Scabies Is Highly Contagious

Scabies Is Highly Contagious

There are 7319 comments on the Healthcentral.com story from Oct 15, 2005, titled Scabies Is Highly Contagious. In it, Healthcentral.com reports that:

Scabies , a skin condition caused by a burrowing mite, is very contagious and can be spread through families and classrooms, the Mayo Clinic explains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Healthcentral.com.

Prayer Warrior

United States

#7373 Jul 27, 2013
Hi. I have been praying for all of you to be completely healed! The first thing I had to conquer with having a blood eating organism in my skin was fear! In order to conquer that fear I had to remind myself that God's love for me is great and that Jesus died on the cross to have power over disease. I didn't have the greatest faith but wanted victory over this tiny mite! I filled my heart with verses from the Bible about God wanting to heal us. I prayed for God to strengthen my faith. I was also very proactive with going to the doctor and demanding medicine. Three doctors thought it was some sort of dermatitis. But, anyone who has experienced this knows that it is an organism that needs killed! Please be at peace and have faith you will be healed from this because I am praying for each of you. Get Permethrin! Get Ivermectin! Most people do respond well to Permetherin Cream 5% prescribed from doctors others may need the Ivermectin. I also bought TEa Tree oil, Neem oil etc. The oils help your skin to not get infected but be careful they are strong and can cause anxiety and overuse or too strong can cause irritation. God gave us doctors in his great mercy and grace because most of us do not have strong faith. There may truly be some miracle substance that is more natural but I haven't heard of anything killing the mites immediately like Permetherin or Ivermectin. Just don't do what I did and try to use over the counter stuff! A huge consideration as well is cleanliness and pet issuses. Treat your dog or cat and coat your carpets with baking soda and salt and keep socks or shoes on. Crazy but my dog has never had fleas and sure enough right after I went through this my dog starts scratching! You are bigger than this little fricker and in God you can overcome! Dont be afraid to tell a close friend or family member. Also... the best remedy for the itch when its full blown is Neem oil with Tumeric (make a paste)! Be warned it will make your hands orange so use gloves! It will also color your clothes. After treatment with Permetherin or Ivermectin a good baking soda bath is awesome! Tea tree oil baths really help too. The natural treatments may work over time but dont kill them like the meds! I pray for each and every one of you to be healed. I pray ... in Jesus name that you will have money for meds and treatments. I pray for complete irradication and for never return. I pray this time is used for you to draw closer to God and allow him to heal you both from this and other things you may not have given to God over the years! What doesn't kill you will make you stronger if you let yourself cry out to God and be broken. I pray the blood of Jesus to cleanse your whole body soul mind and heart! "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed"! 1 Peter 2:24 "But whoever listens to me (Wisdom)shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil." Proverbs 1:33 You are loved!
infested

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#7374 Sep 11, 2013
This scabies thing is the worst thing that I have ever experienced. I had been using tea tree oil but it was tearing my skin apart. I switched to Paul Mitchel tea tree shampoo and they make tea tree soap. I have been taking three hour showers putting the soap all over and leaving it on. a Mixture of things come out of my skin. At first I was taking baths and soaking and tiny u-shaped things were all over the tub. after the first hour of doing this little worm looking things started coming out. Then the mites started climbing out. I have been doing this for three days today I did it twice. It is so disgusting worms and mites coming out of your skin and all over the tub. My arms are raw from scrubbing I am hoping this is going to eventually kill them all. I also use spider spray in the tub afterwards. I think they are dead after they crawl out. Has anyone experienced this?
tess

Bellevue, NE

#7376 Oct 7, 2013
That sounds terrible. did you try the cream from doctor to treat scabies? And did yo use the tea tree oil shampoo on your body or the soap?
infested wrote:
This scabies thing is the worst thing that I have ever experienced. I had been using tea tree oil but it was tearing my skin apart. I switched to Paul Mitchel tea tree shampoo and they make tea tree soap. I have been taking three hour showers putting the soap all over and leaving it on. a Mixture of things come out of my skin. At first I was taking baths and soaking and tiny u-shaped things were all over the tub. after the first hour of doing this little worm looking things started coming out. Then the mites started climbing out. I have been doing this for three days today I did it twice. It is so disgusting worms and mites coming out of your skin and all over the tub. My arms are raw from scrubbing I am hoping this is going to eventually kill them all. I also use spider spray in the tub afterwards. I think they are dead after they crawl out. Has anyone experienced this?

