Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Patty,
You have pets, right? Have they shown any signs of scabies and if they have, how are you treating them and keeping from getting reinfected by them? I know human scabies aren't supposed to be able to live a full lifecycle on dogs and cats, but they can get on and burrow...then later get off and back onto a human host.

I want to thank you for your posts...they give me hope!
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Kojicat wrote:
Patty,
You have pets, right? Have they shown any signs of scabies and if they have, how are you treating them and keeping from getting reinfected by them? I know human scabies aren't supposed to be able to live a full lifecycle on dogs and cats, but they can get on and burrow...then later get off and back onto a human host.
I have a 5lb. rat terrier and an 8lb. Min pin.
Both were constantly scratching, jumping up in their sleep like something was getting them, licking their feet constantly, and would have a lot of grainy sleep in the corners of their eyes.
Also had tiny white spects all over them.

The vet. found no lesions or skin irratations, but gave them Ivermectin orally...once a week for three weeks.
The itching continued.
The mites were riding around on them (human scabies) and would test bite them. They may have even taken a blood meal from them....I am not sure.
I would bathe them and they would be OK for a day or so and then it would start again.
I thought it was bird mites and had the Vet. perscribe Revolution spot on. Results were the same as bathing.
I used Neem Protect spray on them it would last for a day and was very expensive. Then I came up with this.

Here's a recipe for the spray on that I have come up with to treat my dogs, self and fabric furniture. For dogs and furniture leave out the generic Benadryl.

3 drops Lemongrass oil ( orange oil, lavender oil or lemon oil will work too)
1/5oz cedarwood oil
5 drops peppermint oil
2oz. reg. alcohol
7 capseals Generic Benadryl

In a 6oz. spray bottle mix alcohol and oils. Add water to almost full. Cut off end of capseals and pour into mixture. Shake for a few minutes. Spray all over until damp (mist over hair too). Takes 4 or 5 minutes to penetrate...and you will notice the relief.

Has a med.strong cedar smell that disapates to nothing in a couple of hours. Any that bite die, but is a strong repellent for them.

Works for 4 hours.Dogs only need to be treated once a day.
Vann from Tennessee

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Patty,

"Before you quote what others have said you need to be sure you have it right!"

Here are quotes from your thread:
==========
* Don't just put it on. Rub it in.
* Better do some finger exercizes a day ahead because thay hurt after all that rubbing
* Too true!!! Now I rub with my palms.
* I just rubbed like hell the rash was going away as I rubbed I did not look at it was just glad to see it go
* The more I tried to rub them off with my hands the more came out. This went on for 5 hours before I decided to wipe off what I could and get some sleep.
* BKA,"I was just rubbing for bout 30 min's it takes your old skin off..."
* MikDee,"This leads to my question. Is it necessary to rub so much, or so hard, into the skin?
( others are also confused)"

IMO, the instructions for "Rubbing In" is confusing and needs clarification. Rubbing it in till the fingers are sore could mean anything. "Rubbed it like hell" is even more confusing.

What is your official advice for how hard to rub and for how long exactly, so as to eliminate the confusion? Intense rubbing seems to be a requirement. Yes? No?

Since we are dealing with a bunch of chemicals in this product, the more we rub into the skin, the more chemicals that gets into our body. I am not trying to nit pick, but I just think we need your expert advice on how long & how hard to "Rub it in."

Vann
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Kojicat wrote:
Patty,
I spray them 3 hours before bedtime (they sleep with us....under the covers). I do not spray around eyes, nose or mouths.

I also spray myself and husband on the night between treatments with the spray plus generic benadryl.

It has been a great help.
Patty
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Vann from Tennessee wrote:
Patty,
==========
* Better do some finger exercizes a day ahead because thay hurt after all that rubbing
* I just rubbed like hell the rash was going away as I rubbed I did not look at it was just glad to see it go
* The more I tried to rub them off with my hands the more came out. This went on for 5 hours before I decided to wipe off what I could and get some sleep.
* MikDee,"This leads to my question. Is it necessary to rub so much, or so hard, into the skin?
IMO, the instructions for "Rubbing In" is confusing and needs clarification. Rubbing it in till the fingers are sore could mean anything. "Rubbed it like hell" is even more confusing.
What is your official advice for how hard to rub and for how long exactly, so as to eliminate the confusion? Intense rubbing seems to be a requirement. Yes? No?
Since we are dealing with a bunch of chemicals in this product, the more we rub into the skin, the more chemicals that gets into our body. I am not trying to nit pick, but I just think we need your expert advice on how long & how hard to "Rub it in."
Vann
Vann,
Please don't start this up again.
Most of your so called quotes are not even mine and some ar lol's.
You do not see me going into your threads and picking them apart....which I could (DE under legs of bed....that's for bird mites not scabies. Scabies cannot travel as far or fast as bird mites.)
I am asking politely.
Please stop verbally assalting me !
Patty
Kojicat

