Links for Treating Dogs and Cats

Links for Treating Dogs and Cats

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1 Feb 18, 2010
I am posting my best links for information on treating mites in animals. Most of these articles deal with mange and cheylatiella, which are both caused by mites. My 6 animals were the main carriers of my mite problem. Only the cats showed minor signs such as sneezing, head shaking and twitchy fur. They all looked great. My dogs showed no signs, and the vet said that they didn't have mange. My problem began to clear once I started treating them as well as myself and my house. I used ivermectin and Sentinel. I still have my animals on treatment, and plan to continue for several months.

Systemic treatments were the only thing that worked for my pets. A veterinary dermatologist told me that topical treatments can fail because the mites can isolate themselves in the animals noses and sinuses. So the articles that talk about treating with flea shampoo, etc. are probably a little optimistic (I tried all of that-it didn't work for me). Revolution also failed in my case.

I highly recommend that you have your dogs tested for ivermectin sensitivity if there are any doubts about their breed, or if they are from an iver sensitive breed. If they carry a defective gene ivermectin will kill them (horribly). The test is $70 and can be done by mail with a cheek swab. Please read the first iver link for more info.

Cats are more sensitive to iver. They have poorly functioning livers and are poisoned easily. One of my cats reacted severely to iver and spent three days in the kitty hospital. I now have all three cats on Sentinel w/no problems.

I have used the iver link that I posted a couple of times, and I know someone who used this company for years for hunting dog meds. I have used the Australian company for flea meds for about six years now. No problems. Shipping is about two weeks, though. This is where I bought my Sentinel after the stuff from the vet ran out. The dosage for mange is high though, and expensive. See the first Cheylatiella article for more info. Sentinel for cats and dogs is the same. The vet derm gave me Sentinel for dogs for all of my animals.

Animal mite infestations in humans:

ttp://vetmedicine.about.com/gi /o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&s dn=vetmedicine&cdn=homegar den&tm=6&f=20&su=p 284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt= 0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//ww w.vetcontact.com/en/pdf.php%3F k%3D35

Cheylatiella and treatments- cats and dogs:

http://www.showboxer-l.com/mites.html

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterina...

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Medicine...

Mange treatment with iver, etc.- dogs:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

http://www.vetinfo.com/ddemotreat.html

http://www.boston-terriers.com/demodex.htm

Cats and iver:

http://www.pandecats.com/x/ivermectin-dosing....

Links for iver and flea meds (Sentinel, etc.):

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/274-Ivom...

http://www.petproductsontheweb.com/
Pokadot Patty

United States

#2 Feb 18, 2010
"Olive Oil" Solution For Cats

One vet recommended a cat owner to follow this protocol to help her infested cat:

Pour some Olive Oil into a spray bottle and spray 2 paper towels (lightly) with it.

Put one paper towel in each hand and then rub the pet with it from head to toe.

Do this once a week until the problem has been resolved.

The cat ower reports that this non-toxic, simple solution worked and that her cat has been mite free for some time.

It appears that the Olive oil makes the fur less attractive to parasites.

Bitey says her cats are doing much better after this treatment.

Patty
Pokadot Patty

United States

#3 Feb 18, 2010
have a 5lb. rat terrier and an 8lb. Min pin.
Both were constantly scratching, jumping up in their sleep like something was getting them, licking their feet constantly, and would have a lot of grainy sleep in the corners of their eyes.
Also had tiny white spects all over them.

The vet. found no lesions or skin irratations, but gave them Ivermectin orally...once a week for three weeks.
The itching continued.
The mites were riding around on them (human scabies) and would test bite them. They may have even taken a blood meal from them....I am not sure.
I would bathe them and they would be OK for a day or so and then it would start again.
I thought it was bird mites and had the Vet. perscribe Revolution spot on. Results were the same as bathing.
I used Neem Protect spray on them it would last for a day and was very expensive. Then I came up with this.

Here's a recipe for the spray on that I have come up with to treat my dogs, self and fabric furniture. For dogs and furniture leave out the generic Benadryl.

3 drops Lemongrass oil ( orange oil, lavender oil or lemon oil will work too. tehy all kill mites. I alternate them to keep the critters from developing a tolerance to them.)

1/5oz cedarwood oil
5 drops peppermint oil
2oz. reg. alcohol
7 capseals Generic Benadryl

In a 6oz. spray bottle mix alcohol and oils. Add water to almost full. Cut off end of capseals and pour into mixture. Shake for a few minutes. Spray all over until damp (mist over hair too). Human use with generic benadryl... Takes 4 or 5 minutes to penetrate...and you will notice the relief.

Has a med.strong cedar smell that disapates to nothing in a couple of hours. Any that bite die, but is a strong repellent for them.

Can be mixed in quantity by multiplying the ingredients.

Test on bare spot on dog to make sure they are not allergic.

NOT FOR USE ON CATS !!!!

Works for 4 hours on humans.Dogs only need to be treated once a day.
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#4 Feb 7, 2013
Bumping this thread for pet owners that have "this."

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#5 Mar 27, 2013
This is a great post. I have been battling scabies, and even though we get rid of them for a bit they always come back. For some reason I started researching mange as my dog's hair is starting to fall out and he stinks like no tomorrow and lots of crusty areas. He also has hypothyroidism that has been difficult to control so I assumed it was just that. Though, this makes SO MUCH sense!!!! I'm booking an appt with the vet for some meds asap. I have Ivomec here, and we have not done any sort of heartworm meds for about 6 months now, I'm just nervous about giving it to them without the vet knowing.

Thank you so much.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tea Tree Oil treating scabies? (Apr '07) 6 hr Thx Better Now 182
Epsom Salt & Absorbine Jr Works for Bird Mites !! (Sep '09) 20 hr JGR 50
Treatment advice--dogs with mange- owner with s... 20 hr Fairy floss 39
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) 21 hr scabdown 840
Giving Scabies to someone else? (Apr '09) 21 hr Mia 39
News Scabies not a big deal, officials say (Mar '09) Tue DC Dave 63
Urine and mud treatment Mon Laura 7
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Aug 21 H8-them 4,694
More from around the web