can someon have scabies and show no symptoms?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of46
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
eechee

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

I have not discovered the source of my scabies infestation and I am worried I will perpetually be reinfected by someone with the infestation but who does not show symptoms. Is this possible? my doc dais it was and really the itching was not a universal allergic reaction - some people have it , and some don't.

I am freaked out about how to get rid of this stuff, HELP!
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

yes, it is possible to be infected by someone who does not show symptoms. The longer you have this, the more you become aware of where the infestation is coming from. Maybe someone from your work, or school. An area you share with someone, a computer that everyone uses at work or school. Sharing work cubicles. Pets. A friend's home you visit. Now you have to concentrate on getting rid of this, and don't obsess with where you got it.
janetinnyc

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2008

itty bitty,
just posted long sad story of mutating ninja mites. I think Sam may have had them just about this bad, but I'm beginning to think that the longer you have these, the more they mutate, and the more resistant they get.
I'm hoping that you are still planning to see Dr. Wanda Boote. I left a message begging her to prescribe more iver until I see her June 9. She did, although not a lot, still 2 9 mg doses, that says to me that she has compassion. But if there were two of us who present with exact same kind of symptoms, including the tough environmental side of it, we may all together come up with something.
I am also thinking about how to get to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, which is their center for infectious diseases. I'm not kidding--it's the way they're mutating, and the smell, which has become god awful. Maybe I'll go to my internist in the meantime, because Dr. Boote has her ways. She won't talk over the phone, which is a drawback, but a minor one, when you think she takes all the time she needs with each patient. She was the first of six dermatologists to do a close exam with magnifying glasses, do artful scrapings, and look at them under the microscope right away. This is her way--give the patient time in person, but no phone action.
Itty Bitty, I hope you can see her. She cost me $180.00, which was off-set by the cheap cost of Permethrin and Stromectol (even the brand) when prescribed. There's lots of affordable places to stay now in St Pete's, especially if you can drive (can you?)
dog hotel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

eechee wrote:
I have not discovered the source of my scabies infestation and I am worried I will perpetually be reinfected by someone with the infestation but who does not show symptoms. Is this possible? my doc dais it was and really the itching was not a universal allergic reaction - some people have it , and some don't.
I am freaked out about how to get rid of this stuff, HELP!
YES!! I am quite certain, though not totally sure than someone can have mites and not have any reaction. As near as I can tell, I "caught" my infestation from a dual-use hotel near King's Island, St. Louis, that is, a "people" motel that caters heavy to dogs, dog owners, dog shows, contests, puppy swaps and the like. As stupid as it now seems, I would think nothing about going from s hard hike or run, return to the room, shower, then plop back on the bed to have a nice phone yak with my wife.[[never touch hotel blankets!!, pull back and sit on sheet]]
I "caught" the first in mid-October but the major break-outs didn't happen until mid February. Since Christmas, I have been home and slept with my wife every night. She has no bumps. bites, itches of any kind. It just seem impossible that she does not have them ....
We both did a tube of Premethrin last Saturday, and I hope to talk her into another tube this weekend. Meanwhile, I am scrubbing and spraying EVERYTHING. Everything I wear, day and night, goes to the washer/dryer, including sheets, nite shirts, etc. The two chairs we sit in during the evening are covered with sheets and these sheets get washed every day too.
eechee

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

what about getting them from cats? I have heard definitive answers both yes and no.

the reason why it's important to know where they are coming from is to stop getting reinfected. Say my girlfriend has them but shows no symptoms than sleeping with her, though presumably benign, will cause a reinfection. I thought I had them on the run at one point but it seems they have come back for more. I am also confused about when it is safe to declare that they are all dead and gone since there is itchiness even after treatment...this is a total nightmare
Suffering in NY

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

I have treated 4 times with Perm 5% cream, and still have sores. I am wondering if these sores are from scratching sooooo much. Also, the newest thing I have is pimple like lesions. They start out red and are sore and then develope into a pimple (white head). Is this a reaction to the Perm cream or is this new break outs? Not sure if I should treat again. The itching does seem to have subsided some.
alhatesitchen

Oak Harbor, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

Suffering in NY wrote:
I have treated 4 times with Perm 5% cream, and still have sores. I am wondering if these sores are from scratching sooooo much. Also, the newest thing I have is pimple like lesions. They start out red and are sore and then develope into a pimple (white head). Is this a reaction to the Perm cream or is this new break outs? Not sure if I should treat again. The itching does seem to have subsided some.
Yes it can be reactions to perm and if you use it over and over(Not a good thing to do). Also it can be new break outs.
feduptothemax

Collegeville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

I have a friend who I have been around for years, I think he caught this one time from me in all the time we've been together but because of me, he knew what was happening right away, used my presriptions and got rid of it post haste, he hasn't been effected outwardly that I can tell since,(no complaints) however, I am like Bill Murray in "Groundhogs day" living the same nightmare over and over, also becuase I don't have crusts or anything to see with the naked eye, gives doctors an excuse not to believe me.
janetinnyc

