so effective. You can use it in your laundry as an additive and you could add 1/2 cup of it to your bath if you can have a bath. Add one load's worth of laundry detergent to your bath as well.
If there is a garden centre open in January, you could ask for some garden sulphur. It is almost pure sulphur. It is a miticide for plants. You mix it with a vegetable oil and apply it. You'll have to be wearing some old clothes because it will make a mess of your clothes. And sit on plastic. That is about the cheapest mite medication you can find.
We're pulling for you.
Anonymous

UK

#8 Jan 22, 2011
Ha thats wot I thought-then I thought ok hope u catch it! He is a m8 of a neighbour. I opened my door 2stick up 4myself-mistake. He barged in. Took 30 that I had on my microwave. I was scared cos he looked on drugs. My lifes worth more than that. I hav vanish but thats no good is it?
Canuckette

Binbrook, Canada

#9 Jan 22, 2011
lifeslost wrote:
Ha thats wot I thought-then I thought ok hope u catch it! He is a m8 of a neighbour. I opened my door 2stick up 4myself-mistake. He barged in. Took 30 that I had on my microwave. I was scared cos he looked on drugs. My lifes worth more than that. I hav vanish but thats no good is it?
What's vanish?
Anonymous

UK

#10 Jan 22, 2011
Canuckette wrote:
<quoted text>
What's vanish?
Its a stain remover that u apply 2clother b4 u put them in washing machine. It works gr8. But it wont help scabies.
Canuckette

Binbrook, Canada

#11 Jan 23, 2011
lifeslost wrote:
<quoted text>Its a stain remover that u apply 2clother b4 u put them in washing machine. It works gr8. But it wont help scabies.
If you can find a stain treatment that you add to the laundry with sodium carbonate as a main ingredient, that would be something similar to OxyClean. It needs to be something that you add to the water. Then add enough for a large load to the water. Hope you can find some. It would likely help get them out of your clothes and bedding.
Re: leather sofa - can you cover where you sit and change it every few dyas?
so tired

United States

#12 Aug 16, 2011
How do u get scabies out off a leather sofa,any suggestions please.

Georgetown, TN

#13 Aug 16, 2011
so tired wrote:
How do u get scabies out off a leather sofa,any suggestions please.

FIRST STEP: Vacuum the sofa EVERY day--more than once a day--if possible. WEAR fresh nitrile/vinyl gloves! If using a hepa filter vacuum--store the machine itself outside and freeze the filter in your fridge when you are through. WASH the vacuum thoroughly after use. Store vacuum in a large plastic bag tied at the top and toss a couple of mothballs in the bag.

IF using a bag vacuum--unhook the bag when you are through, tape the end of the bag shut. Store vacuum in a plastic bag with a few mothballs for next use. If you prefer, you can also freeze the bag.

SECOND: Buy a Raid Fumigator fogger (comes in a blue box--3 per box--fairly cheap) with permethrin. It won't damage the leather but will attack the scabies. Set it off, leave the residence for a couple of hours. It leaves a residue that will help kill the scabies. You may want to repeat in a few days to get any that escaped the first fogging.

THIRD: DUST the entire sofa with FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. Many livestock/farm supply places carry it for feeding to animals, some hydroponic gardening places have it--or you can buy it online. Just 5 lbs is a HUGE amount--because it is so fine. It is NATURAL--but will make a lot of dust, so be sure to wear a mask when applying it.(Put 2 clean socks together to form 1 sock--add about 1/4 cup DE to it--use as a duster all over the sofa--then cover with a sheet to protect yourself until the DE works it's way into the sofa. Works GREAT! Focus on cracks, crevices, and dust the carpet BENEATH the sofa as well. You can even use it on yourself!) Just be careful when you vacuum--it can damage the vacuum cleaner if you don't clean it FREQUENTLY while vacuuming because the dust can clog the machine.

FOURTH: If you prefer, mix dog and cat flea powder together with DE to make a dust that you can leave on the sofa and use elsewhere in the home. Also works!

NONE of these will damage your leather sofa.

Hope this helps!
superman786

Islamabad, Pakistan

#14 Dec 23, 2012
When making a leather furniture choice, various materials may meet your requirements. This information is intended to help you determine what product you are being offered and to assist you in deciding what you want in your home based on your budget, needs and an informed understanding of various product types.Leather sofa [url=http://www.funique.co.uk/ living-room-furniture/sofas/no rmal-sofas.html]see more[/url]
Susan

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Jul 29, 2014
Once I put diatomaceous earth on my couch, can I sit on it or should I avoid it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bleach bath recommended by dermatologist (Aug '07) 42 min Need answers 607
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 2 hr Fowler 4,187
clean scabies clean 5 hr Some one help 1
Advantix,help! 5 hr Some one help 1
scabies or what????? (Nov '11) 9 hr scaredofscabies 31
Scabies on face and scalp? (Aug '07) Fri essentials for sc... 903
Scabies Cure: SULFUR (Oct '08) Fri Jeanie 286
More from around the web