D. Gallinae - bird/poultry mites

D. Gallinae - bird/poultry mites

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Since: Oct 12

Sydney

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Have implemented about half of those measures.
2,3,6,7,8,10,12,14. BTW UHM ;)

Since: Oct 12

Sydney

#6 Jun 4, 2013
Now fairly sure it was thrips, as they have several stages of their life cycle and can often be mistaken for D Gallinae in the early stages. Either that, or the D Gallinae were eradicated earlier on in the piece and the pheremonal reaction caused thrips infestation.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#7 Jun 7, 2013
Great info! I have observed them under a 40x microscope and it looks like bird mites. I see them in my yard also and around my pool. We cleared our yard of trees but have too many trees around our yard. We keep removing nests from our yard. Mites are on my son and husband but sporadically, mainly on their scalp. I think I got them from a nest outside our bedroom window. I have been immune boosting big time, and using an infrared sauna, drinking collagen which is helping ALOT! I am in post for sure. Started swimming again but weather has been too cool. Also fighting topically with an alcohol/citrus mouthwash moisture which has been clearing skin slowly. About week ago started using DMSO on top of alcohol mixture after shower which has been helping ALOT! Loving the DMSO! Need to get them out of my scalp. Am going to cut my long hair short in few weeks when school is out. Use only Shea lotion mixed with oils before work and this seems to do my skin a lot of good balancing the chemicals with moisturizing the skin. I am fighting this inside and out. Keeping the PH up has helped. Can't wait to swim regularly in the ocean. This helped my skin last summer. I'm hoping to get rid of this by summer's end! I found the bird mites.org site last year. It's a good site. I spray my bed, car and couches with Lysol twice a day. Don't really have a problem with the environment. Vacuum once a week. This seems to do the trick. In my house I wear plastic gloves. My hands were bad and they are still there. I made the mistake of putting on plastic gloves in my work bag from last June, yes, June 2012, in December over holidays and my hands became infested. My hands are much better but still there. I'm going to throw all my winter clothes away and work clothes and buy new ones for Next school year. This is a fight! If I can, I'm going to buy a home laser. This helps skin and has helped some people. I have no problem throwing anything away now! I haven't had skin to skin contact in over a year. Thanks for staying on the boards. I stop by about once a month to see who's still around. I envision having my life back. I think I can beat this in time! Exhausted but keep fighting! Thanks fairie!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#8 Jun 7, 2013
Rundown teacher wrote:
Great info! I have observed them under a 40x microscope and it looks like bird mites. I see them in my yard also and around my pool. We cleared our yard of trees but have too many trees around our yard. We keep removing nests from our yard. Mites are on my son and husband but sporadically, mainly on their scalp. I think I got them from a nest outside our bedroom window. I have been immune boosting big time, and using an infrared sauna, drinking collagen which is helping ALOT! I am in post for sure. Started swimming again but weather has been too cool. Also fighting topically with an alcohol/citrus mouthwash moisture which has been clearing skin slowly. About week ago started using DMSO on top of alcohol mixture after shower which has been helping ALOT! Loving the DMSO! Need to get them out of my scalp. Am going to cut my long hair short in few weeks when school is out. Use only Shea lotion mixed with oils before work and this seems to do my skin a lot of good balancing the chemicals with moisturizing the skin. I am fighting this inside and out. Keeping the PH up has helped. Can't wait to swim regularly in the ocean. This helped my skin last summer. I'm hoping to get rid of this by summer's end! I found the bird mites.org site last year. It's a good site. I spray my bed, car and couches with Lysol twice a day. Don't really have a problem with the environment. Vacuum once a week. This seems to do the trick. In my house I wear plastic gloves. My hands were bad and they are still there. I made the mistake of putting on plastic gloves in my work bag from last June, yes, June 2012, in December over holidays and my hands became infested. My hands are much better but still there. I'm going to throw all my winter clothes away and work clothes and buy new ones for Next school year. This is a fight! If I can, I'm going to buy a home laser. This helps skin and has helped some people. I have no problem throwing anything away now! I haven't had skin to skin contact in over a year. Thanks for staying on the boards. I stop by about once a month to see who's still around. I envision having my life back. I think I can beat this in time! Exhausted but keep fighting! Thanks fairie!
This is great news! At least now you know what your fighting against. Good luck keep us posted on your treatment.
misery_in_au

Baulkham Hills, Australia

#9 Jun 7, 2013
Yes brilliant news. We all have our own ways and with a million plus species of mites out there, there are a million ways to treat with variations in standard protocol. We know better than the experts because we have lived it, endured it and fought it.
FRED

