How common are asymptomatic carriers ...

How common are asymptomatic carriers of scabies?

Posted in the Scabies Forum

Since: Feb 10

California

#1 Mar 27, 2010
Why are some people carriers of scabies, are not effected by them at all, and don't even know they are carriers?
buggie

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Mar 28, 2010
I have watched people who say they are not effected and/or don't believe in mites living in people's skin. I watched my friend scratch her head for a half an hour while she was watching TV. I was also reinfected by her a few times. She is in total denial that they exist.

I watched my grown daughter scratch above her right ear for hours as she sat at the computer. Since I washed all her hats in arm and hammer powdered laundry detergent and hot hot hot hot water she hasn't been scratching. She sleeps with her old dog and allows dogs to lie on her sofas. She's not into laundry, changing the bedsheets or vacuuming at all and the dog gets washed once or twice a year.

I infested two houses, my roommate and my old car. The larger house I infested by accident and removed myself from there. My roommate continued to clean the house for the owner and do her and his laundry. The man living in the house got more and more "allergies" and he eventually moved out of the house into his girlfriend's home. I can't say for sure why he moved but I suspect something in his house bothered him as my infested roommate flitted about his house cleaning and spreading mites or collembola all over the house. I secretly sprayed cedarcide in his house whenever I could but he noticed the aroma and forbade it.

I am SURE skinmites are misdiagnosed A LOT. I'm gonna be bold and guess 80% of the time.

As far as it being the scabies mite, I don't know if it was that exactly. I have read there are 45,000 identified mites (I believe it said mites maybe it said insects, now you got me confused from your other post lol ). I saw my mites diving into my skin a few times clear as day, I never had itching and my skin was clear. I FINALLY noticed the burrows a year into it - fine slivers of white like an old kitty scratch scar. I believe I was infested with pigeon mites/lice/fleas from the rooftop air conditioner in a pigeon infested area. My cat also got "something" I'm not sure what at the same time. Total nightmare, total life change, total upheaval of my life to say the least.
Pauline

UK

#3 Mar 15, 2011
I have had scabies twice now in the past 6 months and I have no idea where I am getting infected. I got infected the first time just after I started a new job and thought that there maybe someone there who is a carrier but there are five of us in the office and I seem to be the only one who has had them. My only other option is that my husband maybe a carrier but he doesn't go out much and doesn't come into contact with a great deal of people so I am stuck as to where I may have been infected. If anyone has any suggestions as to where I may be getting infected from please let me know as I am so fed up of scratching so much!!!
Jesselyn

United States

#5 Mar 17, 2011
yes, the Ivermectin is the best and easiest route to go with the pets IMO.
bethy

Portland, TN

#6 Dec 30, 2011
hi i too was wondering how common asymptomatic scabies carries are! but no good estimates appear as it must be difficult to gather stats... i believe i am an asymptomatic carrier and i had no idea whatsoever for months!!! but everytime my twin sister came home from university and hung out with me she was reinfested. symptoms occur from the mites droppings (poo) causing an allergic reaction on the skin. my twin sister has more sensitive skin than i, and she has a reaction while i have none. we are both getting treated with lice body cream. no prescription required!
Fred Up

Waco, TX

#7 Jan 1, 2012
bethy wrote:
hi i too was wondering how common asymptomatic scabies carries are! but no good estimates appear as it must be difficult to gather stats... i believe i am an asymptomatic carrier and i had no idea whatsoever for months!!! but everytime my twin sister came home from university and hung out with me she was reinfested. symptoms occur from the mites droppings (poo) causing an allergic reaction on the skin. my twin sister has more sensitive skin than i, and she has a reaction while i have none. we are both getting treated with lice body cream. no prescription required!
Bethy,
from reading your post, you sound like you ALREADY know plenty about asymptomatic carriers, as you ARE ONE. You are using a lice body cream, as your sister is. So, maybe you can tell us a thing or two about being asympltomatic. wink, wink. I hear that dark skinned prople, or how would say, browned skin people, do not show or present many lesions, as opposed to to light skinned people with blond hard and blue eyes. Personnally, I think that if you are heavily infested you will feel activity, no matter your body and immunity fights this. If you are not treating, then you will become a problem to family and friends. But, you seem to know alot about it. Give us your take on it.
Leah

