Rodent Mites?
Vizio

Byrdstown, TN

#1 Mar 25, 2010
Hi again,

I am taking it easy today. I just washed my bed clothes and settled in on my plastic couch for a nap. I will probably sleep here tonight as I am too tired to make the bed...blah blah blah...I have to clean the kitty area later and try to treat them with olive oil. Or just clean the kitty area.

My hubby came home from work early today because I was upset after going to the doctor. Yeah it's all in my head! Do you see the bites and pinprick marks? The crawling, etc is just making me nuts. Anyway, I did find some mouse droppings in my basement after laundry. Hubby worked the area and we found a couple of more. The Orkin man left some bait traps down there but there are lots of droppings...We found a couple of dead mice and I saw something crawling. It appeared to be a little spider?? I windexed it but then hubby stepped on it..

We have a lot of boxes down there. Hubby went trough some and we are going to get them out of here. We will probably have to get rid of all the junk in the basement. We also found where they could be coming in from the outside and a couple of holes chewed in the basement. I haven't been able to find much info on rodent mites but does anyone know anything about them? Could this be my problem and would it be as bad as bird mites?
buggie

Houston, TX

#2 Mar 25, 2010
Hi vizio.
Yes, get rid all of possible sources ...birds, rodents, etc,as soon as possible.
Docs won't care until their family catches it or they get sued so don't waste your time and money on them.
If I were you...exhausted and not thinking straight...and with a big house to treat, I would spent about 500 bucks and buy the fogger and a few gallons of best yet by cedarcide and fog your entire house many times in the next month. But get rid of rodents after you fog the basement and fog before you attempt to move boxes. Its safe nontoxic. Ask for free shipping, personal sprayers, free stuff with your order...maybe something for your pet. I don't sell the product or get any benefits at all. It saved my sanity for sure at my darkest time. Olive oil is messy on a cat. If cat will tolerate it, best yet on cat is way better. Mine hated everything on her. Lymdip is great, buy at vets.

Since: Mar 10

Avon, NY

#3 Mar 25, 2010
Hi Vizio,
I understand! we had mice this winter..but they come in every winter and I never had this.(we live in the country) All I can figure out is that my dog ate some seeds I left out for the birds and maybe brought something in...NO SIGNS OF ANYWAY I GOT THIS! Also, bites didn't look bad because I had been putting diluted bleach on my skin when in the shower...so bites had reduced in number. My husband, dogs, no bites. But they kept coming after me! Have you tried Permethrin cream 5%? I covered myself in it...left it on for 14 hours, along with all the washing linens, clothes, vacuuming, spraying carefully with Onslaught. Itched like crazy after using it. Reapplied 4 days later (still vacuuming, washing etc...I am exhausted) BUT ... no crazy itching after 2nd application, still itch... and the directions say that can last even 4 months.. But not the 'it's crawing on me' feeling. and everything is much, much better.
I hope this will help you... It's so awful because we don't know where we got it (will it get us again?)--- the doctor doesn't sound sympathic...and we're the only ones in the family with it.
Good luck. I believe you.
sandy
Vizio wrote:
Hi again,
I am taking it easy today. I just washed my bed clothes and settled in on my plastic couch for a nap. I will probably sleep here tonight as I am too tired to make the bed...blah blah blah...I have to clean the kitty area later and try to treat them with olive oil. Or just clean the kitty area.
My hubby came home from work early today because I was upset after going to the doctor. Yeah it's all in my head! Do you see the bites and pinprick marks? The crawling, etc is just making me nuts. Anyway, I did find some mouse droppings in my basement after laundry. Hubby worked the area and we found a couple of more. The Orkin man left some bait traps down there but there are lots of droppings...We found a couple of dead mice and I saw something crawling. It appeared to be a little spider?? I windexed it but then hubby stepped on it..
We have a lot of boxes down there. Hubby went trough some and we are going to get them out of here. We will probably have to get rid of all the junk in the basement. We also found where they could be coming in from the outside and a couple of holes chewed in the basement. I haven't been able to find much info on rodent mites but does anyone know anything about them? Could this be my problem and would it be as bad as bird mites?
Vizio

