Side effects from using Permethrin 5%...

Side effects from using Permethrin 5% to 10% or Ivermectin

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Been There

United States

#1 Jan 16, 2007
Martin's Permethrin 10% deluted to 5%.:

I get chills and rapid heart beat. My nostrils feel cold and numb when I have the Permethrin applied to large areas of my body or on my face.

Ivermectin:
Headache, joint pain, rapid heart beat, stomach cramps.
Sam

United States

#2 Jan 16, 2007
BT - good discussion, thanks for posting this. Sorry for repeating myself, but in Mexico you can get better stuff made for humans - high quality ivermectin and permethrin for just a few dollars. Better than the stuff I ordered from India. Which Ivermectin is this, the horse paste? I got some but have only used a tiny bit as a topical on toenails.
Been There

United States

#3 Jan 17, 2007
Sam wrote:
BT - good discussion, thanks for posting this. Sorry for repeating myself, but in Mexico you can get better stuff made for humans - high quality ivermectin and permethrin for just a few dollars. Better than the stuff I ordered from India. Which Ivermectin is this, the horse paste? I got some but have only used a tiny bit as a topical on toenails.
Ivermectin Horse paste mostly, but I've used Rx too. I should think the Ivermectin paste would be the same strengh as Rx according to dose, but have nothing to base this on.

Do you have any information on why the Rx or Mexico products may be superior? I'm very curious about this.

I know many of the meds in Mexico are made by well known manufacturers, just a label change. Have you used these, if so, do you have info on the manfactures of the Ivermectin and Permethrin?
Sam

United States

#4 Jan 17, 2007
Ivexterm by ICN, you can google the ICN Farmaceutica.$4.20 for 12 mg.

Scabisan Permetrina Crema and Scabisan Plus lotion (both 5% permethrin) and Scabisan shampoo (1%) by Chinoin. I think they were $3 something.

I've used both and am not sure they are more effective than similar products made in the US, but available in multiple doses without a prescription at Mexican pharmacies, and really cheap.

I'm not brave enough to use the Martins on my body or the horse paste orally, although I've used the Martins as a carpet spray and the horse paste on toenails.

While you're down there you can also go to the strictly vet pharmacies, and get treatments for your pets, and send some to Mary's dogs too. The poster named Mee Too used some Mexican stuff on her dog and her hair that worked. I don't have any pets so can't comment on that personally.

Hope this helps.
Been There

United States

#5 Jan 17, 2007
Sam wrote:
Scabisan Permetrina Crema and Scabisan Plus lotion (both 5% permethrin) and Scabisan shampoo (1%) by Chinoin. I think they were $3 something.
I've used both and am not sure they are more effective than similar products made in the US, but available in multiple doses without a prescription at Mexican pharmacies, and really cheap.
I'm not brave enough to use the Martins on my body or the horse paste orally, although I've used the Martins as a carpet spray and the horse paste on toenails.
While you're down there you can also go to the strictly vet pharmacies, and get treatments for your pets, and send some to Mary's dogs too. The poster named Mee Too used some Mexican stuff on her dog and her hair that worked. I don't have any pets so can't comment on that personally.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the information. I'm a bit worried about using too much of the Martin's I think it has some strong side effects.

I recall Mee Too had a cat. I though she had the cat treated with Ivermectin. she did have some far out treatment ideas that she didn't use. Wow, you read through all the posts! I began posting on the first page and can't believe how many have joined and shared. Much thanks to you and every one.
Sam

United States

#6 Jan 18, 2007
Maybe I'm confusing Me Too with Mee Too (2 different posters). But the poor girl LIVED IN HER CAR FOR 21 DAYS! That has to be the greatest sacrifice and most perseverance I have read on this board, and yes, I believe her that she did that.

One doctor that I saw at the urgent care clinic, the first question he asked me was, do you have any pets?
Been There

Escondido, CA

#7 Jan 18, 2007
Sam wrote:
Maybe I'm confusing Me Too with Mee Too (2 different posters). But the poor girl LIVED IN HER CAR FOR 21 DAYS! That has to be the greatest sacrifice and most perseverance I have read on this board, and yes, I believe her that she did that.
One doctor that I saw at the urgent care clinic, the first question he asked me was, do you have any pets?
I had one doctor ask me that also, but he said I didn't need treatment, that the symptoms would resolve once the pets were clear.

I think it's easier when only cats are involved, unless the the mite is host specific to cats. Dogs and humans seem to be a fine host for the mite species I have. I noticed symptoms on my cat first. He isn't cuddly with me at all, but slept on the furniture and bed. Then I noticed signs on my dog but thought it was allergies. I thought my cat had worms from eating rats. I thought I had a spider bite and a fungus between my toes. I finally put the pieces together.