Long Beach, CA

#8 Feb 4, 2012
Bethy and other,
My uncle lives in a nursing home. This is the second time he has gotton scabies and we don't know where it is coming from b/c no body else in the facility is showing symptoms. So you can be asymptomatic and still be contageous? Any literature or advice on this subject would be extreamly helpful.
Thanks,
Leah
Fred Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Bethy,
from reading your post, you sound like you ALREADY know plenty about asymptomatic carriers, as you ARE ONE. You are using a lice body cream, as your sister is. So, maybe you can tell us a thing or two about being asympltomatic. wink, wink. I hear that dark skinned prople, or how would say, browned skin people, do not show or present many lesions, as opposed to to light skinned people with blond hard and blue eyes. Personnally, I think that if you are heavily infested you will feel activity, no matter your body and immunity fights this. If you are not treating, then you will become a problem to family and friends. But, you seem to know alot about it. Give us your take on it.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#9 Feb 18, 2012
Leah wrote:
Bethy and other,
My uncle lives in a nursing home. This is the second time he has gotton scabies and we don't know where it is coming from b/c no body else in the facility is showing symptoms. So you can be asymptomatic and still be contageous? Any literature or advice on this subject would be extreamly helpful.
Thanks,
Leah
<quoted text>
I would really like more info on this too.
bugged out

El Centro, CA

#11 Feb 18, 2012
One month after I first contracted mites 4 years ago my husband and 1 year old daughter started to show symptoms, my 4 year old didn't. We all treated and they became asymptomatic while I continued to be infested even after dozens of different treatments. Over the years I have had varying levels of visible infestation while they have shown no visible signs. Only when my infestation is very high do they start to feel crawlies and complain about being itchy.

My youngest son who was born one year into my infestation does show visible signs of scabies and complains of itches but again only when my infestation is high, or when he is sick. When my infestation level goes down my youngest son's scabies start to clear up.

Some nights I can't sleep because mites are very active crawling all over me and my husband will say he never feels anything.

Because my children and husband do have mites on their body and clothes I try very hard not to have them infest others.

I believe they have built up an immune response that kills the mites.
asymtomatic

Leominster, MA

#12 Feb 19, 2012
I am the relatively common occurance of an asymtomatic mite carrier who is greatly under appreciated. Six months since exposure, very few symptoms, very little rash and itch, few bites, but an explosion of crawling in the past week. Six docs since learning of exposure month and a half ago, 4 diagnosises other than scabies, 1diagnosis of nothing, and 1 very reluctant unconvinced doc giving meds demanded since the unmistakeable crawling set in. I read similar post here by Sam, any current posters in this predicament? Please?
V from Ny

New York, NY

#13 May 4, 2012
Abstract

Scabies continues to be a major public health problem. Recent findings reveal that these mites produce substances that modulate the host's immune response resulting in the latency period prior to symptoms. In terms of treatment, two cases of ivermectin resistance have become apparent in Australia in patients treated over fifty times with the agent. Additionally, work in the development of vaccination of hosts with antigenic midgut proteins of mites to control ectoparasitic infestations continues.

Human scabies is a common public health problem worldwide with an estimated 300 million infected individuals. The associated mite, Sarcoptes scabiei var humanus, lives its entire lifespan in the stratum corneum of the human host. The adult female mite, which measures 0.4 by 0.3 mm and is too small to be seen by the naked eye, burrows a 1-cm long tunnel in the stratum corneum to the boundaries of the stratum granulosum of the epidermis. She lays her eggs within this burrow, where the emerging larvae complete their maturation. This organism has no protective mechanisms against enemies, because it has none.

Classic scabies is manifested as nocturnal pruritus. The pruritus associated with scabies results from a type-IV immunologic reaction to the mite, its secretions, or its fecal pellets. The incubation period prior to symptoms formerly was considered to be as little as 3 days to 6 weeks, but prolonged latency periods of 7 months or more are now acknowledged. Moreover, asymptomatic scabies-infested people are not uncommon and can be considered to be carriers [1]. Similar to the human response to other insects such as fleas, yellow jackets, and mosquitoes, there is a wide range of clinical responses to an infestation with scabies. There are numerous atypical presentations of this entity. Thus, within the same household, some of the occupants may be totally asymptomatic, while others demonstrate skin lesions and considerable itching.

Mites produce substances that modulate normal itch symptoms

The mites produce substances that modulate the host's immune response [2, 3, 4, 5]. Some of these substances stimulate keratinocytes to produce interleukin (IL)-1&#945; and IL-1&#946; [3]. In vitro studies of whole body extracts of the scabies mites reveal additional substances that modulate cytokine secretion by fibroblasts, keratinocytes, and monocytes [4, 5]. Additionally, the mites emit substances that stimulate the proliferation of T-regulatory cells and their secretion of IL-10, which would inhibit the inflammatory and immune responses in humans to the mites [2]. Thus, the arthropod itself is genetically endowed with immunologic material to thwart the host from responding to its presence in the skin, at least initially.
V from Ny

