Do I have scabies or don't I??

Do I have scabies or don't I??

Posted in the Scabies Forum

NotSure

New York, NY

#1 Sep 4, 2012
Hi folks,

I've read all through the forums on here because I'm uncertain about my condition, and I'm still not satisfied that I know what's going on.

I started getting itching and red papules on my skin several months ago, and it became apparent that I had become sensitized to multiple allergens. The itching became unbearable, day and night, and at one point I basically had a full body rash. It was hell on earth.

I saw a doctor and he diagnosed atopic dermatitis. I went on steroids which cleared everything up and stopped the itching but it came back after. Antihistamines and corticosteroids helped some, but sometimes didn't really do too much.

I avoided as many allergens as I could and over time the rash improved. The only thing that continued to set it off was heat and humidity at this point.

I ended up going on a long business trip, and the condition basically resolved 90%. I was completely off corticosteroids and rarely took an antihistamine.

I return home, and my roomates, who I haven't seen in months, tell me that they have scabies, which they got after being out-of-town for about a month and a half. They went to the doctor and got the diagnosis and started the treatment.

Here's the crazy thing though. The minor symptoms I'd had for about a month (different from what I had before when it was really bad)... rash all over upper forearms, occasional water blisters on fingers in humid weather, bumps on calves, and not really an itch, but an irritated electric crawly feeling all over... well they had the same itchiness in same locations! One of them, we've got like mirror image rashes.

This doesn't fit with typical scabies, i know. But what I have now is soooo different from what I had before. And we have similar looking rashes. But we haven't been near each other in months.

Can anyone help me here?

No burrow thingies I don't think, and all my symptoms are attributable to atopic dermatitis just like the doc said. But it's got me wondering since my roomates say they have scabies and it looks the same to what I have now!
CrawlyGirl

New York, NY

#2 Sep 4, 2012
NotSure wrote:
Hi folks,
I've read all through the forums on here because I'm uncertain about my condition, and I'm still not satisfied that I know what's going on.
I started getting itching and red papules on my skin several months ago, and it became apparent that I had become sensitized to multiple allergens. The itching became unbearable, day and night, and at one point I basically had a full body rash. It was hell on earth.
I saw a doctor and he diagnosed atopic dermatitis. I went on steroids which cleared everything up and stopped the itching but it came back after. Antihistamines and corticosteroids helped some, but sometimes didn't really do too much.
I avoided as many allergens as I could and over time the rash improved. The only thing that continued to set it off was heat and humidity at this point.
I ended up going on a long business trip, and the condition basically resolved 90%. I was completely off corticosteroids and rarely took an antihistamine.
I return home, and my roomates, who I haven't seen in months, tell me that they have scabies, which they got after being out-of-town for about a month and a half. They went to the doctor and got the diagnosis and started the treatment.
Here's the crazy thing though. The minor symptoms I'd had for about a month (different from what I had before when it was really bad)... rash all over upper forearms, occasional water blisters on fingers in humid weather, bumps on calves, and not really an itch, but an irritated electric crawly feeling all over... well they had the same itchiness in same locations! One of them, we've got like mirror image rashes.
This doesn't fit with typical scabies, i know. But what I have now is soooo different from what I had before. And we have similar looking rashes. But we haven't been near each other in months.
Can anyone help me here?
No burrow thingies I don't think, and all my symptoms are attributable to atopic dermatitis just like the doc said. But it's got me wondering since my roomates say they have scabies and it looks the same to what I have now!
Are your symptoms worse at night? In addition to crawling do you feel pin prick biting sensations? Hate to say it but you probably have scabies. Lots of derms diagnose it incorrectly at dermatitis. And if your roommates have scabies you will need to be treated for it.
notesure

New York, NY

#3 Sep 4, 2012
CrawlyGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Are your symptoms worse at night? In addition to crawling do you feel pin prick biting sensations? Hate to say it but you probably have scabies. Lots of derms diagnose it incorrectly at dermatitis. And if your roommates have scabies you will need to be treated for it.
Thanks Crawly for your response.
At this point I would be fine with a diagnosis of scabies, as long as I can get rid of it.
Itching is not worse at night.
I've only been feeling the crawling and also the pin pricks over the past couple of weeks. But like I said, I've had this "condition" for almost six months.
I know that doctors often overdiagnose and also overlook scabies sometimes. That's why I'm on here, because sometimes you just need to do the investigative work yourself. doctors don't have time for complex cases.
I got a prescription for the cream. Are there any downsides to taking it?
notesure

New York, NY

#4 Sep 4, 2012
Sorry, just to add:

Wouldn't it be strange that the itch basically went away while I was gone? I mean, I thought whatever I had was totally healed, and then I return back home and it's basically starting again.
Shelly Weltsy

Yucca Valley, CA

#5 Sep 5, 2012
could be bird mites. Did you swim in the ocean while away? Salt water helps clear scabies.

