sickoftheitch

Austin, TX

#21 Feb 13, 2009
Oh and I forgot two other possibilities, my cat who at one time actually slept in my bed (now an exclusively outdoor cat that I pet with gloves, poor thing), rats had infested my house and I got rid of them right with traps around the time I started to feel itchy. SO, who knows!

Since: Feb 09

Fredericksburg, TX

#22 Feb 14, 2009
panicked in Florida wrote:
I was just wondering where people are catching these. When did you first notice the rash and the itch and can you trace where you got it?
I got mine from a European Day Spa in St Augustine. I suspect I visited 2-3 times and each visit cost me $100. The rash I had on my neck I thought was an allergic reaction to the hair dye.
I visited 3 different physicians, 1 of them a total of 3 times. None of them suspected scabies.
I thought I'd take a survey, find out what's your story?
Hey Panicked,

I'm glad you asked this question. I'm not sure where I got scabies, but I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities: 1) I shook a cable guy's hand and he had what I later found out looked like scabies on both his forearms and his neck, 2) My ex-neighbors dog, 3) I washed a comforter in a public laundromat because it wouldn't fit in my machine at home.

I've seen over 12 dermatologists in 3 months. All of them told me none of these possibilities were plausible and that I most likely contracted it sexually -- interesting because I was almost the victim of sexual assault last year so I've been weird about dating and stuff and have not had sex since. When I tell docs this the a-holes act like I'm lying. BTW, only four correctly diagnosed scabies the others suggested spontaneous seborreah, psoriasis, or my fave -- dry skin. I've had to beg for ivermectin -- Permethrin was useless for me. I'm still fighting it though. I can only seem to get 1 dose of iver per amenable doc, if that. They act like iver is a street drug.

Also, someone on this thread suggested that these mites have evolved. I think they could have evolved or had at least some basic genetic mutation since the latest US studies. The most recent studies about scabies that took place in the U.S. were in the '70s. I think the American medical community is ridiculously ignorant about scabies and treats its victims horribly.

Because of the nature of managing this problem I've already spent several thousand dollars solely on keeping the spread of it contained, I haven't even been cured yet. Ugh.

I'm not even speaking to my family right now. Over x-mas someone suggested that I was doing this to myself because they read on the internet that scabies could be easily treated. One of my siblings suggested I was doing this for attention. I guess looking like a leper and not going on in public is their version of getting attention.

Sometimes I feel like I'm too exhausted to keep fighting. Thank god for this forum,

Take care and best of luck getting over this hell.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#23 Feb 14, 2009
ihatedoctors wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Panicked,
I'm glad you asked this question. I'm not sure where I got scabies, but I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities: 1) I shook a cable guy's hand and he had what I later found out looked like scabies on both his forearms and his neck, 2) My ex-neighbors dog, 3) I washed a comforter in a public laundromat because it wouldn't fit in my machine at home.
I've seen over 12 dermatologists in 3 months. All of them told me none of these possibilities were plausible and that I most likely contracted it sexually -- interesting because I was almost the victim of sexual assault last year so I've been weird about dating and stuff and have not had sex since. When I tell docs this the a-holes act like I'm lying. BTW, only four correctly diagnosed scabies the others suggested spontaneous seborreah, psoriasis, or my fave -- dry skin. I've had to beg for ivermectin -- Permethrin was useless for me. I'm still fighting it though. I can only seem to get 1 dose of iver per amenable doc, if that. They act like iver is a street drug.
Also, someone on this thread suggested that these mites have evolved. I think they could have evolved or had at least some basic genetic mutation since the latest US studies. The most recent studies about scabies that took place in the U.S. were in the '70s. I think the American medical community is ridiculously ignorant about scabies and treats its victims horribly.
Because of the nature of managing this problem I've already spent several thousand dollars solely on keeping the spread of it contained, I haven't even been cured yet. Ugh.
I'm not even speaking to my family right now. Over x-mas someone suggested that I was doing this to myself because they read on the internet that scabies could be easily treated. One of my siblings suggested I was doing this for attention. I guess looking like a leper and not going on in public is their version of getting attention.
Sometimes I feel like I'm too exhausted to keep fighting. Thank god for this forum,
Take care and best of luck getting over this hell.
Read page 5 of Scabies is Highly contagious, that really long thread.
feduptothemax

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Feb 15, 2009
I thought someone had cursed me too at first, still not sure someone hasn't.
jenn

Thunder Bay, Canada

#25 Feb 19, 2009
When I had scabies it was the most horrible thing , I felt uncomfortable around everyone and thought it would never end,there is a quick way to end your breakout safely. Permethrin does not work folks if you have had scabies for a couple weeks and it is dangerous.

