Can scabies live on objects besides h...

Can scabies live on objects besides humans and fabric?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Still freakin itching

West Monroe, LA

#1 Dec 3, 2008
Ok, so I don't think I cured myself the first go-round of perm, and I have cleaned and isolated pretty much all of my belongings. But can scabies live on objects besides my body and fabric stuff? Like, say my iPod was in a bag with some clothes that wore while infested? Can they live on that iPod? Or a bottle of mouthwash? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm just trying to disinfect everything possible. Thanks in advance for anyone's help on this. And damn these mites!!
EX-ITCHY

Burton, MI

#2 Dec 5, 2008
Still freakin itching wrote:
Ok, so I don't think I cured myself the first go-round of perm, and I have cleaned and isolated pretty much all of my belongings. But can scabies live on objects besides my body and fabric stuff? Like, say my iPod was in a bag with some clothes that wore while infested? Can they live on that iPod? Or a bottle of mouthwash? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm just trying to disinfect everything possible. Thanks in advance for anyone's help on this. And damn these mites!!
These are mites, not bacteria or a virus. They die after 24 to 72 hours when off humans or pets. The human scabies mite only breeds on humans. They get on items that have a lot of contact with your skin, like your clothes and bedding. Also, the greater the number of mites on you, the greater the chance mites can get on clothes and bedding. They also cling on and burrow under the skin. They dont fall off very often when they are under your skin! After the first complete body treatment with 5% perm, wash clothing and bedding. Then, I recommend spot treating any new bumps and bites with perm. Perm kills all the mites, but not the eggs. They hatch after the first treatment every day for the next 5 to 6 days. Spot treating kills these newly hatched mites and any that possibly got back on you from whatever source. I personally washed clothing as usual and bedding after first treatment and 2nd treatment a week later. I think the main thing you can do besides treatment and washing bedding and clothes, is avoiding the original source and anyone that possibly caught the mites from you. Reinfestation from people is what you have to avoid! I cant say that a mite couldnt get on an I Pod, but they cant live on them. If left alone, they will die. Treat yourself, bedding and clothes, and avoid reinfestation and you will beat this. Good Luck
Welty

AOL

#3 Dec 5, 2008
The cracks of your Ipod could harbor them for a few days, but then it should be fine. But meanwhile, minimize the things you handle. Computer keyboards were bad for me. Because I work at it and it was really my worst place. Even though no fabric, even chair is not fabric, this place was bad. I use saran wrap, because your fingers loose mites as you type. I toss the saran after. Now, no big problem. But it's easy to clean things like an Ipod with gel alchohol. That's Hand Sanitizer to you. It's made with grain alcohol, and mites succumb to it fast. The gel alchohol has enough body to it, that you can work it in with a kleenex or napkin and then toss. It's not runny and stays on long enough to clean stuff. Great for plastics. But generally, things you touch can harbor mites long enough to get back to you. Gel alcohol can be purchased cheap at Target, Walgreen's or Walmart. A pint or more for $4. I like the Target because it doesn't have the perfume that isn't that great. GermeX has a bad Watermelon scent. The Target smells more like Vodka and doesn't linger.
Welty

AOL

#4 Dec 5, 2008
I just put the saran wrap loosely on over the keyboad. I don't "shrink wrap" the keybord. I like it loose enough to type and I use a different piece each day. This keeps the mites out of the keys. Then I area clean with gel alcohol after. The saran really helps. I also keep a piece over the mouse and toss that at the end of the day, too. I bought the biggest roll of saran I could find.
Worried

Corpus Christi, TX

#6 Aug 27, 2013
My niece watched my son for about 4 hours and sat on my couch the whole time. She told me just had scabies (not severe outbreak just on her hands) ten days later. I am not experience any symptoms but how worried should I be that she infected us. Please help. I am stressing out.
success

Australia

#7 Aug 27, 2013
After initial treatment your got 5mites in your house to worry about & they will be close to you & if not they will die trying to find you. I say if your friends won't treat then they are not allowed near you. A real friend will do a treatment. Same with family not living with you. The thing is incubation takes 6weeks & nobody knows what your going thru until it happens to them. About personal items YES rubbing alchahol or dettol with washing powder 1/2 & 1/2 mix will kill any insect or aracnea.
ms scabies

Detroit, MI

#8 Nov 3, 2013
I worked at a goodwill for 8 months...i went to the doctors and he said i had contact dermatitis...i got a 2nd opinion after several months from a dermatologist she said scabies...i think this 3rd time around i think i got it beat...i sprayed everything with the permethrin spray...but i saw one in my bathroom...im afraid my whole room maybe infested...i found a bunch hiding in the crevices of my mattresses and sprayed put a plasma covering on washed and sprayed everything so am doing everything right
vss

Hollywood, FL

#10 Nov 4, 2013
With ........ "microscopic eyes?"
Anonymous

Mesa, AZ

#11 Nov 5, 2013
cindilu wrote:
<quoted text>
Scabies mites are microscopic so how did you see them?
I did find a way. I would spray myself with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water. On my feet and hands pinpoint sized black specks appeared. Those were the mite nymphs that had hatched and were still near the surface of my skin as the vinegar drove them out and killed them. Even when I treated with Permethrin and Ivermectin once a week for 3 weeks I would spray myself down with the ACV/water mix every day. If it kills the nymphs before they burrow deep then you can help to break the cycle. I know that after the 3rd week treatment that I was clean but decided to use 10% sulphur soap for a while to make my body a less attractive host. I am cured but now the deep burrows are coming to the surface and healing and I am itching even more. This is annoying but eventually it will pass.
pregnant w scabies

Roswell, GA

#12 Jan 11, 2014
ms scabies wrote:
I worked at a goodwill forhs...i went to the doctors and he said i had contact dermatitis...i got a 2nd opinion after several months from a dermatologist she said scabies...i think this 3rd time around i think i got it beat...i sprayed everything with the permethrin spray...but i saw one in my bathroom...im afraid my whole room maybe infested...i found a bunch hiding in the crevices of my mattresses and sprayed put a plasma covering on washed and sprayed everything so am doing everything right
You probably have bedbugs not scabies. Scabies are microscopic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
50 Tips for scabies 26 min Singer 18
Over the counter scabies treatment at walmart 26 min Singer 5
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 5 hr Amanda Wealthintaste 4,455
SHAMPOO for scabies in the hair 7 hr bjmmaynard 14
Dont waste money on theses things for scabies 7 hr Singer 4
Yayyy I am cured of scabies 7 hr Harry walter 11
ScabiesBGone cured me of scabies 7 hr Jerry Samuals 2
More from around the web