Since: Aug 12

Canada

#7 Sep 7, 2012
It is possible that you have more than one condition, however to me, it sounds more like an allergy. That it cleared up while you were away may be an indicator that it is something in your home environment.
rose

Portland, OR

#8 Sep 8, 2012
I am new here and think I have Scabies. I work with children and two months ago one of the children in my care developed an itchy rash. It spread to his knees, elbows and diaper area. He was only 16 months and kept repeating "itch". His parents went online and to check it out and said they thought it was exzema. Then I didn't work for them a while and when I went back his rash was worse. They still insisted it was exzema. However it is now two months later and I developed itchy hands. I went to the doctor and he said dermatitis but when I told him about the child he said he would test for scabies. He did a scrape and it came back negative. But he did give me pyrmethan cream. I used it and all felt better then one week later the itch came back but then spread to my elbows and knees. I did the treatment again and in two weeks the itch was back.

So after a week of this I went to a different doctor. They couldn't determine what it was and took another scraping (as of now I have yet to hear back on what they found if anything). They gave me more pymethan cream. By this time my face, scalp and neck begin to itch really badly and all night I would feel like something was crawling on my lips, eyebrows and eyelids and my hair. I had used the treatment only from my chin down last time as was recommended. This time I did everything, head to toe, hair scalp, everywhere. In the morning I got up and before washing it all off read some internet where it said people use hand sanitizer on their skin to help rid them of scabies. So this is where it gets really creepy. I first did my face and neck with the sanitizer. Then looked down and applied it to my forearms where the itching was the worse. When I looked up in the mirror...well my face was full of worm things coming out of my pores...I was horrified!!!

These were not like any scabie pictures I had ever seen anywhere on the internet. These were thin white worms that were wiggling out of my facial pores. I started scrubbing my face and afterward looked at my fore arms and there were more worms coming out of my arms. Literally falling on the black shirt I was wearing. Total freak out mode now...started scrubbing arms. Looked up more worms coming out of my face and neck. Once I scrubbed off my face and arms I thought well if this is what is making me itch and the hand sanitizer is getting them out of my skin I will continue. I found you have to wait up to five minutes for the worms to exit and you can see them come up out of the skin as they do. So I redid my face and arms until no more worms. Then I did my whole body.

There were only a few more incidences of mass worm exiting my skin and notably it was the most itchy rashy spots that they exited. I am thinking the cream made them sensitive and the skin sanitizer brought them to the surface and out. Once they were out they died and turned sort of stiff.

I did check online and found one video of a guy in asia being treated with something and worms come out of his face. Most comments about this video said it was faked with cockroach worms but I am here to tell you I saw it happen on me and I was using hand sanitizer! I wish I had pictures or a video but I had no idea it would happen I was trying to kill scabies.

So I am now using hand sanitizer on my skin to make sure no there are no more worms. When I get a crawly feeling I grab some scotch tape and tape the area. I did get what looked like a scabie or creature on the tape along with a few of the worms.

Anyone here have any idea what this could be? I read about Morgellon but I am not having fibers come out of me...these things wiggled. I wish I could say I made this up but I didn't, it's horrifying. I am not sure a doctor would beleive me even though I have scotch tape with critters on it. Anyone?
Shelly Weltsy

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Sep 8, 2012
OMG! I dont know what that could have been but be sure to wash the hell out of everything! There are parasitic worm infestation that can occur on the skin.

Ivermectin is what you need or a medication called Flagyl. You are also going to need to use clove oil mixed in body lotion every day. YOu will have to find the right ration of clove oil to body lotion that your skin can handle. Clove oil kills all parasite eggs.

You will have to go see a doctor and apply the hand sanitize right there before him.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#10 Sep 10, 2012
Rose - I'm not sure that scabies has been your problem. Itch mites are microscopic and can't be seen with the naked eye which is why a doctor with take a scraping from your skin and look at it under a microscope.

I would certainly seek medical advise immediately if I were you!

naturaltreatmentforscabies.com
rose

Portland, OR

#11 Sep 10, 2012
I do plan to contact my doctor unfortunately I am always seen by Nurse Practitioners and a different one every time. The last one was "training" and had to look up scabies in a book. Then she brought in another nurse practitioner. They kept saying usually people usually have a lot more of the rash/sores. But I had been applying the cream multiple times to avoid having a huge problem...what I should wait until I'm covered??!!

I think I will write an email to outline this whole thing and send it to the Doctor. Perhaps I will actually get to see a doctor. I have no insurance so I pay into a concierge plan and that means no options.

The plus side to the experience is that the skin on my face is totally changed and clear. I was told I had rosecia, not sure how to spell it. I now think it was these critters the whole time, which means YEARS! Other rashes that were laid to other causes in past years have also cleared up...this is so weird!

I will update as soon as I get into see someone and see if I need more bug medicine. It sure seems like some kind of parasite problem. Just don't know what.

