where does YOUR scabies come from?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
panicked in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#1 Feb 8, 2009
I was just wondering where people are catching these. When did you first notice the rash and the itch and can you trace where you got it?
I got mine from a European Day Spa in St Augustine. I suspect I visited 2-3 times and each visit cost me $100. The rash I had on my neck I thought was an allergic reaction to the hair dye.
I visited 3 different physicians, 1 of them a total of 3 times. None of them suspected scabies.
I thought I'd take a survey, find out what's your story?
Wanders

United States

#2 Feb 8, 2009
I caught mine from my boyfriend, after the itching was terrible like no other itch before I knew something was wrong, so I sit him down and told him I knew he had given me something... he eventually admitted to getting scabies from his sister, and he even said she gave him the lotion but he never used it, I was so mad... he knew he had this, but never told me... and he even had the lotion but never applied.. it was just so wrong, we aren't together anymore.. I have no social life now.. I stay in one room researching this everyday... trying everything to get rid of them.
panicked in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#3 Feb 8, 2009
Wanders wrote:
I caught mine from my boyfriend, after the itching was terrible like no other itch before I knew something was wrong, so I sit him down and told him I knew he had given me something... he eventually admitted to getting scabies from his sister, and he even said she gave him the lotion but he never used it, I was so mad... he knew he had this, but never told me... and he even had the lotion but never applied.. it was just so wrong, we aren't together anymore.. I have no social life now.. I stay in one room researching this everyday... trying everything to get rid of them.
I am so sorry Wanders. Have you tried ivermectin? Do you know where his sister got it? I am curious as to where it actually started with you and since it was his sister, she must have caught it from somewhere or someone.
I have to say that I think I am going to beat this. I took ivermectin on Friday and I will take another dosage on Friday again. You can get rid of it too. I know it.
duite

United States

#4 Feb 8, 2009
panicked in Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so sorry Wanders. Have you tried ivermectin? Do you know where his sister got it? I am curious as to where it actually started with you and since it was his sister, she must have caught it from somewhere or someone.
I have to say that I think I am going to beat this. I took ivermectin on Friday and I will take another dosage on Friday again. You can get rid of it too. I know it.
Hey panic,

are u feeling better yet? how is dog doing?
panicked in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#5 Feb 8, 2009
duite wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey panic,
are u feeling better yet? how is dog doing?
well a little better yes. the important thing is that my hands are healing. thank goodness. poor animal really showed no signs of scabies but we are getting treated anyway.
i found a couple of things that you might be interested in. there is a mite oil for cat or dog ears. it comes in a pkg with 3 little tubes and its suppposed to kill mites on contact. Its only about 4 bucks. Also I found this allergen spray for dust mites. It's a spray and it has bb in it. so, it's cool. you know ive never been a dirty person. Chances are if i didn't come in thru my hair i wouldnt have gotten this awful thing. the thing is my hair, sometimes after going to the beauty shop i dont wash my hair for a week. my hair is dry so i dont usually have to.
God, if I only knew that there was a little mite infesting my neck, yikes... You said you caught yours at Ritz? How are you feeling how long have you had this? i just found out last week but ive had it for awhile. Funny, the Doctors dont diagnose it.
duite

United States

#6 Feb 8, 2009
I am doing well, but have outbreak more so than ever, all of back, mst of stomache, and now thighs and part of calves(inside). weird no arms, no outside of calves, part of chest, no hands only the black specks i recently saw. I really need some iverm, but have almost sworn off docs. I have had this for 5 months now. Just before this came on I lost my mom and also walked into boyfriends house while it was being robbed(un-benosted to me) so I just thought I was having a stress related skin disorder. That is why I was so shocked when derm said it was scabies. I am sittig there in shock when cocky young nurse walks in and says--so you got the sacbies huh. then when leaving another nurse comes out where I am checking out and turns around immediately--goes around the office to other side to avoid being next to me--how humiliating. I may have responded that same as she--this has always been such a shameful disease
panicked in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#7 Feb 8, 2009
duite wrote:
I am doing well, but have outbreak more so than ever, all of back, mst of stomache, and now thighs and part of calves(inside). weird no arms, no outside of calves, part of chest, no hands only the black specks i recently saw. I really need some iverm, but have almost sworn off docs. I have had this for 5 months now. Just before this came on I lost my mom and also walked into boyfriends house while it was being robbed(un-benosted to me) so I just thought I was having a stress related skin disorder. That is why I was so shocked when derm said it was scabies. I am sittig there in shock when cocky young nurse walks in and says--so you got the sacbies huh. then when leaving another nurse comes out where I am checking out and turns around immediately--goes around the office to other side to avoid being next to me--how humiliating. I may have responded that same as she--this has always been such a shameful disease
God, Diute, that's awful. I'm so sorry for you. It is horrible and the thing is that the Doctors dont seem to want to help. It's crazy. Ivermectin is in the heart worm medicine for dogs and cats. This ivermectin is expensive though. I picked up my last refill, my doctor gave me 2. I'm thinking that if she had diagnosed it in the beginning I wouldnt have this problem. I almost feel like she should bare some of the financial burden. It's expensive as hell. I cant believe I got this. It's horrible. I dont know if I will go to the hairdresser ever again. Im horrified.
Wanders