Golden, CO

#10 Jun 8, 2013
misery_in_au wrote:
Yes brilliant news. We all have our own ways and with a million plus species of mites out there, there are a million ways to treat with variations in standard protocol. We know better than the experts because we have lived it, endured it and fought it.
Yes with millions of species of mites there is the potential of millions of new threads.You will know better than the experts when you have cured it. Until then your attempts at cure that have all failed up to this point have proved meaningless.
misery_in_au

Wollongong, Australia

#11 Jun 8, 2013
FRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes with millions of species of mites there is the potential of millions of new threads.You will know better than the experts when you have cured it. Until then your attempts at cure that have all failed up to this point have proved meaningless.
Trial and error dear Fred. Without doctors, labs or research $ its all we can do. Whatever the mite, they are hardwired for survival. We try, we revise, we go on. And we'll beat them one way or another.
vss

Hollywood, FL

#12 Jul 5, 2013
Rundown teacher wrote:
Great post!! Thanks for sharing....
vss

Hollywood, FL

#13 Jul 5, 2013
Faerie with ooglies wrote:
I found this site on D Gallinae and other mites which talks about host selection.
Quote from this website from here down..........If you want to understand why nobody else in your family is being bitten the way you are, read up on host selection, especially keiromones and the mutations that cause some humans to secrete extra butyric acid.
If you are interested enough in D. gallinae to read this, it is likely you are a human host of this ectoparasite.
But if you were a bird who was a designated host, here is what the mites would be doing to you, and why.
First off, the mites would be drawn to you because you smell particularly good to them. Current research indicates that some animals in a flock secrete more keiromones (hormones that attract parasites) than other animals in the same flock. For D. gallinae, that attracting chemical may be something as simple as butyric acid. So let’s say that within your flock of chickens, you were the one who excreted the most attractive scent.
So the mites, drawn to you by your scent, would climb on board and begin to multiply. An adult chicken can harbor as many as 10,000 mites at one time. And as that many mites fed on you, you would begin to weaken from loss of blood. As you became weaker, you would become less likely to move around. As you moved around less, you would become an increasingly stable food source for your parasites.
The big advantage of a primary host for an ectoparasite is having a captive meal source. The potential disadvantage is that the host’s immune system could produce antibodies that are ingested by the mites as part of the living blood they eat. Those antibodies could attack the mites from within.
There is some evidence that a heavy infestation of mites can suppress the immune system of the host. If so, this immunosuppression would be another big reason for mites to focus on one primary host within a flock.
Ultimately, a chicken who is a primary host can die of the infestation. If that occurs, the mites jump off as soon as the body temperature of the host begins to drop. They seek another host who secretes elevated levels of keiromones.
So how is this relevant to you, as a human host?
This scenario plays out differently with a human host. Although a human could potentially be killed by some of the diseases some mites carry, a human is very unlikely to bleed to death from feeding mites. We just do not have enough (feeding) surface area compared to our mass.
But the mites will still seek out the highest keiromone secretor in a human family.
And just as with a chicken, the mites will still be more successful if you stay at home a lot and don’t move around very much.
And the mites will still suppress your immune system. While you may have reacted a lot to mites at the beginning, you may find over time that their bites are not even visible on your skin.
The moral of the story: Be a bad host to your mites.
Shower frequently, using soaps that do not smell good to your mites.
Get out of your house as much as you can
Exercise
Throw away all the warm fuzzy stuff where mites love to hide
Page on steps to remove them.
http://yearofthemite.com/fifteen-steps-to-get...
Great post!! Thanks for sharing.
vss

Hollywood, FL

#14 Jul 6, 2013
Keeping this thread on top, for now.
Lisa

San Antonio, TX

#16 Jul 12, 2013
My Mom and I have been battling a biting for a while. She's had them for seven months now and I got them about a month and half ago. We both live in different regions. I rented a house in Kansas. The only link is that we both are related but also we both had squirrel infestations in the attic.

I was only in the house two weeks before I moved out but they latched onto me like moth to a flame.

One of the things we have found that works well is enzymes cleaner. But it doesn't get rid of them completely. Sulfer, mint, tea tree, arnica, eucalyptus, clove.

Both are immune systems are taking a beating. I have them the worst, in my nose, around my mouth, ears, eyes. I'm living in my own special horror sci fi show here.

The information here has been extremely beneficial. I'm going to start swimming tomorrow in a chlorine pool daily. I take two to three showers a day. I have had to buy all new make up with disposable applicators. Keeping my car vacuumed and house clean is a must!

There are days that I just want to end my life it's so depressing and my Mom too. There is nothing out there, and yes that must be it, there is no money for research.

I'm starting a cleanse that includes lemon and Cayenne tomorrow so hoping that this will change my smell. Giving up my sugar and breads with the cleanse. I'm going back to taking my garlic too. I also just started taking Ojibwa Herbal Extract which I have noticed a difference on.

