Can I Mix Permethrin 10% with Lotion ...

Can I Mix Permethrin 10% with Lotion to make 5% Permethrin Cream?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
redboxrazor

Cockeysville, MD

#1 Jul 10, 2009
I'd assume that mixing them at a 1:1 ratio would be safe. Permethrin 10% is inexpensive and freely available at lawn and garden shops...

Has anybody else had any success with this?
MR AL

Olympia, WA

#2 Jul 10, 2009
redboxrazor wrote:
I'd assume that mixing them at a 1:1 ratio would be safe. Permethrin 10% is inexpensive and freely available at lawn and garden shops...
Has anybody else had any success with this?
Permethrin 10%? Hmm.. Good luck that is very dangerous..
Becoming Scabies Educated

United States

#3 Aug 30, 2009
Wish someone would really answer this thread! Of course you would dilute it in half...
The 10% stuff is cheap and readily purchased--But how do you know for sure about the PBO issue? Also Martins & Durvet's product I believe DON'T have PBOs... But I'm nervous about using it (diluted in half) because it's INSTRUCTS say to greatly dilute it for livestock--but is that because they're assuming it's for repellant rather than treatment purposes? Does anyone know if vet's ever prescribe it for treatment full strength?
Also, it seems (1/2 diluted)it would be good for clothes dipping (which is supposed to last for weeks (even through a few washings!)... Please, does anyone know?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jenn _Phoenix Az

AOL

#4 Sep 13, 2009
I have battled these demons 4 years and spent so much money and have only put a bandaid on the situation so depressing the medical community do not observe this as a credible medical problem my Drem Dr thought I was crazy after 3 times seeing her they do not understand this diaese so they do not aknowledge I read the most amazing info that a guy had posted on here and that is that Prem Creme works but the directions are so outdated back from the 70's so he tried the creme and left it on 36 hrs instead of 8-12 hrs with all usual cleanings, borax, BB, Clorax baths, DE, Iver, Teatree, Neem I have tried it all to no aval just bought more Prem creme from canada with no prescription very easy will leave on 4 48 hours will report back
Becoming Scabies Educated

United States

#5 Sep 13, 2009
Note for Jenn Further down...
THREAD NOTE: I did mix a non-petroleum distillate 10% permethrin (AGRIpharm Exit X Multi purpose insecticide, I assume equiv to Martins)... I finally did enough researching to ignore label dilution instructions, became reasonably convinced Permethrin is relatively safe
(I think some of the dilutions are to protect the environment) and mixed it with 1/2 sesame oil. I left on 18 hours and didn't experience any adverse effects (it cleared up the outbreak on my face, thank God--but as you'll read below Permethrin doesn't seem to work for me)

Thanks, Jenn-let me know how it worked! So far I figure I have permethrin resistant scabies; I've tried twice--I did human RX lotion 5% for about 20 hours, and then the 1/2 livestock 10% mixed with sesame oil (one blogger said it's a pbo of sorts). In both cases (plus also with lice shampoos)it seems to paralyze the scabies--perhaps even killing off some (much?) of the population?... When I say "paralyze" I say that because at first it's such a relief and the bites stop, the scittering bugs stop scittering... But then after I wash off they quickly come right back!(back to life from the paralysis? Or just new ones hatching?--that's hard for me to believe--I don't have Norwegian and have only had scabies for 3 months Plus I've done Ivermectin (horse)every 4 days since Sept 1 (so for 12 days) so I can't imagine I have that many new eggs hatching... Furthermore I can spot treat "itching" with permethrin and it works until I wash it off...
wtm

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Sep 23, 2009
I stated on another thread, that I go to the store and buy the Large Dog flea and tick stuff. Look on the back and it should say Permethrin 45%.

Also get a large jar of Petro jelly, and some rubber gloves.

Put on the gloves, and cut the 4 Permethrin strips and pour into the bowl. Mix it slowly for about 5 minutes. Cover your body head (lightly in the hair) to toe, but not in the eyes or mouth. Put on some long johns, socks, and socks over your hands. Throw the bowl and gloves in trash. I also put a garbage bag over the pillow and then a pillow case. Should also be using a plastic sheet on the bed. These buggers are small and they crawl through pillows and sheets.