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#7377 Jan 3, 2014
Sam wrote:
Yhonnie, I know the feeling, but you can beat this and be happy again. I had crusted scabies and then a fungal infection, but I'm all clear now.
Let's talk. How long have you been itching and were you diagnosed? What treatments have you used and how long ago? Give us more specifics and we will try to help. National suicide hotline 1-800-273-TALK. If you need perm immediately an emergency room can help. A bath in borax or baking soda can give you a few hours relief. Hang in there.
If you're just freaking because a bug is in your skin, relax. There are other mites called demodex mites that live naturally in the skin.
Sam, bottom line how did you cure yourself?
been there-nc

Webster, NC

#7378 Feb 19, 2014
Scabies in Phoenix wrote:
Whats funny is I did Ivermectin for me, my partner and the cats, cleaned everything.
Then repeated 8 days later.
Clear for over 2 weeks and they are back.
Do the eggs take that long to hatch? and maybe the Ivermectin doesn't kill them?
Maybe I should double dose the Ivermectin..
I've read where 400ug/kg instead of 200ug/kg is safe and recommended for some animals.
Fucking desperate man. I'm lucky, have resources and a years supply of Ivermectin.
been-there-nc we had to take the ivermectin after treating our cats- and treat our home with borax its an old fashoined detergent. we also wash our clothes and bedding with it. I have felt them jump on me and tried the paste on myself it worked but I still used the sulfur soaps as well to shower directly after their treatments. I had to mix a bath to put on the cats becasue the internal ivermectin just kills the internal parasites inside the cats. NOT the ones on their hair same goes for you. Just take BORAX mix with water and a little peroxide (there are complete numbers online. Put it on but do not rinse off! I made it stronger for myself and put where ever I felt them and it worked along with the ivermectin, but I just used the JR enterprises for my cats and I just drank it its 25.00 per bottle, but have know people to eat the apple cattle paste its marked out in 50 lbs increments. Keep a bottle of 100 % alcohol with cotton balls and treat areas where you feel them or a bottle of hydrogen peroxide mixed with water and spray that if you feel them only kills ones on top of skin though. Keep washing, spraying, and treating animals and self until your cured.... I have known people to have them for 7 to 9 years!!!!! GOOD LUCK share any tips you find...
Wiser

Bangkok, Thailand

#7380 Apr 9, 2014
I have had an affliction on my forearms for 6 f.nnnn years. Comes and goes. Comes mostly when exposed to high levels of UV. Extreme if arc welding without protective clothing. Have always been told is a pre cancerous form of something. Have even had 3 surgical removals with the post op verdict to say same. Decided to "extract" some new lesions myself using tweezers in the hope of slowing it down. Discovered multiple cysts..some big, some small, some deep, some not. No itch until I did that. Then all hell broke loose! Track marks appeared from place to place and the ITCH! PLus noted that after sundown the lesions swelled and sometimes leaked blood. Ok. Some thoughts. Is this a secondary thing or what it always has been? Check out on internet. All points to some mite . Best recommended treatment? Permethrin. OK. Bought a bottle of 1% perm dog tick,mite and flea spray from supermarket.Result? Rapid decrease in spread and even a reduction in the small ones. But some lesions got bigger and got a tough layer over. Strangely painless to rip off and extract the cysts under. Is this scabies or what? I care not. Have now purchased ivermectin tabs from a vet shop and am going to use at the human dosage level. If the permethrin made a difference then I hope the ivermec will finish it. Have come to conclude that bugs out there have no knowledge of medical opinion ! Or is it that medical opinion has no real knowledge of the bugs?
Wiser

