Turpentine Killed Them On Scalp

Posted in the Scabies Forum

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Over it - Finally

Apopka, FL

#1 May 25, 2010
IT's been day 4 of using turpentine on the scalp mixed with a conditioner, and the scalp is really tender and sore, but no more crawly feeling up there.

Thought I would let someone know my experience, as i used host of other arsenals on the scalp, and it took 7 weeks to find something that worked. Hope that helps someone!
MikDee

Milford, PA

#3 May 25, 2010
Turpentine! Wow, that's strong stuff. I've actually thought of using kerosene, but never had the nerve.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#4 May 26, 2010
Please try this instead, it wont kill you.

Desert Essence Theraputic Treatment shampoo and conditioner. It got rid if my itchy miteridden scalp problems in 5 days.

merry beth

United States

#5 May 26, 2010
Bitey wrote:
Please try this instead, it wont kill you.
Desert Essence Theraputic Treatment shampoo and conditioner. It got rid if my itchy miteridden scalp problems in 5 days.
Bitey where do you get turpentine? How much did you put in your conditioner. Did you just put it on and then wash out?
I do know I dont have lice. lol I went to the doctor.
Over it - Finally

Lady Lake, FL

#6 May 26, 2010
merry beth wrote:
<quoted text>
Bitey where do you get turpentine? How much did you put in your conditioner. Did you just put it on and then wash out?
I do know I dont have lice. lol I went to the doctor.
Turpentine Oil can be found in the medical section at almost any store. I would try Walgreens, and it is usually under $5. It is really strong, but I only mixed in a couple of tablespoons with 1/3 cup conditioner, and then left on over night. Yes, it will kill them, and THANK GOD! It worked for me, and it also worked when I used it on the rest of my body mixed with lotion. I did the same drill, couple of tablespoons mixed in with 1/2 cup lotion, and then spread on. If you use the turpentine oil directly it will burn, it should be mixed with something else. Out of everything else I tried on the forum, this worked straight away, and wasn't the let down that permethrin was.

This is just what worked for me, and my hope is that it helps someone else, as everything else on this forum, including the medical profession seemed to "help" but not eliminate them.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#7 May 27, 2010
NO I have not and will not use turpentine. I use DESERT ESENCE TREATMENT SHAMPOO. I would be afraid of turpentine is it harmful for the body?
Ginger

Mount Vernon, OH

#8 May 27, 2010
I think using turpentine is a little extreme but to each his own. I would find a safer route for getting the mites out of your hair or scalp. You don't know the side effects or the long term effects on your health and body.
Over it - Finally

Lady Lake, FL

#9 May 28, 2010
Ginger wrote:
I think using turpentine is a little extreme but to each his own. I would find a safer route for getting the mites out of your hair or scalp. You don't know the side effects or the long term effects on your health and body.
Well considering that the whole scabies stint lasted 7 months, Id rather kill them off my head, then suffer with them all over me month after month. I lost my job, moved 4 times, enough was enough. Now they are gone. Peace out!

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#10 May 28, 2010
I was thinking of turpentine myself.
I copied down your mixtures. Did you do this all day for 5 days, just at night,???

I'm willing to try it.
Any help from you would be appreciated.
Do you think turpentine at hobby store would be the same?

I need to get a re-fill for Mupirocin anyway, will ask Walgreen's pharmacist.

I know turpentine was an "old standby" home remedy many years ago. Think it was considered a bit extreme, but used when needed. My dad mentioned it every once in a while.

Thank You Very Much
Bitey

Portland, OR

#11 May 28, 2010
Turpentine! You have got to be crazy to poison yourself like this. Why not use the shampoo that worked for me. It takes 5 days and it worked!
Joe

Fort Worth, TX

#12 May 28, 2010
Turpintine has been used by others on this fourm . Look
for the name 2Scratch. She had a really hard time using traditional scabicides. She did use turpintine and finally was able to rid herself of this plague.

It was a combination and total commitment to riding herself, that worked.

Location hidden

#13 May 28, 2010
Bitey, I've been using RX Ketoconazole shampoo on most of body for over 2 weeks every other day, ZNP bar on the opposite days, Tea Tree wash that I've added more Tea Tree oil to, I've had straight ammonia on my head, bleach solution, vinegars, baking soda, salt scrubs, and on and on and on.......and most of it with a plastic bag over my head(hair anyway).