Sleep for about 8 hours, and then wash the stuff off. You will see most of the pimples gone, and your skin will be soft. You will also have some itchy for about a day, as when ever you use Permethrin, but it will not be a crawly itch.

Wash all your clothes in HOT water, with Arm and Hammer, and highest dry cycle.

I have had to do this several times, and worked great each time. Finally found out my cat was re-infecting me.

Also the Invermectin (Stromectrol) works great (Doctor only), works for about 7 days. It will kill anything that is in the skin and feeding on your blood. But you still need to do the Permethrin to kill the eggs that are not hatched yet !!! The Dog flea and tick is available over the counter !!

Also these mites are all "Cold-blooded" things, so I quit taking the hot baths as they just brought them out to run all over me. I instead tried to keep me cool, and put powder on the areas that I sweat in. Also dabs of Hydrogen Peroxide, which made the pimples dry up quicker.

Other things are to put plastic over your pillow and mattress !!

CHECK THE PETS !!!!!
Jan

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Apr 2, 2010
yes...you can use martin's. I mix half martins and half with lotion. My family did not die from it. I use the lubriderm lotion coconut because it has caster oil in it...to sufficate the those burgers. Plus scabies and mites hate coconut but having alittle caster oil in the lotion is more important. Alot of lotions use caster oil in their lotions. just read the ingredients on back. I leave on for 2 days. and repeat approximately 2 weeks later. Everyone in the household gets treated.

I wash my bedding in 2 cups of ammonia and keep doing it every week and then later 2 weeks and later on once a month. Unfortunately, since we are big people, those tiny tubes of elimite did not cover 1/4 of our body. So I had to come up with a cheaper solution.

And as I wash dirty cloths and towels...I wash in 1 cup of ammonia with regular detergent.

I spray my furniture and bedding mattress with BAYER SUSPEND SC....i do a pretty good soak and put fans on everything to dry it in a day. Schools use this stuff wrestling mats and stuff...so it is safe for kids. It is only $20. If you don't, you can get reinfected from your furniture. Don't forget to spray your car. Everytime you treat your body...treat furniture too.

As for itchies, I put 2-5ML of neem oil in 100mL of lotion. Any kind...but lotion with caster oil ingredient listed on back is better. So if your at work or something...you can just take it with you. It looks like you are just putting lotion on. We also use this for nighttime itchies or you will never get any sleep. sometime the scabies come to the surface, pick them off one by one...flush them in toilet paper.

I also put 2-5mL of coconut body wash and use it like soap. Until all the itchies seem to go away...I don't use it forever.

After that, I keep one bar of sulfur soap in bathroom and one regular bar of soap in shower. I wash with regular soap first and sulfur soap second. Just to keep them permanently away. Sulfur soap is great and not real potent. We tried sulfur cream once...but it was too strong and reddened our skin. But the soap is mild.

Make sure you treat your animals with ADVANTAGE drops and put them outside for 48 hours. So the bugs jump off outside.

Hope this helps anyone.
loopdeeloop56

Inwood, WV

#8 Jul 9, 2010
Yes ...Permethrin is not as strong as you are thinking on the skin. After 15 minutes the skin breaks down the Pemethrin and is no longer works on skin. However it is a chemical and should be used with cautionary thinking and good intuition. if you read, its safe for dogs, long term, maybe thier skin is tougher, but mixed with shampoos and lotion I think does as well as buying premade solutions. Reading the label of Permethrin 10% it says to wash with soap and water if contacted with skin but a dilluted amount is safer. the label says to wash it off because it doesn't do anything when not being used for the intent the package was purchased for. However, permethrin is used for many other purposes. A company that makes a permethrin mixture for your skin says its fine, a company that makes a permethrin mixure that wasn't their intended use for their product will not recommend it because they were never making the product for skin intially(like they are not specialiazed in skin care). But with enough knowledge of permethrin you can judge for yourself. Oh and hey its safe for dogs....i think thats more than a clue..your call!
naalmomma

Foley, AL

#9 Apr 9, 2011
i just got a potbelly pig two weeks ago, ever since then i have had this incredible itch that does not stop even wakes me up at night. My pig has sores all over and has mange mites, does this mean i have gotten mites from my animal? i have also bought permethrin 10% for his treatment, can i use it with lotion to get rid of this? No one else in the house has this rash.
Lisa

