Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#145 Feb 8, 2013
Lisa wrote:
Do u have to use borax when you wash ur clothing and bedding? I've been using gain and I've been washing laundry for 2 going on 3 days. I don't even know how my son got them and it's driving me crazy.
You can use Borax or Arm and Hammer Laundry Detergent, either one is fine. Just use HOT water, when washing. The key is to not use any item of clothing or bedding or shoes any more often than once every 7 days. I like the Arm and Hammer Powdered Laundry Detergent. I stopped using the 20 Mule Team Borax a long time ago.
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#147 Feb 8, 2013
Lisa wrote:
Do u have to use borax when you wash ur clothing and bedding? I've been using gain and I've been washing laundry for 2 going on 3 days. I don't even know how my son got them and it's driving me crazy.
Lisa, I see you are posting from Chicago...
Lang used to post from Chicago....
Hi Lang...
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#148 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really the dryer that does the killing of mites and eggs. Heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
Scabies live 48 to 72 hours off the host.
Rat mites live 6 weeks off the host.
You can get them any where if someone infected is around. School, a store, a bird or deer, just about anything can pass them on.
If one in the house is infected you must assume everyone is now infected.
It can take six weeks for any signs to show up.
Good luck with your battle. You're just starting you will have a long road ahead of you.
No, it's not really the dryer that is killing the mites. It's the hot water, Lang. And laundry boosters help with this.
Also, if you pick up an animal mite, there is NO WAITING time for an allergic reaction to appear. It happens right away.
I always ensure that I don't pet the deer for any length of time.(jk).

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#149 Feb 8, 2013
Virtual Scabies wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not really the dryer that is killing the mites. It's the hot water, Lang. And laundry boosters help with this.
Also, if you pick up an animal mite, there is NO WAITING time for an allergic reaction to appear. It happens right away.
I always ensure that I don't pet the deer for any length of time.(jk).
Well both washer and dryers can kill them.

http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/...

Besides insecticide treatment of the body below the neck, clothing and bedding should be washed in hot water (125 degrees F) for 10 minutes. Clothes dryers exceed this temperature and will kill the scabies mite and eggs.

The 6 weeks was for scabies.
Lisa

Chicago, IL

#150 Feb 9, 2013
Ok thank you
bea

United States

#151 Feb 9, 2013
i have scabies. i got them from my son his been in out of the hospail. and we are staying in a motel trying to get rid of this are like lice but worst i think. can you get rid of them with bleach? please help me.
bea

United States

#152 Feb 9, 2013
Virtual Scabies wrote:
<quoted text>
You can use Borax or Arm and Hammer Laundry Detergent, either one is fine. Just use HOT water, when washing. The key is to not use any item of clothing or bedding or shoes any more often than once every 7 days. I like the Arm and Hammer Powdered Laundry Detergent. I stopped using the 20 Mule Team Borax a long time ago.
can you take bath in it too?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#153 Feb 9, 2013
bea wrote:
i have scabies. i got them from my son his been in out of the hospail. and we are staying in a motel trying to get rid of this are like lice but worst i think. can you get rid of them with bleach? please help me.
Bleach does so much damage to your skin I would be very careful. Your sons doctor should treat the whole family he should know that if one member of the family had them then the whole family most likely has them.
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#154 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Bleach does so much damage to your skin I would be very careful. Your sons doctor should treat the whole family he should know that if one member of the family had them then the whole family most likely has them.
Lang, who mentioned bleach??? Yes, you can use both Borax and/or the Arm and Hammer Powdered Laundry detergent in the tub, but NOT at the same time.
Check out the threads called Borax
Another thread called Arm and Hammer
You can also use a half of cup of bleach in your bath, but don't use everything at the same time. Lang is right. Get your scabies meds from the doctor, enough to treat the whole family, a few times.
After taking all these baths, moisturize your skin with a good body lotion. Add a small amount of tea tree oil to your lotion and/or sulphur. Both of these kill mites.
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#155 Feb 9, 2013
Sorry, Lang. My bad...
:-)
they did mention bleach. lol....

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#156 Feb 9, 2013
Virtual Scabies wrote:
<quoted text>Lang, who mentioned bleach??? Yes, you can use both Borax and/or the Arm and Hammer Powdered Laundry detergent in the tub, but NOT at the same time.
Check out the threads called Borax
Another thread called Arm and Hammer
You can also use a half of cup of bleach in your bath, but don't use everything at the same time. Lang is right. Get your scabies meds from the doctor, enough to treat the whole family, a few times.
After taking all these baths, moisturize your skin with a good body lotion. Add a small amount of tea tree oil to your lotion and/or sulphur. Both of these kill mites.
"who mentioned bleach??? "

Right here in this post by bea:

"i have scabies. i got them from my son his been in out of the hospail. and we are staying in a motel trying to get rid of this are like lice but worst i think. can you get rid of them with bleach? please help me."

