Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

We contracted scabies when I got temporary custody of my sisters last August. They came to me infested. It took a month before we knew what was up, and got the permetherin cream and also used the oil and DE which worked! It took about 2 months, but we were free. I have been fortunate enough to NOT get it this whole time. Mostly just my children. This was back in October. Since then, we've moved and my dd (6) got them bad. But the way her body reacted I couldn't even tell what she had it was so bad. SO, back on the permetherin cream, back with the DE. That cleared her up but it is coming back AGAIN! And now I have it. I'm thinking another plan of attack is in order. I was going to try sulfur cream, but my daughter is allergic to sulfur.:( So while I and my other kids can use it, I have to create a new game plan for her.

I have a thing of ivermectin 1% here waiting for me to try it. I am just scared to DEATH of taking it and giving it to my kids in regards to side effects. My youngest son is just at that 33 pound limit it says for the ivermectin.

If anyone has dealt with scabies and in their kids, I'd love to hear about what you have tried. I also bought some kleen-free naturally, spray everything, are throwing their bed sheets in the dryer every day and vacuuming. I can't keep this up. I also sprinkle DE around their bed posts and on the sheets. I'm just so done!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Well, I'm just going to use this thread to keep updated on how we're doing. I am going to give this a shot:

Day 1: Ivermectin
Day 3: Permetherin
Day 5: Ivermectin
Day 8: permetherin
Day 10: Ivermectin
Day 13: Permetherin

I am hoping that I have enough permetherin to cover everybody. The doctors here are so darn stingy with the stuff. Treat it like it's gold. I may have to call and speak with the pediatrician about needing more.

I finally sucked it up and took the dose of ivermectin last night, my kids as well. No ill effects at all. I did feel like I had a hangover this morning, no idea what that was about. So far it has seemed to help. I don't feel as itchy and not noticing as many crawly sensations. The back of my knees are the worst, they started itching, and a quick dose of sulfur ointment to them quickly squelches any itching I experience.

I am also throwing everyone's sheets, pillows and blankets into the dryer every other day for at least an hour. My dryer has an "antibacterial" setting. I do that twice. The days I don't I will sprinkle DE into the sheets. Wash once a week. Vacuum every day. Clothes go directly into the washer and I wash on hot, hot water with some detergent and borax. I ordered 10% sulfur soap and will use it on everyone except my dd.

I fogged my car last night with the Raid fog for bedbugs. Let it sit for close to 3 hours then aired it out all night.

Something has got to give. I want these things gone for good!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Tonight we do permethrin. I don't want to, as we do it more I see more of a reaction in our skin. I haven't received my sulfur yet, but I'm thinking I will make a big day where everyone is covered head to toe in sulfur.

My oldest dd had a reaction to the ivermectin. She had a couple accidents where she didn't feel like she had to pee, but couldn't hold it. I'm nervous to give her more. I don't know if this is a potentially permanent side effect, or just a regular effect that goes away. I think I will try with one more dose on her, if it happens again I will find another way to get rid of it on her.

I'm also going to go back to slathering coconut oil on everyone. That worked really well the first time, not only nourishing for the skin, but I think it does help with the itch and scabies to an extent.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

We took our second dose of ivermectin last Friday (3/1). Our immune systems were not up to par, so I think the kids had a difficult time with symptoms. I know I had some crazy symptoms and it was not a pleasant experience. I am not sure I am going to continue with the ivermectin. It has worked! We are all cleared up. Behind my knees was the worst and I have had no new bites in almost 2 weeks. I also started rubbing a 10% sulfur cream on everybody except for my dd who is allergic (washing with 10% sulfur soap and I added sulfur to our shampoo and conditioner). For her I'm sticking with the messy DE and grapeseed oil. It did work before, I just didn't give it enough time to fully work. It has been a week for everyone and we are in the clear so far. I'm hoping that it stays that way and we don't have any breakthroughs.

I'm still cleaning like a freak. I despise it. Vacuuming every day. Washing sheets every 2-3 days with DE sprinkled on the beds the days I don't wash. I spray Kleen Free Naturally on the mattress covers after removing sheets. I spray my couch and computer desk and chair. The dogs are getting washed and sprayed often. My washer and dryer are constantly running. Every article of clothing that gets touched gets washed. I will be bombing my car again this weekend as it is recommended to do it every 2 weeks.