"STOP Scabies Pain And Itching From Home, In 24 Hours Or Less With No Doctors, No Wasted Money, And No Drugs..."

http://dwarfurl.com/15b76
i can help u

Croydon, PA

#26 Feb 19, 2009
take all your clothes, towels, blankets, sheets, just everything you have and take it to the laundromat and wash them in hot hot water everything. use amonia buy 2 bottles use alot and tide. after wash put in hot hot dryer for about an hour make sure u wash pillows too. everything. while you are out washing the clothes set off alot of foggers in every room. by a can of raid and spray all your funiture and bed spray alot and carpet too. and you need to get the medication from your doctor and treat your self the night before you do all this. and after a week do it all over again and make sure everyone is treated and dont let anyone in your house if you think they have it. make them do the same thing and make sure you let people know if you think they have them. p.s. if you have cats or dogs get rid of them you will be much happier.
i can help u

Croydon, PA

#27 Feb 19, 2009
and permethrin does work that is a fact. your dr. will give it to you and another treatment after about 7-10 days. you must do lots of cleaning for at least two weeks.

Georgetown, TX

#28 Feb 20, 2009
panicked in Florida wrote:
I was just wondering where people are catching these. When did you first notice the rash and the itch and can you trace where you got it?
I got mine from a European Day Spa in St Augustine. I suspect I visited 2-3 times and each visit cost me $100. The rash I had on my neck I thought was an allergic reaction to the hair dye.
I visited 3 different physicians, 1 of them a total of 3 times. None of them suspected scabies.
I thought I'd take a survey, find out what's your story?
Oh yeah ~ we were able to trace it back to my son's old boss. He would always ride in her car and he was with her constantly. He had noticed that she had red, itchy bumps on her and he asked what it was. She told him that she had slept over at a friend's house and that the dog slept with her (in the bed) and so it was flea bites! He thought nothing of it. He also never associated it with the red itchy bumps that he broke out with a month or two later.

Since it just looks like an allergic reaction to "something" (which it is), and because of the fact that he is highly allergic to EVERYTHING you can imagine, I told him to change laundry soaps!!:-( I also put him on benedryl (sp) and had him put cortizone cream on them. He would never take the meds as directed and the bumps kept getting worse. I believed that was because he wouldn't take the medication like I told him to. So we went for months - and I do mean months - with him having this and spreading it all around my house - before he finally broke down and went to the dr. Then he was diagnosed with scabies.

I thought, for the longest time, that he had maybe "caught" something from the girl he was dating (herpies). Because by the time he showed it to me it was already in his groin area. But it didn't look like herpies (or at least not the pics that I have seen of herpies) and when I asked him questions regarding the symptoms they didn't match up to herpies.

So anyway, yes. We were able to trace it back to exactly where he got it - OR - at least we think we have. Otherwise, if it's not from his boss, then NO we don't have any clue.

Georgetown, TX

#29 Feb 20, 2009
i can help u wrote:
and permethrin does work that is a fact. your dr. will give it to you and another treatment after about 7-10 days. you must do lots of cleaning for at least two weeks.
My son was prescribed Lindane (sp). And maybe - JUST MAYBE - had we been able to get the dr to treat THE WHOLE HOUSEHOLD at the same time as my son - the maybe myself and youngest son wouldn't have gotten it so badly. But the problem was finding a dr that would prescribe for the whole family. I went through three drs before finding one that would treat everyone at time. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

You can scrub, wash, freeze, clean, do anything and everything - but if the whole family doesn't get treatment all together then you're just basically waisting your time. And drs find it very hard to treat someone who has NO "outward" signs" (as I had). I had to wait until I had breakouts before they would treat me. Now I can't seem to get rid of it....:-(
tough love