Ashburn, VA

#10 Oct 1, 2011
I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Permethrin) securedrugstock.com/order-acticin-online-en.h... I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.
P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 9sh73h
Cow Doctor

Lodi, CA

#11 Sep 4, 2012
UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE USING BEFOR YOU USE IT!!! do not mix at 50%.. when using "Durvet" Permethrin 10%,, read lable, to make a 0.5% sulation you must mix 6.4 oz. to a gallon of water. Mix this 0.5% sulation with a body lotion. It will not take much to cover your body. use 4 oz. lotion with 1.5 oz of the 0.5% sulation.
you can find "Durvet Permethrin 10%" at a farm supply store, any body lotion will work.
Josh

Wichita, KS

#12 Jan 5, 2013
I just bought the Permethrin 10% Multipurpose insecticide from Amazon.com . I am planning on taking my mattress outside and giving this a good spray on mist with a certain amount of the solution mixed in it.... Before I bought this the doctors prescribed me a tube of Permethrin cream %5... It worked pretty good as long as you are away from the situation. If you are in the same bed or in the same room you got it from and it's not clean. It seems as though they can hop around and get back on you... But being taken to a facility where I was able to be treated.. It went away with Hydrocortisone in a few days. This cream will stop the itching and kill the inflammatory. While be permethrin cream works on killing the mites and eggs. Also using benedryl can help ease the itching. Treating the area where you got this skin condition is highly recommended and it might seem more reasonable to do that while you are taking a break from that room. Right now, I'm contemplating on whether or not I can use the 10% solution in a washer cycle and also spray my bed with it.. Make sure to read the label... You have to protect yourself during this. Whether or not it is safe to mix with lotion, is unknown to me... but if you read the little book. It states to call poison control if you are in contact with it... You may not want to soak things with this solution either... The booklet suggests that you use a spray mist...
bugGedOUTb

United States

#14 Jan 18, 2013
loopdeeloop56 wrote:
Yes ...Permethrin is not as strong as you are thinking on the skin. After 15 minutes the skin breaks down the Pemethrin and is no longer works on skin. However it is a chemical and should be used with cautionary thinking and good intuition. if you read, its safe for dogs, long term, maybe thier skin is tougher, but mixed with shampoos and lotion I think does as well as buying premade solutions. Reading the label of Permethrin 10% it says to wash with soap and water if contacted with skin but a dilluted amount is safer. the label says to wash it off because it doesn't do anything when not being used for the intent the package was purchased for. However, permethrin is used for many other purposes. A company that makes a permethrin mixture for your skin says its fine, a company that makes a permethrin mixure that wasn't their intended use for their product will not recommend it because they were never making the product for skin intially(like they are not specialiazed in skin care). But with enough knowledge of permethrin you can judge for yourself. Oh and hey its safe for dogs....i think thats more than a clue..your call!

So I am losing my life and the la county so call county hospital has prolonged my treatment each step of the way. I've had this since aug 9 2012 it now jan 18th :(. I read all kinds of things online google was my nightmare and so was the dr's and then causing me to freak out cause this sh*t hurts!!! I never had any
kind of ance so I knew something weird was happening asap! Blistser black dots pimple all over, I lost my job got dropped from school my kids had to stay with family this whole time. I was label a crack head cause i 'm freaking ml with anxeity so they drug test me and then lable me as crazy and I they said I bad neurodermatitis without even testing my skin 15 times 3 drs not enough medicine and when they finally did they no one else will do the treatment cause" I'm crazy" :( dude I keep getting it and I'm not even catching it the way people assume. The creams cause scars so bad and between all the wrong medicine and bad dr and insulting nurses at the county hospital. I'm searching for relief so far everything have have told everyone from the start has been right but because I couldn't get help and am going through to much since I just lostg my husband I almost took my life thinking I was never gonna get help cause the people that should be helping haved ruinned my life. Well so mad cause I allowed everyone to doubt me my best friend who doubted me bought a micro scoope cause I told him what I almost did rushed out and got us a mircoscoop. Well I proved it to my self and was so happy and mad (need a laywer) that I almost did that and I was right. So I march in and someone finally believed me but stull only I had treatment so christman I open a gift and have more active burrows and it was in my ears they didn't helf when I begged for ear drop cause those suckers are in there ! He looked and saw it was inflammed and red but he wound not give me ear drops cause it wasn't an infection. What an as of course its not its an infestion of bugs that make it feel like an ear infection not I have and ear infection. I need more ivermectin and permetherin asap but I'm so broke from not working and trying to live the past 6 month with the longiest most exspensive nightmare that I need therapy over because it ruin my life and almost perfect never had a pimple skin. I just want my kids back home! Did it for sure go away and how unsafe ??? Like what's the use with caution part about it. I wanna just use it straight and everywhere ???
Jan