The kids and I are going out of town in a few weeks so I am going to invest in some foggers and fog the entire house. We will be gone a week so I'm hoping the time away from our environment will help kill anything left at the house. I already plan on what to do when I am at the hotel. Precautions I can take. I will be bringing my 5 lbs of DE with me.

I plan to actively do all this for at least 3-5 months to hopefully prevent re-infestation. If we do get reinfested, I have no idea what we are going to do.
Over it

Reservoir, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Wow what an ordeal. We are treating with ascabiol and permethrin. That's all th doctors in Australia will give us. I have a 5 month old and 16 to with it. The 16yo bought it home 5 months ago. Me and bub got it 3 months ago. It's been he'll on earth.
umathr

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

going-krazy wrote:
We took our second dose of ivermectin last Friday (3/1). Our immune systems were not up to par, so I think the kids had a difficult time with symptoms. I know I had some crazy symptoms and it was not a pleasant experience. I am not sure I am going to continue with the ivermectin. It has worked! We are all cleared up. Behind my knees was the worst and I have had no new bites in almost 2 weeks. I also started rubbing a 10% sulfur cream on everybody except for my dd who is allergic (washing with 10% sulfur soap and I added sulfur to our shampoo and conditioner). For her I'm sticking with the messy DE and grapeseed oil. It did work before, I just didn't give it enough time to fully work. It has been a week for everyone and we are in the clear so far. I'm hoping that it stays that way and we don't have any breakthroughs.
I'm still cleaning like a freak. I despise it. Vacuuming every day. Washing sheets every 2-3 days with DE sprinkled on the beds the days I don't wash. I spray Kleen Free Naturally on the mattress covers after removing sheets. I spray my couch and computer desk and chair. The dogs are getting washed and sprayed often. My washer and dryer are constantly running. Every article of clothing that gets touched gets washed. I will be bombing my car again this weekend as it is recommended to do it every 2 weeks.
The kids and I are going out of town in a few weeks so I am going to invest in some foggers and fog the entire house. We will be gone a week so I'm hoping the time away from our environment will help kill anything left at the house. I already plan on what to do when I am at the hotel. Precautions I can take. I will be bringing my 5 lbs of DE with me.
I plan to actively do all this for at least 3-5 months to hopefully prevent re-infestation. If we do get reinfested, I have no idea what we are going to do.
One thing that I am using is aloe gel the scabies seem to hate it. I use it and sulfur soap and it really seems to be working. Good luck

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Thank you umathr! I have to keep up with something because I'm so scared to stop.

Over it, I so feel for you. I hope you all find relief soon. I couldn't imagine having a teeny baby and dealing with this infection.:(

I slathered permethrin (Elimite) all over everybody on Thursday night. Everyone tolerated it well. No rashes appeared which was great. I'm going to keep up with the sulfur and once a week permethrin for another 2 doses at least. We are definitely done with the ivermectin. I won't give it to the kids any more. It gave us the boost we needed to get the process started and we got 2 doses in.

Still cleaning. Still hating it. Still spraying everything.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

We are so far so good! I noticed some patches crop up on my son, as well as behind my knees, but I believe that was some post-scabies. It was SOOOOOOOOOO hard not to bust out the permethrin again. But, thanks to a recent post that was brought back to the top I am just taking it slow. They have since disappeared. I find that if I wear jeans my knees get super irritated so I try to limit the time in jeans for now.

I switched detergents to the Arm & Hammer and using chlorine-free bleach in with the wash. I should have known better with my daughter's sensitive skin. I will now have to re-wash everything in our regular detergent as her skin is rebelling. Poor thing.

Still vacuuming, still washing sheets every 2 days, sprinkled with DE in between. I'm feeling really optimistic, but I know it's still early. I have to wait for our skin to heal a bit more before doing the permethrin one more time. We did one dose, and so Thursday or Friday we will do our last one (hopefully).
umathr