Oak Harbor, WA

#30 Feb 20, 2009
i can help u wrote:
take all your clothes, towels, blankets, sheets, just everything you have and take it to the laundromat and wash them in hot hot water everything. use amonia buy 2 bottles use alot and tide. after wash put in hot hot dryer for about an hour make sure u wash pillows too. everything. while you are out washing the clothes set off alot of foggers in every room. by a can of raid and spray all your funiture and bed spray alot and carpet too. and you need to get the medication from your doctor and treat your self the night before you do all this. and after a week do it all over again and make sure everyone is treated and dont let anyone in your house if you think they have it. make them do the same thing and make sure you let people know if you think they have them. p.s. if you have cats or dogs get rid of them you will be much happier.
You have good advice about treating the environment, I just think getting rid of pets is not good advice, but I can totally understanding the frustration of this problem. Our pets are innocents in this problem as we are. It would be nice if doctor and vets were more aware of the problem and the homeless animals it is creating by people "getting rid of them" Glad you are feeling better, thanks for your help. But please people , if you have pets , and you have mites, treat you pets for the problem too. Good luck .
jenn

Thunder Bay, Canada

#31 Feb 21, 2009
When I had scabies it was the most horrible thing , I felt uncomfortable around everyone and thought it would never end,there is a quick way to end your breakout safely. Permethrin does not work folks if you have had scabies for a couple weeks and it is dangerous.

"STOP Scabies Pain And Itching From Home, In 24 Hours Or Less With No Doctors, No Wasted Money, And No Drugs..."

http://dwarfurl.com/15b76
SCABIES DILEMA

Bristol, UK

#32 Feb 21, 2009
I hate scabies! it has seriously got me down in the dumps. I never new something could be so traumatising! i got it from this boy and got kicked out a few weeks later. so i stayed round a good friend of mine for about a week. but now i know she has it because she showed me the rash i dnt know wether she thinks its me or not that passed it on. i just cant find the guts to tell her. i told my best friend and im seriously scared that shes going to tell her. and then everyone will find out. the thing is a few friends of hers have stayed over her house including my best friend.
What on earth should i do? if my best friend gets it she will know its from me n tell everyone :( i dont wanna lose all my friends why is this happening to me!?
i figure i have 2 choices;
1. just dont say anything and let them all get it and possibly be hated and blamed for the whole thing.
2. Tell my friends and just explain that its not my fault and advise them to all go to the doctors even though they could go mad at me.
Can anybody give me advice on wat to do?
please i feel so guilty and awful and depressed and this is not normal for me but i feel suicidal because just the sheer fear of them taking it the wrong way or hating me or telling everyonejust scares the shit out of me.
plz comment back soon xxxx

Georgetown, TX

#33 Feb 21, 2009
SCABIES DILEMA wrote:
I hate scabies! it has seriously got me down in the dumps. I never new something could be so traumatising! i got it from this boy and got kicked out a few weeks later. so i stayed round a good friend of mine for about a week. but now i know she has it because she showed me the rash i dnt know wether she thinks its me or not that passed it on. i just cant find the guts to tell her. i told my best friend and im seriously scared that shes going to tell her. and then everyone will find out. the thing is a few friends of hers have stayed over her house including my best friend.
What on earth should i do? if my best friend gets it she will know its from me n tell everyone :( i dont wanna lose all my friends why is this happening to me!?
i figure i have 2 choices;
1. just dont say anything and let them all get it and possibly be hated and blamed for the whole thing.
2. Tell my friends and just explain that its not my fault and advise them to all go to the doctors even though they could go mad at me.
Can anybody give me advice on wat to do?
please i feel so guilty and awful and depressed and this is not normal for me but i feel suicidal because just the sheer fear of them taking it the wrong way or hating me or telling everyonejust scares the shit out of me.
plz comment back soon xxxx
NO suicidal thoughts!!! This (at least) isn't a fatal disease. Be thankful for that one!