United States

#15 Jan 22, 2013
wtm wrote:
I stated on another thread, that I go to the store and buy the Large Dog flea and tick stuff. Look on the back and it should say Permethrin 45%.
Also get a large jar of Petro jelly, and some rubber gloves.
Put on the gloves, and cut the 4 Permethrin strips and pour into the bowl. Mix it slowly for about 5 minutes. Cover your body head (lightly in the hair) to toe, but not in the eyes or mouth. Put on some long johns, socks, and socks over your hands. Throw the bowl and gloves in trash. I also put a garbage bag over the pillow and then a pillow case. Should also be using a plastic sheet on the bed. These buggers are small and they crawl through pillows and sheets.
Sleep for about 8 hours, and then wash the stuff off. You will see most of the pimples gone, and your skin will be soft. You will also have some itchy for about a day, as when ever you use Permethrin, but it will not be a crawly itch.
Wash all your clothes in HOT water, with Arm and Hammer, and highest dry cycle.
I have had to do this several times, and worked great each time. Finally found out my cat was re-infecting me.
Also the Invermectin (Stromectrol) works great (Doctor only), works for about 7 days. It will kill anything that is in the skin and feeding on your blood. But you still need to do the Permethrin to kill the eggs that are not hatched yet !!! The Dog flea and tick is available over the counter !!
Also these mites are all "Cold-blooded" things, so I quit taking the hot baths as they just brought them out to run all over me. I instead tried to keep me cool, and put powder on the areas that I sweat in. Also dabs of Hydrogen Peroxide, which made the pimples dry up quicker.
Other things are to put plastic over your pillow and mattress !!
CHECK THE PETS !!!!!
WTM,
What did you do to kill the mites on your cat? I think our cats has feline scabies and we've gotten it from our cats. We tried using revolution every 2 weeks for months and it helped some but did not kill them. Now we are considering ivermectin for them and possibly boarding them for a month while we treat ourselves again with permethrin. Any suggestions would be helpful..
sotired

Pearl River, LA

#16 Feb 7, 2013
bugGedOUTb wrote:
<quoted text>.
So I am losing my life and the la county so call county hospital has prolonged my treatment each step of the way. I've had this since aug 9 2012 it now jan 18th :(. I read all kinds of things online google was my nightmare and so was the dr's and then causing me to freak out cause this sh*t hurts!!! I never had any
kind of ance so I knew something weird was happening asap! Blistser black dots pimple all over, I lost my job got dropped from school my kids had to stay with family this whole time. I was label a crack head cause i 'm freaking ml with anxeity so they drug test me and then lable me as crazy and I they said I bad neurodermatitis without even testing my skin 15 times 3 drs not enough medicine and when they finally did they no one else will do the treatment cause" I'm crazy" :( dude I keep getting it and I'm not even catching it the way people assume. The creams cause scars so bad and between all the wrong medicine and bad dr and insulting nurses at the county hospital. I'm searching for relief so far everything have have told everyone from the start has been right but because I couldn't get help and am going through to much since I just lostg my husband I almost took my life thinking I was never gonna get help cause the people that should be helping haved ruinned my life. Well so mad cause I allowed everyone to doubt me my best friend who doubted me bought a micro scoope cause I told him what I almost did rushed out and got us a mircoscoop. Well I proved it to my self and was so happy and mad (need a laywer) that I almost did that and I was right. So I march in and someone finally believed me but stull only I had treatment so christman I open a gift and have more active burrows and it was in my ears they didn't helf when I begged for ear drop cause those suckers are in there ! He looked and saw it was inflammed and red but he wound not give me ear drops cause it wasn't an infection. What an as of course its not its an infestion of bugs that make it feel like an ear infection not I have and ear infection. I need more ivermectin and permetherin asap but I'm so broke from not working and trying to live the past 6 month with the longiest most exspensive nightmare that I need therapy over because it ruin my life and almost perfect never had a pimple skin. I just want my kids back home! Did it for sure go away and how unsafe ??? Like what's the use with caution part about it. I wanna just use it straight and everywhere ???
I know exactly what you are talking about. I got lice about 4 years ago and have spent thousands! The nurses treat me like shit, one doctor told me she cant help me, another one said it's in my mind. My whole life has come down to trying to get rid of it! I even shaved my head! I bought a steam vac. I wash my sheets everynite. I have used everything you can think of. Nix, store brand stuff, Ulesfia, Listerine, alcohol, vinegar, bought an electric comb. Have put everything in my head and left it on all night, conditioner, petrolium jelly, teatree oil, pepperment oil, nothing works! my life is ruined.
JD Bond