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

going-krazy wrote:
We are so far so good! I noticed some patches crop up on my son, as well as behind my knees, but I believe that was some post-scabies. It was SOOOOOOOOOO hard not to bust out the permethrin again. But, thanks to a recent post that was brought back to the top I am just taking it slow. They have since disappeared. I find that if I wear jeans my knees get super irritated so I try to limit the time in jeans for now.
I switched detergents to the Arm & Hammer and using chlorine-free bleach in with the wash. I should have known better with my daughter's sensitive skin. I will now have to re-wash everything in our regular detergent as her skin is rebelling. Poor thing.
Still vacuuming, still washing sheets every 2 days, sprinkled with DE in between. I'm feeling really optimistic, but I know it's still early. I have to wait for our skin to heal a bit more before doing the permethrin one more time. We did one dose, and so Thursday or Friday we will do our last one (hopefully).
While you are waiting try the aloe gel organic aloe gel or just find an aloe plant and take a leaf and use it. Use a little at a time before you dive in. Also you can order 8 bars of sulfur soap from sulfurointment.com for 25 dollars free shipping it will get to you very fast, you can use the sulfur soap and the aloe as a back up if you like. I think you will be surprised at how effective aloe is at relieving the itch and killing scabies. Also until you are sure that you almost got rid of them there is no need to go to crazy about the cleaning. The eggs are all under the skin and the scabies want to be on the skin and no where else, although the toilet seat might be a place to spray with alcohol. What ever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Thanks. I will look at ordering aloe gel from Amazon. The resources locally are very limited. I did order some sulfur soap and we are using that every shower. I'm just kind of iffy on having to buy another thing. Sigh. I have tried everything under the moon (and spent lots of $$). Though, I will research this and give it a try as well. Will definitely help with the skin either way. :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Glad your family is doing better! So hard to just take care of yourself during this ordeal, I can't imagine with kids. I hope you and your family are healed. I know how you feel about buying soo much crap. I spent soo much money on this during the holidays.

GB!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Can't share the good without the bad right? Well, we have more bites cropping up. WTF! I am beyond myself at this point. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. I have heard about a product called Humaworm. Has anyone ever heard of it? I don't think it would be a fix-all cure, but sure sounds promising.

I bought aloe vera gel. Burned the skin on my kids, can't use it.

My vacuum cleaner shit the bed. Have to wait until tomorrow for a new one to come in. Not having a vacuum is killing me.

I'm so over it.:(
needpeace

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

going-krazy wrote:
Can't share the good without the bad right? Well, we have more bites cropping up. WTF! I am beyond myself at this point. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. I have heard about a product called Humaworm. Has anyone ever heard of it? I don't think it would be a fix-all cure, but sure sounds promising.

I bought aloe vera gel. Burned the skin on my kids, can't use it.

My vacuum cleaner shit the bed. Have to wait until tomorrow for a new one to come in. Not having a vacuum is killing me.

I'm so over it.:(
Ugh so sorry to hear you guys are still getting bites. Are you sure it's not the skin reacting to the perm or the treatments? I'm not sure how old your kids are but can you put borax on the carpet till you get a new vacuum? It helps kill any mites that maybe on the carpet. I never heard of humaworm, keep us posted on how it works

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Thank you for listening to my rants needpeace! lol I am absolutely sure that bites were cropping up on my son's wrist. I waited, and it was the typical bite fashion that has shown itself before. It was his most infested area, so I'm not surprised that it popped up there. I also know some were coming back behind my knees before I did permethrin again on Friday night. My knees are feeling great now, but I know I have a post-scabies rash on my neck from the perm. It's pretty bad, I'm slathering it with coconut oil at least 4 times a day.

I will order the Humaworm. I emailed them asking for more information before I do purchase it though. It is all natural, and lots of herbs like garlic, cloves, thyme, black walnut, etc. All known to at least make your blood/body unfavorable. I will definitely keep everyone informed.

I'm going to sprinkle borax into my carpet in a bit. I have been using the Kleen Free Naturally spray a lot...and on everything.