United States

#8 Feb 9, 2009
He told me that his sister got it from her cat, but I never really believed that.... I had an appt. with another doctor today... but go figure, the rashs on my arms are almost all gone now, hmmm

I think Im gonna go and try to get ivermectin, Ive learned a lot from these forums . thanks to all of you, we can beat this Im sure of it also ;-)
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#9 Feb 9, 2009
duite wrote:
Maybe try a low income clinic. I think they are used to dealing with scabies and may give you some refills on ivermectin. ask for refills on permethrin 5% cream, too. In the meantime, do a search for sulfur on this forum. You can order it from americarx.com . mix 20% with 80% skin lotion and apply full body 24/7 for a few weeks, if you can tolerate it.
duite

United States

#10 Feb 9, 2009
Thanks Joe, I think it ws you that had posted the above website a few days ago and I ordered the sulfur this past weekend. The prem--I went through three tubes, was given me a weird kind of feeling--numbness, tingling, so I thought it may not be very good for me, and it helpedbut not cured me so I dont think it is worth the risk. But definitely sulfur and am going to try and get some iverm.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#11 Feb 9, 2009
duite wrote:
Thanks Joe, I think it ws you that had posted the above website a few days ago and I ordered the sulfur this past weekend. The prem--I went through three tubes, was given me a weird kind of feeling--numbness, tingling, so I thought it may not be very good for me, and it helpedbut not cured me so I dont think it is worth the risk. But definitely sulfur and am going to try and get some iverm.
there is discussion on this forum about how using a topical along with ivermectin has cured some people here. so, maybe the sulfur and iver will help you. yeah, i got sick from permethrin.
whyscabies

Surfside, CA

#12 Feb 9, 2009
Wanders wrote:
He told me that his sister got it from her cat, but I never really believed that.... I had an appt. with another doctor today... but go figure, the rashs on my arms are almost all gone now, hmmm
I think Im gonna go and try to get ivermectin, Ive learned a lot from these forums . thanks to all of you, we can beat this Im sure of it also ;-)
i got my scabies from my girlfriend. she started with a rash that we though was an ellergic reaction to a flea shampoo we used on our cat after the little bastard jumped out out window and spent his very first night outdoors. he was covered in fleas when we got it back.
as the rash got worse, we got rid of the cat. weeks later i got infected, went to the doctor and found out it was scabies.
the doctor told me it had nothing to do with the cat, but it coincided perfectly. the doctor prescribed me eurax. he said i'd get rid of them in a snap. now, a month after my first treatment, and three after the itching started, i realized my doctor was wrong about a lot of things except the diagnosis.
the cat brought the scabies into our house and spread them evenly around the apartment. we have had such an easier time controlling the scabies since the cat is gone.
Help For You

Hopewell Junction, NY

#13 Feb 9, 2009
panicked in Florida wrote:
I was just wondering where people are catching these. When did you first notice the rash and the itch and can you trace where you got it?
I got mine from a European Day Spa in St Augustine. I suspect I visited 2-3 times and each visit cost me $100. The rash I had on my neck I thought was an allergic reaction to the hair dye.
I visited 3 different physicians, 1 of them a total of 3 times. None of them suspected scabies.
I thought I'd take a survey, find out what's your story?
I got mine from someone I slept with because I hadn't slept with anyone in a while and once I slept with this person a few moths later I had the 'Itchies" When I called to tell that person I needed to speak to the in person because I did not want to discuss it over the phone contact slowly DIMINISHED
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#14 Feb 9, 2009
whyscabies wrote:
<quoted text>
i got my scabies from my girlfriend. she started with a rash that we though was an ellergic reaction to a flea shampoo we used on our cat after the little bastard jumped out out window and spent his very first night outdoors. he was covered in fleas when we got it back.
as the rash got worse, we got rid of the cat. weeks later i got infected, went to the doctor and found out it was scabies.
the doctor told me it had nothing to do with the cat, but it coincided perfectly. the doctor prescribed me eurax. he said i'd get rid of them in a snap. now, a month after my first treatment, and three after the itching started, i realized my doctor was wrong about a lot of things except the diagnosis.
the cat brought the scabies into our house and spread them evenly around the apartment. we have had such an easier time controlling the scabies since the cat is gone.
yeah, these type of scabies are harder to deal with - THE ANIMAL KIND..... much harder to get rid of. I call the human kind, "the vanilla variety." the docs will tell you that the pet variety cannot live on you, that they will "die out." NOT!!!! They breed and live on you.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#15 Feb 9, 2009
whyscabies wrote:
<quoted text>
Your cat had a wonderful time outside.... didn't he? smiling.
hughthehand

Largo, FL

#16 Feb 9, 2009
i believe i got mine from a rented carpet cleaner. mine are the bird mite variety. my buddy owns an office building. i cleaned the carpets in my office and others. then i took the machine home and did my home carpets.two days later, all hell broke loose. I ve been fighting this crap for a year now. Im using iver, permithrin and esp soap. Its not nearly as bad as it was. Before i was ready to skin myself.