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Vann,
I understood Patty's directions to mean rub it in until it is absorbed. I think all the rubbing you are referring to is rubbing the bugs off, not rubbing the conditioner in. That being said, yes... it is chemicals. Many (probably most) of them are clearly things I would not want to rub into my skin regularly for a very extended time, but I would certainly consider using it in conjunction with other preventative measures if it works as Patty describes. It sounds like it doesn't irritate the skin, and I had a terrible time with the DE irritating my skin when I applied it in the grapeseed oil. I'm now using the grapeseed oil with some essential oils added to hydrate my skin. Thanks for the heads up on that!
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Vann from Tennessee wrote:
Patty,
==========
Vann
Vann,

I would also like to know what is it about me you just do not like?

Is it because I (and others) have pointed out the health hazards associated with DE use or are you just a manic depressive that needs to periodically insult someone?

Patty
buggie

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

I was at ross dress for less yesterday and the had 4 bottles of silk therapy shampoo on sale for $6.99 each. They didn't have any silk therapy leave in conditioner which is what I was looking for.
I will check at costco next visit.

Polkadot patty, have you tried bathing your doggie in arm and hammer powdered laundry detergent? Skf cured her dogs with it.
My adult daughter sleeps with her dog but she doesn't know better and is in denial about my experience. Luckily her dog is healthy no fleas etc. As prevention, I wash her sheets in hot water and arm and hammer deterg and put de on her mattress and I feed the dog 1 tsp de in his canned food.

To all: there have been many posts here and wise words from the head of a dermatology clinic derm doctor, he said in his 30 years experience humans can and do get scabies mites from their pets.

The mites don't care if you are dog cat or human. They adapt quickly to survive and they don't follow mans rules or outdated research studies. Bugs don't read the books. They eat them.
buggie

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Just ignore him patty.
Baraka

Flagstaff, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Hey Patty! I am new to the forum and have found your cautious advice very helpful. I just picked up some biosilk and rubbed it on my hands. After I while I started seeing very small black things. I have seen this before when I used RIT (for lice) on myself.

I have been battling this for 9 years. I have used permetherin and that didn't work. I also used this other stuff (can't remember the name) about 8 years ago that worked and I was cured for a while (another prescription). I was undoubtedly reinfected by friends or family I had inadvertently given it to. For some reason for the past 7 or so years I have not had any severe bumps or anything like that.

The worst part about this is that I have not been able to have a relationship with anyone for fear of infecting them. I have had two girlfriends in the past 9 years and both of them got it. It ruined both relationships. Since my symptoms are so mild I can't get doctors to believe me. I plan on getting some microscope slides and putting the black things that come out after using biosilk on them if I ever get enough money to go back to the doctor.
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

buggie wrote:
I was at ross dress for less yesterday and the had 4 bottles of silk therapy shampoo on sale for $6.99 each. They didn't have any silk therapy leave in conditioner which is what I was looking for.
I will check at costco next visit.
Polkadot patty, have you tried bathing your doggie in arm and hammer powdered laundry detergent? Skf cured her dogs with it.
My adult daughter sleeps with her dog but she doesn't know better and is in denial about my experience. Luckily her dog is healthy no fleas etc. As prevention, I wash her sheets in hot water and arm and hammer deterg and put de on her mattress and I feed the dog 1 tsp de in his canned food.
To all: there have been many posts here and wise words from the head of a dermatology clinic derm doctor, he said in his 30 years experience humans can and do get scabies mites from their pets.
The mites don't care if you are dog cat or human. They adapt quickly to survive and they don't follow mans rules or outdated research studies. Bugs don't read the books. They eat them.
Very good point !
Can not do DE in my dogs food. Mine eat dry food and the smallest one has allergies that effect her sinuses.

I tried DE for 3 months and it made the dogs and myself sick with sinus problems and asthma attacks.
Did not help with scabies.

By all means...if it is working for you....great. Just continue what ever works.

Patty
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

buggie wrote:
Just ignore him patty.
Buggie,

That's exactly what my husband said and I think I'll take both your advice.
Patty
Baraka

Flagstaff, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I also agree with buggie. I know im new here and don't want to start any fights but I think we should all pretend vann is not here because he is not really adding to the conversation.
birdmitestorture d

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Darn! I almost broke my neck getting up in the bath tub after soaking in A&H. This is getting dangerous. I read that Benzyl Benzoate occurs naturally in the Ginger roots, I'm planning this week end to boil lots of Ginger root and use the liquid for bath and shampooing, and also for drinking! what the heck! I keep experimenting, but defenitelly I won't try the bleach on my skin. Now there's big snow storm coming, and I hate to be home bound with this nightmare, can't wait fot springtime and summertime!
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Baraka wrote:
I also agree with buggie. I know im new here and don't want to start any fights but I think we should all pretend vann is not here because he is not really adding to the conversation.
Dear,

It doesn't matter if you have been here a minute or a month....you have a voice and I hear ya!!!