I actually threw everybody's pillows into the deep freezer this morning! lololol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

going-krazy wrote:
Thank you for listening to my rants needpeace! lol I am absolutely sure that bites were cropping up on my son's wrist. I waited, and it was the typical bite fashion that has shown itself before. It was his most infested area, so I'm not surprised that it popped up there. I also know some were coming back behind my knees before I did permethrin again on Friday night. My knees are feeling great now, but I know I have a post-scabies rash on my neck from the perm. It's pretty bad, I'm slathering it with coconut oil at least 4 times a day.
I will order the Humaworm. I emailed them asking for more information before I do purchase it though. It is all natural, and lots of herbs like garlic, cloves, thyme, black walnut, etc. All known to at least make your blood/body unfavorable. I will definitely keep everyone informed.
I'm going to sprinkle borax into my carpet in a bit. I have been using the Kleen Free Naturally spray a lot...and on everything.
I actually threw everybody's pillows into the deep freezer this morning! lololol
What are we here for? This is the only place were you can say how you feel and someone else can relate. Though you are going through a much tougher time then I am. Kids don't make things easy! Do you have pets?
My neck was really bad after all the treatments! It was so dry and peeling like a snake! Gross now it's my chest :-( I am going to get this Shea butter from Africa it works really good on dry skin, and heals scars. I used it before and it worked really well.
I ordered something like humaworm it's dogwood tea, still waiting for it to be delivered. My husband use to drink it when he was a kid. It's suppose to kill any parasites that might be in your system. He never gets bitten by Mosquitos or anything not sure if he just gives off something bugs and mites don't like....I hope it helps.
I heard Kleenfree works well. I put my shoes in the freezer. I hope it helps...praying for you and your family. You guys will get through this!
misery_in_au

Bondi, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

going-krazy wrote:
I am also throwing everyone's sheets, pillows and blankets into the dryer every other day for at least an hour. My dryer has an "antibacterial" setting. I do that twice. The days I don't I will sprinkle DE into the sheets. Wash once a week.

Something has got to give. I want these things gone for good!
sorry but the bedding needs to be washed daily for everyone's sake. Its the same as clothing.
misery_in_au

Bondi, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

The jeans you mentioned still have mites in them. I feel terrible saying it but that happens with most thick clothes and the love cotton.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Hmmmm.........do you think if I threw the jeans in the deep freezer for 12-24 hours it would help kill the mites???

I'm trying to wash sheets every other day, but I honestly can't wash every day. My washer only goes so fast and with 5 sets of bedding to do it is literally impossible. I don't think there are any laundromats here either unless I want to drive an hour to the next closest town.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

I know that sounded like a shit excuse about washing sheets every day. Just got a genius moment and I'll just have to go out and buy some extra sheets so that I will be able to change bedding every day. Comforters I can handle washing every day, cause I can fit 2 of the kid's in the washer and dryer at the same time.

It's been a month almost of seriously waging war. And even though we have had a crop up, things have chilled out a bit and I feel sort of confident that this will work in the long run.

I got my new vacuum today and it feels great! It has awesome sucking power.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

going-krazy wrote:
Hmmmm.........do you think if I threw the jeans in the deep freezer for 12-24 hours it would help kill the mites???
I'm trying to wash sheets every other day, but I honestly can't wash every day. My washer only goes so fast and with 5 sets of bedding to do it is literally impossible. I don't think there are any laundromats here either unless I want to drive an hour to the next closest town.
If you iron the jeans inside out you will kill the mites and if they left any eggs. I have a steamer and I steam all my clothes for the week, makes life easier during the week. People say that the steamer isn't good because of the humidity, but if a mite is going to get steamed its going to die. I had a spider in my room I sprayed Lysol on it still moving, quick hit with the steamer and it died instantly.
I know this might be the last thing you would want to do, but do you think you could get extra set of sheets? I'm not sure if you have the dollar Tree near where you live, but I saw they have pillow covers not sure if they have full sheet sets, but that might be something to consider and it only $1.00 each. I have read people on the forum say that they vacuum there bed sheets, or putting them in the freezer for at least 24 hours every night instead of washing sheets and that it helped, maybe ironing them (I know way to much work)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

181 Users are viewing the Scabies Forum right now

Search the Scabies Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Precisely how Jordans Athletic shoes Identified... 36 min LPrr 2
Albendazole (Valbazen) Curing Me (Oct '13) 1 hr Katee 713
What WORKS and MISCONCEPTIONS - My Story 2 hr bran0406 5
Post Scabies Symptoms (Oct '11) 4 hr Kiki 27
what can u do about scabies in your hair ? 7 hr lasvegaslasvegas 7
Scabies bumps on penis shaft, head, scrotum. Po... (Feb '13) 11 hr Justin irvin 6
A Solution to Get Rid Off Scabies Forever! (Feb '11) 13 hr Shannon 37
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Apr 14 lasvegas 4,005
•••
•••
•••
•••