It's not my pets fault and they are getting old now. They are my responsibility.
Mary

United States

#8 Jan 19, 2007
Before my vet diagnosed my cat with it, I felt bites in my bed. And I thought I had bed bugs. I didn't know what was going on. I noticed my cat had a tape worm come out of her butt, so I took her to the vet and he wanted to know what that sore was on her fur above her eye. I thought she was fighting with the neighborhood cats and didn't think anything about it. As soon as my vet told me that she had sarcops, I automatically thought, well, heck, that is what has been biting me. Because the vet gave me a weird look and said that the cat could have caught it anywhere, even me. And I'm like, oh geez, he thinks I'm passing mites to my pets. We had a dog next door that was being neglected and was covered with fleas and sores. I put 2 and 2 together real fast. They finally put that dog down.
Been There wrote:
<quoted text>
I had one doctor ask me that also, but he said I didn't need treatment, that the symptoms would resolve once the pets were clear.
I think it's easier when only cats are involved, unless the the mite is host specific to cats. Dogs and humans seem to be a fine host for the mite species I have. I noticed symptoms on my cat first. He isn't cuddly with me at all, but slept on the furniture and bed. Then I noticed signs on my dog but thought it was allergies. I thought my cat had worms from eating rats. I thought I had a spider bite and a fungus between my toes. I finally put the pieces together.
It's not my pets fault and they are getting old now. They are my responsibility.
scabicide

United States

#9 Jan 21, 2007
Sam wrote:

Greetings,

You probably agree that these asessments are totally subjective. What makes one drug "higher quality" than another?

I do not have any factual basis to evaluate similar drugs of different manufacture, I am merely thinking out loud here.( Fell free to comment, and disagree)

1) One factor would be the reliability of actually having the claimed active ingredient, and not being a fake.

2) Another factor would be the cleanliness of the manufacturing process ( the drug not having any contaminants introduced while being made)

3) Another factor would be the purity/grade of the ingredients used.

4) Another factor would be the accuracy of dosing.

5) And the final factor would be quality control and external oversight, to make sure that all of the above is consistent.(i.e they do not just get it right on Fridays on the 2nd shift, when Carlos is on).

Based on the above set of random criteria, my gut feeling is that internet meds of far eastern or Indian origin are questionable, on all of the above counts. There is virtually nothing to guarantee any of the above, except upset customers no longer buying, but I doubt they have many repeat customers anyway, so they do not care. Just take the money and run.

Pharmacy bought drugs in surrounding countries are probably better (Canada and Mexico).
(1) is probably OK, I have no info on any of the other criteria. I have some doubts aBout (2)(3) and (4). Sometimes fake drugs have a cut amount of the active ingredient, like half or 1/3 of what is claimed.

Us made vet drugs are likely OK on (1)(4) AND (5).

My first choice would be a script at an US, canadian or EU pharmacy.

Second choice (just a personal preference) is an US made Veterinary drug.
Mary

Spartanburg, SC

#10 Jan 21, 2007
Hey Scabicide. I did buy some ivemectin from India, as I wanted to just try a human grade of stromectol tablets. I felt the drug working, could feel the mites dieing and it seemed to be of good quality. The packaging seemed legit with an expiration date on it. I am sure the people from India use it ALL THE TIME, being there is an extremely high population over there in India. The cost was a little high, so I only bought it once. Regarding number 5, where Carlos is working, don't forget about the day after a huge soccer match, where everyone and their brother are celebrating to all hours of the night, and can barely see straight, let alone apply that little hair net just right on their head.
scabicide wrote:
<quoted text>

4) Another factor would be the accuracy of dosing.
5) And the final factor would be quality control and external oversight, to make sure that all of the above is consistent.(i.e they do not just get it right on Fridays on the 2nd shift, when Carlos is on).
Based on the above set of random criteria, my gut feeling is that internet meds of far eastern or Indian origin are questionable, on all of the above counts. There is virtually nothing to guarantee any of the above, except upset customers no longer buying, but I doubt they have many repeat customers anyway, so they do not care. Just take the money and run.
Pharmacy bought drugs in surrounding countries are probably better (Canada and Mexico).
(1) is probably OK, I have no info on any of the other criteria. I have some doubts aBout (2)(3) and (4). Sometimes fake drugs have a cut amount of the active ingredient, like half or 1/3 of what is claimed.
Us made vet drugs are likely OK on (1)(4) AND (5).
My first choice would be a script at an US, canadian or EU pharmacy.
Second choice (just a personal preference) is an US made Veterinary drug.
Sam

United States

#11 Jan 21, 2007
scabicide wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings,
You probably agree that these asessments are totally subjective. What makes one drug "higher quality" than another?
I do not have any factual basis to evaluate similar drugs of different manufacture, I am merely thinking out loud here.( Fell free to comment, and disagree)
Sure. What you read posted was the watered down version of my original post. First one didn't post because I think it timed out. I took too long to create the post, and it didn't post.

