scabies treatment that worked for us

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AllBetter

United States

#1 May 13, 2008
I'm posting because I was terrified when I first learned what we had and then read horrifying posts. If what we did helps others, great. My nearly-two-year-old daughter has eczema, which apparently makes her very susceptible to scabies and other fun things. As a result of having the scabies, she had a staph infection, impetigo. The doctor misdiagnosed her as just having the staph infection, negating the scabies. By the way, I think this all started with her scalp problem...as a result of the eczema, etc...
She didn't look better to me after the antibiotic treatment. The large, infected sores were getting better, but the rash was spreading. I took her back and got to see the doctor again, who still misdiagnosed it before I got her to consult with our regular doctor, a wonderful woman and phenomenal doctor. The doctor we saw was helping in the office that day. Our regular doctor immediately said it was scabies and, in fact, the worst she'd ever seen. My son had bites on him, but that was nothing unusual for a three-year-old in Florida. I had a few itchy spots, as did my husband, but no big deal, not really noticeable even....until we realized what it was. Then we were hypersensitive to everything. It was awful.
After our good doc's diagnosis, the fill-in prescribed the 5% permethrin cream and said to just wash the sheets the next morning.
I went home and got online, of course. Horrifying. I cried when I thought this could possible last for months, years, and my daughter would suffer. She looked so awful and you could tell it was painful. She would scratch and say, "Ow. Boo boo."
The next day, we started a regimen that might even be extreme...but it's gone. I washed all of the bedding twice a day (in the morning and after naptime). The kids couldn't play on the beds or get on them at all. Clothes were washed immediately in the morning, as well as the towels from the adults showering. Clothes were washed as soon as we got home from somewhere and after naptime. They wore long, cotton, fitted pjs around the house....to contain any buggies.
Have to continue in another post...too big...
AllBetter

United States

#2 May 13, 2008
Continued....

We had to do a follow-up treatment after two weeks of the permethrin cream. We then did another after two more weeks. Each time I saved some cream (two tubes covered our family of four). I used the leftovers for any red dots that appeared. I got covers for the pillows and mattresses at Walmart (cheapest I found). I got the kind that zips. Before I put them on, I used a watered-down mixture of permethrin. I got some from a pet supply place for mites. You dilute it for "outdoor use" or "dog's bedding." I'm not a fan of chemicals, but was desperate. I sprayed the mattresses before I covered them first thing in the morning. The kids slept on clean sheets seven hours later. They were fine. I then got my husband to spray the yard with a sprayer from Lowes, as you can get them from your yard. We sprayed the cars, carseats, everything. In the meantime, we bagged everything cloth and bagged it, all dolls, rugs, curtains, everything. We created a mountain in the garage. We sprayed our shoes every time we took them off...sprayed outside. I kept the kids away from the fumes. We also bombed the house with Raid Fumigators.
With the Raid, permethrin cream and spray, washing everything in hot water and Borax and having the carpets cleaned with hot water (careful how you ask...one wouldn't do mine. One left after I said what we had. He wouldn't have caught it, I don't think. The next people were fine.) we got past it.
It was unbelievable difficult, but it would have been so much easier if I had known these things first. I was clueless and scared. Get the cream, get the spray, bag in garbage bags and spray them before closing, get the mattress/pillow covers, schedule to have the carpets cleaned after the home is cleared and before you bomb...then use the permethrin cream....attack it and wash, wash, wash in hot water. If you do it all at once and have a plan to make it work methodically, I bet it only lasts a few days.
Hope this helps.
Mite Killer

United States

#3 May 13, 2008
thanks for sharing your story. It should be on the "I'm Cured" tread, it's a good post.

What product did you use to spray the yard? I purchased some Permethrin 10% and an IGR to add to the mix.

Stay mite free.
AllBetter

United States

#4 May 13, 2008
Thanks for being so active with this! Your information helped me a lot!!! I actually bought the ivermectin, but, fortunately, never needed it.

For the yard, I used Happy Jack Kenned Dip II, 17% permethrin. I followed the directions on the back for dilution.

I'll copy & paste to the other string. Thanks for letting me know. I'm also posting another on what we used for our daughter's skin to help with the itching....

