BB ( Benzyl Benzoate)
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
scabicide

Germany

#1 Jan 21, 2007
I am starting this tread to discuss the use of BB as a topical, or as an acaricide to clean up the environment. I hope to report soon some of the relevant earlier posts (where to get, how to make into various formulations).

BB is a relatively safe acaricide (a checmical, known to kill mites). It can be purchased as a pharmacy-grade, oily liquid,

It is common OC treatment in many european countries, usually in a 25% water based suspension as it is not water soluble. It does not kill the mite eggs, but it does kill mites. It is considered a good topical treatment, esp. combined with ivermectin therapy, and 5% tea tree oil.

It can be used as a laundry additive, and an environment spray, formulated as 2 part rubbing alcohol and 1 part bb.
E.g.: Spraying down mattresses, pillows, upholstery, using in seam wac carpet cleaners.. etc.

In the laundry, a small amount is considered sufficient. 0.5-1oz, best mixed with the liquid laundry detergent.

It has a relatively long residual effect in linens, carpet and upholstery.
scabicide

Anonymous Proxy

#2 Jan 21, 2007
I am reposting the link where you can get BB. Credit goes to Mary for originally posting this:

http://www.researchsupply.net/solvents_etc.ht...

BTW. I had pretty good luck with mixing it with alcoholic gel hand sanitizer, 1:4 and using it as a topical. Here is the recipe I used:

3 part hand sanitizer gel ( e.g.: purel)
1 part BB
a dash of tea tree oil for luck

I Mix it well using a q-tip, in an empty cold cream jar.. I Apply to cool, dry skin only
I am always very careful not to get it into eyes, nose, mouth, or other sensitive areas /mucuous membranes.

It can be a bad eye irritant.

I am not a doctor, consult a doc or nurse for diagnosis or treatment advice.
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#3 Jan 21, 2007
Good discussion, scabicide.

I was able to order it pre-mixed as a 25% topical from www.nationalpharmicies.com.au .
It's reasonable, 200ml for $5.25.$8 shipping to the US for 3 bottles. I found it cheaper at other sites, but the shipping was more.

The brand name for the pre-mixed topical is Ascabiol, and the generic name is Benzemul.

I ordered the pre-mixed because I had tried to mix my own and it didn't seem to sink into the skin, although I didn't try the recipie above.

Scabicide, were you able to apply the topical on your scalp? I'm pretty clear now, except for issues on my hands, feet, and scalp.
Fed Up

AOL

#4 Jan 22, 2007
Sam wrote:
I was able to order it pre-mixed as a 25% topical from www.nationalpharmicies.com.au .
It's reasonable, 200ml for $5.25.$8 shipping to the US for 3 bottles. I found it cheaper at other sites, but the shipping was more.
The brand name for the pre-mixed topical is Ascabiol, and the generic name is Benzemul.
I ordered the pre-mixed because I had tried to mix my own and it didn't seem to sink into the skin, although I didn't try the recipie above.
Scabicide, were you able to apply the topical on your scalp? I'm pretty clear now, except for issues on my hands, feet, and scalp.
I'm not able to pull up the link on my computer, is there another way to get into the site??
Mary

United States

#5 Jan 22, 2007
Sam. Can you post another link that works, please. Thanks, Mary
Sam wrote:
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#6 Jan 22, 2007
Sorry I misspelled it.

this one works: http://www.nationalpharmacies.com.au

I am really looking forward to receiving it as I am beginning to wonder if the mites I have are somewhat resistant to both perm and iver (have used a lot of both).
Fed Up

AOL

#7 Jan 22, 2007
Sam wrote:
Sorry I misspelled it.
this one works: http://www.nationalpharmacies.com.au
I am really looking forward to receiving it as I am beginning to wonder if the mites I have are somewhat resistant to both perm and iver (have used a lot of both).
When you go into this site how do you order the Benzyl Benzoate? I'm not able to find it at all.
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#8 Jan 22, 2007
There is a Search box up at the top of the web page. The generic is called Benzemul. The search for Ascabiol didn't bring up anything on this site, but on other sites I found out that the Ascabiol (more expensive) was the same as Benzemul on the other sites. I'll try to find the other site, so you can compare.
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#9 Jan 22, 2007
Ok, here's one other site stating that Ascabiol and Benzemul are both 25% BB used for scabies.

http://www.cincottachemist.com.au/viewsec.php...

