Welty, my vet just diagnosed red bird...

Welty, my vet just diagnosed red bird mites--any advice?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Itching as a way of life

Surprise, AZ

#1 Sep 19, 2008
In a sense, it's a relief to finally know for certain what's been biting us. I read that the red bird mite can go 8 months without feeding. One good point about the red bird mite is that apparently it doesn't burrow under the skin. Could you call this good news? You know, I happen to be bi-polar, and therefore no one will sell me health insurance. When I go to the doctors, I use fake names and pay cash so that I won't have a pre-existing condition in case I am ever able to get insurance. I had a body scan (using a fake name last year) and they found a small nodule in my left lung.(My company, Delta AirLines, has not allowed me to work since I was released from the hospital for Bi-Polar Disorder and I am now in limbo--on a medical leave of absence with no benefits) Anyway, I worked nearly 25 years as a flight attendant and 12 of those years were in smoke filled cabins. I don't qualify for assistance since I got married last year, but I also can't afford treatment. That's why I haven't bothered with the recommended follow-up. At this point, I no longer care. I just want to live as long as my dog.
Welty

AOL

#2 Sep 21, 2008
Hi Itching. You are the one person that I wondered if they had bird mites. This is not a medical problem. It is an environmental problem. It sounds like you have some money, when you went on a cruise, which would have helped scabies. I think that non-toxic is to tent your house and superheat it. Look for a service that offers this. It kills mites which are hard to kill. Bird mites like to live in wood, baseboards, bed frames, etc. Get dustmite encasements on your mattress and box spring from National Allergy who are having a sale. Plastic is fine for box spring, but if you have a little extra, go with breathable mattress encasement in your hot climate. You need an exterminator to do your house, but tenting dry heat is one way to go. Lean on your insurance carrier, they may pay for this. Make a claim and don't take no. Since you live in Arizona, at least it's dry, which is very hard on mites. Now, your Dog. If they are biting your dog, get your Dog on Revolution and Program both. The ones that don't die from the Revolution will not be able to reproduce if they have Program, the once every six month Insect Growth Regulator. It's a shot. It will work on any blood feeders. Program is safe to use with your choice of other topical insecticides. Revolution is great because it is systemic and gets the blood stream. Once a month spot on. You dog can help you reduce the mite population. They are blood feeders who feed mostly at night. As for you, there isn't any need for medical stuff. We don't make spot ons for humans. You want to avoid these things. Some home remedies that work are, DeFlea which is non-toxic and works to get the ones out of your bed frame, where a great many will be living. Pyrethrins are not very good. You can call Do My Own Pest Control and get some things that work on mites. Many pros do not even have anything but Pyrethrins. Ask around, because they don't work on these mites and you need a pro who knows what they are dealing with. They could be still living in, or coming in your AC unit. Get a pro. You need a comprehenisive approach. Let them bite your dog, let your dog sleep with you.
Sorry to hear about your plight! At one point I thought I had these. Now I realize it's apples and oranges. Hang in there. This is the worst you will have them. Think about getting another dog and getting them with the Program and Revolution. Hopefully they will like them and die when they feed or not be able to reproduce, in your case more animals are better. And your dog will have a buddy. I am glad you live in an arid climate, but really sorry you have this. Don't try wacky home remedies to address this problem. You need a pro. A pro who knows enough to use a different spray than Pyrethrins.
Welty

AOL

#3 Sep 21, 2008
P.S. I know some people who live in Hawaii and they have their house tented every single month for insects. It's routine for Hawaii. I haven't ever been to Hawaii myself, but anyway, one good tenting with the right mitacide should be also a good way to go. But tenting is more failsafe. Oh, yeah. These mites feed at night. You know my thought is to not go on the bird mite forum. You will end up doing something "natural" that won't help. You can beat this, but do something now before they get any more. Get the best sprayers you can find and somebody who knows bird mites. Go major chain. Maybe IsoTech. I like that show the Verminators. But let your fingers do the walking. Ask about followups, etc. If superheating your house, probably no followup is neccessary. Check all AC units. Don't use outdoor brooms indoors. Hot steamers, are not hot enough. Exterminators are probably common in AZ. My AZ grandmother had the Orkin man come around several times a year. She was very healthy. Exterminators are very desirable for this problem. Find out if they include a followup, call several companies and see what they say. Good luck. I hope you and your dog and hubby have many wonderful years together after you beat these $%^T%9)),S.
Itty Bitty Critters