Gainesville, TX

#17 Mar 4, 2013
Cow Doctor wrote:
UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE USING BEFOR YOU USE IT!!! do not mix at 50%.. when using "Durvet" Permethrin 10%,, read lable, to make a 0.5% sulation you must mix 6.4 oz. to a gallon of water. Mix this 0.5% sulation with a body lotion. It will not take much to cover your body. use 4 oz. lotion with 1.5 oz of the 0.5% sulation.
you can find "Durvet Permethrin 10%" at a farm supply store, any body lotion will work.
its a matter of decimal points - a .5% is not the same as 5%..5% is .005 whereas 5% is .05. this seems to be a common trick for otc preparations.
not so new2this

New York, NY

#19 May 23, 2013
wow I feel for you, many of us are finding our way through this, it's not so serious for everyone but it is for some. It's hard to know if reinfestation is happening from inside or the environment. Am pretty sure part of my problem is the mice that seem still to come, though less now. Anyway hand in there it gets better as some say.

YOU did right to send your kids away from this situation but it must be hard. Hope you can get counseling, that does not mean its all in your head like the stupid drs thought but anxiety is painful.

The world needs you!
lil

Santa Ana, CA

#20 Jul 4, 2013
Cow Doctor wrote:
i Am looking at the prescription in my hand. it says each gram has 50 mg of permethrin. Here is the math for the prescription from the drugstore. 1gram = 1000 miligrams. 50 miligrams = 5% of 1000 miligrams which equals 1 gram. Basic Math dictates That if YouWant The Same Strength As The Prescription My Doc gave Then You Can dilute the 10% by half with Lotion And End Up With The Same Thing. considering how expensive this stuff is i amtotally goimg to make more.
GMAW

Ville Platte, LA

#21 Sep 3, 2013
My husband and I caught this form one of our gradchildren. We have both been to the
Dr twice and even got oral permethrin. She said she can't help us further. They keep coming back! We bought the Permethrin 10% from Tractor Supply and mixed it with Gold Bond body lotion. It came out pretty thin, I think I should have used the had lotion? Anyway I have been washing bedding almost every day, spraying the matress, chairs, sofa, etc. I hope this works!
nikki

United States

#22 Sep 6, 2013
I hope it works to I'm trying it
GMAW wrote:
My husband and I caught this form one of our gradchildren. We have both been to the
Dr twice and even got oral permethrin. She said she can't help us further. They keep coming back! We bought the Permethrin 10% from Tractor Supply and mixed it with Gold Bond body lotion. It came out pretty thin, I think I should have used the had lotion? Anyway I have been washing bedding almost every day, spraying the matress, chairs, sofa, etc. I hope this works!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How can you get rid of scabies? 6 min John Latham 2
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) 10 hr Melanie RAPHAEL 823
Is this a Scabie Mite??? 13 hr guyinDISTRESS 1
News Scabies. 17 hr sandradottore 1
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 17 hr sandradottore 1,421
how to get rid of scabies and not get reinfested (Feb '13) Tue MightyChick 86
Apple Cider Vinegar (Jul '12) Mon Memo 30
More from around the web