Byrdstown, TN

#4 Mar 25, 2010
buggie wrote:
Hi vizio.
Yes, get rid all of possible sources ...birds, rodents, etc,as soon as possible.
Docs won't care until their family catches it or they get sued so don't waste your time and money on them.
If I were you...exhausted and not thinking straight...and with a big house to treat, I would spent about 500 bucks and buy the fogger and a few gallons of best yet by cedarcide and fog your entire house many times in the next month. But get rid of rodents after you fog the basement and fog before you attempt to move boxes. Its safe nontoxic. Ask for free shipping, personal sprayers, free stuff with your order...maybe something for your pet. I don't sell the product or get any benefits at all. It saved
my sanity for sure at my darkest time. Olive oil is messy on a cat. If cat will tolerate it, best yet on cat is way better. Mine hated everything on her. Lymdip is great, buy at vets.
Hi Buggie,

I am seriously thinking about it. You said you had birdmites?
merry beth

United States

#5 Mar 25, 2010
Vizio wrote:
Hi again,
Vizio
Do you see specks such as black pepper, they can be other colors
such as dark brown also. This freaks me out but I did buy the cedercide
fogger and I am hoping and praying this will take care of them.
I have been wondering if mine is rodent mites also. Prayers
are with you.
buggie

Houston, TX

#6 Mar 25, 2010
Vizio and merry beth,

If the source remains (like birdsnests in eaves, dead mice, cats, dogs, pets, you, hubby, etc) best yet by cedarcide will kill everything in the house where you fog but getting rid of or treating the source is still important. You have to fog daily or every 3 days in the first couple weeks. These things hatch every 3 days...seems to be the magic number. There's a video on youtube of how to fog. Its easy and fun. No need for crazy cleaning. Takes 5 minutes and leave house for 5 hours. Don't air out when you get back. Just cover computer air vents, dvd air vents, the 10% oil kills electronics trust me I killed a computer and 2 dvd players $$$$$. Fog car @ night so neighbors don't think its smoking and call fire dept. There's also products to spray outdoors.

Also, by fogging and having it handy to spray on yourself or any box you need to move or dead mouse you are picking up you know no mites or eggs are floating around in the air to get on your clothes or to be breathed in or to infest you.

Dr ben oldag entymologist (he invented cedarcide) says treat yourself with stromectal (oral ivermectin) at the same time. He's not a medical doctor so he won't say more so as to not be accused of giving medical advice. I went the horsepaste route after being assured by "someone" I trust (not ben) that its the same thing as prescribed stromectal.
merry beth

United States

#7 Mar 25, 2010
buggie
I have some questions please about fogging cedercide...Do I understand you that I fog
every day and then leave the house for several hours....that is going to be really hard on me.
Also each time you spray do you feel that there was less and less. Guess I just need reasurrance. LOL Do you spray or fog your bed each night? I have been spraying and using DE also. Did you still have bites after fogging your bed the first few times? I know I will have more questions but that is all now...I am sorry if these questions sound dumb. Thanks so much.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#8 Mar 25, 2010
'I went the horsepaste route after being assured by "someone" I trust (not ben) that its the same thing as prescribed stromectal.'

???

I've never asked to be trusted and nor have I given out advice ,I've only reported what I've experienced , nothing more and nothing less.
Vizio

Milan, OH

#9 Mar 26, 2010
sankirk42 wrote:
Hi Vizio,
I understand! we had mice this winter..but they come in every winter and I never had this.(we live in the country) All I can figure out is that my dog ate some seeds I left out for the birds and maybe brought something in...NO SIGNS OF ANYWAY I GOT THIS! Also, bites didn't look bad because I had been putting diluted bleach on my skin when in the shower...so bites had reduced in number. My husband, dogs, no bites. But they kept coming after me! Have you tried Permethrin cream 5%? I covered myself in it...left it on for 14 hours, along with all the washing linens, clothes, vacuuming, spraying carefully with Onslaught. Itched like crazy after using it. Reapplied 4 days later (still vacuuming, washing etc...I am exhausted) BUT ... no crazy itching after 2nd application, still itch... and the directions say that can last even 4 months.. But not the 'it's crawing on me' feeling. and everything is much, much better.
I hope this will help you... It's so awful because we don't know where we got it (will it get us again?)--- the doctor doesn't sound sympathic...and we're the only ones in the family with it.
Good luck. I believe you.
sandy
<quoted text>
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate and it's nice to talk to people who understand. I don't believe it's scabies. My dermatologist report just came back "insect bite". My regular m.d. told me it was all in my head when he took my stitched out yesterday. That was from the skin biopsy. I think this came from a kitten that we adopted that was a stray. I was affected first so I thought it was fleas, even though it was winter time. I treated for fleas. Then I thought it was bed bugs because it seemed that I woke up with the bites. I had two different pest control companies out and it was not bed bugs. I believe from what my vet told me that it is the walking dandruff mite. The cats are on a weekly dose of ivermectin and so am I. My husband hasn't really been affected but I think mites like women better for some reason. I have read that alot. I was convinced yesterday it was rodent mites and then bird mites. And then the world was coming to an end...Sleep deprivation will do that to you but got some sleep last night and a lot less crawling feeling. Today, going to do a bit of laundry, clean and love the cats later, gotta go to walmart, and clean up my area. No big cleaning sprees today. I have go to get more rest to battled this thing.