Bangkok, Thailand

#7381 Apr 9, 2014
Am going to follow a program of taking ivermec every 5 days 5 times. Have worked out that by now there are several consecutive generations of the mites in my skin. Nothing kills the eggs, only the mites. So as each generation of eggs hatch every 4 to 6 days I hope that will end the cycle. May my liver forgive me !
Hopeforthebetter

Kent, WA

#7382 May 31, 2014
Been there wrote:
To all of you frustrated people. This is just a suggestion. Find a doctor who will prescribe Ivermectin. It's the same medication the vets use to treat scarcoptic mange(same as scabies)in animals. We humans are animals too and it works just as well on us. Ivermectin is off label (not FDA approved for treatment of scabies)but has been used for years to treat scabies in humans and is very effective in hard to treat cases. The mite that causes scabies and mange seems to be resistant to the topical creams. I know how you all feel when you don't get the help you need from your doctors. Google Ivermectin and see for yourself. Print out the info and show it to your doctor. Take charge. Good luck finding a doctor who can help you get rid of the immortal mighty mite.
The mite is resistant to the topical creams. Just as the mite will pass from person to person, you can get the mite from your pets and pets can get them from you. Think about it. The mites just need a host and once they have one they stay until they are killed. Wash everything in hot water, bleach and borax and dry for over 1 hour in a hot dryer, including your shoes.
Hello There,
I have scabies since 3 month now(the actual physical signs only since a month), and i have used permethrin which didnt do a thing. The doctors didnt even want to believe me that i have scabies.Just because i didnt have the typical signs(outbreak at fingers, hands, feet etc).I mainly had them on my legs and on my back).Then i was prescribed Lindane.Dindt work neither.I cleaned my place like a maniac every day, bathed in Neem Oil and leaves,used Hydro Peroxide, Tea tree oil, boric acid, bleach, tumeric, dewormer, lotions, coconut oil, peru balsam,the list never ends....The outbreak was just getting worse and the itch too.Neew was just soothing and tea tree helped with the itch too.i even used cayenne pepper.only worked for a couple of days but it also burned my skin.I then took Ivermectin orally in a high dose.didnt do a THING!found new burrows 4 days later-which means-it obviously didnt kill the mite!I then went to the doctor AGAIN, and now they prescriped me Prednisone.They said that this is the Jackhammer from all things.Hope that works because i cant take it anymore...I suppose to take it for 5 days! I pray that this will stop.My life has been insane the last whole month!Does anyone has experience with Prednisone taken internally??? Cross fingers that will work....

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#7383 May 31, 2014
Hopeforthebetter wrote:
<quoted text>Hello There,
I have scabies since 3 month now(the actual physical signs only since a month), and i have used permethrin which didnt do a thing. The doctors didnt even want to believe me that i have scabies.Just because i didnt have the typical signs(outbreak at fingers, hands, feet etc).I mainly had them on my legs and on my back).Then i was prescribed Lindane.Dindt work neither.I cleaned my place like a maniac every day, bathed in Neem Oil and leaves,used Hydro Peroxide, Tea tree oil, boric acid, bleach, tumeric, dewormer, lotions, coconut oil, peru balsam,the list never ends....The outbreak was just getting worse and the itch too.Neew was just soothing and tea tree helped with the itch too.i even used cayenne pepper.only worked for a couple of days but it also burned my skin.I then took Ivermectin orally in a high dose.didnt do a THING!found new burrows 4 days later-which means-it obviously didnt kill the mite!I then went to the doctor AGAIN, and now they prescriped me Prednisone.They said that this is the Jackhammer from all things.Hope that works because i cant take it anymore...I suppose to take it for 5 days! I pray that this will stop.My life has been insane the last whole month!Does anyone has experience with Prednisone taken internally??? Cross fingers that will work....
Topical treatments will have little if any effect at this stage. After three months the mites have burrowed deep and even hot bleach baths won't reach them. You must take oral ivermectin every 4 days, dose is based on your weight, for one month. If you are not cured after 30 days move on to buying Valbazen aka the liquid form of Albendazole and take 5ml every 12 hours to be cured in one month.
john

Eskilstuna, Sweden

#7385 Dec 13, 2014
I have been suffering from scabies for 2 months and I use this (tenutex) for treating it, but i found it not effective as BBlotion.Not only that and yet i did not recover.