Thanks for the responses it makes me feel so less alone in all this.
rose

Portland, OR

#12 Sep 10, 2012
I wanted to mention that in years past I have visited Mexico, San Miguel, (over ten years ago) for a month long visit. I also in the past year went to Mexico while visiting my mom in Yuma Arizona. I also went to South Beach Florida for a month in February and played in the ocean. This summer I stayed in a hotel fourth of july weekend and in a rental beach cabin in August.Not sure if any of those places had anything to do with this but very well could have been a parasite from any of these places...I don't know....just trying to figure it out.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#13 Sep 11, 2012
I hope you get answers soon good luck!
rose

Portland, OR

#14 Sep 17, 2012
My doctor doesn't really believe me. She says I am having allergic reaction to cream.
she has idea why worms would come ouof my face, never heard if it and says she has never heard of ivermectin.): I have no health insurance and no extra money. So I'm pretty much on my own. Good thing is it seems better.
Oracle

Norfolk, VA

#15 Feb 27, 2016
rose wrote:
I am new here and think I have Scabies. I work with children and two months ago one of the children in my care developed an itchy rash. It spread to his knees, elbows and diaper area. He was only 16 months and kept repeating "itch". His parents went online and to check it out and said they thought it was exzema. Then I didn't work for them a while and when I went back his rash was worse. They still insisted it was exzema. However it is now two months later and I developed itchy hands. I went to the doctor and he said dermatitis but when I told him about the child he said he would test for scabies. He did a scrape and it came back negative. But he did give me pyrmethan cream. I used it and all felt better then one week later the itch came back but then spread to my elbows and knees. I did the treatment again and in two weeks the itch was back.
So after a week of this I went to a different doctor. They couldn't determine what it was and took another scraping (as of now I have yet to hear back on what they found if anything). They gave me more pymethan cream. By this time my face, scalp and neck begin to itch really badly and all night I would feel like something was crawling on my lips, eyebrows and eyelids and my hair. I had used the treatment only from my chin down last time as was recommended. This time I did everything, head to toe, hair scalp, everywhere. In the morning I got up and before washing it all off read some internet where it said people use hand sanitizer on their skin to help rid them of scabies. So this is where it gets really creepy. I first did my face and neck with the sanitizer. Then looked down and applied it to my forearms where the itching was the worse. When I looked up in the mirror...well my face was full of worm things coming out of my pores...I was horrified!!!
These were not like any scabie pictures I had ever seen anywhere on the internet. These were thin white worms that were wiggling out of my facial pores. I started scrubbing my face and afterward looked at my fore arms and there were more worms coming out of my arms. Literally falling on the black shirt I was wearing. Total freak out mode now...started scrubbing arms. Looked up more worms coming out of my face and neck. Once I scrubbed off my face and arms I thought well if this is what is making me itch and the hand sanitizer is getting them out of my skin I will continue. I found you have to wait up to five minutes for the worms to exit and you can see them come up out of the skin as they do. So I redid my face and arms until no more worms. Then I did my whole body.
There were only a few more incidences of mass worm exiting my skin and notably it was the most itchy rashy spots that they exited. I am thinking the cream made them sensitive and the skin sanitizer brought them to the surface and out. Once they were out they died and turned sort of stiff.
I did check online and found one video of a guy in asia being treated with something and worms come out of his face. Most comments about this video said it was faked with cockroach worms but I am here to tell you I saw it happen on me and I was using hand sanitizer! I wish I had pictures or a video but I had no idea it would happen I was trying to kill scabies.
So I am now using hand sanitizer on my skin to make sure no there are no more worms. When I get a crawly feeling I grab some scotch tape and tape the area. I did get what looked like a scabie or creature on the tape along with a few of the worms.
Anyone here have any idea what this could be? I read about Morgellon but I am not having fibers come out of me...these things wiggled. I wish I could say I made this up but I didn't, it's horrifying. I am not sure a doctor would beleive me even though I have scotch tape with critters on it. Anyone?
I think you might have Morgellons disease. Not pretty. I'd look into it.
Oracle

Norfolk, VA

#16 Feb 27, 2016
rose wrote:
From your description it seems to be that you might have Morgellons disease, which is not pretty. Id look into it. More info on the topic: http://carnicominstitute.org/wp/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where does YOUR scabies come from? (Feb '09) 9 hr Pammi J 91
demodex mites and how to cure them on eyelids (Feb '10) 17 hr Ausieite 331
My scabies might be bird mites (Jun '08) Tue hello 57
I don't think it's scabies Tue Guest 6
sulphur and scabies (Jul '11) May 23 Trixie Bradshaw 25
How long do EXTERNAL eggs and mites take to die... (Nov '09) May 23 Enter usernaime 103
Take it to the next level: Albendazole and Praz... (Jul '13) May 22 Bugged out 49
More from around the web