Since: Dec 08

Slovakia

#17 Feb 10, 2009
When I first had scabies, a few years ago, I had caught it from my girl friend (note for nonbelievers: this girl is very pretty clean person who definitely does not belong to a low social class). Then I had infested many parts of my body included face but I do not remember my scalp being infested. It took months to rid of scabies. Almost a year ago I started to work at a new place where I believe I got infested from a dog that my colleague brings to work. (I suppose so because the dog is very itchy) I sat on an armchair where the dog often lies. My infestation started on back of my neck or scalp. Actually my scalp is infested the most. I have been fighting this for half a year now. Sometimes I think I am going to talk to my colleague about this but I am afraid I do not have balls to do that. Anyways I saw my physician and told her I guess I might have caught it from the dog but she told me dogs were infested with other type. I respect doctors (it must be very hard to graduate in medicine and they know a lot about health and diseases), but due to my own experience and experience of you fellow sufferers I think many doctors do not know much about scabies (or have outdated information on it and virtually do not really listen to patients and do not believe this can last so long).
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#18 Feb 10, 2009
crivens wrote:
When I first had scabies, a few years ago, I had caught it from my girl friend (note for nonbelievers: this girl is very pretty clean person who definitely does not belong to a low social class). Then I had infested many parts of my body included face but I do not remember my scalp being infested. It took months to rid of scabies. Almost a year ago I started to work at a new place where I believe I got infested from a dog that my colleague brings to work.(I suppose so because the dog is very itchy) I sat on an armchair where the dog often lies. My infestation started on back of my neck or scalp. Actually my scalp is infested the most. I have been fighting this for half a year now. Sometimes I think I am going to talk to my colleague about this but I am afraid I do not have balls to do that. Anyways I saw my physician and told her I guess I might have caught it from the dog but she told me dogs were infested with other type. I respect doctors (it must be very hard to graduate in medicine and they know a lot about health and diseases), but due to my own experience and experience of you fellow sufferers I think many doctors do not know much about scabies (or have outdated information on it and virtually do not really listen to patients and do not believe this can last so long).
Yes, the dog mites are sarcoptic scabiei var canis and the human kind are sarcoptic scabiei var homis. At this point, I believe these mites have EVOLVED into suriving on most warm blooded animals, including humans. Most doctors are going by old literature.
feduptothemax

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Feb 10, 2009
Sad, sad stories and the doctors make it worst for sure, I recently saw a doctor (a new one who doesn't know me) who when I told her I had them she looks at me a goes and you know what the problem is don't you? I say no, what? She says you need to do some cleaning my friend, it comes from filth and dirt, this coming from a so-called medical professional, how uninformed is that? Then she looks at my arms and hands and says that I don't have anything, didn't want to give me a prescription, until I brow beat her, had to tell her off too, for making the filth comment, then she says she doesn't have any experience with this.

Yeah Drs. are definitely at the bottom of people having it for so long because they don't know enough to help and they don't want to give up the prescriptions to help fight it either.

In my case I'm not sure anymore how I originally got it, either from a family member or a hotel, since then I got reinfested from a pair of slacks that I'd had dry cleaned, now I try to only wear washable cheap clothing.
sickoftheitch

Austin, TX

#20 Feb 13, 2009
where did my scabies come from...
I would love to have a medical intuitive tell me once and for all BUT, all I have are theories.
All in a week in a half (before the 6 or so weeks it took me to realize I was infested) I rented a car, stayed in a sketchy hotel in detroit, visited my grandmother in a long term care facility, flew to jamaica, rendevouxed with the love of my life (who has no symptoms at all), rode on the bus, had random jamaican kids sit on my lap, and stayed in a semi fancy hotel for a conference in back in the us.??? Wish I knew. I thought surely it had to be from jamaica and did have intimate contact with someone there but again he has had no symptoms. After I returned home, I passed it before I knew I had it to 8 different people, all through extremely casual contact and no close, prolonged contact with anyone. It feels like a curse. Maybe it was!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Long term scabies patients should read this. (s... (Apr '13) 11 min journey2noScabies 4
After months and months its NOT scabies!!!!! (Jun '09) 8 hr Cook monster 83
not sure whats going on HELP:( 12 hr Susannahe 2
My Scabies story and experience 22 hr Zeoh 3
Scabies - cleaning and laundering (Nov '06) 23 hr Sad Scaby 234
Not washing the Permethrin off the skin (Dec '10) Wed PenloverAnn 57
arm & hammer (Sep '09) Wed Bill 996
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) Tue Mac 1,460
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Jan 15 clovepowder 4,716
More from around the web