Have 2 RX ointments.......this just goes on and on forever. Have battled the blepharitis for about 4 years and am getting biting sensations anywhere now. So far other areas are minimal and I'm getting around to being willing do about anything if there's a chance of clearing it up once and for all.

Am trying to find more info.

I'm being poisoned by what is already going on.

I do thank you for your concern. I'm not going to jump in to it too quickly.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#14 May 28, 2010
Try one more shampoo and stick with one main treatment. Part of my problem is I kept trying everything. I had to relax and systematically do just one or two non toxic things.

If I were you I would bag all your clothing and linens and use only one set of towels you wash every day and two sets of sheets you wash them every other day.

wear nylon workout outfits and keep two or three of them and wash them hard everytime you wear them.

Shampoo your carpeting with a little Benzyl Benzoate in the carpet shampoo. Vacume every day but wear long sleeves, socks, and long pants when vacuming, then change clothing and take a shower.

Try showerin with mild soap. your skin is crying out since it needs healing.

I feel like once you get your environment cleaned up and your self relaxed and using non toxic products like vaseline, hand cream, mild soaps and stuff you will get better. I had to heal from the bleach and hot baths. i feel certain I got them in my scalp because of the bathing. I take showers now.

DESERT ESSENCE THERAPUTIC TREATMENT SHAMPOO is wonderful. It says on the bottle it can treat for lice but has no toxic ingrediants in it. The THERAPUTIC TREATMENT CONDITIONER helps too and you could try leaving it in your hair for a while.

Baby your skin please, you are precious!!!

Bitey

Portland, OR

#15 May 28, 2010
I had blepharitis and I believe it is over abundance of demodex mites, according to all that I have read, a man developed a cure for the eyelash stuff we have.

Please read my Demodex mite post on that thread. I have outlined the treatment but you have to be careful to not get it in your eyes.

Location hidden

#16 May 28, 2010
Thanks very much Bitey. Yes, I did have to heal from the bleach baths too. I work out in pool usually 5 times a week, so adding bleach baths was too much.
I'm not able to do so much beyond normal laundry, daily sheet changes are more than I can handle, etc. My apartment is pretty clean, but getting cluttered with all the stuff trying to get rid of this and the hours I spend on it....

I'm actually getting compliments on how shiny my hair is---like we all used to have in the 1950's and 60's!!!!

Boar bristle brushes help bring natural oils down the hair shaft, and feel great on the scalp.

Have been using several really good oils; sesame, sunflower, and others. Skin is looking good. I just think the turpentine could wipe out whatever is left and do it quickly. Am wondering about least strong mixture that will still work. We have a 24 hour Walgreen's here and the late night pharmacist has been very helpful to me. I plan to talk with him about it.

I think your blepharitis posts are what brought me into this forum.

Please don't worry. I like my life and plan to be around and happy for a long time. I'm planning Caribbean cruise #5 for early 2011!!!(Thank goodness the rest of my family like me and send me on cruises now and then!!!)
Over it - Finally

Altamonte Springs, FL

#17 May 29, 2010
Sig Olson wrote:
I was thinking of turpentine myself.
I copied down your mixtures. Did you do this all day for 5 days, just at night,???
I'm willing to try it.
Any help from you would be appreciated.
Do you think turpentine at hobby store would be the same?
I need to get a re-fill for Mupirocin anyway, will ask Walgreen's pharmacist.
I know turpentine was an "old standby" home remedy many years ago. Think it was considered a bit extreme, but used when needed. My dad mentioned it every once in a while.
Thank You Very Much
Right, I had tried everything else, and the permethrin treatments were exasperating in comparison to the tablespoons with lotion or conditioner. I couldnt even walk somedays from the kidney damage Ivermectin did to me. Permethrin was constantly making my skin peel off in flakes, and the sulfur treatments were super drying as well. In comparison to EVERYTHING I tried on here, this worked the best for me. Calmed them down right away, and now I have very little going on. Turpentine is natural, but it is very very strong. I poured it on straight to the scalp due to ignorance, and I realized how strong it truly is, and cut it with conditioner. Be careful, I would spot test an "active" part of the scalp, and then adjust, since some people are super sensitive with skin....