Since: Mar 10

Avon, NY

#10 Mar 26, 2010
Hey Vizio,
I've looked (obsessively) in the scientific literature and a great deal of mite research is in nameing new ones found...There are so many out there. From what I can tell about mine: bites are not like scabies (burrowing tunnels, bites in folds of skin) but more like a straw mite... bites on torso, arms, legs. and they live OFF the body. They're so small and clear (when not full of blood) they're impossible to see. I've spent hours (too many) looking through the microscope to find adults and nymphs... and have found a few. but even the labs (and this was my job as a medical technologist) are not that equipped to find to them. There are very, very few requests for finding mites. Most docs look at the bites, suggest the perm cream, and that's it.. also, I have a bird who sat on my shoulder when I didn't know what I had... He, like my husband, doesn't have anything!... so no bird mite?

with the washing etc... it seems really necessary, but if these guys are living on us... like bacteria... then it'll take more to get rid of them. I'm using isopropyl alcohol on the sites that really itch...

so sorry to go on and on... and I could.... just so good (and sorry) to find fellow mite harborer.
Vizio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate and it's nice to talk to people who understand. I don't believe it's scabies. My dermatologist report just came back "insect bite". My regular m.d. told me it was all in my head when he took my stitched out yesterday. That was from the skin biopsy. I think this came from a kitten that we adopted that was a stray. I was affected first so I thought it was fleas, even though it was winter time. I treated for fleas. Then I thought it was bed bugs because it seemed that I woke up with the bites. I had two different pest control companies out and it was not bed bugs. I believe from what my vet told me that it is the walking dandruff mite. The cats are on a weekly dose of ivermectin and so am I. My husband hasn't really been affected but I think mites like women better for some reason. I have read that alot. I was convinced yesterday it was rodent mites and then bird mites. And then the world was coming to an end...Sleep deprivation will do that to you but got some sleep last night and a lot less crawling feeling. Today, going to do a bit of laundry, clean and love the cats later, gotta go to walmart, and clean up my area. No big cleaning sprees today. I have go to get more rest to battled this thing.
Vizio

Milan, OH

#11 Mar 26, 2010
merry beth wrote:
<quoted text>
Vizio
Do you see specks such as black pepper, they can be other colors
such as dark brown also. This freaks me out but I did buy the cedercide
fogger and I am hoping and praying this will take care of them.
I have been wondering if mine is rodent mites also. Prayers
are with you.
I really believe it is a mite I got from my cats. I'm being treated and so are they but we just started this week. I need to give it some time. I'm going to better care of myself so I can fight this. I was upset and talked to my mom yesterday. Four days of very little sleep will do that to you. She left my husband a voice mail and thinks I need anti depressants now. No, I need to get rid of these mites. I'm glad I found this forum. Let me know how the cedarcide works for you.
Vizio

Milan, OH

#12 Mar 26, 2010
sankirk42 wrote:
Hey Vizio,
I've looked (obsessively) in the scientific literature and a great deal of mite research is in nameing new ones found...There are so many out there. From what I can tell about mine: bites are not like scabies (burrowing tunnels, bites in folds of skin) but more like a straw mite... bites on torso, arms, legs. and they live OFF the body. They're so small and clear (when not full of blood) they're impossible to see. I've spent hours (too many) looking through the microscope to find adults and nymphs... and have found a few. but even the labs (and this was my job as a medical technologist) are not that equipped to find to them. There are very, very few requests for finding mites. Most docs look at the bites, suggest the perm cream, and that's it.. also, I have a bird who sat on my shoulder when I didn't know what I had... He, like my husband, doesn't have anything!... so no bird mite?
with the washing etc... it seems really necessary, but if these guys are living on us... like bacteria... then it'll take more to get rid of them. I'm using isopropyl alcohol on the sites that really itch...
so sorry to go on and on... and I could.... just so good (and sorry) to find fellow mite harborer.
<quoted text>
Hey Sandy,