Deerfield Beach, FL

#4 Sep 21, 2008
Welty wrote:
P.S. I know some people who live in Hawaii and they have their house tented every single month for insects. It's routine for Hawaii. I haven't ever been to Hawaii myself, but anyway, one good tenting with the right mitacide should be also a good way to go. But tenting is more failsafe. Oh, yeah. These mites feed at night. You know my thought is to not go on the bird mite forum. You will end up doing something "natural" that won't help. You can beat this, but do something now before they get any more. Get the best sprayers you can find and somebody who knows bird mites. Go major chain. Maybe IsoTech. I like that show the Verminators. But let your fingers do the walking. Ask about followups, etc. If superheating your house, probably no followup is neccessary. Check all AC units. Don't use outdoor brooms indoors. Hot steamers, are not hot enough. Exterminators are probably common in AZ. My AZ grandmother had the Orkin man come around several times a year. She was very healthy. Exterminators are very desirable for this problem. Find out if they include a followup, call several companies and see what they say. Good luck. I hope you and your dog and hubby have many wonderful years together after you beat these $%^T%9)),S.
If she has bird mites, then YES, positively go on the birdmitesorg yahoo group. One person on there named trlyblest is a very knowledgeable person who has beat these mites. She recommends hiring a small pest control company, and find someone who knows how to treat bird mites. She said the big companies didn't help her. good luck.
adanaturkey8385

Post Falls, ID

#5 Sep 21, 2008
Have you had further tests to see what the lung nodule is? Just wondering because they found a nodule in my lung too in May. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Asthma.

Char
Itching as a way of life wrote:
In a sense, it's a relief to finally know for certain what's been biting us. I read that the red bird mite can go 8 months without feeding. One good point about the red bird mite is that apparently it doesn't burrow under the skin. Could you call this good news? You know, I happen to be bi-polar, and therefore no one will sell me health insurance. When I go to the doctors, I use fake names and pay cash so that I won't have a pre-existing condition in case I am ever able to get insurance. I had a body scan (using a fake name last year) and they found a small nodule in my left lung.(My company, Delta AirLines, has not allowed me to work since I was released from the hospital for Bi-Polar Disorder and I am now in limbo--on a medical leave of absence with no benefits) Anyway, I worked nearly 25 years as a flight attendant and 12 of those years were in smoke filled cabins. I don't qualify for assistance since I got married last year, but I also can't afford treatment. That's why I haven't bothered with the recommended follow-up. At this point, I no longer care. I just want to live as long as my dog.
Sam

Rio Vista, CA

#6 Sep 21, 2008
Ada, sorry about your lung nodule. Did they remove it? That's scary. All the more reason to consider an opportunistic fungal infection.

Merck manual: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec14/ch180/ch180c....
adanaturkey8385

Seattle, WA

#7 Sep 23, 2008
Is that what you have, what that site talks about?
No, they didn't take it. They aren't worried about it. I am. I'm going to send copies of my records to my doctor.
corbin mack

United States

#8 Dec 20, 2013
Itching as a way of life wrote:
In a sense, it's a relief to finally know for certain what's been biting us. I read that the red bird mite can go 8 months without feeding. One good point about the red bird mite is that apparently it doesn't burrow under the skin. Could you call this good news? You know, I happen to be bi-polar, and therefore no one will sell me health insurance. When I go to the doctors, I use fake names and pay cash so that I won't have a pre-existing condition in case I am ever able to get insurance. I had a body scan (using a ased from the hospital for Bi-Polar Disorder and I am now in limbo--on a medical leave of absence with no benefits) Anyway, I worked nearly 25 years as a flight attendant and 12 of those years were in smoke filled cabins. I don't qualify for assistance since I got married last year, but I also can't afford treatment. That's why I haven't bothered with the recommended follow-up. At this point, I no longer care. I just want to live as long as my dog.
service proz san diego kills bird mights. bed bugs...they have the tools and tricks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies Clinical Trials Details United States 8 hr sdcsteve 9
Beating scabies 9 hr aes 2
What is the life cycle of the scabie? 9 hr Laroc17 2
Completely Cured (May '10) 16 hr Star 63
Imidacloprid (Jan '10) 17 hr Shar57 1,814
Do I have scabies or something else? I desperat... (Sep '12) Tue Jaydensmommy 115
Scabies on face and scalp? (Aug '07) Tue TaraBear 1,005
More from around the web