)
mmm

Dayton, OH

#7386 Feb 20, 2015
ShadyAZ wrote:
Don't bother taking your cat to the vet. Cat's can neither give nor recieve the mites.
Cats can give it to you
sunshine

Los Angeles, CA

#7387 Feb 20, 2015
Me too wrote:
Y'know what, before I went to the doctor I put tea tree oil on one itchy spot and it killed the itch immediately (just IMO) Then just now I ran across a tea tree oil site that claims it will kill these mites so I'm gonna try ir full body for a while (and maybe laundry) and see if it helps.
Good luck folks, this really sucks!
take a shower, do not dry off, pat tea tree oil over body, not cracks and face area. Also you can put 1/4 tea tree oil to 3/4 part shampoo(any) for hair. I did this and it works almost immediately. I do it every other day. Even though scabies is gone, i continue to do this twice a week just for safety. Something about the smell they dont like. Not recommended for girls going thru puberty. Walmart 7.00

Since: Apr 15

Laurel, MD

#7388 Apr 2, 2015
earlier on this forum in 2007 someone said something about allicin which is found in garlic, I am going to take that and take sea salt baths every other day and the days opposite of that I have washing with dog mange shampoo and leaving it on for 30 minutes, Scabies has taken 5 years of my life, I am starting to go bald, and no one else understands what I am going through, they bother my husband but not as much as they bother me, has anyone out there tried allicin pills and sea salts baths?
Bill

Taylor, MI

#7389 Apr 5, 2015
Hi

I tried allicin
pills and sea salts baths

It helps

but 1 cup arm and hammer powder version laundry soap in the bath and soak for 30 mins helped 1000 times more , I add 1 cup borax and 1/8 cup dawn dish soap and it causes all the bumps to cease .

Then rinse ,drain tub ,refill and add 2 tbls coconut oil and slosh arounf so it coats the skin and hair , it leaves a shield so bugs wont bite again , cococnut oil washed out of the hair in 1 shampoo and is good for the skin

Coconut oil 2 tbls in 32 oz of water sprayed in a windex bottle stops all movement of bugs instantly . thet is a good time to wash everything and throw out items not worth cleaning of bugs which is alot of repeated washings

arm and hammer soap works great as a soap to wash house 1 cup per gallon of water

God bless you ,,

Bill

call or write back and let me know how you are doing , It does get better pray Hard to God . He is Love and will help
mites wrote:
earlier on this forum in 2007 someone said something about allicin which is found in garlic, I am going to take that and take sea salt baths every other day and the days opposite of that I have washing with dog mange shampoo and leaving it on for 30 minutes, Scabies has taken 5 years of my life, I am starting to go bald, and no one else understands what I am going through, they bother my husband but not as much as they bother me, has anyone out there tried allicin pills and sea salts baths?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7390 Apr 12, 2015
mites wrote:
earlier on this forum in 2007 someone said something about allicin which is found in garlic, I am going to take that and take sea salt baths every other day and the days opposite of that I have washing with dog mange shampoo and leaving it on for 30 minutes, Scabies has taken 5 years of my life, I am starting to go bald, and no one else understands what I am going through, they bother my husband but not as much as they bother me, has anyone out there tried allicin pills and sea salts baths?
I took excessive and crazy amounts of garlic tablets for a couple of months to no avail. I also did salt baths and that helped a bit, but Bill is right, powdered Arm and Hammer detergent gets rid of lots of the ones near the surface. You'll find them on the bottom of the tub when you get out. It freaked me out so I bought a tub mat with holes in it so I wasn't sitting on the black bits in the tub. Just rinse the tub well after. My problem is that it's not available in Canada anymore. It helps a lot.
mary

United States

#7391 Apr 13, 2015
Bill will send you some. Just ask him. Do it through pay pal.
Anonymous

Turin, Italy

#7392 Apr 13, 2015
what is scabies

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7393 Apr 17, 2015
paxrello wrote:
what is scabies
Happy for you that you don't know.