I thought on another site it said could be used for head lice also, and therefore could be put on the scalp, can't find it now. Let me know if you find a site saying that.
Mary

United States

#10 Jan 23, 2007
Fed Up. Girl, do I have to do EVERYTHING for you? Did you clean up that Hay, yet?
http://www.nationalpharmacies.com.au/db/clien...
Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go into this site how do you order the Benzyl Benzoate? I'm not able to find it at all.
scabicide

Framingham, MA

#11 Jan 24, 2007
Sam wrote:
Sure. Easy to apply, it is quite watery.

One note of caution:
Be very careful not to get it into your eyes.( Do not put it anywhere near the eyes). It is an extreme eye irritant.

It is best used in the evening, after a bath, to improve its penetration into the top skin layer.

However, wait until you cool off, and until you are completely dry.

Apply liberally. I usually use half of the 200 ml bottle for a full body treatment. One possibility is to use 2 coats, to minimize the chance that you miss a spot.

Once applied, do not try to wash it off, the water triggers a burning sensation. It is OK to wash it off the next morning. Do not ask me why, this is strictly empirical.
isolated

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Jan 25, 2007
scabicide,
thanks, good to know. Just waiting for the BB to arrive. Stopping permetherin, you indicated stopping all treatments/ or just the permetherin? just wondering why you suggest stopping, won't the mites run a muck?
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#13 Jan 25, 2007
scabicide wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Easy to apply, it is quite watery.
One note of caution:
Be very careful not to get it into your eyes.( Do not put it anywhere near the eyes). It is an extreme eye irritant.
It is best used in the evening, after a bath, to improve its penetration into the top skin layer.
However, wait until you cool off, and until you are completely dry.
Apply liberally. I usually use half of the 200 ml bottle for a full body treatment. One possibility is to use 2 coats, to minimize the chance that you miss a spot.
Once applied, do not try to wash it off, the water triggers a burning sensation. It is OK to wash it off the next morning. Do not ask me why, this is strictly empirical.
Thanks for the reply. you said "half of a 200 ml bottle"? Confused because I thought we were talking about using a homemade BB solution. I'm anxiously waiting for the pre-mixed BB Ascabiol, or Benzumel I ordered to arrive from Australia, which comes in a 200ml bottle.

So did you have a pre-mixed product? or mixed your own? I have not been able to get a good consistency out of the pre-mixed, my next trick is to mix some up in the blender. The oily BB separates from whatever I mix it with.

And I can relate to the burning! I mixed some 100% BB with lotion for a 25% solution, and put it all over including head. Not on face tho. When I showered to wash it off, I thought my skin had all burned off - it really burned when washing it off. I think because the lotion it was mixed with penetrated the skin, leaving almost a 100% oily BB left on top of the skin.

I also tried mixing BB with hand sanatizer - put it on a bad spot. It separated, and 5 days later that spot still burns. But I don't feel any more crawlies in that spot.

So the question here got burried in the text - were you discussing a pre-mixed or homemade solution?
scabicide

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 Jan 26, 2007
isolated wrote:
scabicide, Stopping permetherin, you indicated stopping all treatments/ or just the permetherin? just wondering why you suggest stopping, won't the mites run a muck?
Here is the rationale:

Presume you just took your homefully final dose of Ivermectin.

Say 12 days, is not long enough for a new generation of mites to mature and start laying eggs again.

So if things get bad in that time, you can hit them with ivermectin and you are not much worse off than you are today.

there is a small possibility that you are irritating your skin with the topicals ( any topical), and if that is the case, you are never going to stop treatment.

The suggestion to pause skin topicals is to allow your skin to recover from any possible skin irritation resulting from the topicals.

It is a low risk way to test the waters, to see which way the trend is going. Are you getting better or worse? I had a skin doctor once, who made me stop treatment like this.
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#16 Jan 26, 2007
On mixing a topical BB solution: I was finally able to get a mixture that didn't separate.