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

feduptothemax. have you tried ivermectin? The folks who got to cure on this site did it with persistent treatment. I know you are a regular poster, so you are probably well aware of all of it. It's very frustrating when there are are few visible symptoms, or the symptoms are atypical and meanwhile, you're suffering. I know.
At one point, I had rings of red and purple that were dismissed by the derm! God, that is incredible. These were sci-fi looking, but didn't match the few recognizable sequelae this guy knew about. Don't you think he'd at least be curious to know what the heck those big rings were? He just said the ones on my behind were "irritation" and the other ones on my elbow, which were the same, but showed up a couple of weeks later, he called "benign." He made no attempt to identify either or explain why they were the same in different parts of my body.
I wouldn't count on most doctors to supply you with appropriate treatment, although I never gave up and have found someone--the first of 6 dermatologists--who is at least willing to go part of the way with me--maybe even see me through, we'll see, but I'm not depending on it.
Mite Killer

Del Mar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

So, Al...

here is your chance to attack another poster who mentions Ivermectin as a treatment for scabies. Don't bother to say that I think Ivermectin is the "only cure" or a "cure all" because I've never said that. I think topicals are an important part of treatment and I've always said so.

I'm not going to defend myself futher on this.

Good Luck to All. I love Ivermectin!
alhatesitchen

Oak Harbor, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

Mite Killer wrote:
So, Al...
here is your chance to attack another poster who mentions Ivermectin as a treatment for scabies. Don't bother to say that I think Ivermectin is the "only cure" or a "cure all" because I've never said that. I think topicals are an important part of treatment and I've always said so.
I'm not going to defend myself futher on this.
Good Luck to All. I love Ivermectin!
Keep using Ivermectin with no cure in sight.. You are doing yourself harm later down the road in life. Ivermectin does not work when you are still infested that goes for topicals too. To find the source of the mites is the key to the cure. I am trying to defend the new folks on here. Which you do not think about. I will leave it at that.
Mite Killer

Del Mar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

You are wrong. I do think about the new folks. If you are trying to defend the new folks, why would you tell them not to use Ivermectin?

Al, this is your quote: "Ivermectin does not work when you are still infested that goes for topicals too".

You just said that treatments don't work if your infested. That makes no sense at all. Do they work if your not infested? and if your not infested, why treat?
eechee

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

i appreciate everyone's thoughts...but people seem to be more interested in argusing over ivermectin...I need some advice about my situation - see above
Mite Killer

Del Mar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

All contacts should be treated even if they don't show signs of mites.

Eventually, anyone with scabies will display symptoms. Mites deposit poop in the skin which can be seen with good eye sight or with a viewing aid. It looks like dark blk or brown stuff. POOP! It's very unlikely that anyone would have scabies for more than a month and not feel something is wrong or see something going on with their skin.

Sorry you feel your question wasn't answered because Ivermectin was discussed but please realize that Ivermectin is an excellent treatment for scabies should not be put down by anyone. Many thousands of people have been cured by using Ivermectin.

Canada has some OTC scabies treatments available, ask the pharmacy.
Mite Killer

Del Mar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

eechee wrote:
what about getting them from cats? I have heard definitive answers both yes and no.
the reason why it's important to know where they are coming from is to stop getting reinfected. Say my girlfriend has them but shows no symptoms than sleeping with her, though presumably benign, will cause a reinfection. I thought I had them on the run at one point but it seems they have come back for more. I am also confused about when it is safe to declare that they are all dead and gone since there is itchiness even after treatment...this is a total nightmare
cats are mammals, they can get mange and can pick up and host mites from you. your girlfriend has to be treated at the same time as you. same goes for any pets.

the best way to tell if your are cured is that your skin will begin to look and feel normal again. New bumps and blisters usually means active live mites but some new bumps may develope from allergic response to dead mite debris. These bumps should clear in a few days if the mites are dead. Infections such as bacterial or yeast can develope from having scabies and they would look infected and red but won't spread like the tracks mite make in the skin.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

Ivermectin is always a hot topic. I don't know why, because it really is up there as far as effectiveness for curing scabies and sarcoptic mange. It's interesting, cause my vet, right away, put all my pets on ivermectin injections and oral doses. And he knew about Revolution. But, right away chose to use ivermectin, with a follow up of Revolution. So, go figure. Mite Killer is right about this, Al. I guess if you take something long enough, there is bound to be problems in the long run. Like smoking, drinking, eating too much, no exercise. It's all going to take a toll within time. So, what are we to do? Let the mites multiply on us? I don't think so. I have to say, the sulfur doesn't work that well on me. I always wake up with my eyes hurting from all the sulfur in my blood stream. I have to wash my eyes for about 5 minutes. So, you just have to be aware of what you are doing. Do your research. Try not to be too desperate with this. Reinfection is the major cause of ivermectin not working.
dog hotel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

To Janet in NYC and all:
I am interested in your purple & red sci-fi ring. I have two -- where a dermatologist tried to "fix" these spots by freezing. The original scabs are still in place after 4 months. One ring is nearing 2 inches, the other is about 3/4. Some docs think these are staph but swabs of the leaking plasma are negative. Another thinks that these rings are fungus and has me on gluconazole. Even tho it sort of hurts, I have been applying permethrin directly on these (and all the other) spots. I now believe that these rings are really a great number of scabie homes. I have been taking a picture most every day now for the 2 weeks since i first used premethrin. The rings are definitely getting bigger but seem to be slowly breaking up.