"can you get rid of them with bleach?"

As I said before bleach is very harmful.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#157 Feb 9, 2013
Virtual Scabies wrote:
Sorry, Lang. My bad...
:-)
they did mention bleach. lol....
Yes they did. NP

Since: Oct 12

Sydney

#160 Feb 9, 2013
Fred wrote:
My panties are too tight!
Well, don't wear them across your head. The elastic's constricting your brain.
Fred

United States

#161 Feb 9, 2013
I forgot which alias I am posting under!
Faerie with Ooglies

Brisbane, Australia

#162 Feb 10, 2013
Adding Washing Soda (sodium carbonate), NOT sodium bi-carbonate to any laundry detergent does the same thing as Arm & Hammer.
Do not confuse with bicarb which is sodium bi-carbonate. It does not soften water.
Washing soda should be available in the laundry aisle. Use half and half with laundry powder. eg: one scoop laundry powder and one scoop washing soda.
It softens the water and kills any in the clothes.
Soaking for an hour before finishing the cycle is an extra assurity.
Especially important for underwear.
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#163 Feb 11, 2013
Faerie with Ooglies wrote:
Adding Washing Soda (sodium carbonate), NOT sodium bi-carbonate to any laundry detergent does the same thing as Arm & Hammer.
Do not confuse with bicarb which is sodium bi-carbonate. It does not soften water.
Washing soda should be available in the laundry aisle. Use half and half with laundry powder. eg: one scoop laundry powder and one scoop washing soda.
It softens the water and kills any in the clothes.
Soaking for an hour before finishing the cycle is an extra assurity.
Especially important for underwear.
Why add a laundry booster when A&H will work fine? Why spend more money and use two things when A&H detergent will work fine? I heard you like to run around with underwear over your head with the crotch right on your nose, and scream "I'm a Fairy with Ooglies."
Faerie with Ooglies

Brisbane, Australia

#164 Feb 12, 2013
Adding washing soda to any laundry powder will do the same job as Arm & Hammer which is not available in Australia.

Bushman's Personal Insect Repellent Heavy Duty 40% DEET (Diethyltoluamide) repels and kills mites on contact.

It is sticky.

A light spray on all floors stays on long term.

Spray on feet and lower legs to trap and kill any that jump on. A light spray on hands is proabably a good idea too.

The "popping" sensation some feel may be mites jumping onto the lower leg and feet.

DEET is available in Aus. at camping shops and Woolworths and Coles Supermarkets in the insect repellant aisle.$15 for a 225g can.
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#166 Feb 12, 2013
Fred wrote:
I forgot which alias I am posting under!
Could that be Lang from Chicago? rolling my eyes. ds
Virtual Scabies

Hollywood, FL

#167 Feb 15, 2013
Faerie with Ooglies wrote:
Adding washing soda to any laundry powder will do the same job as Arm & Hammer which is not available in Australia.
Bushman's Personal Insect Repellent Heavy Duty 40% DEET (Diethyltoluamide) repels and kills mites on contact.
It is sticky.
A light spray on all floors stays on long term.
Spray on feet and lower legs to trap and kill any that jump on. A light spray on hands is proabably a good idea too.
The "popping" sensation some feel may be mites jumping onto the lower leg and feet.
DEET is available in Aus. at camping shops and Woolworths and Coles Supermarkets in the insect repellant aisle.$15 for a 225g can.
This is interesting Fairy. Not many people speak about using DEET to repel and kill mites on lower legs. I used to use it when I first got this, especially in the car!!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#168 Feb 15, 2013
Virtual Scabies wrote:
<quoted text>Could that be Lang from Chicago? rolling my eyes. ds
I'm not posting under any other names

I'm not Fred. Far from it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 3 hr betseyB 4,293
Biting sensation, crawling, thin scratch lines 3 hr Tara 8
scabies in bath water very hot bath water 4 hr Tara 3
The solution for scabies is Bleach. This is the... (Mar '12) 4 hr Tara 165
Scabies .... scalp body solution that is FINALL... 7 hr Tara 2
How I cured scabies once and for good. 8 hr helping hand 3
I have got the scabies from my rabbits. :( (Aug '08) 14 hr Nishant 71
More from around the web