I used one part pure BB from reasearch supply, 3 parts thick lotion (Trader Joes extra dry moisturizing cream, unscented herbal blend with aloe) added a few drops of balsam of peru since I get allergic reactions to TTO. Mixed it with a hand held blender. Applied all over. Even the next day the left over had not separated, so I put more on my problem spots.

Still waiting for my order of the Benzemul Application (25% pre mixed BB for scabies) from Australia. I think it's the generic equal of Ascabiol.
isolated

Las Vegas, NV

#17 Jan 29, 2007
Sam wrote:
Sam, were you able to apply the BB to your scalp? if so what is the recipie you used and did it burn? I am referring to the full strenght BB not the pre mixed. Thanks
Been There

Encinitas, CA

#18 Jan 29, 2007
isolated wrote:
<quoted text>Sam, were you able to apply the BB to your scalp? if so what is the recipie you used and did it burn? I am referring to the full strenght BB not the pre mixed. Thanks
I think Sam used 1 part BB to 3 parts cream. I think wht Sam explained is that the BB obsorbed into the skin leaving the cream, thus burning the skin. Be carefull with the BB. Big Burn.

Codes:

NCS=nut case syndrome
BB-Big Burn
MM= Mighty Mites
Sam

Tuolumne, CA

#19 Jan 30, 2007
isolated wrote:
<quoted text>Sam, were you able to apply the BB to your scalp? if so what is the recipie you used and did it burn? I am referring to the full strenght BB not the pre mixed. Thanks
Isolated: yes, see below, and heck yes! I mixed 1 part BB to 3 parts of a liquid lotion, as BT posted above. applied liberally to scalp, and everywhere. Showered in the morning and thought my head and face was burning off! I would not put that mixture in my scalp again.

I think the lotion soaked in, leaving a strong percentage of the oily BB on the skin.

Later (much later ;) I was able to get a more consistent BB mixture by using a thicker cream, and mixing with a hand mixer. The BB didn't separate from the cream with that method. But no way would I put that on my scalp.

I'm still waiting for my pre-mixed BB Ascabiol to arrive from Austrilia.

So Isolated, are you still itching or doing better?
Been There

United States

#20 Jan 30, 2007
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Isolated: yes, see below, and heck yes! I mixed 1 part BB to 3 parts of a liquid lotion, as BT posted above. applied liberally to scalp, and everywhere. Showered in the morning and thought my head and face was burning off! I would not put that mixture in my scalp again.
I think the lotion soaked in, leaving a strong percentage of the oily BB on the skin.
Later (much later ;) I was able to get a more consistent BB mixture by using a thicker cream, and mixing with a hand mixer. The BB didn't separate from the cream with that method. But no way would I put that on my scalp.
Oh, the BB sat on the skin and the lotion obsorbed. Ouch.

I mixed my BB with Hand alcohol sanitizer using Slomos receipe for a topical. If left sitting, it seperates and needs to be shaken well right before using. I used it topically and no burn but didn't wash it off yet. It's in a pump right now, I'm going to get a little spritzer bottle tomorrow.
isolated

Henderson, NV

#21 Jan 30, 2007
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Sam! Unfortunately I tried the BB in my hair as you did and it burned like hell too! I will also never do that again. BB full strength is only going to be used for enviromental spray and laundry here.
I am still itchy,and crawling. Seems the buggers like my hair! Took ivermectin 4 days ago, had 5 burrows and tons of bites, those are clearing up, but did find 2 new ones this morning.
How are you doing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mite identification 1 hr Matt 4
When do we eat the HIGH FAT MEAL BEFORE IVERMEC... (Feb '10) 4 hr oh brother 16
Scabies laid dormant in suitcase for 4 YEARS (Jun '08) 9 hr SPS 36
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 10 hr CallingForHelp 4,491
wrong diagnosis 23 hr real indian 1
things people forget to do about scabies (Jul '07) Tue betseyB 10
Are the scabies gone?! Tue Diescabiesdie 1
More from around the web