I started itching in August and saw 3 different nurses/doctors until the last one finally referred me to a dermatologist. The first diagnoses I recieved were anything from poison ivy, to heat rash, to dermatitis (all incorrect). But I itched much more at night, and the itching was concentrated in areas such as my thighs, belt line, and wrists.
The dermatologist gave me a scratch test (came up positive for scabies) perscribed me permetherin and I treated with it for 3 weeks at one week intervals (3 applications total). I also cleaned my environment immediately after getting out of bed each time (washed all sheets/recently worn clothes, vacuumed furniture and rugs). I bought a dust mite proof mattress cover and pillow covers. I changed my seat at work for the first week. I also spot treated problem areas with a sulfur cream i had anyway from proactiv that came with my acne wash.
After 4 weeks I was still itching and some of the spots developed into bigger red bumps (i think called nodular post scabies?). I am now treating these with a perscription cortosteroid i got from my dermatologist and I took claritin orally for itching. Finally after 6 weeks the itching went away completely. I heard that your body makes you allergic to scabies (causing itch) once it detects them, so you might be more allergic to dust mites that you were before until your body normalizes (this also explains why you dont feel scabies right away but if you are reinfested you feel it right away).
Its now been 7 weeks since my first application of permetherin and there are still faint red marks in the areas that were the worst infected but these are slowly turning to scars and disappearing and the itch is completely gone.
I hope this story helps anyone who is struggling with this and is just looking for a sign that there is hope that this will soon be over. I'd give it two months from your first treatment before you start re-treating since the permetherin is pretty harsh and I know I was definitely freaking out after 4 weeks and still itching. I'll check this thread periodically and try and answer any questions but the best advice I can give is see a real dermatologist, not a general doctor, if you can.