New York, NY

#14 May 4, 2012
asymtomatic wrote:
I am the relatively common occurance of an asymtomatic mite carrier who is greatly under appreciated. Six months since exposure, very few symptoms, very little rash and itch, few bites, but an explosion of crawling in the past week. Six docs since learning of exposure month and a half ago, 4 diagnosises other than scabies, 1diagnosis of nothing, and 1 very reluctant unconvinced doc giving meds demanded since the unmistakeable crawling set in. I read similar post here by Sam, any current posters in this predicament? Please?
I was the same. I thought was coming from my dog, gave dog away and after a week I was healed. Then one month and half pass by and again same symptoms. Few bites and then finally my body couldn't take anymore. Crawling pinpricks and itching at night. So it wasn't the dog or maybe he was a carrier. Or a fomite. But only now I know what I have and I am treating as I should have 5 months ago. When I started treating it , a rain of specks start falling off. It was nuts. I have a microscope I could see how they are. So I took my samples to derm he told me that I don't show clear symptoms. However I told him that I started treating myself w iver and perm. And I was having relief? So it was scabies otherwise medicine wouldn't work. I had it on my head too and believe me I have been in this for a month and just now I am feeling I am healing for sure. Crawling still thee little bit but will continue w iver for three weeks more and plus perm every 3 days. I don't care if I pay consequences for this overkilling but the stress sadness and how bad I felt it was killing me much more.
So derm prescribe me more permethrin he believed me I started crying I lost my dog bc I didn't know about this. I actually read about scabies but bc it says it is sexual transmitted I thought was the dog. And now I know hotels and planes are infested of this shit. So from now on I will boost my immune system neem and garlic pills. And neem body lotion forever and a cleaning regimen a lot more extreme that before. Bc if I am asymptomatic like that I will make sure not to catch it or at least to fight it every day of my life. My life changed w this forever. God bless all. Take care of your body. Embrace Heath at all cost. Stop smoking drinking sleep well etc. and shower twice daily always.
Vertical

Rochester, NY

#15 Nov 14, 2013
bethy wrote:
Lice are not the same as scabies. Which do you mean??
cbsd

France

#16 Jul 25, 2015
There are asymptomatic carriers who are crawling with scabies and do not develop symptoms except pruritus – they do not get bumps or pustules or anything for a month or so but they are contagious! You can see the brown head of the mites through the skin with a magnifying glass – it has the shape of a paraglider.

Since: Dec 14

Location hidden

#17 Jul 25, 2015
SPAMS of products, services or business names, including sales videos and links are in violation of Topix rules and they will be removed within 12 hours. SPAM will no longer be tolerated.
Don is a ff

Mountain View, CA

#18 Jul 28, 2015
Sure, don, like you are going to stop them....
are you now the scabies police? What a ff...
oh brother

United States

#19 Jul 28, 2015
Don walks softly and carries a big stick.
Wack-a-mole.
Dan

Mountain View, CA

#20 Jul 28, 2015
This is don beating cody

https://youtu.be/07JZg6JKwsU
Blu

Chicago, IL

#21 Aug 28, 2015
bugged out wrote:
One month after I first contracted mites 4 years ago my husband and 1 year old daughter started to show symptoms, my 4 year old didn't. We all treated and they became asymptomatic while I continued to be infested even after dozens of different treatments. Over the years I have had varying levels of visible infestation while they have shown no visible signs. Only when my infestation is very high do they start to feel crawlies and complain about being itchy.
My youngest son who was born one year into my infestation does show visible signs of scabies and complains of itches but again only when my infestation is high, or when he is sick. When my infestation level goes down my youngest son's scabies start to clear up.
Some nights I can't sleep because mites are very active crawling all over me and my husband will say he never feels anything.
Because my children and husband do have mites on their body and clothes I try very hard not to have them infest others.
I believe they have built up an immune response that kills the mites.

As someone who is currently trying to rid myself of these horrid and disgusting things to hear so nonchalantly describe them as something you "accept" kills me. How can you say you "try" not to let your children infect others when you yourself are the culprit and allow them to live (which is hardly living) with mites that eat off their dead flesh and lay eggs in their body!!!!!! People such as yourself shouldn't be allowed to procreate.
I cant figure out how I was infested, but knowing there are people like you infuriates me . People's lives are next to ruined over these things and lay in bed and let crawl all over you AND YOUR POOR KIDS... smh, shame on you.
Blu

Chicago, IL

#22 Aug 28, 2015
cbsd wrote:
There are asymptomatic carriers who are crawling with scabies and do not develop symptoms except pruritus – they do not get bumps or pustules or anything for a month or so but they are contagious! You can see the brown head of the mites through the skin with a magnifying glass – it has the shape of a paraglider.
That's flippen scaryscary. A pure nightmare! I WISH I COULD TELL WHO THEY ARE! So I could avoid them at all costs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lime sulfur 24 min tryingtocureit 30
Used the permetherin(?) On to sulfur. Now what? 47 min Marie 2
How to find out what type of mite you have (Jun '10) 14 hr Claireb 48
bleach bath recommended by dermatologist (Aug '07) Thu Rick 635
taking ivermectin- need directions Thu TaraBear 2
About mite Thu doctor rash 4
Ive scabies 5 years and still no cure I'm only ... (Oct '15) Wed Benzyl Alcohol 19
More from around the web