Thank you!
AllBetter

United States

#5 May 13, 2008
Also, for our daughter's skin, because the itching and the rash was horrible, we used Aveeno Active Naturals Eczema Care body wash. It was wonderful...and is. We used Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, which really helped with the itching. We had Altabax retapamulin ointment, 1%, for the infection that resulted from the scabies, Perrigo Fluticasone Propionate ointment,.005%, for the rash (like a hydrocortisone), and 1/2 teaspoon of hydroxyzine, 10 mg / 5 ml every 6 hours when the itching was bad. This REALLY helped her sleep, because she was not without it. It does make you drowsy, but, mostly, it stops the itching when it is worst, at night. I imagine it's harder for their little bodies to fight it, too, if they aren't getting enough sleep. Itchy and no sleep = very fussy, too! And, lastly, the yard stuff we used was Happy Jack Kennel Dip II...the highest permethrin I could find. We followed the directions on the back for mixing. I used the most diluted for inside as well, most often in shoes and doorways, a couple of times on the beds a long time before we used them again...and never over the sheets, only under new, clean sheets. I only did the pillows once. I was the primary sprayer. It made my throat a little scratchy, but no other side effects. Of course, it could have been the combination of that and tons and tons of bleach! In any case, they're dead and gone and have been for almost two months now. Oh, and we left even fairly necassary items bagged for a couple of weeks, then pulled those out and washed them again. We unpacked some more important items a couple of weeks later, doing the same, then the last batch, like some toys, were finally unpacked yesterday....mostly because I just got to it yesterday. And take care of your back through this!! It sent me to the chiropractor.

There's hope!!!
Welty

AOL

#6 May 14, 2008
Thank you for posting AllBetter. It's amazing that you did this with children and that exhausting schedule. Thanks for the blow by blow description. You deserve a medal for all you did. Hope your Mother's Day was extra happy.
AllBetter

United States

#7 May 15, 2008
Had a great Mother's Day. Thank you so much, Welty, for your comments....they're very appreciated :-)
Rudy

Weslaco, TX

#8 Jun 12, 2008
I have scabies and I'm 17 and I'Am scared!
my doctor prescribed perrigo permethrin cream which I currently used
two nights ago I live with my grandparents! and they don't have it yet!
but we always have visitors over like my younger cousins and my small brothers and sisters! I'm worried because I got more red spots on my arm after I used the treatment I washed my all clothes bed sheets and pillow cases I even bought new pillows but I flipped my bed over I sprayed raid!
the towels to! my whole house is clean I don't set on the sofa anymore or anything that may give me scabies again!
Sam

Elk Grove, CA

#9 Jun 15, 2008
Rudy, no worries you will be fine. Most people have to use the permethrin again after 7 days so I hope the doc prescribed that for you. Permethrin doesn't kill the eggs is why a second treatment is needed. Vacuum really good several times.

You caught it early so that's good, and you have young healthy skin which makes treatment easy. Don't worry about the others catching it but maybe just watch to see if they are itching or have bumps. If so then tell their parents that you had it. Don't let all the posts on here scare you.
Pete

San Mateo, CA

#11 Feb 27, 2009
I had to go back to the doctor (I found a different doctor this time) after the scabies came back within a week and a half of my first course of Permethrin. The new doctor noted that the previous doctor had made a significant mistake in her treatment: she only gave me a single course of Permethrin. Two courses of Permethrin is a requirement, 10-12 days apart. Apparently, even if you've scrubbed and vacuumed and used Permethrin, there will almost always be eggs. The eggs will hatch within a week and they're back. That's why you do a second course: catch the newborns after they've hatched and before they are mature adults (and can lay more eggs). Also, you have to go through the whole de-infestation process all over again 10 days later when you take the second course. I'm about to go through round 2 - I'll post the results. They don't appear to be back yet, but I am supposed to do a second course anyway, just to be certain.
Grammas

Canada

#12 Aug 31, 2010
I have been trying all sorts of things to get rid of this horrible thing. Here's what you need to do, you need to put the permethrin lotion from head to toe for it to work effectively. Your scalp needs to be saturated, as they hide out there and infect your body later. You also need to leave this lotion on for a minimum of 14 hours. I did this last time and am going to re-treat in 7 days and so far I am having much more success! Hoping I have it cured now!! Third day since treatment and only slight itching no other symptoms, crossing my fingers as I say this. As for cleaning, good vacuuming, wash bedding and clothing recently worn, spray shoes, wash floors. Good luck everyone.
jamie

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Dec 3, 2010
Has anyone tried Happy Jack for dogs? We used it and ivermectin for our dogs when they came down with scabies. The vet, of course, could find nothing. My husband also came down with it.

