Heidelberg, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Hello all,
I am currently studying in Germany. About a month ago I noticed these strange pimple-like bumps on me that appeared in places pimples don't usually appear for me, including my hands, shins, and upper arms. They are slightly itchy, but only slightly. I was afraid they were bed bug bites because I found a bed bug in a hostel I stayed in. However, I killed it and didn't see any more signs of bed bugs (I am very educated on the whole bed bugs issue now) and have subsequently searched my dorm multiple times and even installed a passive monitor that should show signs of them if they exist. I have seen no signs of the bugs.

However, I know these bumps are SOMETHING, so I went to a dermatologist last week. He said the bites are absolutely not typical of bed bug bites, and he believes I have scabies. He gave me the permethrin cream but I have recently noticed a couple new bumps since I started the treatment. Now I'm afraid I don't actually have scabies. Besides, when I googled Scabies, I found pictures of severe rashes and heard stories of severe itching...and I have neither. Just these stupid sliiightly itchy pimple-like bites.

How can I tell if they are scabies? Is it possible to have scabies that don't itch severely? Am I just being paranoid? Any perspective would be great!
Ihatebugs

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

I believe it is possible to have scabies and almost no itch because that is what I am experiencing. I was diagnosed in September. I saw someone else on this forum in China with little to no itch. Note: do not let people tell you this is a specific mite called Norwegian scabies. Norwegian scabies is simply a term given to a severe infestation of the mites in an individual. Also called crusted scabies because a kind of plaque starts to form on the skin, beneath which hundreds of mites live.

As I said, I am fully convinced they are on me and I am going to eradicate them soon. I have all the other classic signs. I have seen the fine red lines on my arms. The slightly large, pimple like bumps as well, which I presume are the burrows. Pin pricking and crawling sensations but not that bad. My theory is that the mite population is low and there isn't enough IgE from the mites and/or my body's natural makeup doesn't respond to the IgE. Of course, stay on top of it regardless. Hope this helps!
Christina

Heidelberg, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

It definitely helps to hear someone else has a similar problem, thank you! I can't tell if I am seeing the lines or just imagining things, but it seems like you and I are experiencing the same symptoms. I do not know what IgE is, but it sounds scientific enough to work.

As for the Norwegian scabies, well, one of the bumps on my leg eventually had some slight "crusting" around it if you will but it looks NOTHING like the nasty Norwegian scabies pictures I've seen. At this point, though, I am actually hoping it is scabies rather than bed bugs because it is slightly easier to control.

A sidenote: Two of my bumps were surrounded by red circles, kind of like in this picture: http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/spider-bite.... but I highly doubt they're spider bites. I don't know if this extra information is helping or not, but I am just sick of being skeptical/confused.
JJH

Sheffield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Christina wrote:
Hello all,
I am currently studying in Germany. About a month ago I noticed these strange pimple-like bumps on me that appeared in places pimples don't usually appear for me, including my hands, shins, and upper arms. They are slightly itchy, but only slightly. I was afraid they were bed bug bites because I found a bed bug in a hostel I stayed in. However, I killed it and didn't see any more signs of bed bugs (I am very educated on the whole bed bugs issue now) and have subsequently searched my dorm multiple times and even installed a passive monitor that should show signs of them if they exist. I have seen no signs of the bugs.
However, I know these bumps are SOMETHING, so I went to a dermatologist last week. He said the bites are absolutely not typical of bed bug bites, and he believes I have scabies. He gave me the permethrin cream but I have recently noticed a couple new bumps since I started the treatment. Now I'm afraid I don't actually have scabies. Besides, when I googled Scabies, I found pictures of severe rashes and heard stories of severe itching...and I have neither. Just these stupid sliiightly itchy pimple-like bites.
How can I tell if they are scabies? Is it possible to have scabies that don't itch severely? Am I just being paranoid? Any perspective would be great!
It may be some type of innocent bite however to be sure
Try Spregal you should be able to get it there, I have just received it from a French online chemist as it is their front line medication for scabies, it may be the same in Germany. Permathin did not work on me neither did it work on my dogs.
Eegg

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

The dead giveaway for me that it was scabies was the pattern and where they appeared on my body: hands, feet, midsection, forearms, and neck. I probably had about 8 or 9 different sites of about 4-6 bites per site. They appeared before they started to itch, but it was probably only for a week or so. Then the itching started like MAD. It was so bad at night I swear I was scratching layers off my skin.

The doctor gave me permethrin cream, 5% prescription, but I thinly you can get 1% lotion over the counter. I hear 1% only worlds for lice though.

I've read horror stories about people not getting rid of them but I vacuumed obsessively, laundered everything, and did the treatment by the book. I also live alone so I have less of a chance of re infestation. It's been 4 weeks since any bumps and I think they're gone. Traveling, it might be a bit harder to get rid of, but try hitting up a laundromat and dousing yourself in permethrin. Good luck to you, I know it's a terrible feeling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

145 Users are viewing the Scabies Forum right now

Search the Scabies Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Post Scabies Red Bumps (Aug '09) 2 hr badbugs 117
Pin Prick & Crawling Sensations? Post Scabies T... (Apr '12) 3 hr love it 183
Post-Scabies Treatment Eczema (Jan '07) 3 hr Leede 322
Post Scabies vs. Active Scabies 5 hr Leede 1
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 13 hr boyohboy 4,010
Albendazole (Valbazen) Curing Me (Oct '13) 13 hr Flossy 719
How does vaseline work? (Dec '09) 14 hr killingthem 32
•••
•••
•••
•••