Since: Apr 15

Laurel, MD

#7394 Apr 17, 2015
Bill wrote:
Hi
I tried allicin
pills and sea salts baths
It helps
but 1 cup arm and hammer powder version laundry soap in the bath and soak for 30 mins helped 1000 times more , I add 1 cup borax and 1/8 cup dawn dish soap and it causes all the bumps to cease .
Then rinse ,drain tub ,refill and add 2 tbls coconut oil and slosh arounf so it coats the skin and hair , it leaves a shield so bugs wont bite again , cococnut oil washed out of the hair in 1 shampoo and is good for the skin
Coconut oil 2 tbls in 32 oz of water sprayed in a windex bottle stops all movement of bugs instantly . thet is a good time to wash everything and throw out items not worth cleaning of bugs which is alot of repeated washings
arm and hammer soap works great as a soap to wash house 1 cup per gallon of water
God bless you ,,
Bill
call or write back and let me know how you are doing , It does get better pray Hard to God . He is Love and will help
<quoted text>
thx Bill i will try the arm and hammer in the bath, how many days did you do this? How did you treat your dog and cat if you have them? And are you cured already? Thanks also for the encouraging words that really helped.
Bill

Taylor, MI

#7395 Apr 26, 2015
Hi you can make your own arm and hammer

it is the sodium carbonate in the soap that is so effective

you can google how to make sodium carbonate
take baking soda and heat it to 400 degrees for 2 hrs in the oven , presto ! it turns to sodium carbonate . Ther is also alot of protease enzymes in the soap thet is meat tenderizer , easy to obtain , accent or one of the Canadian meat tenderizers will work . Thet is one of the ingredients in enzyme cleaners that are sold for this bug.

God bless you ,

Bill

ps for the deep ones pray real hard and dump on teds mange cure daily , they die

teds mange cure
thats 3 percent regular peroxide like from any grocery
16 oz peroxide
32 oz water
2 tbls borax
applly to skin and leave on till next shower , stops bumps and heals cuts very fast

if they are stubborn use

benzyol peroxide 2 percent works very well , it is like clearisil , sold at all pharmacies , or you can order the benzyol peroxide 2 percent on amazon , it works so fast your head will spin

Many many people used it and were cured in weeks , like Rita and many others , her husband was cured in 1 application . It is applied all over top of head to feet , left on till next shower , after shower reapply

Dont forget to barage the enevironment with arm an hammer soap 1 cup per gallon washes , for you heated baking soda turned to sodium carbonate , also just plain baking soda all over kills them too , and also and most important 2 tbls cococnut oil and 32 oz of wateer to lock the bug down in its oil , this is the best way to end them. Also the coconut oil 2 tbls in bath and bathe for 10 mins coats the skin to protect from bites and smothers any hatchlings , it washes off the hair in 1 shampoos and leaves hair like you are 16 again ,

mites wrote:
<quoted text>
thx Bill i will try the arm and hammer in the bath, how many days did you do this? How did you treat your dog and cat if you have them? And are you cured already? Thanks also for the encouraging words that really helped.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lime sulfur 9 hr tryingtocureit 30
Used the permetherin(?) On to sulfur. Now what? 9 hr Marie 2
How to find out what type of mite you have (Jun '10) Fri Claireb 48
bleach bath recommended by dermatologist (Aug '07) Thu Rick 635
taking ivermectin- need directions Thu TaraBear 2
About mite Thu doctor rash 4
Ive scabies 5 years and still no cure I'm only ... (Oct '15) Wed Benzyl Alcohol 19
ivermectin dosage chart and info (Oct '11) Jun 18 Mary 819
More from around the web