It's inexpensive, and quick, but use sound judgement. I tried it because I heard it was a cure all in the "olden days", and when I ran across some in the medical section by the band aids I thought I would try it. I had tried everything else. Good luck everyone. Scabies is a distant nightmare, that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Peace out!~
Over it - Finally

Altamonte Springs, FL

#18 May 29, 2010
I don't feel any activity on my scalp at all, but in regards to your question, I left it on for about 12 hours at a time.

Sometimes I mixed the turpentine with olive oil + conditioner, and then let it dry until I felt more movement, and then I would wash and comb my hair while the water was running directly over my hair and scalp. These buggers like to hang on. It took all of a week with the turpentine to kill them completely off my scalp, as some hatch at different rates, and you just keep going until they are gone.

Good luck.

Location hidden

#19 May 29, 2010
Thanks VERY much Over-it.

I too comb hair with scalp scrubby while shampooing and rinsing. I had such tangled hair it could take over an hour to comb through.

Will try the mixing with a variety of oils,etc.

I see no signs of scabies. Have seen photos online and couldn't say that's what this is. My feeling is HUGE demodex problem and likely "low-grade" (?) persistent staph.

I too remember hearing about it's use in the "olden days".

As a child (and well beyond) I was sick a lot. My grandparents would try to suggest herbs and other old remedies. I can still see my dad holding up his hand and saying: "Oh, no Mom and Dad. We use modern medicine and modern science!"

I went straight from childhood illnesses into adult illnesses at a very young age. What we later found out to be gall bladder attacks began when I was just 11 years old. I ended up with Pancreatitis due to kicking stones that blocked bile ducts. That's just 1 time that I was damn near dead (and spent a full week in the hospital). So many YEARS (30+) with so much pain. And that's just 1 example.

I've worked like crazy over the last 5 years since large breast cancer tumor on the chest wall was found, removed, and treated. 2 years prior to finding tumor, I was diagnosed as having a serious lung infection. At the end of that treatment with "big-guns" antibiotic, my R. lung collapsed.(That's where tumor was eventually found.) I don't believe I ever had that lung infection--they were looking at the tumor--in my opinion--
I was so sick for so long.
I got VERY lucky--nodes were clear, but they took 20 nodes--which means damage to that system and "results" of that.

Anyway--I was going for writing about my study and use of herbs, etc.

Thanks to everyone here. My best to everyone here.
Bitey

Portland, OR

#20 May 29, 2010
I had breast cancer also! My nodes clear. We should research if that causes an overabundance of demodex! We may be vulnerable to these things now after our severe treatments. I had lympadema in left arm for three years, I probably still have it a little bit. Everything affects it, eating bacon, salt, overdoing it, etc.

Location hidden

#21 May 29, 2010
Lymphedema me too. Since using the RXs for this crap, my arm has been better. Haven't worn Jobst sleeve for 4-5 days now. MN summers can be very hot and humid, so sometimes have to wrap-bandage. Am hoping for better summer.
The variety of oils helps my arm. I picked up Toasted Sesame Oil recently. Skin LOVES sesame and I smell like a yummy Asian salad!

I really think that the fact that we developed cancer to begin with, then add all the "ferocious" treatments, surgeries, etc.--we are just likely to get about anything.

I SO want to be and stay well that I am willing to go to "reasonable extremes".

Thanks for telling me Bitey.
How long for you?
I'm 6 1/2 yrs from diagnosis and 6 yrs from chemo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the cure is so simple, I can't believe it...... (Jan '11) 8 hr Anon 1,400
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 10 hr Wanda 4,639
Morgellons and Scabies....they are VERY SIMILAR 16 hr Convicted nor con... 4
Sam? Do scabies crawl OUTSIDE the skin when pe... (Dec '07) 20 hr miserable time 27
Can I Mix Permethrin 10% with Lotion to make 5%... (Jul '09) 20 hr 1234skinny 68
it is not scabies it is carpet beetles 23 hr Harry 7
small tiny clear bumps...looks like something i... (Jul '08) Sun John 36
More from around the web