I think I found a couple of sample mites yesterday. One was on my face when I looked in the bathroom mirror. Then a few minutes later, I found one on my bed. I was able to get them on a piece of scotch tape but I think they were already dead. I e-mailed my local ag office this morning to see if they could recognize them or direct me to someone who can. I was happy to get something and know that I'm not losing my mind. I was reading somewhere online last night about a woman who also was suffering from the walking dandruff mite. She was told the same thing by her dermatologist that it was an insect bite (tell us something we don't know, right) She saw a couple of other derms and doctors and got nowhere. She said she went to a derm conference with a sample from her ear. They diagnosed it as the walking dandruff mite. My derm perscribed me another itch cream but I never had it filled. I have more creepy crawling feelings now. I had more itching in the beginning.
buggie

United States

#13 Mar 26, 2010
Vizio, sankirk, everyone,
I understand.
I am very selective who I tell about this now. Its better to talk about it here than with family or friends. occasionally an old friend will force me to tell them why I dropped off the face of the earth, and ill reluctantly tell them. I had to be prepared that they won't believe me, but a few friends surprised me and gave full support. The people I assumed would support me turned their backs on me in my darkest hours. My best friend invited me to escape to her house 500 miles away and when I got there, her plan for me was to live in a motel my expense. I wasn't allowed in her house or even a tent in her backyard. Many angels have turned up but not in expected places.
In a month or so you'll all be experts at this and helping the newbies.

Ps beng1, I was referring to dr ben oldag creator of cedarcide.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#15 Mar 26, 2010
Aplgs buggie. I wish cedarcide was available here :(

'The people I assumed would support me turned their backs on me in my darkest hours.'

I've experienced the same ;it's through this forum that I've found the help and support I needed....
buggie

United States

#16 Mar 26, 2010
Thanks ben.

The 3rd doctor I went to oct 2008 said, "I believe you." It was such a healing thing to finally hear and I felt such relief. He even suggested and prescribed ivermectin and was disappointed that his microscope wasn't working. Unfortunately the clinic was so busy there was no followup and I got lost in the shuffle. With his one $44 oral dose of ivermectin I didn't feel a bug for THREE days ...huge relief...until I went to an alanon meeting that was in a dusty carpeted library room full of old books (mites thrive in carpet and paper). After the meeting I saw a notice on the door saying there had been an enormous flea infestation in that room and it had been sprayed so no dogs allowed anymore.
I must have had the pheramones to attract leftover mites or collembola (they live on fleas) and the next day I felt mites again for another 7 months until I got $6 feedstore iver and $5 pomado de azufre.
Anonymous

Europe

#18 Mar 30, 2015
Hi there, just wanted to add my story. 6 months and counting now. Drove me to the brink of a depression and 4 weeks off work. Currently going through the rigamarole of seeing a Dermatologists who ignores me completely when I say I'm being bitten.

The worst thing is that I cannot find a specimen, I just feel the crawling and very definitely the biting. I've tried everything, the only thing that seems to bring some relief is showering every night before bed and making my bed the sanctuary. If I'm on my sofa til late at night it gets so much worse, has anyone else noticed a "cycle" to the biting? For me Sun/Mon nights are the worst with it gradually tailing off at the end of the week.
Bonbit57

Millington, TN

#22 Apr 1, 2017
benG1 wrote:
'I went the horsepaste route after being assured by "someone" I trust (not ben) that its the same thing as prescribed stromectal.'

???

I've never asked to be trusted and nor have I given out advice ,I've only reported what I've experienced , nothing more and nothing less.
Horse paste ? Need more info???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is anyone else seeing the mites and picking fro... (Nov '10) 6 hr Meka 19
Take it to the next level: Albendazole and Praz... (Jul '13) 17 hr fighting2 55
How to soothe post scabies itch? 21 hr sdcsteve 4
Scabies Clinical Trials Details United States 21 hr sdcsteve 18
How does Ivermectin work exactly? (Mar '11) Fri Laroc17 132
Happy Jack's Kennel Dip II (Sep '11) Fri Derrell 21
Deet for scabies? (Jun '13) Fri Derrell 13
More from around the web