To those with strong arguments about ivermectin... Please don't make each other upset as we all need your best counsel. My G.P doc (the only one so far who successfully diagnosed my condition!!!) is afraid of ivermectin. As long as I am going to take her advice, I'll pass, even as I saw it at the feed store today.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

janetinnyc wrote:
itty bitty,
just posted long sad story of mutating ninja mites. I think Sam may have had them just about this bad, but I'm beginning to think that the longer you have these, the more they mutate, and the more resistant they get.
I'm hoping that you are still planning to see Dr. Wanda Boote. I left a message begging her to prescribe more iver until I see her June 9. She did, although not a lot, still 2 9 mg doses, that says to me that she has compassion. But if there were two of us who present with exact same kind of symptoms, including the tough environmental side of it, we may all together come up with something.
I am also thinking about how to get to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, which is their center for infectious diseases. I'm not kidding--it's the way they're mutating, and the smell, which has become god awful. Maybe I'll go to my internist in the meantime, because Dr. Boote has her ways. She won't talk over the phone, which is a drawback, but a minor one, when you think she takes all the time she needs with each patient. She was the first of six dermatologists to do a close exam with magnifying glasses, do artful scrapings, and look at them under the microscope right away. This is her way--give the patient time in person, but no phone action.
Itty Bitty, I hope you can see her. She cost me $180.00, which was off-set by the cheap cost of Permethrin and Stromectol (even the brand) when prescribed. There's lots of affordable places to stay now in St Pete's, especially if you can drive (can you?)
I wrote you an email. I do think these things mutate, too. They do become resistant. But, I try to stay on top of this. With my new dog, things have gotten worse around here. I look very good right now, all tan, not many marks at all. So, if I went to see her, she would frown at me, I just know it. It's because i'm treating myself for over 2 years now. I'm a pro at it. My derm flat out told me that I looked too good for iver. And i'm thinking, what the hell am I doing in her office. No one believes me. They think I'm a nucking fut case.
Itty Bitty Critters

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

dog hotel wrote:
To Janet in NYC and all:
I am interested in your purple & red sci-fi ring. I have two -- where a dermatologist tried to "fix" these spots by freezing. The original scabs are still in place after 4 months. One ring is nearing 2 inches, the other is about 3/4. Some docs think these are staph but swabs of the leaking plasma are negative. Another thinks that these rings are fungus and has me on gluconazole. Even tho it sort of hurts, I have been applying permethrin directly on these (and all the other) spots. I now believe that these rings are really a great number of scabie homes. I have been taking a picture most every day now for the 2 weeks since i first used premethrin. The rings are definitely getting bigger but seem to be slowly breaking up.
To those with strong arguments about ivermectin... Please don't make each other upset as we all need your best counsel. My G.P doc (the only one so far who successfully diagnosed my condition!!!) is afraid of ivermectin. As long as I am going to take her advice, I'll pass, even as I saw it at the feed store today.
Are these rings, what you would call lesions? There are many people out there with these lesions and they think they have morgellons. Could it be crusted scabies? My G.P. is afraid of iver, too. But, then again, he is totally not familiar with this med. There is a yahoo group you can join called finding1cure. It is a morgellons group. They do alot of things for their lesions. They are all taking opaline, an oxygen pill. Everyone has their own concoction to put on their lesions. They do things internally. the CDC is doing an investigation now on morgellons, as they just got so many complaints from people all over the united states.
eechee

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

i have many of the symptoms of scabies and have seen 3 doctors now who all thought i have them and yet there are no clear "track" marks, no infections around my hand or feet...

I have read that the kind of mites that cats get are different from scabies and they cannot live on us just as scabies won't live on pets. None of the people i have come in close contact with have developped symptoms...I dont understand any of this...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of46
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

173 Users are viewing the Scabies Forum right now

Search the Scabies Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 1 hr Ling 4,085
Natural cure for scabies (Feb '07) 2 hr Getting better 45
garlic --30 fresh cloves daily (Dec '11) 4 hr FRED 7
Suicide because of Scabies? (Oct '09) 10 hr try albendazole 195
Albendazole (Valbazen) Curing Me (Oct '13) 12 hr daitch 1,173
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) 20 hr norman robert hockley 439
Post Scabies Itch Syndrome (Mar '12) Wed littlefalcon 152
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••