What I originally meant by "higher quality" is that the ivermectin I ordered from India comes in a larger pill, not white, but off-white, and tends to break apart or crumble when removed from the foil bubbles. The dosage was stapled to a cardboard.

THe ivermectin I got in Mexico was more professionally packaged, in a pharmacy box, smaller white pill.

So that's it - more professional looking pill and packaging, can't really comment on the effectiveness of each, as they both seem equally effective, and as I posted before, I'm a chicken to take the meds not made for humans.

Scabicide, are you still all clear?
Sam

United States

#12 Jan 21, 2007
Mary wrote:
Hey Scabicide. I did buy some ivemectin from India, as I wanted to just try a human grade of stromectol tablets. I felt the drug working, could feel the mites dieing and it seemed to be of good quality. The packaging seemed legit with an expiration date on it. I am sure the people from India use it ALL THE TIME, being there is an extremely high population over there in India. The cost was a little high, so I only bought it once. Regarding number 5, where Carlos is working, don't forget about the day after a huge soccer match, where everyone and their brother are celebrating to all hours of the night, and can barely see straight, let alone apply that little hair net just right on their head.
<quoted text>
Mary that is so weird that you posted you could feel the mites or activity in areas when taking the iver! I have that same reaction each time too. About 30 mins after taking the drug, I can feel tingling or some sensations in the areas where I know are infested. really strange.
scabicide

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#14 Jan 29, 2007
Been There wrote:
Ivermectin:
Headache, joint pain, rapid heart beat, stomach cramps.
Add to this: Post nasal drip, possibly somnambulism.( the tendency to be sleepy and sleep a lot)
Been There

San Diego, CA

#15 Jan 29, 2007
scabicide wrote:
<quoted text>
Add to this: Post nasal drip, possibly somnambulism.( the tendency to be sleepy and sleep a lot)
yes, I second that. very sleepy.

Check the Treatments for Pets forum for a link with info on warnings about combining Ivermectin with other drugs that effect the neverous system.

the vet tech said the pets would get sleepy after their Ivermectin shots. doramectin has the same sleepyness effect on my pets.
Anna

AOL

#16 Jan 29, 2007
Sam,

I searched for the Ivexterm but no one is selling it for less than $50.

I would use the paste that others have recommended here but I really don't understand the right amount to take. I did buy the Elimite for $24 but would like to use both products.

Must find something cheap. No insurance.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Sam wrote:
Hope this helps.
Sam

United States

#17 Jan 29, 2007
Anna wrote:
Sam,
I searched for the Ivexterm but no one is selling it for less than $50.
I would use the paste that others have recommended here but I really don't understand the right amount to take. I did buy the Elimite for $24 but would like to use both products.
Must find something cheap. No insurance.
Any help on this would be appreciated.
<quoted text>
Anna, I got the Ivexterm in Mexico, and permethrin too. Are you near the boarder?

Somebody else help Anna with dosing on the Ivercare horse paste?
Anna

AOL

#18 Jan 29, 2007
Sam,

I live too far from Mexico. I was hoping to buy the Ivexterm online but can't find any place that's cheap enough.

Guess I'll try the paste.

What a great group of people here! Thanks.
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Anna, I got the Ivexterm in Mexico, and permethrin too. Are you near the boarder?
Somebody else help Anna with dosing on the Ivercare horse paste?
Been There

United States

#19 Jan 30, 2007
Petroleum Distillates: ingredient in some of the Permethrin products purchased from the feed stores.
Martin's Permethrin 10% does not have it.

Health Hazards

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/su...
Anna

AOL

#20 Jan 30, 2007
I'm going to order the Martin's Permethrin from Jeffers. Also the invermetin paste.

Could you direct me to the area on the board that explains how to use both products?

Thanks.
Been There

United States

#21 Jan 30, 2007
Anna wrote:
I'm going to order the Martin's Permethrin from Jeffers. Also the invermetin paste.
Could you direct me to the area on the board that explains how to use both products?
Thanks.
Hi Anna,

page 5 on the Scabies is Highly Contagious forum. go to the top of the this page and click on Forums....you will see Scabies is Highly Contagious
I had to search since this forum has about 2,000 posts now.

Scabies in Fl. has long detailed info on do it yourself pharmacy stuff

I will try to paste it for you here too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Absolute proof that hives are actually mites 1 hr Rob in Vancouver 10
Real difference between Permethrin and Essentia... 2 hr Rob in Vancouver 1
MMS and DMSO (Jul '11) 6 hr Jane 79
How to see your mites without skin scrapings. 7 hr Rob in Vancouver 1
scabies in bath water very hot bath water (Mar '15) 8 hr Rob in Vancouver 4
Hot Air Sauna Box Treatment for Scabies (Apr '12) 8 hr Rob in Vancouver 6
Hot water helps tremendously (Sep '15) 8 hr Rob in Vancouver 3
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 18 hr Bruce Allmitey 1,547
More from around the web