Now, we went to the carribean on NCL's private island and became infected with some horrible mite. It doesn't act like scabies. Scabies wasn't so bad.
this mite mulitplies insanely even when using permethrin sprays, etc. So, I'm thinking of using the happy jack on me and my daughter.

It has strong sulfur, linseed, turpentine, pinetar...etc..

Never again will I go to Norwegian cruise line's private island. Many posters thought they had sand fleas... I was never on the sand. I think a bag my daughter bought from their straw market was horribly infested.

Unbelievable!!!!!
I believe most people here do not have scabies but either the springtail or some other crazy mite. Scabies wasn't that hard to get rid of, not at all.

This mite seems to be a super-bug.

I have tried permethrin, benzoyl benzoate, sulfur, washing bedding and clothing every day and bagging it everyday, now am spraying raid in bags and on bedding. I use borax, permethrin, or bleach in wash....
IRAHS

Lafayette, IN

#14 Dec 8, 2010
@jamie Have you tried Biosilk check out the posts

Since: Nov 10

Mitcham, Australia

#15 Dec 11, 2010
jamie wrote:
Has anyone tried Happy Jack for dogs? We used it and ivermectin for our dogs when they came down with scabies. The vet, of course, could find nothing. My husband also came down with it.
Now, we went to the carribean on NCL's private island and became infected with some horrible mite. It doesn't act like scabies. Scabies wasn't so bad.
this mite mulitplies insanely even when using permethrin sprays, etc. So, I'm thinking of using the happy jack on me and my daughter.
It has strong sulfur, linseed, turpentine, pinetar...etc..
Never again will I go to Norwegian cruise line's private island. Many posters thought they had sand fleas... I was never on the sand. I think a bag my daughter bought from their straw market was horribly infested.
Unbelievable!!!!!
I believe most people here do not have scabies but either the springtail or some other crazy mite. Scabies wasn't that hard to get rid of, not at all.
This mite seems to be a super-bug.
I have tried permethrin, benzoyl benzoate, sulfur, washing bedding and clothing every day and bagging it everyday, now am spraying raid in bags and on bedding. I use borax, permethrin, or bleach in wash....
I know you probably have, but have you considered bed bugs? They are supposedly resistant to permethrin. Apparently FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth is good (but don't inhale it and get <1% crystalline silica if you can) and I think the fourth generation pyrethroids are supposed to work better.
desprite

Tacoma, WA

#16 Dec 25, 2010
im 16 and i recently found out i have scabbies!
this is so scary for me because its my christmas break and i have these scabie bites everywhere! it started probably 2 months ago but me and my mom just thought it was flee bites so we didnt go to the doctor.. i began to research what i had and i came across scabies.. something i had never heard before.. so then my mom made an appoiontment for me to go to the doctor. i have scabie marks all over my arms and hands and its embarrassing ): my doctor gave me perrigo permethrin cream, 5%* w/w and i put it on from my hair line to my feet!.. litereally everywhere. and i thought it would go away. but the next day i found a scabie mark/bite on my face!! i thought hmm.. maybe its a pimple.. but i dont get achne so i was consered. but i didnt worry to much. then the NEXT day i woke up with massive bites all over my face! it looks terrible. it lookes like i have acne everywhere. but they arent pimples.. i have so many questions and i just need some help from people who have had scabies, so if someone can help me answer some questions, PLEASE reply! im desprite!!
Amy