And YES, you should tell anyone and everyone that you have been in close contact with. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. ANYONE can get this. It doesn't mean that you are bad. It doesn't mean that you are dirty. You just happened to be around "the wrong person at the wrong time". That's all.

Hell, I gave it to my boss and my co-workers before I ever knew anything was wrong with me. I had no symptoms or anything at that point. I'm afraid that with all the kids "my kids" hang around - it could become an epidemic before this over with.

And whatever you do, don't feel alone. You're not alone. Just read this board....

God Bless,
:-)
Just Dont Know

United States

#34 Mar 5, 2009
I am literaly freaking out about this too. I just found out yesterday that I have this after months of being told it was just dry skin or an allergic reaction. The doctor gave me premawhatever (don't have it in front of me but it seems to be a commonly perscribed cream that most people are convinced doesn't do anything to help the problem). I didn't even think that it could be something that is contagous and now I don't know how to tell anyone. The guy I have been seeing doesn't have any noticable signs yet but I know he could still have it. I am just freaking out because I don't know how to talk to him about it. My doctor tried to tell me that he might of given it to me and not even known he had it but I still don't know how to bring it up because we arnt that serious and I personally don't want to talk to anyone about it. I have no clue how I could have ended up with this but now I would do anything to get it to go away. I even feel like I itch more now then I did before (after the first treatment) because I feel like I can feel them all over me. I feel gross and dirty (and trust me I am far from being considered a dirty person) and it doesn't matter how many times someone tells me it isn't my fault I still feel like it is because who elses fault could it be if I have no clue where I could of gotten it from?I gone through the process of washing everything I own already but I still feel like they are everywhere... And after reading some of these posts I have gotten the feeling it is a lost cause anyway and I am probably going to have to dealwith this for much longer. How could I tell someone else that they might have to go through the same thing becauseof me and because my doctor kept telling me it was dry skin? Which I believed because I had no reason not to and I didn't know I could spread it to someone else... If I did I wouldn't of come in contact with anyone. But how am I supposed to explain that to someone I am just getting to know? When things seem to be going well? I don't want him to think I was sleeping with someone else or that I am dirty or anything. I don't want to be judged about something that everyone keeps saying is beyond my control. I just don't know what to do and don't know how to deal with this. What is even worse is a lot of sights are saying it is a STD... And that makes me feel really bad about myself. I don't know how to even go about talking to anyone about it... Please help me feel better if you can.
Anita C

Oak Harbor, WA

#35 Mar 6, 2009
Just Dont Know wrote:
I am literaly freaking out about this too. I just found out yesterday that I have this after months of being told it was just dry skin or an allergic reaction. The doctor gave me premawhatever (don't have it in front of me but it seems to be a commonly perscribed cream that most people are convinced doesn't do anything to help the problem). I didn't even think that it could be something that is contagous and now I don't know how to tell anyone. The guy I have been seeing doesn't have any noticable signs yet but I know he could still have it. I am just freaking out because I don't know how to talk to him about it. My doctor tried to tell me that he might of given it to me and not even known he had it but I still don't know how to bring it up because we arnt that serious and I personally don't want to talk to anyone about it. I have no clue how I could have ended up with this but now I would do anything to get it to go away. I even feel like I itch more now then I did before (after the first treatment) because I feel like I can feel them all over me. I feel gross and dirty (and trust me I am far from being considered a dirty person) and it doesn't matter how many times someone tells me it isn't my fault I still feel like it is because who elses fault could it be if I have no clue where I could of gotten it from?I gone through the process of washing everything I own already but I still feel like they are everywhere... And after reading some of these posts I have gotten the feeling it is a lost cause anyway and I am probably going to have to dealwith this for much longer. How could I tell someone else that they might have to go through the same thing becauseof me and because my doctor kept telling me it was dry skin? Which I believed because I had no reason not to and I didn't know I could spread it to someone else... If I did I wouldn't of come in contact with anyone. But how am I supposed to explain that to someone I am just getting to know? When things seem to be going well? I don't want him to think I was sleeping with someone else or that I am dirty or anything. I don't want to be judged about something that everyone keeps saying is beyond my control. I just don't know what to do and don't know how to deal with this. What is even worse is a lot of sights are saying it is a STD... And that makes me feel really bad about myself. I don't know how to even go about talking to anyone about it... Please help me feel better if you can.
Hey, this is life, you, me , all of us,even our pets have happened upon this inconvenience, please don't beat yourself or your partner up about this , you could ahve been sittin on a bus or shaking someones hand or giving then a hug and that.....so how could have so
easily obtained this mite.....so....don't bame or try to find blame...life happens and we are there and a part of it....just get busy treating, and don't blame....we don't know how this came upon us...it did and it is a par t of life...not always pretty or easy....but we deal with it......best of peace , health and love to you and yours.
noordinaryspider