It's a battle I want to win and never go though again.
May you all find peace and relief from these creatures.
Under Seige in WI

Middleton, WI

#17 Sep 12, 2013
Lisa wrote:
My Mom and I have been battling a biting for a while. She's had them for seven months now and I got them about a month and half ago. We both live in different regions. I rented a house in Kansas. The only link is that we both are related but also we both had squirrel infestations in the attic.
I was only in the house two weeks before I moved out but they latched onto me like moth to a flame.
One of the things we have found that works well is enzymes cleaner. But it doesn't get rid of them completely. Sulfer, mint, tea tree, arnica, eucalyptus, clove.
Both are immune systems are taking a beating. I have them the worst, in my nose, around my mouth, ears, eyes. I'm living in my own special horror sci fi show here.
The information here has been extremely beneficial. I'm going to start swimming tomorrow in a chlorine pool daily. I take two to three showers a day. I have had to buy all new make up with disposable applicators. Keeping my car vacuumed and house clean is a must!
There are days that I just want to end my life it's so depressing and my Mom too. There is nothing out there, and yes that must be it, there is no money for research.
I'm starting a cleanse that includes lemon and Cayenne tomorrow so hoping that this will change my smell. Giving up my sugar and breads with the cleanse. I'm going back to taking my garlic too. I also just started taking Ojibwa Herbal Extract which I have noticed a difference on.
It's a battle I want to win and never go though again.
May you all find peace and relief from these creatures.
We recently became infested and it has been ruining our lives. However we are fighting back and I am very encouraged with a research study out of Europe that shows that geraniol, an extract from the Geranium (and others like palmarosa) showed a 100% kill rate on D. Gallinea. This made me go out and find all products with it. There are essential oils of Palmarosa available online and in most health stores. Buy some and mix with olive oil and apply everywhere. Especially on ears, nose and around mouth. This will provide some relief from the creepy crawlies. I'm not sure they drop dead and its over but it makes life better to repel them. Next we bought a fogger (fog master tri jet) and got the natural insecticide Essentria IC3. It contains geraniol. We are fogging and knocking them back. Our battle isn't over but so far much better. We are using mite bags for mattress to store all our fluffy stuff and will freeze it over the winter when the temp drops to -10. Can't wait.

The point is get them off you first then get them out of your home.

Hope this advise helps. God Speed! I will update again in several weeks

Peace
Under Seige in WI

Lake Geneva, WI

#18 Sep 27, 2013
Unfortunately there is no magic bullet for Mr D Gallinea. Ic3 is too weak and the buggers were right back in a couple of days. However the palmarosa shows much promise. We also purchased a commercial steamer and ice cream freezer(goes down to -40) we are steaming and freezing like crazy. Still dealing with them but much improved. We go for hours with nothing the we run across something contaminated and wham we are getting bites. We calmly take that piece out of the home and steam or freeze it. The freezing is suspect though. Seems like some stuff is still contaminated after 24 hrs may have to freeze longer.

We are defiantly winning but war not over and they are still trying to thrive on us.
Iamdyinghere

Abbotsford, Canada

#19 Nov 6, 2014
Is there anyone who has eradicated these bird mites? If I put everything sealed in storage for a year or more would they all be dead and gone? This infestation drove me out of my home, infested all that i have and is making my life miserable. On top of that, few believe me. This whole thing is absolutely crazy and seems just when you think it's getting better things take a turn for the worst and they are back with a vengeance. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel or is it an oncoming train!
Gayle-trying

Salina, OK

#20 Jun 3, 2015
FRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Kleen Green from Naturl Ginesis is truly A miracle to get rid of Bird Mites. Expensive but works and I would not keep spraying with chemicals which in the long run is not all that expensive to use Kleen Green if that is all you need.
Bird girl

Albany Creek, Australia

#23 Oct 17, 2015
I am being bitten every night I can't get any relief, I have tried everything but nothing is working. It feels like they are biting 24 hours a day, the rash and bites keep coming back I can't get rid of them. I have had no sleep now for weeks, I had the house smashed by pest control but the same night they were back. My husband is away so I can't get into the roof to see if it's bird mites with a nest but am pretty sure it is. I am going to try swimming today. I have been to 4 doctors none of them believe me they all think it's an allergic reaction or something. My whole body is covered in welts and bites. I am so desperate and miserable, help.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 1 hr tryingtocureit 1,407
Attention All! Dawn original blue bath, black ... (Nov '09) 2 hr Linda 42
Deet for scabies? (Jun '13) 2 hr tryingtocureit 7
Post scabies hives? 9 hr doctor rash 6
Join the organization to lobby for a cure of sk... 18 hr Adana 3
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) 20 hr Peaches and pears 821
Look at this picture of skin with mites and mig... (Apr '08) Mon tryingtocureit 148
More from around the web