Patty
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Baraka wrote:
Hey Patty! I am new to the forum and have found your cautious advice very helpful. I just picked up some biosilk and rubbed it on my hands. After I while I started seeing very small black things. I have seen this before when I used RIT (for lice) on myself.
I have been battling this for 9 years. I have used permetherin and that didn't work. I also used this other stuff (can't remember the name) about 8 years ago that worked and I was cured for a while (another prescription). I was undoubtedly reinfected by friends or family I had inadvertently given it to. For some reason for the past 7 or so years I have not had any severe bumps or anything like that.
The worst part about this is that I have not been able to have a relationship with anyone for fear of infecting them. I have had two girlfriends in the past 9 years and both of them got it. It ruined both relationships. Since my symptoms are so mild I can't get doctors to believe me. I plan on getting some microscope slides and putting the black things that come out after using biosilk on them if I ever get enough money to go back to the doctor.
That is a very good idea.
Have you thought about asking the local health department where you could send some slides for bug identification.
Most would have no or just a very reasonable charge.

Keep me posted,
Patty
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

birdmitestortured wrote:
Darn! I almost broke my neck getting up in the bath tub after soaking in A&H. This is getting dangerous. I read that Benzyl Benzoate occurs naturally in the Ginger roots, I'm planning this week end to boil lots of Ginger root and use the liquid for bath and shampooing, and also for drinking! what the heck! I keep experimenting, but defenitelly I won't try the bleach on my skin. Now there's big snow storm coming, and I hate to be home bound with this nightmare, can't wait fot springtime and summertime!
Another good idea ! That's what I mean when I say we have to try new things because it is obvious the old ones didn't work.

No more skating in the tub for you (LOL) or your grounded !

Please be careful and keep me in the loop,
Patty
Pokadot Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

UPDATE:

Completed mine and husbands treatment (bady and scalp) tonight.

Many new hatches no egg layers and number is about half of what it was day before yesterday.

Have started using the cedarwood spray on myself before I go to bed ( to deter any loose ones from aquiring me). Husband says I smell good....like a cedar closet (lol).

No itching. No red bumps or rash. No itchy scalp.

I have been washing all clothes in A&H and a cup and a half of ammonia (Thanks Itchygirl) in warm water. Let soak 30 minutes. Bounce fabric softener sheets in dryer (the waxie stuff on them coats the bug and/or traps them in the lint filter).

I mop my floors with 4 cups of color safe bleach (hydrogen peroxide) WalMart brand pink lable and 2/3 cup of pine sol adding just enough water to make up 2 gallons. I leave them pretty wet and let them air dry. Every other day.

I cleaned my carpets with 2 cups color safe bleach and hot water. Repeated 6 days after to kill any straglers.

Spray my cloth furniture lightly with Cedarwood solution (1st time all over after that just what has been sat on or jumped on by pets).

Desk chair gets ammonia (1 cup) and alchohal (1 cup) and 2 cups water....sprayed nightly.
Wood furniture is wiped with lemon oil furn polish as needed.

I am on the third night of using the same bedding.
I turn back the covers and spray pillows and bottom sheet with alchohal and ammonia spray. Then pull covers back up and let them dry (at least 3 hours before bedtime). There is no smell left at bedtime.

Spray dogs with cedarwood spray w/o benadryl 3 hours before bedtime.

Everything else gets the ammonia and alcohol spray ( sinks, bath tub, toilets...etc.)

I vacaum as needed.. traffic areas only.

So far ....so good ( this is day 18 of this treatment)

Patty
Baraka

Flagstaff, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I love how you can keep a sense of humor Patty. Keep it up.
MikDee

Milford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

birdmitestortured wrote:
I use the A&H Clean burst in the bath, I think it works even better then the unscented one. I think, the whole idea of why it works is, it leaves a slightly slimey coating on the body the mites don't like to bite, or crawl in. Thats the best part about it, but be careful in the tub.

I bathed in bleach one night, and my skin felt good, but it didn't keep the bugs away much in bed.

I use windex to spray the bed it works, I tried alcohol one night, and it didn't last the whole night through, back to windex.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of374
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

127 Users are viewing the Scabies Forum right now

Search the Scabies Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Inspections, Compliance, Enforcement, and Crimi... 1 hr Scabiesxnightmare 2
Albendazole (Valbazen) Curing Me (Oct '13) 10 hr ashleyshere 1,177
Pin Prick & Crawling Sensations? Post Scabies T... (Apr '12) 17 hr MeHere 187
Suicide because of Scabies? (Oct '09) 20 hr Worried 197
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Thu Ling 4,085
Natural cure for scabies (Feb '07) Thu Getting better 45
garlic --30 fresh cloves daily (Dec '11) Thu FRED 7
•••
•••