Eureka, CA

#36 Mar 6, 2009
I apologize for the stereotype, but my child really did bring it home from public school.

I wish it was as easy as "just homeschool him" because I would love to.
BillyJo69

Georgetown, TX

#37 Mar 6, 2009
Just Dont Know wrote:
You gotta quit beating yourself up over the "STD" thing. A wrestler (I would think anyway) could just as easily get this as someone getting it during sex. It's not the "act" of sex that does it. It's the skin to skin contact!

Before you tell him just print out a bunch of information (real facts no hype) and give it to him to look over as you discuss it.

My son got it from his boss who he NEVER had sex with - he only rode around in her car with her!! I gave it to co-workers (boss included) just from us sitting in each others office chairs.

Try not to panic. If he blames you and/or then thinks badly of you for this - HE'S NOT WORTH IT anyway.:-)

God Bless and keep us posted.
noordinaryspider

Eureka, CA

#38 Mar 6, 2009
Oh,hun, don't even think about the STD thing. Both of my older children are partnered and my "outlaws" never thought they cheated! I told ds1's girlfriend because he was too upset to tell her himself (he's 17) and she THANKED me and treated right away before things got bad.

Kids get this a lot from schools and daycare. Check out a site called "babycenter" and print the info there off for your honey if it makes you feel better.

Here,let me see if they'll let me post a link:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_scabies_10904.bc

And people DO get over this, they just don't post because they want to get on with their lives.

I've got a kid here who has been clear for over a week and all we used on him was ONE dose of perm and a very mild sulfur cream from the ethnic hair section.

The big kids (17-24) did three rounds of perm and they're done too. I may well have delusions of delusional parisitosis myself at this point.
panicked in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#39 Mar 6, 2009
I convinced my Primary Care Doctor that I had Scabies based on the photos I saw on-line. I couldn't get in to see a Dermatologist for months so anyway I finally got to see a Dermatologist and they said that I do not have Scabies that I have Psoriasis. I asked him are you sure, check out the tracking, it's like connect the dots and they said they've seen Scabies cases before and that I do not have them.
Imagine? I took iver twice, my elbows are all rashy and my neck, I even have it on my ear, my leg. God I hope he's right.
He gave me some heavy duty steroid cream and took a swab of one of my red oozy rashes.
icky.
panicked in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#40 Mar 6, 2009
Hi Guys, sorry I haven't been on in awhile and missed all these posts till now.
I am so sorry for all this pain, suffering. I wsih you all the courage and the energy to conquer! Just remember, especially you.. Scabies Dilemma, it could happen to anyone, it just happenned to you. It just will make you stronger, and remember it will pass. You are bigger then this little mite. If other people catch it from you, it isn't your fault it's the nasty little bug. If they didn't catch it from you they might catch it from where you got it. Anyway you can be pissed at how you caught it and the bug but not at yourself, you are innocent. Don't you forget it, but if you haven't already, you do need to come clean and so what if you didn't right away, it's never too late. Just be honest tell the truth. Make sure it isnt Psoriasis. Best

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 36 min laura 4,123
Permethrin Works, Helps and Hurts - my scabies ... (Jan '10) 8 hr rubbing alcohol 280
Post scabies 8 hr rubbing alcohol 7
Scabies won't go away (Aug '06) 9 hr essential oils 1,193
Scabies Patient Released? 18 hr SRE 6
Scabies on eyelids,face,ears,scalp 18 hr SRE 24
How did your scabies start? 18 hr SRE 6
•••

Scabies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••