Beckley, WV

#17 Dec 26, 2010
Ill answer anything I can honey I have been where you are and I know how horrible you feel. I was told nov. 30th and am recovering. I can tell you their is a thing called post scabies and it can be just as bad. I was perscribed the permethrin 5% too. You have to treat yourself again in 7 to 10 days, and anyone living with you has to be treated even if they are not showing signs. I put it all over even on my face and scalp You have to treat your beds as well as your sheets covers pillows, cloths towels, carpets, its alot of work but if you want them gone it has to be done. This forum has alot of info about scabies but please dont let it scare you like I let it scare me. Scabies can be cured you are young and you should be able to beat this its alot of work and work that has to be done everyday. It does take time. You can itch for up to a month or longer.
dolly

Bellevue, WA

#18 Feb 2, 2011
i have scabies and they wont go away should i throw away my bed?
Deanna

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Mar 29, 2011
I am almost 100% positive my household has scabies. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that brought it in after tanning at my normal tanning place. Shortly after I tanned a few days I noticed hive like tiny blisters on my hands and feet. My doc said I coulda picked up hand foot n mouth somewhere but the thing is, I have 2 boys, 7months n 4 years n neither of them had anything! So after a few days, no tanning, it all went away. Or so I thought. Instead it just moved. It looks like little pimples/dry skin all over my upper theigjs not really on the lower parts of my legs or feet, it's all over my arms, not much on my hands tho. So after having this about 2 months which didn't itch n I thought was just dry dead skin...my son woke up really hive-ish looking a few nights ago. He also like a lot of the other posts has asthma/excma as well n it's not rare for him to be sensitive to most things. Thought maybe it was from my moms detergent when he spent that night. So for 2 days Ive been going nuts, looking up bed bugs, scabies, etc. Duct taping anything I see in our beds to show an exterminater! Crazy!! Finally, this morning my 4 year old woke up with his butt covered in red dots! They looked like pimples just some had black dots in the middle. So now I'm pretty much convinced it's scabies n actually kind of relieved it's not bed bugs! I called the kids doc this afternoon n she cannot see them until Thursday which is 2 days away! I bought benedryl n as soon as my husband gets home I will be on my way to the pharmacy to buy everything possible! My only concern is with my 7 month old. He has not really shown many signs. A red dot here n there which could be from anything but I wasn't sure if u can use the same cream on infants n young children. I also have dandruff. I saw above some shampoo listed which I will get but is that normal? I've never had dandruff before even the slightest bit n haven't washed my hair in a few days, it's really long so I do it as least as possible, but with that u would thing it would have more oils in it n be less dry n less likely to flake. Do scabies cause this? I haven't noticed any sores or bumps on my head but it is slightly itchy. I'm itchy all over of course just from the thought but when ur a mom u can't make a fuss over bugs :) we have to do ALL the dirty work! We do have a cat as well. Unfortunately indoor/outdoor so we will most likely be treating the yard. Do u have to treat pets just the same? I saw some dandruff on her too! Haven't seen her scratching.....yet! Anything related or unrelated would be greatly appreciated!
Itchy Spouse

Conway, AR

#20 Apr 6, 2011
Deanna, you have to call the nurse and make them see you immediately or have them call in prescriptions for the whole family. Or find a walk-in clinic and be there first thing in the morning. Don't wait! Once you get a diagnosis of scabies make sure that they write 4 or more refills for the permethrin and ask about stromectal while you're there to plant the seed. They should call in Rxs for you if you need more. I'm a drug rep. If your physician is unwilling to help you GET A NEW ONE. Any thoughtful clinician will not want you there in the office, potentially infecting his office space.
anon

Australia

#21 Apr 29, 2011
can i sleep on newly washed sheets whilst wearing lyclear (scabies cream)?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i overcame scabies! (Jul '13) 3 hr anticipating freedom 10
Collembola/Springtails (Jan '13) 9 hr Almost Cured 533
sulphur!!! (Mar '09) 13 hr Scabies hell 40
Psorinum........homeopathic cure for Scabies? (Sep '11) Tue oh my 113
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Mon oh my 4,149
I have scabies and I'm freaking out Mon Itchymommyandtoddler 4
Septic scabies and scabies on obs Mon dancesilly2 2
Removing Scabies from your Environment (Jan '08) Oct 19 ashleyshere 252
The solution for scabies is Bleach. This is the... (Mar '12) Oct 18 itchee 135
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) Oct 12 scabiesbgone4good 628